Start by marking “Groovin’: Horses, Hopes, and Slippery Slopes (Hippie Adventurer, #1)” as Want to Read:
Groovin’: Horses, Hopes, and Slippery Slopes (Hippie Adventurer, #1)

Groovin’: Horses, Hopes, and Slippery Slopes

(Hippie Adventurer #1)

In this delightful coming-of-age memoir, Rich Israel takes off on a journey of self-discovery during the late 1960s. Eschewing societal norms, he hitchhikes across the country, tries his hand at mining, works at a circus, and rides a horse hundreds of miles through the Rocky Mountain wilderness—all the while, the draft and Vietnam War are nipping at his heels.

Join Rich and
Published December 7th 2016 by Sandra Jonas Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Groovin’, please sign up.
Rich Israel Good question. Sorry if you found that confusing. Yes, it does refer to the USA where I experienced the sixties and where most of the adventures in Gr…moreGood question. Sorry if you found that confusing. Yes, it does refer to the USA where I experienced the sixties and where most of the adventures in Groovin' took place. Thanks for pointing that out.

Rich(less)

Start your review of Groovin’: Horses, Hopes, and Slippery Slopes (Hippie Adventurer, #1)
Kathryn
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
In the 35 years since I met Rich, I knew he had a kind heart, a healing touch and a love of good weed. But I never had a clue he was such a great writer… until now. Rich asked me to read an advance copy and I literally couldn't put it down. What a fun romp! It stirred up my wanderlust and made me fall in love with the California coastline and the Colorado mountains all over again, not to mention awakening a few long buried memories of my own experiences in the late 60’s and early 70s. Congratula ...more
Ines
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this auto-biography so much. It's so detailed that it felt like I was visiting all those beautiful places. Such a great and cool memoir from a young man during the late '60s. Totally recommended it.
Harold Walters
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Want to follow a hippie adventure...partly on horseback? This is the book for you then.
Anthony Stancomb
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Wonderful descriptions of tripping, drinking and wandering around in a stupefied haze whilst sleeping in campervans, riding motor bikes, hitchhiking across America, and having sex as much as possible with delightful sounding companions.
The book charts the progress of the author and his friends over the few years after they leave college and live a hand to mouth existence while avoiding the draft, getting stoned, helping out on farms, riding horses and encountering a lot of strange characters.
I
Quentin Stewart
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rich Israel led a life that most of us near his age wish we had lived in during that crazy period of life that saw us coming into adulthood. He had no definite plan except to live his life as he wanted and to experience all that he could in the time that he had. He thought nothing of hitching across the country or setting off on a horseback ride through the mountains of the west. How many of us around his age wish we had been there with him? And he selfishly takes us along for the ride. This tim ...more
Joanne
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books-read
This is probably one the best titled books I have read in a while. Full of episodes in Rich Israel's life when he was younger and so much fun to read.
While I am a generation behind this era, I am certainly old enough to remember the anxieties about the Vietnam War, the LSD thing going on and the Hippy movement.
Rich writes well and you are rooting for him and enjoying his antics. A good share (the second half) of the book is about his horse-riding trip through New Mexico, Colorado, etc. Comes fr
Mary H.
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book w/several laugh out loud moments. Rich's journey during the late '60's, a heady time, was an insight into his experiences of this era. As a young teen during that time, I remember so many seminal happenings, i.e. the Vietnam War, Civil Rights movement, musical groups such as The Beatles, Stones, The Who, Grateful Dead, etc.

It was a easy read and I looked forward to each chapter and day in Rich's life during that time. He knows how to engage the reader in a descriptive,
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book had me laughing out loud and truly enjoying the adventures of Rich and his friends. I am truly fascinated with this time in our history, specifically those people who broke away from the norm/standard. Groovin' provide a great look into one individuals unique and colorful journey.
I am looking forward to the next book as the saga continues. Hoping (fingers crossed) that Rich did decided after all to take a detour to meet up with Karen at Woodstock...
Rivvy Neshama
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you missed the sixties or yearn to relive them, this book has it all: the music, the drugs, the sexual/political revolutions, and the loss (or gain?) of innocence. But what makes it a great read is that it’s also a sensitive and honest coming-of-age tale, a memoir told through stories — and what wild stories they are! Rich Israel has an engaging voice, a lively sense of humor, a quirky group of friends, and a thirst for adventure. Best of all, he knows how to tell a good yarn!
Catherine Bethea
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am only 3 years younger than the author. We lived in different worlds.. I loved how his chapters included the month and year. I could remember what i was doing while he was doing his thing :) I have never cared for horses and his horse adventure is still with me!
Nicholas
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads win.

This was a fun read. I would recommed. Love that it was set in the sixties. The writing storytellibg was good.
Julie Powers
Enjoyable trip down memory lane for anyone growing up in the 60's or 70's.
Rich Israel
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Reviewed By Deborah Lloyd for Readers’ Favorite

Anyone who lived through the 1960s remembers it as a time like no other. The counterculture of young people smoking marijuana and using LSD, the draft, protests against the Vietnam War, changing sexual behaviors, and other events defined the hippie, or flower child, movement. Author Rich Israel shares his personal journey in Groovin’: Horses, Hopes, and Slippery Slopes. As a college student at the University of California Davis, Rich participated in
Rose Collins
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Highly informative portrait of life in the hippy era of the 1960's USA.
Very engaging and hilariously funny!

