Start by marking “Het (niet zo) coole leven van Carrie Pilby” as Want to Read:
Het (niet zo) coole leven van Carrie Pilby

Het (niet zo) coole leven van Carrie Pilby

Nu een succes op Netflix!

Het leven is hard als je een genie bent. Tot die conclusie komt Carrie Pilby nadat ze op belachelijk jonge leeftijd is afgestudeerd en nu in haar eentje in een appartementje in New York woont. Ze hoort er gewoon niet bij, en de enige persoon die ze regelmatig ziet, is haar therapeut.

Hij komt met een vijfstappenplan om haar te helpen de `positieve a
Published March 7th 2017 by HarperCollins Young Adult (first published June 1st 2003)

Nafiza
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
I was expecting a fun, light, quirky read. The cover certainly leads you to believe so and I have a feeling that had I known that the book was way more serious than I was bargaining for, I would have been better prepared to read it. Because Carrie Pilby is most certainly not chick lit.

As the synopsis reveals, Carrie is a genius. A genius who has trouble fitting in, getting along; indeed she doesn’t understand the need for her to do so.

Well okay, I’ll just come right out and say it: I didn’t like
Holly
Jul 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-read
Why I loved this book:
-Carrie is smart
-She's pretty much anti social
-She loves to read
-She looks everything up in the dictionary
-She cracks herself up
-She's not one of those annoying airhead girls
-NYC!!
-The cover is friggin' cute
-Her favorite thing to do is sleep

I love her because (aside from her being a genius) she's a lot like me.

Jamie
May 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like chick lit does have a chance to get a bad rap. I read this book years ago and it never really left my mind; I picked it up yesterday to reread it and I realized that Lissner wrote a strange little literary novel that just happened to come out in the height of the time when all books my women about young women had to have pink and turquoise slapped on the cover so it could be marketed as chick lit.

"Carrie Pilby" isn't really like that. It's about Carrie, a 19-year-old prodigy who has
Chrystal
Oct 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie Pilby, a nineteen-year-old prodigy and Harvard graduate, is socially awkward and having a very hard time meeting people that she can befriend or even relate to on a basic level. She consistently looks down on others when they come across as hypocrites based on her moral code or unintelligent based on her search for fellow genius'.

At first I had a very hard time getting into the book, because I found Carrie to be annoying with her constant judgment of others. She has strict ideals of what
Romie
I read this book because my favourite movie is based on it and, as planned, I like the movie more.

Now, this book was written in 2003 and the movie is from 2017, so of course there is a huge difference. I'm not saying the book is bad, obviously I still liked it a lot, but there were times Carrie said things that are just unacceptable.

I liked that Carrie talks about asexuality, wondering if she's asexual or not, I also liked that her friend Kara is bisexual, but then again, you can tell it was wri
Donna
DNF.

It sounds pretty quirky and fun but when I got into it, all I got was an irredeemable character that was too good for everyone else and really wasn't willing to change.

I wanted to like Carrie. I really did. But I hated being in her head. I just can't empathize with someone that's genius enough to give Stephen Hawking a run for his money but can't figure out how or why she needs to NOT be a douche to people. Maybe it's because I'm not smart enough to understand that kind of smart. Or maybe I
Jonathan Maas
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jonathan Maas's Carrie Pilby Review Promo

All right! First things first:

Carrie Pilby is hilarious – I’m not talking beach read mild chortles here, I’m talking ‘Gilbert Gottfried roasting your best friend after you’ve had the optimal glasses of wine’ funny. It really makes you laugh, and has a P.G. Wodehouse level of consistency throughout. It reminds me also of Josh Wolf's book It Takes Balls: Dating Single Moms and Other Confessions from an Unprepared Single Dad - much of its humor hits you when you least expect it, and that gives it
Karissa
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
When I read the synopsis of this book I had to have it. It's not the type of book I generally read, but it just sounded like something I would really like. I got an advanced reading copy through netgalley(dot)com to read. It was a great read, a fun read, and the kind of read that really makes you think about the way you interact with the people around you.

