Start by marking “The Hidden School: Return of the Peaceful Warrior” as Want to Read:
The Hidden School: Return of the Peaceful Warrior

The Hidden School: Return of the Peaceful Warrior

The Hidden School reveals a book within a book, a quest within a quest, and a bridge between worlds.

In the long-awaited conclusion to the international bestselling Peaceful Warrior saga, Dan Millman takes readers on an epic spiritual quest across the world as he searches for the link between everyday life and transcendent possibility.

Continuing his journey from Way of the
Published June 6th 2017 by Gallery Books

Start your review of The Hidden School: Return of the Peaceful Warrior
Justin
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this book, for free, in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a slight deviation from the previous spiritual fiction Dan wrote.

There are two main differences, one is that this book has a bit more of a Carlos Castenada feel to it.
I think this is a bit of a superficial comparison and mostly due to the attitude of one of the characters.

The other difference is that the structure of this book gives the author the chance to add useful advice that is hard to fit into a storyline. By thi
Cindy
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to confess I did not read Dan's previous books and in full disclosure I work for Dan's new publisher. That said, I read this manuscript in one sitting and loved it and became one of the biggest advocates for North Star Way to publish the book. This is a spiritual travelogue and a mysterious adventure based on Dan's own experiences. Filled with wisdom, guidance, humor and insight, this is the missing link in the journey he first brought us all into with The Way of The Peaceful Warrior. If ...more
Martin Adams
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: I’m friends with Dan, yet this review nevertheless stands on its own: I thoroughly recommend The Hidden School. I read an early draft of The Hidden School and thoroughly appreciated the wisdom that shines through Dan’s newest book. In The Hidden School, Dan, as usual, conveys “spiritual” teachings in a down-to-earth manner (with a good dose of humor thrown in). This time, however, The Hidden School embarks on a radical departure from Dan’s previous work in that it contains never ...more
Dave Meredith
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this one twice so far and love it! There's so much I would like to say, but I'll keep it short and sweet so as not to cause spoilers. I will just say that it was great to jump back into Dan Millman's story again! Spring boarding from the stories we know, this one brings back all the great qualities of those that came earlier, while introducing new characters and offering even deeper insights into what it means to live as a Peaceful Warrior...
Enjoy it. I sure did!
:-)
~ Dave
Angela
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished this book - received early from the publisher. All I can say is wow. Loved it. I am a fan of Way of the Peaceful Warrior and this book was just as good. It was great getting to read about Dan and his adventures again. Will be telling my friends about it.
Lisa Westbrook
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book for several reasons. I read his first book 20 years ago and jumping back in after that time was captivating. But more so, it got me to go back and re-read The Way of the Peaceful Warrior. And that helped me reconnect with insights I'd gained the first time around. For one thing, I love Dan's willingness to share his own process, especially his confrontations with his own ego and how he got passed it each time (though sometimes kicking and screaming). At times, I was mad at him ...more
Karel Baloun
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Nothing new or especially insightful here, and way way too many words. I wonder if I could ever reinterpret a one year meandering road trip as a metaphysical adventure, no matter how much fiction I inserted. Millman has a fascination for the East, but I sincerely doubt how deeply he understands any of it.... in his easiest books I felt glimpses that he does, but perhaps that was my projection.

The platitudes in defense of faith on page 201 I found specifically distasteful. Topics can remain myste
Bonnie  Barrett
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway
I received this book from a Goodreaads Giveaway.
I loved the story. I kept wanting to go back and reread details from the notebook. I really enjoyed the journey and will tell everyone about the book.
Monica
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definitely a great read! I did receive as a Goodreads giveaway winner and enjoyed every page! I admit that I did not read the previous books... but am going to now. Thought provoking.
L
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Incredible and compelling journey of one man's search for "immortality". What an adventure.
Colin Zhu
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good read and nice story. Highly recommended leisure read after the original book.
Danny
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Way of the Peaceful Warrior was one of the first books I read word for word, cover to cover, no skipping. Turns out when I found the book, the movie was on its way to the theaters. Ever since, Dan Millman, has been an author I try to follow. I finally read this book, got it from the library and it is an excellent follow up from his time with Doc, then Mama Chia in the second follow up and now a host of great characters on his journey through the Southwest to the Far East! Anyone who reads th ...more
Haris Wahid
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An amazing sequel which had more depth. But you know how sometimes in stories the first book somehow just has this magic of a new adventure? :D So this book had more depth but the first book is more magical and my favourite.
Ursula
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Hidden School is a beautiful journey that reflects our current needs - faith, courage, authenticity, acceptance, surrender and trust in the flow of Divine guidance...Our hearts carry wisdom and knowledge that our minds are unable to conceive.