Ultra descriptive of the antics of the flower power era and the hippy culture that
delighted in the eschewing of cultural norms and ultimately turned American society on its head – an epoch in history aptly dubbed “a time like no other”.
This book bring to life the 60's prevailing cultural revolution towards a youth counter-cultural shift towards flower power- drugs, sexual liberation, fre
William Liggett
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember the summer of the flower children. I just don’t remember it the way Rich does. He clearly lived the hippie lifestyle and describes it in detail as only an insider could. I was truly impressed by his writing. I felt I was along for the ride as he described the scenery, smells, and challenges of, for example, riding motorcycles along the coast of California and horses through the Colorado wilderness. Given all the close calls that he describes in his adventures, it is remarkable he came ...more
SALLY WHITE
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you Goodreads for sending me this book. A great read of how Rich spent the 1960’s. It is a book of memories, good times, times of excess and the mad situations Rich found himself in. Anyone who wishes to reminisce about their youth and bring back some memories will enjoy reading this.
Paul Preston
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is freedom.
There is nothing not to like about this book and about Rich in general. This was just fun and I wanted to go along with him as he hitched across the country and rode horseback across Colorado for a month.
I would not have had the LSD that Rich and his friends did but other than that I am jealous of his adventure. Nature is amazing
Kris
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I grew up among hippies. So I can relate to this book. I am at the end of the Baby Boomer years and the people represented in this book are basically cameos of many people in my life who embraced similar ideals and lifestyles.

But as a child, I observed that this group is sometimes not able to clearly recall the events of those days spent in a halo of pot smoke, acid trips and general hippy dippy lifestyle choices. I embraced many myself but Rich Israel suffers from minor memory distortion!

The st
Jonathan Fryer
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I remember the Sixties vividly, which some people would say must mean I wasn't there, and, no, it's true, I never smoked weed or tripped on acid. Travelling across Asia in peace and war gave me all the kicks I needed. But I have enjoyed this confessional memoir of someone who did join in the drug taking, though fortunately without seriously bad experiences (unlike one of his girlfriends), and who did enjoy free love (and occasional paid love) as he wandered around the United States by various me ...more
Jill
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rich reminisces about his own adventures with drug-induced visualizations, hitchhiking, and sex during the sixties. The first part of the book focuses on crazy situations and even crazier characters that drift in and out of his life. He seems to put much of the zany behind him when he and friend Mitch buy horses and travel through New Mexico and Colorado. The reality of horseback riding and the surrounding environment seems to change Rich from a stereotypical hippie caricature into a draft age m ...more
Maria
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading "Groovin'" evoked a bit of nostalgia for a time in which I wasn't even alive. How wonderful for an author's work to transport us to places we've never been and have us miss them when we've never truly left. The detailed and beautiful forays into Rich Israel's life during the sixties were mesmerizing, and without spoiling anything, I would like to mention that I don't know if I would have the guts to do half of what young Israel did in his travels!

For a life well lived and a book well wr
Shirley Townsend
Laid back good times

Through the struggle around the VietNam war people lived. Young men determined how to deal with the threat. Rich tells us how he came to decisions about the draft and living through the turmoil. He goes on the trip of a lifetime with a friend. One he had dreamed of since he was a child. I'm glad he did so he could tell us of his adventure.
Melissa
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: outstanding
What a delightful trip through the 60's. The narrative flowed and I had a hard time putting the book down. Being a 60's Berkeley girl myself, Rich's journeys felt very familiar. Now I'm looking forward to Volume 2.
Sharfina Kiasati
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, read-2017
What I like about this book is the adventure. Whoa, Rich and Mitch are awesome, I envy them!
Robert A. Granger
Fun story

A fun story of warm hearted adventures with friends, animals, vehicles, drugs and women, written with a mix of humor and insight.
Beatrice
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great romping adventure story, fun to read, wish I'd been there!
Tashfin Awal
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
​I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways and have chosen to give my honest opinion about it.
A fantastic read, truly opens your mind to what mankind can experience and the amazing adventures that are out there waiting to be had. I thought it was pretty engaging.
Lindon Hylton
« previous 1 3 next »

• Walking Thru: A Couple's Adventure on the Pacific Crest Trail
  • Inside the Inside Passage: True Stories from the Land of the Spirit Bear
  • A Foolish Voyage: Self-Discovery At Sea
  • Alice's Arctic Letters: Love, Until the North Pole Melts!
  • The Beartooth Cafe (Bud Shumway #8)
  • Tears in the Wind: Triumph and Tragedy on America’s Highest Peak
  • Walking to Listen: 4,000 Miles Across America, One Story at a Time
  • Welcome to the Goddamn Ice Cube: Chasing Fear and Finding Home in the Great White North
  • The Alaskan Homesteader
  • Impossible Beyond This Point: True Adventure Creating A Self-Sufficient Life In The Wilderness
  • Bliss(ters): How I Walked from Mexico to Canada One Summer
  • Fortymile: Life on the Alaska Frontier
  • TEN WEEKS ON THE TUNDRA: A Summer of World Class Fly Fishing and Alaskan Adventure
  • Biking Across America: My Coast-To-Coast Adventure and the People I Met Along the Way
  • Trespassing Across America: One Man's Epic, Never-Done-Before (and Sort of Illegal) Hike Across the Heartland
  • White Eskimo: Knud Rasmussen's Fearless Journey into the Heart of the Arctic