Carrie Pilby is a genius. She skipped three grades in elementary school and graduated from Harvard with a degree in phliosophy at the age of 1
Nina
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Carrie Pilby has become officially one of my favourite books of 2010. I adored the character and the story kept me hooked to the pages from beginning till the end.

Carrie is a 19 year old teenager who is very intelligent. She doesn’t understands the world completely and in her eyes the world doesn’t completely understands her. She lives in an apartment in New York City, and daddy is paying everything for her. She got no motivation whatsoever to find a job and one of her favourite things to do is
MyLan
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not terrible, but kinda dumb.
Terrie
May 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm perplexed why this was a Red Dress Ink imprint, because the only thing "chick lit" about it is the fact that the protagonist is a 19 yo female who lives in NYC. Really an excellent novel.
Elusive
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
As the title itself implies, ‘Carrie Pilby’ is about Carrie who is a nineteen-year-old prodigy. Her intelligence and maturity make her feel very different from others, hence the only person she talks to is her therapist. When he comes up with a list of things for her to accomplish, she takes on the challenge and this process broadens her horizons.

Carrie is an incredibly engaging character. Right from the start, it’s evident that she’s smart. She thinks a lot, she’s analytical and she can be judg
Christine
I related a lot to this book and to Carrie. The fact she is attracted to people based on their mind and how alone she feels in a sex-obsessed world where people only want to have sex and not actually KNOW a person... It was like reading myself. I also felt a kinship with her depression and anxiety. The overthinking and overanalysing were soooo me.

I enjoyed that this book wasn't so much focused on romance as it was about a girl struggling with belonging in a world where she felt she didn't. Again
Paula
Honestly, I can't with this book. I have so much love for the book and the main character. "Carrie Pilby" by Caren Lissner is one of those book that has quickly made it onto my all-time favorites list. I think I've highlighted at least one third of the book if not more.

This story as well as the Carrie resonated so much with me and I recognized so much of myself in Carrie's slightly awkward social behavior as well as in her way of thinking. It's what has drawn me to the book in the first place a
Jasmyn
Carrie Pilby has always been a bit different. She is a child prodigy that graduated college before most of us would even start it. Her hobbies include reading the dictionary, debating morals with herself (and others if she can), and sleeping in her New York apartment. Carrie has a hard time relating to the people around her. She just doesn't get them, and they just don't get her. She's unhappy and alone, although good luck trying to get her to admit it.

Carrie is a fantastic character. She readil
Amanda
Aug 11, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Zeek
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
On a whim I picked up a book by Caren Lissner (an author I've never heard of and never read before) called Carrie Pilby at the library. (I generally stick to titles or authors I recognize.)

It hooked me, however, I found myself reading it not because I adored the story but because I couldn't stop.

The title character, Carrie, is extremely intelligent (skipped three grades in high school and attended Harvard), obviously clinically depressed and has suffered trauma as a child.

It was actually depre
Katherine Tirado-Ryen
I loved the movie version, Carrie Pilby, and loved this book. I took my time reading this, and am so glad I purposefully waited until nearly New Year’s Eve to finish it. Of the 90 books I read this year, this was by far my favorite fiction novel. In fact, I plan to give my worn copy to a close friend and just last night ordered a new copy for my library.

You’ll see excellent book synopses from other reviewers, so I won’t leave one here. Suffice it to say this novel gave me the feeling of truly r
  LunaBel
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fi-ya-r
I really liked this novel. Even if at times, I wished Carrie would just relax, a liiittle biiiiiiit, but I guess the whole novel was about how she is trying to come to terms with her perception of the world.
At the end, Carrie realises that the world is not always either black or white, though it does not mean that one should be easily deviated from beliefs, etc.
Alex
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
This was a fourth or fifth read. I get Carrie Pilby.
Jo
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For what it is, I really enjoyed this. Loved Carrie as a character, agreed with most of her thoughts and was glad she isn't too changed by her journey.
kb
Cover art
The 2010 edition has a pretty cover! I wish I saw this back in college because I would totally be wearing a tutu and blue green stockings in my yearbook creative shot.

In a nutshell
A Harvard graduate struggles in the real world.

