Start by marking “The Red Threads of Fortune (Tensorate #2)” as Want to Read:
The Red Threads of Fortune (Tensorate #2)

The Red Threads of Fortune

(Tensorate #2)

The Red Threads of Fortune is one of a pair of unique, standalone introductions to JY Yang's Tensorate Series, which Kate Elliott calls "effortlessly fascinating." For more of the story you can read its twin novella The Black Tides of Heaven, available now.

Fallen prophet, master of the elements, and daughter of the supreme Protector, Sanao Mokoya has abandoned the life tha
Published September 26th 2017 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about The Red Threads of Fortune, please sign up.
Rachel The numbering seems to be arbitrary, as they're going to be released at the same time and the author has stated that they can be read in either order.…moreThe numbering seems to be arbitrary, as they're going to be released at the same time and the author has stated that they can be read in either order. (Source: http://io9.gizmodo.com/j-y-yangs-new-...)(less)
Marlowe Yes, but their roles are quite small and don't stand out. Mokoya is the focus.

Start your review of The Red Threads of Fortune (Tensorate #2)
Bradley
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2019-shelf
Following the events after the first Tensorate novella, we deal with healing and grief from a different PoV. The other twin.

Point of fact, I got into this one a bit more than the previous one because more time was spent inside the skin. Internal dialogue and a very limited time-frame, as well as a more direct plotting, drove this particular novel away from the experimental and into the normal realm of modern storytelling. You might say it's more Aristotelian.

That being said, I really enjoyed no
Shaun Hutchinson
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Even better than the first. This is really a wonderful story of dealing with grief and learning that we're capable of changing even things that seem set in stone.
K.J. Charles
I read this in a sitting with its companion novella. They're very different: book 1 covers the best part of 40 years, 2 focuses in on Mokoya after she's lost her child, left her husband, and gone hunting naga (dragons ish) in the desert.

All the joys of the first book: set in alt Asia, nonbinary characters, loads of strong women, positive queer and nontraditional relationships abounding, just none of the routine assumptions of so much fantasy, plus a great tale of treachery and monsters and bere
Kaitlin
This one is the second in the series, and it's more of a monster-hunt than the first book which is a coming of age and resistance story. I think for me personally the monster-hunt element wasn't my favourite, but the themes of the story are still super interesting and there's some great sections which deal with leniency, judgement, and trust. I really enjoy that this is an LGBTQ+ storyline, and I look forward to seeing more of the world in the future novellas too :) 3.5*s for this one from me.
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

Hm. Tough one to rate because in a handful of ways I liked this better than the first installment! But something about the connection between the two feels disjointed? It’s somewhat hard to explain.

Anyhow, this is still a creative & enjoyable series so far!
Acqua
I loved it even more than the first one.

The Red Threads of Fortune is set after The Black Tides of Heaven, and it follows Mokoya's PoV. She has left her husband Thennjay in the monastery, and now she's chasing a giant Naga trough the desert with the help of a pack of raptors.

Yes, that's not what I expected (giant raptors?), but it works.
I loved how this book focused more on the magical creatures. There were some in Black Tides too, but they were never really developed and they definitely weren't
Gerhard
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This continuation of the Tensorate saga is even more engrossing and magical than The Black Tides of Heaven (of which there is an extract at the end of this one; the implication seems to be that the two are interchangeable and can be read in any order, but I would definitely begin with Black Tides first.)

What I loved about #2 is that we get so much more insight into slackcraft itself. There is a major plot twist I am loathe to divulge, suffice it to say that it takes the story (quite literarily)
Anthony
This took the promise of the first novella in the series and advanced it in a manner that felt more grounded and resonant. Yang is a wonderfully imaginative writer, whose commitment to exploring the emotional depths of their characters I find very admirable. Much like with their first book, I find myself liking — more than loving — this work, but I’m also glad to spend time in the world that’s been lovingly created here
Matthew Quann
Oct 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, pretty-short
After I finished off the first book in the series, I took the opportunity to read what some other popular review sites had to say about the Tensorate saga. Just about every review had positive things to say about the novellas' unique structure, compelling world building, and exploration of sexual identity and orientation. So, I guess this series just isn't for me?

