Start by marking “The Paris Spy (Maggie Hope Mystery #7)” as Want to Read:
The Paris Spy (Maggie Hope Mystery #7)

The Paris Spy (Maggie Hope Mystery #7)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  3,292 Ratings  ·  459 Reviews
American-born spy and code-breaker extraordinaire Maggie Hope secretly navigates Nazi-occupied France to find two brave women during the darkest days of World War II in the latest novel in this New York Times bestselling series—“a treat for WWII buffs and mystery lovers alike.” (Booklist, on The Prime Minister’s Secret Agent)

Maggie Hope has come a long way since serving a
Published August 8th 2017 by Bantam (first published August 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Paris Spy, please sign up.
SFrick I personally would start with the first book which is:

Mr. Churchill's Secretary.

That is the first of the series.

There are a totall of 8.

Julie
The Paris Spy by Susan Elia MacNeal is a 2017 Bantam publication.

I admit I have been hoarding this book. I read the first six in rapid succession, but when I realized I only had one left and there could be a long wait before book eight, I decided to hold on to this one a little while. But, my willpower gave out- LOL!

When we last touched base with Maggie, she was headed to France with fellow SOE agents Hugh and Sarah. After a dull and dreary waiting period, she finally assumes her new identity
Kaitlyn Dunnett
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This would have been a five if this book hadn't done the same thing the last one in the series did. The mystery was solved, the villain had been captured, and the plot had reached a satisfying resolution . . . and then there was another chunk of text leading up to a totally unnecessary cliffhanger. So now, again, readers have to wait a year or more to find out what happens next. If I like the author's voice and the characters in a series, I don't have to be tricked into buying the next book. Ide ...more
Holly  B
This is #7 of the Maggie Hope series. Maggie is an American spy on a mission in Paris to help with the defeat of Germany in WWII.

Maggie works with other spies in Paris and they find themselves being interrogated and arrested by the Gestapo. Maggie was sent to Paris to find out what happened to another agent, Erica Calvert. Maggie is afraid she may have been captured. There are a few "cringe" moments, lots of suspense, and a sense of how devastating things were under Nazi occupation in Paris. I e
Cindy Burnett
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Paris Spy is the seventh installment in the Maggie Hope series and my favorite book in the series. I began reading the series when MacNeal first wrote Mr. Churchill’s Secretary and always eagerly anticipate Maggie’s next adventure. The Paris Spy does not disappoint as Maggie navigates Nazi-occupied Paris on a mission to recover two individuals that have disappeared, one another SOE spy and the other her half-sister. Coco Chanel makes an appearance, and since Maggie is posing as an engaged so ...more
Karen ⊰✿
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
eyes.2c
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Germans wore grey.

I adore Maggie Hope. She's right out of 'Girls Own Magazine', a patterned heroine with a grownup twist.
In Paris Spy Maggie is once again in the thick of things. This time she's called in favours from 'high places' to get herself over to occupied Paris--at the Ritz of course! Now that's a cover!
She meets Coco! (As a side tack Chanel was reputably an ant-Semite and she had a German lover, Baron Hans Günther von Dincklage.) MacNeal has Maggie meeting Dincklage at Maxims after
The Library Lady
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
As someone else said so well, book by book Maggie has gone more and more from being a clever secretary to a superhero/action figure. Her books are beginning to feel as if they were scripted by Marvel Comics writers. Maggie powers through her adventures, with one lucky coinky-dink after another, with an absurd action sequence to get her out of trouble, followed by another annoying "cliff hanger" ending. It's like watching an old time "to be continued" serial at a movie of the period, with perhaps ...more
Mary Keen
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-overdrive
I think this book was well-written with descriptive passages. I almost didn't read it when I realized it was part of one of those series --but its being the first one I've read, it didn't seem predictable like that. I wouldn't read another of her Maggie series books tho'.

I would have given this 5 stars, except for the inane, frivolous, totally improbable conversation (SPOILER) between the 2 women and the pilot toward the end. I wondered why anyone could possibly be dumb enough to accuse someone
Maureen Timerman
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
We are back with our beloved Maggie and spend a lot of time in German occupied Paris, and become completely immersed in the WWII time period.
The Special Operations Executives are trying to bring information back to England to confirm the best landing spot for Allied troops, and we experience head on all that happens to these spies, and those who risk their lives to keep our freedom.
This time our girl is supposed to be Irish lass, a rather rich one, who is shopping for her coming wedding. We the
Tony Hisgett
Sep 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: historical, mystery
After finishing the book I was so annoyed I nearly didn’t bother writing a review.
This is the seventh Maggie Hope book I have read and it’s the first I have actually hated.

