Start by marking “Sarah” as Want to Read:

Sarah was named a horror finalist in the 2017 Next Generation Indie Book Awards.

Seventeen-year-old horror fan Cain Shannon thought helping a ghost find her killers would be the supernatural adventure of a lifetime. Now, he just hopes to survive long enough to protect his family and friends from her.

A bet between friends goes horribly wrong, resulting in Sarah's death. When
Published December 1st 2016 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about Sarah, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sarah

Mischenko
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this one this morning! I’ve had it on my TBR and finally ordered a copy online after reading an awesome review @ boothtalksbooks. I have no idea what I was waiting for. This isn’t normally a genre I pick up, but I was pleasantly surprised!

Cain is your average teen going through high school, although he’s had to deal with the loss of his father and now lives with his younger sister and mother in a new house. Finn, his best friend, helps him around the house and they’re like broth
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
Oi.

So I am zero for three with my Netgalley titles for the year. This one is the best of the three, but honestly that's not saying much.

Let's all take a look at that cover, shall we? That cover is like 50 shades of scary and reminds me of The Exorcist meets The Ring. I did have high hopes for this book, and it wasn't horribleawful but there were a lot of things wrong with it.

Cain Shannon is a 17 year old captain of the soccer team. He dates the most popular girl in school, is really into nerdy t
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This book left me quite conflicted at how to rate it in the end. It's a Young Adult creepy ghostly story and it started off with really holding my interest. I could see where the plot was going early but sadly felt this book really feel flat and slow in the middle, for a long time. I was page-flicking and paragraph skipping. It was repetitive and predicable.

Then the last third blew my socks off! It was as though another author had taken over. The book got a lot darker, it had much more exciteme
Calvin Dean
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cain is a typical teen with a loyal friend named Finn and a fashionista girlfriend named Erin whom he’d like to ditch if he could only find the courage. Life in mom’s new house is a bed of roses except for the fact that the door to the attic, accessed through his bedroom, keeps swinging open in the middle of the night without reason. Or maybe there is a reason. A strategically placed camcorder captures a haunting figure in his bedroom as he sleeps. Is this the ghost of a girl killed while the h ...more
Ana Garza
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
First of all, the Harry Potter references make my heart smile. Now, back to the story. This was a well written book with easily relateable characters whom you can't help but root for. The story flowed well and I wanted to read quicker to see how it ended. It was suspenseful, but I wouldn't call it scary. Thank you to NetGalley for my copy of this novel.
Sarah Joint
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not usually tempted by young adult novels, but once I saw the cover and title of the book... I had to read this one. It's definitely written in a young adult manner, but I think horror fans in general will still enjoy it. It's a good old fashioned ghost story that keeps you on the edge of your seat. I burned right though it in one sitting.

I loved the dynamic between the main character and his friends. They rag on each other the way good friends always seem to do. It really helps you become
Celeste
I needed to give this book a few days to settle because I couldn’t tell what my rating should be. The story revolves mainly around Cain Shannon, who finds out his house is haunted by Sarah, a loner unpopular girl who used to go to his school before she was murdered.
Cain is an easy character to get to like, his family and friends more so. It almost makes you wonder what they ever did to deserve Sarah. Story progression is well paced and it’s easy a book to get through.
There were parts I didn’t l
Stephanie
Book thoughts on my blog Here

Solid 4 stars
Marvin
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
In Teri Polen's Young Adult horror novel Sarah we have the type of horror that is steeped in the emotions of teens yet interestingly stretches into adult horror often. Sarah is a ghost story and of course ghost stories are popular with all ages. Yet this one deftly merges mature topics with a tight horror tale and more than a taste of violence.

Cain is what most would consider a good guy . He is the captain of the soccer team and his head is on fairly straight, partially thanks to his BFF Finn wh
Darque  Dreamer
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sarah was a refreshing take on YA and ghost stories. With an emotional story line, and strong characters, it was gripping from the beginning! It was creepy and hard hitting, and definitely stuck with me.

I knew the moment I saw the cover, and read the synopsis, that I had to check out Sarah! I was not disappointed. It had a nice mix of creepiness to go along with the strong plot line, and very well-developed characters.