Certainly, The Red Threads of Fortune is my preferred of the two books. Instead of compressing 35 years and two POVs into 160 pages, t
Sahitya
As soon as I finished The Black Tides of Heaven, I knew I was gonna read this novella soon because that world is magical and I didn’t wanna forget it so soon. And this book turned out to be even more impressive.

This time the plot had no time jumps, actually it takes place within just a few days but the amount of extensive world building we get here alongwith a deep dive into the different interpretations of the magic system, is amazing and I couldn’t stop reading at all. We also get gorgeous des
Gabrielle
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Treachery, monsters and magic. Oh my!

This installment of the Tensorate saga is paced very differently from the first one: “The Black Tides of Heaven” (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...) covered almost forty years in less than two-hundred pages and “The Red Threads of Fortune” takes place over a few days, which makes it feel a lot more focused (if a bit rushed: I wished both books had been longer). While the first book was more Akeha’s story, we now see the world through the eyes of his tw
Emily
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book resolved almost all of my issues with the first book in the series!

One thing I want to address--this and The Black Tides of Heaven are described as stand-alone novellas. I would STRONGLY recommend reading Black Tides first, even though I think it's a bit weaker than this volume.

Now, just what I liked so much about this. Unlike the first book in the Tensorate series, this is a bit more static in its timeline. Where the first book jumped decades, this book is centered around one time and
Allison Hurd
I'm still very impressed with this world, how it blends so much that's so familiar and so many things that are novel in a way that makes it feel accessible and yet totally different. I think this was a stronger story in technical terms, but I'm definitely Team Akeha.

CONTENT WARNING: (just a list of topics) (view spoiler)

Things to love:

-The writing. I think it was much more fluid than the first book, the pro
James Chatham
This, along with The Black Tides of Heaven, is an absolutely phenomenal story. From the way Yang combines various influences into a compelling world and society to the way gender and sexuality is treated, you can feel how much care they put into their writing. This novella is more of a monster-hunting story but there's still room for emotional scenes between the characters that pull on your heart-strings and fascinating exposition about how the magic system of this universe works. The Tensorate ...more
Ashley Marie
Mokoya and Akeha are back! I probably should have read this as soon as I'd finished Black Tides of Heaven, but life gets in the way. Yang weaves beautiful stories.
Manisha
I feel like I could easily repeat my review for The Black Tides of Heaven and that would be sufficient.

To summarise:

• I enjoyed the world but thought it was undeveloped. I had hopes that with the second novella the world will be fleshed out more. However, I am still confused as to the magic system of the world.
• The question of gender was such a new and exciting way to read. However, following the story of multiple characters who prefer non-binary genderless pronouns made it difficult to follo
Dawn C
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: media-kindle
A wonderful second part of the Tensorate story, this one focuses on Mokoya after the events of the first book. After a slowish start I found myself gripped and immersed in the emotional life of the characters once again. There is such tenderness in Yang’s writing that moves me a lot. The plot is weaved nicely together with a few goosebump inducing revelations. While a lot could be fleshed out and explored in this universe I quite enjoy the micro focus on the characters’ lives. All in all a beaut ...more
Eilonwy
Mokoya survived a terrible and tragic accident -- an accident her prophetic "gift" failed to warn her of, for all the good it would have done. Since then, she's been on the run, trying to leave her memories and her grief behind as she travels with a band of hunters who chase down the nagas that make it across the Demon Sea and into the Protectorate. But maybe there is more to be learned about Fortune than she knows, despite her abilities.
I really liked this second installment in this series
Mel
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For the links and better readability, I suggest going to Just Love.

I’ll organise this review by first writing about what concerns both books, like the fantasy world, writing style, and the concept of gender and transgender in this series, and then I will have a short look at both books individually. I’ll try to keep it manageable in length, promise.