After an interesting prologue the first few chapters were boring and I began to wonder what Maggie was actually doing. I got fed up with the author trying to prove she was being historically accurate, which in the main, she wasn’t.

I thought the last few chapters were promising and these might have saved the book, until the un
nikkia neil
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, mystery
Thanks Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine and netgalley for this ARC.

Maggie Hope's stories are always thrilling and full of nervous moments. She's the female action star of historical mystery! I can't wait to see how she handles the cliffhanger at the end of this one.
Penny
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is by far the best Maggie Hope mystery. Both the character and the author have matured and improved. Bravo!
Kate Baxter
Wow! This may well be the best book yet in the Maggie Hope mystery series - beautifully written by Susan Elia MacNeal. The scenes are taut with tension, the whole gamut of human emotion explored and detailed descriptions of elaborate and even sparse settings for every scene.

Prepare to be transported to occupied Paris during the spring of 1942. Hear the jackboots pound the pavement; listen to the seductive native Parisian lilt speech and suffer the Germans slaughtering the French language. Smell
Elaine
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Follow up for the ending

I love the Maggie Hope books. This book was exciting. Some parts for desperate people in desperate situations. What happened at the end? It left us dangling until the next book? I dislike books that don't have a plausible ending. I could be dead before the next book is written and published. Why do authors do this to their dedicated readers? I feel cheated and my mouth is still open in disbelief on how the book ended.
Lisa B.
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In book #7 of the Maggie Hope series, we find out girl Maggie in Nazi occupied France. She has gone there undercover to search for a fellow SOE agent and her half sister.

I honestly think I held my breath for most of this story. These are scary times and Maggie is not sure who she can trust. Little did I realize what would happen to Maggie at the very end.

Ms. MacNeal has given us a real page turner. I have enjoyed going along for all of Maggie’s adventures. With the ending on this story, I am anx
Jonathan
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. I absolutely love this series, and can't wait for the next one!
Susie
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, favorites
The Paris Spy is the next installment of the Maggie Hope series by Susan Elia MacNeal. For fans of the series, this installment will not disappoint. I will say, though, that the cliff hanger endings seem to be escalating from book to book so I hope readers won't be looking for a tidy resolution just yet!

In this book, as the title suggests, Maggie arrives in France where she tries to accomplish her mission and find her half sister. There are a number of new characters introduced, from mysterious
Nancy
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is the fourth Maggie Hope novel that I've read and it affected me in a way that the others did not: this book illustrates the complicated morality present in politics and warfare.

I am a fan of series fiction and read the other stories in this series as light entertainment. This book certainly doesn't have the pretense of being much more than that, but the subject matter (Paris during the German occupation) easily introduced the light, dark, and grey that is present on both sides of any conf
Kathy
The Paris Spy by Susan Elia MacNeal is #7 in the Maggie Hope Mystery series set during WWII. I have been an ardent fan of this series since the beginning, and I was rather surprised when I realized that we were to the seventh title already. Time really does fly when you’re having fun, or when you’re reading an amazing series. What first engaged me in this series was the absolute connection to Maggie in her surroundings, war-torn London. MacNeal had brought the feeling of walking down a bomb rava ...more
Linda Zagon
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it

MY Review of "THE PARIS SPY"

I enjoyed "The Paris Spy" by Susan Elia MacNeal. The genres of this story are Historical Fiction,  Fiction, and Mystery.  The timeline of the story is during World War Two, and takes place mostly in Paris, and London.

This is the seventh novel in a series of books. This is the first book that I have read, but I found it easy to keep up with the characters. I don't think it is necessary to read the other books, but I would like to.

The author describes the characters as
Susan
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won a proof edition of this book (yes, the draws are real, and yes it could happen to you!). Thank you very much for choosing me - I was so happy to not have to wait until August!