Spirit animal
Carrie Pilby seems like a character built out of everyone.

For one, she thinks she is socially handicapped.

"I could go to grad school, if they offered a master’s in remedial socialization."

"When I’m finally home, I’m incredibly relieved. Thank God I’m
Kari Anderson
Oct 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you ever have wondered what goes on in the brain of a genius, we find out through Carrie Pilby. While some of our minds wander to dinner, laundry and the ever growing Christmas list, here’s what Carrie’s mind wanders to:

I use my extra time to think about a lot of things. I think about why, if the highest speed limit anywhere in the U.S. is seventy-five, they sell cars that can go up to one hundred fifty.

I think about whether the liquid inside a coconut should be called “milk” or “juice.”

I thi
Eliora Vespera

"1. List 10 things you love (and DO THEM!)
2. Join a club (and TALK TO PEOPLE!)
3. Go on a date (with someone you actually LIKE!)
4. Tell someone you care (your therapist DOESN'T COUNT!)
5. Celebrate New Year's (with OTHER PEOPLE!)"

My Rating: 10/10

Carrie Pilby is a 19 year old genius that graduated from Harvard at 18. Her mother died when she was too young to remember, and her father told her a Big Lie she still couldn't forgive him for.

Carrie guards herself too muc
Mari - loves to read
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
Carrie is a smart girl, she graduated from Harvard at the age of 19 but she is struggeling to fit in. Now Carrie is living alone in her apartment in New York, she spends her time watching movies, sleeping and she has regular sessions with a psychologist. Carrie has no real friends, by choice in her own opinion. She lives by strict moral and thinks most other people are immoral and obsessed with sex.

A little taste from the novel:
"Wanna meet for coffee?" he asks.
There it is again. Why does it alw
Ernica
" you should never give up on principle that is logical, sound, important and integral to your constitution, even if the world seems against it" I don't know what I would have done if i hadn't found this book and to think I've never head of Caren Lissner before yet now i have a need to read all of her books. I don't know maybe i liked this book so much because Carrie is so different and reminds me somewhat of myself. A genius (although i'm not as smart as her) who's socially awkward and likes to ...more
Patricia
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this young adult novel, which is funny, quirky, and smart, and at times poignant. Carrie Pilby is a very intelligent, yet lonely, 19-year-old woman who lives in New York City. A self-proclaimed but socially inept genius, Carrie has already graduated from Harvard, but is having trouble adjusting to life post-graduation. She basically has no friends, having isolated herself from her older classmates during college (although Carrie might say it was the other way around.) She occasion ...more
Scott Olson
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Carrie Pilby for its interesting characters and exploration into the question of whether we can be true to our morals while also finding companionship and acceptance in a complex world. The story line is minimal: We follow her through her mission to complete a list of goals assigned by her psychiatrist. She tries, and often fails, to connect with other humans, slowly learning compassion and patience in the process.

Throughout this journey, we learn that every unusual trait Carrie has as
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• On The Verge
  • The Thin Pink Line (Jane Taylor, #1)
  • Cat's Meow
  • Single White E-Mail
  • The Cigarette Girl
  • In Full Bloom
  • Engaging Men
  • Dog Handling
  • 37
  • The Journal of Mortifying Moments
  • Tales of a Drama Queen (Drama Queen, #1)
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
  • The Oracle Rebounds (The Oracle of Dating, #2)
  • The Book of Jane
  • The Fidelity Files (Jennifer Hunter, #1)
  • 32AA
  • Three Bedrooms In Chelsea
  • An Ideal Husband; A Woman of No Importance
Caren Lissner is the author of CARRIE PILBY (rereleased July 1, 2010) - a humorous novel about a 19-year-old genius who graduated from Harvard three years early and doesn't know how to fit in, socialize, and date in New York City. The main character believes many of the people she meets to be immoral and hypocritical, and has a lot to learn. How far should she go to fit in with others her age? The ...more
“The most amazing discovery in the world is someone who understands what you’re about without your having to go through your entire life history to explain it.” 3 likes
“Being lonely isn’t about wanting to be with other people—it’s about wanting to be with people who really care about you.” 2 likes