It was refreshing to read a young adult book from the perspective of a teenage
Stephanie
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I prefer horror stories of the creepy variety, and that’s exactly what Teri Polen has given us with Sarah. The novel gets creepier and creepier as Sarah’s ghost gains power, morphing from shadowy victim to gruesome and merciless avenger. At first Sarah uses Cain to gain strength. Then, after she starts exacting her revenge, she forces him to bear witness both to what happened to her and how she makes each of her murderers pay.

But there’s more to the novel than the creep factor. Sarah also contai
Cats of Ulthar March of Shoggoths
Review: SARAH by Teri Polen

SARAH had me turning pages so rapidly, I'm surprised the Kindles didn't ignite. It's an emotional roller coaster wrapped tautly in some really frightening manifestations. The "good guy" characters are appealing and heartwarming. The "jerk" characters (excepting the "ghost") are less evil than self-centered, narcissistic, selfish, and emotionally blind. Now the ghost: she's in a category by herself, and believe me, she's carved out her own niche and fully fills it. Ther
Babus Ahmed
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cain witnesses a number of creepy inexplicable occurrences in his bedroom and the attic storage space above it. When he finds out that his house was linked to the disappearance of a student from his school, he suspects his home might be haunted but doesn't count on the vengeance that ensues.

This YA horror thriller did some things very well, such as, the atmospheric haunting of Cain's room, depicting his relationship with Finn, his bestfriend, and his relationship with his younger sister, Maddie
Rebecca Howie
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Horror isn't usually a genre I read, but it was addictive, and terrifying, and I couldn't sleep without a light on for about a week after finishing it. And that ending wasn't expected in the slightest.
F.R.
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the day or so since I finished reading SARAH, I’ve been trying to figure out what it does right so as to utterly grip me. After all, this is a YA novel about the ghost of a teenage girl, and the other teenagers who encounter her. Written baldly like that, most people are going to feel that it’s something they’ve seen before/read before. (Teenage girl ghosts seem to be two a penny, why aren’t there more 1890’s escape-artist ghosts?) But Polen takes something that’s in danger of tipping into ha ...more
D. Peach
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sarah is categorized as YA horror and the book fits the genre perfectly. Sarah is a teenage ghost seeking revenge for her murder. She returns to the scene of the crime, now the home of Cain Shannon, a 17-year-old horror fan. At first, she appears shy and vulnerable, and Cain agrees to help her, but she’s not as helpless as he believes. With each bloody act of revenge, she grows in power, and her tactics increase in brutality. Before long, Cain is in the battle of his life against a ghost intent ...more
Nia Ireland
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is everything you could hope for in a teen haunting story - Cain, a likable high school student. He's a talented soccer player, cares deeply for his family following the death of his father and is just trying to do the right thing while navigating this crazy world.
The last thing he needs is for a ghost girl to start walking down the stairs from the attic and make herself at home in his bedroom. Obviously, that's exactly what happens and he has to figure out exactly what her story is an
Staci Troilo
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, ya
Teri Polen’s SARAH is the stuff that will keep you up at night. It’s the perfect blend of lighthearted teenage banter and blood-curdling horror elements. Shades of the television show Supernatural will keep fans of theWinchester brothers engrossed from the beginning through the last spine-tingling word of the epilogue.

Cain starts out as an affable teenage boy who too soon has become the man of the house because of the untimely death of his father. The addition of his best friend Finn creates a d
Teresa
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you like ghost stories you are gonna love this book. It is creepy, scary, and even terrifying in parts. Teri Polen has done an awesome job on this book. If it were made into a movie I would definitely go see it.

Seventeen year old Cain has a lot going on his life. He is the captain of the soccer team. He has a horrible snob girlfriend he can't stand. He has recently lost his Father to a tragic accident and has moved into a new house.

Cain and his best friend Finn are in his bedroom one night
Karen
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book introduces you to 17-year-old Cain Shannon. He and his family had to move to a smaller house, he cares for his younger sister and his cat, is on the soccer team, does not have the heart to break up with his trying girlfriend. Luckily he has his friend Finn to support him in hard times.