I think that this, the 7th installment of the adventures of Maggie Hope by Susan Elia MacNeal, is the best one yet.
I've enjoyed all of them, but this one had less of the romance and more of the history and mystery that I love. It is somewhat drier, and does do without some of the cutesy moments that appeal to some fan
Cynthia
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was hesitant to read "Paris Spy" for fear it would b too romance novelly and it was a bit but the World War ll aspect as well as the character building far outweighed that. Its not too often endings catch me so off guard but this one absolutely did. Apparently Maggie Hope is an ongoing feature of this series and this is the first novel I've read so I felt lost at times but not completely though enough to recommend to others to read the books in succession.

I was struck by the realism and by th
Daniella Bernett
Steeped in intrigue, "The Paris Spy" is a multilayered spy/mystery thriller that vividly depicts the fraught tensions and sacrifices made during World War II. I couldn't put this book down.
Mary
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Exciting new chapter with a "oh no!" Ending. When is book #8 due out?
Vanessa
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I think this may be the best one yet. And that says a lot, because the entire series is pretty great. In this, Maggie Hope is in Paris to find a missing operative and to hopefully track down her half sister who went missing when they were attempting to extract her. Sarah and Hugh are also working on their own objectives. Plus there is a mole that they need to uncover. Coco Chanel also makes an appearance and that part is especially realistic. The author clearly did her research there. For anyone ...more
Melodie
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
An OK read, but nowhere near the quality of Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs series. Too many "coincidences" and chance meetings with famous people, i.e. Coco Chanel. 2.5 stars at best, but feeling generous and going up .5 stars rather than down. OK to pass the time, but other books I really WANT to read are calling out to me. Don't think I'll go farther with this series.
Sona
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Really enjoy this series, only wish they recapped some of the events from the previous book rather than alluding to them, to make some aspects of this story clearer.
The Lit Bitch
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Maggie Hope mystery series is part mystery and part spy….probably heavier on the spy side but it has murder mystery elements woven in for variety. Some might argue that this series isn’t sure what it is….is it spy or mystery but in my opinion, I like the variation. It keeps thing exciting for me, having a character solve murders in one book and then go on a spy mission in another book.

I’ve been a fan of this series for some time now and though I haven’t loved every book, I love Maggie as a c
Kristina
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
The Paris Spy by Susan Elia MacNeal is the seventh novel in A Maggie Hope Mystery series. Maggie Hope is in agent with SOE—Special Operations Executive. She is in occupied Paris waiting for the documents she needs to start her assignment. Maggie wants to find her missing half-sister, Elise Hess and fellow spy, Erica Calvert. Erica had been sent to get soil samples England needs to plan its invasion. They know that Erica was captured, but they do not know where she hid the samples she obtained. M ...more
Marilyn Watson
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
The latest story of Susan Elias MacNeal, The Paris Spy, has all the smoothness of a Chàteau Lafitte Rothschild. The descriptions are lovely on the Rue Saint Honorè, a boulevard filled with People- though there is the palatable taste of fear mixed with patriotism. I can actually see Paris like a downtrodden flower, with rainy streets trampled by the Germans. The darkness, filled with humiliation for some... beauty and fashion for others.

Maggie Hope has a job to do for Intelligence. She is posing
Susan Elia MacNeal is the author of The New York Times, Washington Post, Publishers Weekly and USA Today-bestselling Maggie Hope mystery series, starting with the Edgar Award-nominated and Barry Award-winning MR. CHURCHILL'S SECRETARY, which is now in its 22nd printing. She is currently at work on THE PRISONER IN THE CASTLE, the eighth novel in the series, scheduled to be published 8/7/2018.

Her bo
More about Susan Elia MacNeal

Maggie Hope Mystery (8 books)
  • Mr. Churchill's Secretary (Maggie Hope Mystery, #1)
  • Princess Elizabeth's Spy (Maggie Hope Mystery, #2)
  • His Majesty's Hope (Maggie Hope Mystery, #3)
  • The Prime Minister's Secret Agent (Maggie Hope, #4)
  • Mrs. Roosevelt’s Confidante (Maggie Hope Mystery, #5)
  • The Queen's Accomplice (Maggie Hope Mystery #6)
  • The Prisoner in the Castle (Maggie Hope Mystery #8)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
  • Horrorstör
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • The Secret Mother
    $2.99 $1.49
“No great country was ever saved by good men, because good men will not go the lengths that may be necessary. —HORACE WALPOLE,” 1 likes
“Without the freedom to criticize, there is no true praise.” 1 likes