The book has already found its way into the hands of one of my friends.
Brooke Hayes
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Stayed up all night to finish this one. I have waited a long time for the sequel to the Way of the Peaceful Warrior (which hit me at the right time and way). This one had a lot to share, including a useful reflection on paradoxes, many of which I felt alive to. An interesting journey across the globe and of an unbelievable yet somehow real story.
Shirley
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dan Millman takes readers on another odyssey with the Sacred Warrior as he travels through the desert Southwest and on to China and Japan in search of a journal written by his mentor Socrates. This quest is one in search of an understanding of the gateway to eternal life.

This review is based on a proof copy of the book provided by NetGalley and the publisher. Consequently, some quotations may not appear in the final copy of the book. Because this book was read in the Kindle format, page numbers
David Jurasek
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of The Peaceful Warrior from my early 20's setting me off on my own spiritual quest, meeting many mentors and going through a warrior's adventure.

I've also read many of Dan's books over the years and they've made deep impressions on my at different stages of my life.

Reading "The Hidden School" now as I rest into my 40's with a family and established career, and "living on purpose" as he would say, I am delighted and have cherished this one.

The pacing and plotting changes over
Pete Ingraham
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quite simply: Masterful.

Whether you've read Journeys of Socrates, Way of the Peaceful Warrior and Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior or not (if you haven't, you should !), you will thoroughly enjoy and profit immeasurably from The Hidden School. It's an exciting adventure, skillfully woven with deeply distilled wisdom and penetrating, illuminating insights.

This is one of those rare masterpieces that you will return to again and again. A wise investment, indeed.
Jaslin Martin
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book was slow but very soulful. There were two times that I opened the book and the next sentence I read resonated in my life just seconds beforehand. This book all in all, It touched me in many ways and it was a great ending to the peaceful warrior series. Recommended Read!
Rabi
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Picked up closer to the middle, easy, fun, yet thoughtful read
Tayler
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good

Awesome book had a really good message for young readers
Would highly recommend to older readers as well that's all
Mike B
Jul 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Regardless of whether this novel was 37 or 26 years in the making it was a sore disappointment. I have to be blunt, it seems that Dan Millman has squandered the years after Peaceful Warrior became a hit. It is obvious he never attempted to hone/polish/tighten his writing style. His life story was something that he NEEDED to tell and other than his sophomoric newbie writing style (completely forgivable in his first outing with Way of the Peaceful Warrior) it was an engrossing story. Sacred journe ...more
Caroline
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I enjoyed this novel and found it to be an easy read. I read Dan Millman's first novel, The Peaceful Warrier, so I was familiar with the characters, even though I did not have the opportunity to read the other books in this series. After reading this book, I feel inspired to read the other books in The Peaceful Warrier series. The book begins with Dan ready to leave Hawaii and finding a letter from his teacher Socrates, compelling Dan to search for Socrat ...more
Vaughan Wimberley
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Believe it or not, I went my whole life never hearing about Dan Millman until just this month. I heard his interview on "The School of Greatness" ep. 554; the one in which he spoke about this book and a host of other topics. I was so struck by his manner and what he had to say that I re-listened three times. I immediately got this book and was not disappointed! I was a bit surprised by the narrative and was not expecting it to be so "action packed." I found myself wondering how much of it he emb ...more
Jess Macallan
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspiration
I received an e-copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed Way of the Peaceful Warrior, and this book was the perfect follow-up. The title of the book is appropriate in many ways, and as a reader, I enjoyed the little gems and insights throughout the story. This is the kind of story everyone will read and experience differently. The characters kept me interested and entertained, but more importantly, this story made me reflect. I enjoy stories that teach or amuse
Maggies Daisy
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: humanity
My first impression had me wondering who the heck is this guy. For one he must be the luckiest man on the planet. How can someone with just a hand written letter find a journal written by a delusional man many years prior ever hope to actually find this journal in one of three states? But he does and this leads him to other remarkable adventures that involve him using a grant from a University to travel to Japan, Hong Kong and the Republic of China in the mid-1970's. I enjoyed the story but thin ...more
Rinke
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
I read Millman's previous books, and I hold Way of the Peaceful Warrior in high regard. The Hidden School however, thoroughly disappointed me.