With Sarah, Teri Polen has created a remarkable and thrilling horror story for young adults, centred on a boy who suddenly has to face Sarah - a ghost. It is a compelling read, drawing you close to Cain,
Susan Angela Wallace
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
sarah by Teri Polen.
A bet between friends goes horribly wrong, resulting in Sarah’s death. When she returns to seek justice against those responsible, Cain agrees to help her. But when he discovers Sarah has been hijacking his body, he realizes she wants retribution instead of ju
E. Burks
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!

This book is definitely a thrill ride! From funny and sarcastic, to chilling and terrifying, I couldn't put it down. Picked it up and read it in an afternoon. I feel sorry for Sarah, but what she did to the others...well, you'll have to draw your own conclusions. I really enjoyed that this book was different from other horror books I've read. Sarah felt like a real person instead of a nasty baddy, and that was a unique perspective on ghosts. Loved the narrator in Cain, and definitely didn't
Fran
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very creepy story....part ghost story, part horror. Despite an annoying best friend character, this tense story built to a climactic finish....with a good last twist. Should be marketed to and enjoyed by a YA audience.
Doreena
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a phenomenally creepy story from word one! Thoroughly enjoyed this one! A must read for any supernatural/horror fan.
I'mogén
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 2.5 stars

I recvieved this via Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review, but that does not alter my opinion.

This was an interesting one. When I finally decided to give this a read, I wasn't really feeling myself and wanted nothing more than to feel another emotion other than sadness and confusion... So of course I turned to horror. Only, this wasn't really scary at all. Sure there were moments that made me uncomfortable, a little edgy before going to bed and not wanting to read
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

Lord, this was so boring, I am glad I got through. I could have DNFed it, but I decided to continue in the hopes it would get better. Sadly, it never did. :|

So my expectations were quite high for this one, when I saw it on Netgalley I just clicked the button to read it immediately. The cover was amazing (I love The Ring (original of course) and a lot of other creepy Japanese horror which feature that kind of dead girl behaviour
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Teri Polen's Sarah is a pleasingly creepy young adult horror. Fans of Supernatural will be delighted with this book. If you've ever watched any of those typical high-school rom-coms/dramas where guys make a bet to trick a girl, and boo'd at the screen, you'll enjoy Sarah. It's a twisted take on a classic plot that will make horror fans cheer. This is the version they were waiting on.

Cain and his best friend Finn are good kids that both have their heads screwed on straight. Cain took on a lot of
Anniek
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After losing his dad Cain moves into a new house with his mother and his younger sister. His mom is a realtor, so she got a great deal on this house. The door to the attic is in Cain's bedroom and soon after moving in strange things are starting to happen. Doors are opening by themselves, temperatures suddenly drop and stuff is moving on its own. Cain decides to investigate by setting up a video camera and the results are shocking. Can he find out what needs to be done to restore the peace in hi ...more
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
A few months back a girl Sarah was lead to a new house that was still under construction by these boys from her school. They told Sarah there was going to be a party at the construction site but when she arrived there was no one there but the four of them. Sarah soon learns that she has been had. The three boys have lured her there under false pretenses only to play a joke on her which results in her death.

Now a few months later a family has moved into the house where Sarah was killed. Cain, his
Karen • The Book Return
Read this review and more on my blog.
The Book Return Blog
Cain, his mother, and sister move into a new house after Cain's father dies. Right away Cain realizes that strange things are going on in the attic. He soon finds out that it has something to do with the disappearance of Sarah, a student at his high school.
I haven't read any horror novels but have a few on my TBR, so I thought this one would be a good one to start with since it is kind of mix of YA contemporary and horror.
What I Loved
I lov
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Readers That Love...: YA Horror/Thriller December 12th - January 30th 1 2 Dec 20, 2016 06:57AM
  • City of Ghosts
  • In the Dark
  • The Mall
  • Ouija
  • The Beast of London (Mina Murray #1)
  • HOOKED: A True Faerie Tale
  • Dead Leaves
  • Blood Oath, Blood River (The Downwinders, #1)
  • Stained
  • Polar Night
  • The Cure
  • Within
  • Becoming
Teri Polen reads and watches horror, sci-fi, and fantasy. The Walking Dead, Harry Potter, and anything Marvel-related are likely to cause fangirl delirium. She lives in Bowling Green, KY with her husband, sons, and black cat. Sarah, her debut novel, was named a horror finalist in the 2017 Next Generation Indie Book Awards.