Start by marking “After Lambana” as Want to Read:
After Lambana

After Lambana

Lambana, the realm of the Diwata, has fallen, the Magic Prohibition Act has been signed into law, and there is something wrong with Conrad’s heart. Only magic can delay his inevitable death, and so he meets with Ignacio, a friend who promises to hook him up with Diwata and magic-derived treatments, illegal though this may be.

But during the course of the night, Conrad may j
Paperback, First Edition, 196 pages
Published November 2016 by Visprint, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about After Lambana, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After Lambana

Start your review of After Lambana
Jedi JC Daquis
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I always hold a high regard for Mervin Malonzo's work ever since Tabi Po. His art work in Tabi Po, Ang Subersibo and now After Lambana are always high in quality, and IMHO one of the best contemporary local Filipino comic artists. His art can be best described as immersive, where readers are being brought in to the story itself, be it the Spanish era of Tabi Po and Ang Subersibo or the phosphorescent city nightlife in After Lambana.

This is my first time reading a work written by Eliza Victoria.
Neil (or bleed)
Oct 13, 2018 rated it liked it
The pages of my copy is falling apart so 3 stars. Just kidding.

Aesthetically pleasing and somehow, immersive, After Lambana gives us an almost quiet story yet screaming with intensity and dread. It is a modern tale between the diwatas, sirenas, and humans that gives a familiar and surreal vibe while reading the book.

I don't have any idea where the story going at first but it is fine, really, since I like being surprised. But I'm mildy disappointed when I've connected the dots and learned what t
Nicolo
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philippine-komix
After finishing this book, I went to the afterword, which I am wont to after enjoying a satisfying volume. The afterword is written by the artist, Mervin Malonzo, who has made it a point to include an afterword and bonus conceptual sketches to help the reader cool down after an engaging read. In this case, this reader needed the after to decompress after visiting four realms of different hues and tones of a 24 hour story done in 196 pages.

In the afterword, the artist revealed that writer Eliza V
Ari
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
After Lambana feels rather like "After Dark" meets "Neverwhere." Two almost-strangers meet and spend a night pursuing an elusive cure, the search for which leads both to discover certain truths about their pasts.

Overall, the book's project--a surreal, one-night fantasy mystery--is a solid one, that dares something different in both its story and its art. The experiment finds limited success. Narrative focus is weak, but while the conclusion is less than satisfying, the story is well-paced and in
O
Interesting concept + lovely artwork. I feel like the story should've been expanded more because it felt...a bit lacking in the end. I also had issues with some of the grammar errors, but what annoyed me the most was the font for the diwata language. It's unreadable in some parts, which is a big no-no for me in a graphic novel. I wish they had focused more on the plot content than visual effects (like said font becoming unreadable during a time of conflict because the artist put layer upon layer ...more
Rafael
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I need more books from this world!
Vim
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
When there's a magical disease spreading in the neighborhood, who you gonna call? Who indeed, in a world where magic has been banned and the ones who practice and are of magic are persecuted? Lambana has fallen and the magical folk who could once freely cross between our world and theirs are stuck here. And it seems that only they could help the ailing Conrad, aided by the mysterious Ignacio, be free of the blooming (literally) disease that has invaded heart. In this one-night adventure, we foll ...more
Dexter
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Following the events that brought about the realm of Lambana sealing shut and the Magic Prohibition Law enacted, a strange phenomenon surfaces. Humans became bearers of a life and its eventual blooming brings death in its wake. Conrad finds his heart in trouble and the only way to be saved is to put his life in the hands of his friend, Ignacio, and search for a cure in magic despite it being outlawed. We follow the two navigate places familiar and unknown and in their quest, Lambana’s secrets un ...more
kb
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Art is striking & haunting, world building is wow, can we have more of this mermaids & fairies, Filipino style?? Did take me a little while to understand plot (lol slowpoke × some blurry Diwata texts), but gripping. Quick but intense. Recommended to fantasy readers. (A couple of reader friends have also commented that this deserves a Netflix adaptation or something similar!)

Here are all the books I read in 2019! :)
dantheolumona | aviecayl uy
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I bought "After Lambana" by Eliza Victoria and Mervin Malonzo as a birthday present for myself. When I saw the first page of this book (the page "covering" the heart), I was already in awe. In addition to that, the first line was "You know how you can tell a person was killed by a Sirena?" - ah! As a result, I immediately read this after purchasing.

