Start by marking “The Young Man's Guide” as Want to Read:
The Young Man's Guide

The Young Man's Guide

In the nineteenth century, William Alcott's The Young Man's Guide paved the way toward personal and financial success for thousands of men. Now, in this unique rendition of his classic work, you, too, can use his wisdom to unlock your greatest potential and live a happy and prosperous life. From refining your appearance and handling social interactions to managing your fin ...more
Published May 12th 2008 by IndyPublish.com (first published 1834)

To ask other readers questions about The Young Man's Guide, please sign up.
Arete I believe Goodreads recommendation algorithm works by analyzing what the people who have read the books that you've read, have also read that you did…moreI believe Goodreads recommendation algorithm works by analyzing what the people who have read the books that you've read, have also read that you did not read.

So, in this sense, there could be no deep connection between the books, other than the trend that people who read the books that you mentioned tend to read this book.(less)

Mohammad Ali Abedi
Let me tell you about this book. Released in 1834, it was a book aimed at young men on how to live a better life, involving things like how to improve as a person, how to entertain yourself, and so on. From what I remember from the book, it tells you what kind of wife to marry, the games you shouldn’t play (basically, it seems, all games are dangerous, because it can lead to betting, which can lead to vices, which can lead to early death and damnation), to constantly read, but not novels, becaus ...more
Hana Jay Klokner
A book from 1834, The Young Man's Guide is a real gem between historical self-help / self-development books. I stumbled upon it by accident, downloaded the free Kindle edition and found it quite interesting.

The author gives various advice on young men's lives, pretty much any topic you can imagine: from marriage to being neat, on how to behave in society, get an education, run a business, but even such advice as how many meals to eat thorough the day.

While some of the ideas are old-fashioned (
John Yelverton
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish that I had been given this book before I entered college, started my first job, or even got married. Some of the advice in this book is pure, unadulterated gold, and I heartily recommend it for any young man looking for advice on how to conduct himself in life.
Harry
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
A temperance movement guy giving advice to young men on things like marriage etc etc, kinda boring but useful advice
Alxandra
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read the Kindle version from Project Gutenberg. The transcription is quite good with very rare errors.

I've been reading a few of William Alcott's Guides, including The Young Woman's Guide to Excellence. All of them provide fascinating insight into the turn 19th century. But, I was delighted to find this book provides more concrete examples and suggestions and covers information on how to conduct business, politeness, and choosing a wife. The book is heavily Christian based which is not surpri
Bhupesh Doda
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book because it was written a long time ago (1833) which gives a very good insight into the culture (American and little bit European). But more than that for readers especially young(i mean in their teens) will probably learn a lot from this book and ironically for 21st century young man in their 20's they will not benefit much from it as i think they are already ruined :P,but i believe its never too late to learn some few mantras of life which makes your life less miserable. In gen ...more
Jeremy
Mar 08, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eml
I do not recommend this book. I thought it would have some interesting things to say (though it's 150 years old), but most of its suggestions are severely outdated and meaningless in the modern era. The only quality advice it gives is "What man has done, man can do." That's a philosophy I sometimes employ.
Jaymason
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it
This book had plenty of good advice for a man just starting his life; However, it is dryer than an alum block. The first part of the book is easy to read, but once you're halfway through you'd prefer it just ended. I recommend it for anyone around college-age... as long as they're prepared for the boredome that ensues.
Jericho Eames
I think this is a handbook that everyone should have. It has little trinkets of reminders and how we should strive to live. It's interesting because even though it's written back in the 1700s, the lessons taught are still applicable in today's society.
Charles Reed
Jul 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately I was expecting to get more out of this book, however like many books from the past the ideas are a bit dated, making it difficult to appreciate the authors stylings,perhaps if I was around 50 years back or so I would have been able to appreciate the workings of this book.
Clint Flatt
Jul 10, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, man, list
As timely and prudent today as it was when written. This should be required reading for all men in their mid to late teens. If your older it is still worth the time to relearn your manners and revisit you expectations as a man in this world.
Bill Guinan
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit dated, neat book that attempts to instill some thinking into life.
Alauddin Ahammad
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
it was an exciting book. i recommended it to all of my friend.
Drennan
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book out loud to my kids. I really enjoyed it. Good, quick, practical wisdom that created good discussions with my children.
Bill Guinan
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Neat book, written in 1838 there are very many things that are out dated. Some of his thoughts on living and principles are still valid.
Stephen Chung
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lots of good stuff. especially on the qualities that one has to look in potential spouse.
David M.
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Should be required reading for all men between the ages of 16-25.
Shelley
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
1.75
Java
Mar 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Some good timeless advice is contained within. However, a lot of the information is dated 180 years after publication as well.
Joe Moss
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I plan to give this to each of my sons. The pearls of advice and wisdom provide a solid foundation on which boys can become men of fine character and integrity.
Fletch

• The Great Railway Bazaar
  • The Art of War/The Art of Warfare
  • Another Roadside Attraction
  • Bluebeard
Alcott was one of the most prolific authors in early American history. He wrote frequently on the topics of education and health. In 1836 he wrote a letter to the editor of the Boston Medical and Surgical Journal titled 'The Graham System' and signed it 'M.D.'

The cause of greatest interest in Alcott throughout his life was vegetarianism. In 1850 he wrote three long letters on vegetarianism to the
“He who will not work shall not eat.' Yet, so strong is the propensity to be thought 'gentlemen;' so general is this desire amongst the youth of this proud money making nation, that thousands upon thousands of them are, at this moment, in a state which may end in starvation; not so much because they are too lazy to earn their bread, as because they are too proud!” 1 likes
“Of all persons living, he who does not remember that he has once been young, is the most completely disqualified for giving youthful counsel.” 1 likes