Start by marking “The Beeman” as Want to Read:
The Beeman

The Beeman

With rhyming text and warm, expressive paintings, this lovely picture book takes the reader through a year of beekeeping from the point of view of a little girl helping her beloved grandpa, who's known in the town as the Beeman. Written in the style of The House That Jack Built, the book touches upon all aspects of beekeeping. From how the keeper and his young helper dress

Published March 1st 2008 by Barefoot Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Beeman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beeman

Kathryn
Apr 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature-animals
The Beeman is just so gosh darn cute (love the cover!) and I know I would have thought it was ultra-cool if my grandpa was a beekeeper--mmm! The little girl in the story gets to follow along through the whole process of the honey from the bees' beginnings to the grandfather's harvesting and "spinning" the honey into the honey jars--and finally the family enjoying the honey on some of grandma's fresh baked muffins. Mmm! (And, um, I was TOTALLY fascinated by this process as a kid--I think it was ...more
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
The story is told in the format of The HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT, and tells of the tale of a beekeeper and what he does. The end pages have lots of information on bees making this a book that nicely dovetails fiction and nonfiction.
Julie
May 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to the world of bees! In rhyming text, a child describes the work Grandpa does to take care of honeybees and harvest the honey they make.
Bennett
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
1) No awards currently.
2) Prek through 2nd
3) The Beeman is an informational text in story format about the amazing honey bee. The book is told from the perspective of a young boy whose grandpa is a beekeeper and readers follow him as he learns about bee social interactions, beekeeping procedures and where honey comes from.
4) The Beeman is a book rich with great information about the complexities of the lives of bees while, engaging through the literary format it uses. Often when informational te
Den
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, children
Meet Grandad and his unusual job - he is a beekeeper.
The book introduces you to all the stages of beekeeping (from looking after the bees to putting honey on your toast) and then at the end goes into each stage in detail.
A charming, informative book.
Klyon
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
loved it and the bees
Mary Peble
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like that this book addresses both the biology of bees and the social aspects of beekeeping. Works for a range of ages because there is additional factual information following the story.
Dolly
Jul 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet tale about a grandfather who is also a beekeeper, told by his granddaughter. The narrative is rhyming and repetitive, and while it is similar to the rhythm of the story This is the House that Jack Built, this tale is more consecutive than cumulative. It's a fun book to read aloud and we enjoyed reading it together.

This story was selected as one of the books for the April 2010 - Environmental and Nature Themes reads at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at G
Jeff
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in nature, particularly bees
Recommended to Jeff by: found it on the library shelves
The Goodreads Description says it all.

A sweet (as honey, ha ha!), gentle introduction to beekeeping. 7 pages of more detailed facts to fill out the basic information presented in the picture book: a bees life cycle and basic anatomy, the structure of a bee colony, beekeeping basics, what honey is, what pollination is, the importance of bee dancing (the round dance and the wagtail, or waggle, dance), and a recipe for "Grandma's Apple and Honey Muffins."

The poetry and pictures share enough to hoo
Katie
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This was one of our topic books for Bee Week, and it was definitely a hit. The rhyming cadence, and cute *accurate* pictures of beekeeping were great. Not to mention, this book contained a LOT of information on bees and beekeeping while still being appropriate for preschoolers (read: not overly wordy, like some books. In fact, the word count for this book was actually rather low - they just fit a lot in there, and all in rhymes!) I was really impressed with this book, it was definitely a winner. ...more
Sunday Cummins
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
In this story, a grandchild follows a grandfather who is a beekeeper through a season of beekeeping. In poetic verse, the text is almost entirely facts about bees and the author incorporates specific vocabulary to describe the bees and the practice of beekeeping. The full-page illustrations clearly support the ideas in the text and there is additional information about these insects at the end of the book.

This would be an easy book to read aloud to students in the primary grades as part of an in
Cindy
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read aloud verse that packs tons of info about bees, honey collecting and bee keeping into an illustrated story about a boy and his grandpa, the beeman. Following the story are facts and further informations about bees, bee keeping, and honey. Great way for kids to further their awareness about where food really comes from (hint: not the store) and why the non toxic care and keeping of our planet is important.
Melissa
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
What's not to love about this book?! The rhythm is soothing and the pictures are detailed without being too busy for little eyes. And once again, gotta love Barefoot Books, the pages and pages of explanations, definitions, and factual information stored in the back like a prize at the end. My 2nd grader loves hearing this part almost as much as the fictional narrative!
Brandy
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love how informative this story is. And it's rhyming and repetitive text would definitely help keep kids' attention. While the illustrations are my favorite (just a personal preference for what I gravitate toward), they are engaging and colorful and I could definitely see kids enjoying it.
Tori
Mar 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A fun and informative rhyming picture book about all things bees. Any child who is curious will love this accurate but entertaining look at a beekeeper's life. You can find this and other Barefoot Books on my website.
Melanie
A well written and illustrated story about bee-keeping and how a beekeeper works with his bees. Information on bees and beekeeping are included in the back of the book, as well as a recipe for apple honey muffins.
Donna-Lee
Jan 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It is amazing how many facts about bees and beekeepers have been included in this great story for young children. Bolded words in the story are given further explanation in the endnotes. There is even a recipe for Grandma's Apple and Honey Muffins.
"The Beeman" is actually the author's husband.
Erika
Jul 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book started a fun conversation about bees and the making of honey.
Eliza
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love the illustrations. Rhyming verse makes it a great read-aloud.
Paula
TwoDrinks
Loved the tale and the rhymes but my favourite part was how there was a lot of beekeeping info. at the back if the book. It's suitable for a range of ages because of this. Would buy this book.
SamZ
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Super cute story with some awesome extra info at the end!
Jeffry
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Bees make honey. Beekeepers wear special suits. Honey is yummy. Learn all about it. No, you don't actually need to have your own children to read children's books.
The Library Lady
Oct 27, 2008 rated it liked it
The rhymes scan well, but somehow feel stilted. A pity, because the art, the story and the additional info are otherwise terrific.
Michelle
Sep 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
An excellent exlanation of beekeepers. I would use this with a grop of students.
Mary Beth
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rabbit-and-bear
Rabbit loves bees, so this one was a fun read for us...a great way to learn about beekeeping! I just wish that the book included a recipe for the muffins at the end!
Kerry