It's just a very linear adventure story with all kinds of 'clues' as to what the protagonist has to do and which way he has to go. It reads more like a children's adventure book than anything else and I personally didn't get any new and interesting perspectives from it. The book is just so.. bland and unimaginative.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone
Matt B. Perkins
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have become a massive fan of the saga of the Peaceful Warrior. This third installment, following "Way of the Peaceful Warrior" and "Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior," holds as much power as the others. What I also love about this is how it expands upon the story set forth in Sacred Journey, and how those two books are layered within the broader scope of the first book. Brilliant work, and the stories and revelations throughout these books continue to hit close to home for me.
Andrew
While I enjoyed the book overall I was left mystified to what extent I was supposed to accept this story as reality or just mere allegory. It’s too weak to work as a parable and too absurd to be accepted as a truthful memoir. What is this thing? And as best I could tell the end teaching is “trust in intuition and follow your instincts.” To which end the author wanders around Asia instead of raising his infant daughter? Ok, cool story bro.
« previous 1 3 next »

• You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • Conversational Intelligence: How Great Leaders Build Trust & Get Extraordinary Results
  • Winnie-the-Pooh on Management: In which a Very Important Bear and his friends are introduced to a Very...
  • The Map of Heaven: How Science, Religion, and Ordinary People Are Proving the Afterlife
  • The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
  • Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why
  • I'll Tell You in Person
  • The Heart of the Revolution: The Buddha's Radical Teachings on Forgiveness, Compassion, and Kindness
  • The Red Dot Club
  • The Android (Animorphs, #10)
  • Bryony and Roses
  • Il codice segreto del Vangelo. Il libro del giovane Giovanni
  • Entangled
  • The Joy Luck Club (Oxford Bookworms Library: Stage 6 Reader)
  • The Recursive Mind: The Origins of Human Language, Thought, and Civilization
  • The Big Five for Life
  • My Life as a Mexican Pirate: A True Story
  • The Blood (Morpheus Road, #3)
Dan Millman is a former world champion athlete, university coach, martial arts instructor, and college professor.

After an intensive, twenty-year spiritual quest, Dan's teaching found its form as the Peaceful Warrior's Way, expressed fully in his books and lectures. His work continues to evolve over time, to meet the needs of a changing world.

--from the author's website

News & Interviews

“Paradox is any self-contradictory proposition that, when investigated, may prove to be well-founded or true. Once understood, it opens the gateway to higher wisdom. But how can contradictory principles both be true? As the Buddhist Riddle of Five Truths puts it: “It is right. It is wrong. It is both right and wrong. It is neither right nor wrong. All exist simultaneously.” Charles Dickens expressed the paradox of his era, equally true today, when he wrote, “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness,” going on to describe that time as one of belief and incredulity, light and darkness, hope and despair. Two opposing statements can each be true depending on the observer: it’s true that spiders are merciless killers from the viewpoint of tiny insects caught in their webs—but for most humans, nearly all spiders are harmless creatures. A story of the Sufi sage Mullah Nasruddin expresses the nature of paradox when he’s asked to arbitrate between two men with opposing views. Hearing the first man, he remarks, “You’re right.” When he hears the second man, he also says, “You’re right.” When a bystander points out, “They can’t both be right,” the mullah scratches his head and says, “You’re right.” Let’s go deeper and consider four central sets of paradoxical truths: * Time is real. It moves from past to present to future. * There is no time, no past, no future—only the eternal present. * You possess free will and can thus take responsibility for your choices. * Free will is an illusion—your choices are influenced, even predetermined, by all that preceded them. * You are, or possess, a separate inner self existing within a body. * No separation exists—you are a part of the same Consciousness shining through billions of eyes. * Death is an inevitable reality you’ll meet at the end of life. * The death of the inner self is an illusion. Life is eternal. Must you choose one assertion and reject the other? Or is there a way to meaningfully resolve and even reconcile such apparent contradictions?” 1 likes
“Humor, in its highest sense, transcends the momentary tension release of laughter, and expands into a profound sense of ease and a relaxed approach to life’s occasional challenges, large or small. When you view your world through this lens of transcendent humor, as if from a distant peak, you discover that life is a game you can play as if it matters— with a peaceful heart and a warrior’s spirit. You can remain engaged with the world but also rise above it, looking beyond your personal dramas.” 1 likes