I had been reading some works of Eliza Victoria recently:
1. A Bottle of Storm Clouds (Short Stories) - 4.75 / 5 stars
2. Dwellers - 3.25 / 5 stars

I ha
Anne
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A collab between Eliza Victoria and Mervin Malonzo? Yes, please! This graphic novel merges the best of both worlds: Eliza's narrative and Mervin's haunting art. It was a 3-years-in-the-making project, but it was worth the wait. I loved the storytelling in both prose and visual form. Eliza's narrative caught my attention that I found myself flipping page after page to find out how the story unfolds. Mervin's gritty and eclectic visuals made the story come alive. I especially loved the color schem ...more
Chapy Fadullon
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The narrative's a bit hazy and the ending's a little underwhelming. However, the world conjured up by the author was really interesting -- one wherein humans and diwatas coexist in the modern world. The author's world had huge potential and would've really benefitted from being a bit longer or having a companion piece; something that'd provide the author's human-diwata-modern-world with more background. Although, I'd understand if the author intended it to exist as a one-shot so that the univers ...more
D
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A collaboration between Eliza Victoria and Mervyn Malonzo? Please count me in! And it doesn't disappoint. Mervyn Malonzo's own works are usually set in the past and it's quite a treat to see him draw contemporary scenes (can we say even futuristic ones?) for After Lambana. My only problem is I wish this was longer because I would have liked to see more of the story. The pacing is good for the most part, but I feel like the reveal is somewhat rushed.

Definitely something to read again and savour,
Chrissie Peria
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brings to mind the fairy-related stories from Sandman. Excellent read, highly recommended. Would love to see more stories from this universe.
Fran
Three stars for the plot. Five stars for the illustrations.
Lacus
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
The graphics is beautiful. The art really gives more depth and character to the story.

The story follows Conrad and his quest to find a cure for his illness. The illness in itself is magical, and it is the 'heart' of the story. Through Conrad's adventure, we learned about the diwatas and how it is connected to Conrad and the illness that plagues the mortal world.

The story felt a little bit rushed and some details are crammed. Maybe because they are trying to fit the story in one book. However, th
✨ Roseey ✨

I had high hopes for this one. While I am truly astounded by Mervin Malonzo's skill and artistry manifested in every panel, I found the narrative quite disjointed and lacking. Maybe it's just my poor ass brain, but I didn't quite feel sated by the story. Nevertheless, as this is my foray into Eliza Victoria's works, my keen interest to read her other works remains unfazed.
Christian
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I was not able to fully grasp the plot on the first reading but you'll eventually get it after a few more tries (it's a graphic novel and it's short). What really made this book so endearing are the art (stunning!) and the concept (diwatas and humans co-existing in a noir-ish Manila). Had a great time.
Akda
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Eliza Victoria's stories never ceases to leave me wanting more. The illustration by Marvin Malonzo fits perfectly and reminds me of my komik reading days. Poignant, expressive, but colorful in the right places.
Amanda
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thesis-pegs
i loved this, and i’d like to read more like it. some parts were confusing though, so i think i’ll have to give it 4 stars and another read in the near future.
Gemma Serame
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the first work of Marvin Malonzo and Eliza Victoria that I've read. I love the story and the artwork! I can see myself re-reading this again.
Jenny Balsamo
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
<3 ...more
Majuchan
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Extraordinary story and illustration combo! You won't be able to put this down.

Review to follow.
Aug 11, 2017
Jasmine
Aug 08, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Shadow Witness (Trese, #7)
  • Mythspace, Volume 1
  • Tabi Po: Isyu 1
  • Ella Arcangel: Tomo Una: Ito ay Panganib (Ella Arcangel, #1)
  • The Mythology Class: A Graphic Novel
  • Stars in Jars: Strange and Fantastic Stories
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Labanang Manananggal-Mambabarang
  • Midnight Tribunal (Trese, #5)
  • Sagala, The Complete Volume
  • After Eden
  • Murder on Balete Drive (Trese, #1)
  • Alternative Alamat: Stories Inspired by Philippine Mythology
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Tiyanak ng Tábon (Janus Sílang, #1)
  • Unreported Murders (Trese, #2)
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Labanáng Manananggal-Mambabarang (Janus Sílang, #2)
  • Bagay Tayo
  • The Girl and the Ghost
  • Dead Balagtas Tomo 1: Sayaw ng mga Dagat at Lupa
Eliza Victoria is the author of several books including the Philippine National Book Award-winning Dwellers (2014), the novel Wounded Little Gods (2016), the graphic novel After Lambana (2016, a collaboration with Mervin Malonzo), and the science fiction novel-in-stories, Nightfall (2018). Her fiction and poetry have appeared in several online and print publications, most recently in LONTAR: The J ...more