When I saw the covers in a tweet, I couldn’t but find out more about the books behind them. I read an interview with the author and was even more int
Kaa
These books are AMAZING. I read this back-to-back with The Black Tides of Heaven, the first book in the series, which is an approach I recommend. They are quite different and each could stand on its own, but I felt that reading them together and in chronological order really deepened my appreciation of the characters' emotional journeys, especially for Mokoya. I am impatient for the next books! ...more
RG
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
More or less the same concepts and ideas. Just not the coming of age building blocks plot. Has a Naga (a dragon or monster) hunt adventure as the plot of the story. The world building developed a fraction as compared to the 1st novel, but still limited to the novell size which is a pity. Probably wont continue with this series as I dont believe the author has finished it as of yet.
Divine Anas
I'm so conflicted with rating this. On one hand, I really enjoyed it but felt as if it was lacking. Hnnnggrrr Full RTC with the previous book and the two remaining novellas I have yet to read.
Aneta
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
The thing is, before reading these novellas I was, for some reason, sure I would enjoy this one more. Well...

I didn't like the relationships in this. Didn't like the instalove, and the rest of the characters were pretty much props in this one. If not for reading Black Tides first which gave me some background, this could have been 1 star? It just felt really flat in comparison.

There were good moments, though, as well. This novella deals with grief and anger, and isolation and I thought it was a
Lisa
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Please read this book after you read The Black Tides of Heaven. While the novellas are marketed as companion novels (aka twins aka the main characters), I have to say that reading this book first and Black Tides second will leave you confused for no good reason. Having that said, let's start the short review.

I ADORE BLACK TIDES AND AKEHA. I gave that novella 5 stars for the characters, the plot, development and the world. This novella is the ugly runt. Mokoya wasn't likeable as she was in Black
Beth Cato
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, 2017, netgalley
I received this ebook through the publisher via Netgalley.

Yang has created an evocative Asian-inspired world in her Tensorate series. The setting is so immersive that I was slightly disoriented to start, but I soon found myself hooked. Mokoya is a former prophet, embittered by the loss of her child. She busies herself with hunting naga, and is looked after by a friends who love and accept her, abrasive as she is. Rumors of a massive and aggressive naga drive her deep into danger--and into a new
Devann
actual rating: 2.5

I really don't see why the first two books in this series are billed as 'standalone introductions' because this book follows DIRECTLY off the events in book one and I feel like I would have been VERY confused reading this one by itself. There is not really very much going on here, both in expansion of the world building or in terms of plot. I'm not sure if I just don't like Mokoya as much as I liked Akeha - book 1 focused more on him while this book is almost solely about her
Melanie

ARC provided by Tor in exchange for an honest review.
Denise
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Better plotted than the first book.
Nicky
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I might not like Mokoya as much as I came to like Akeha, but I did really enjoy getting to spend more time in this world and especially the character of Rider, who didn’t appear in the previous book. This is set after The Black Tides of Heaven, and deals with some of the fallout from what happens there. Mokoya’s grief and anger and failure to deal with everything is well done, though sometimes her husband seemed a little too good to be true. Who’s that understanding? Well, somebody I’d like to k ...more

• The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle #1)
  • The Order of the Pure Moon Reflected in Water
  • A Taste of Honey (The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps, #2)
  • Silver in the Wood (The Greenhollow Duology, #1)
  • In the Vanishers’ Palace
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • The Black God's Drums
  • Finna
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • A Dead Djinn in Cairo
  • The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion (Danielle Cain, #1)
  • Miranda in Milan
  • Passing Strange
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015
  • Stormsong (The Kingston Cycle, #2)
JY Yang is the author of the Tensorate series of novellas from Tor.Com Publishing (The Red Threads of Fortune, The Black Tides of Heaven, and two more slated for 2018 and 2019). Their short fiction has been published in over a dozen venues, including Uncanny Magazine, Lightspeed, Clarkesworld, and Strange Horizons.

In previous incarnations, they have been a molecular biologist; a writer for animati

Tensorate (4 books)
  • The Black Tides of Heaven (Tensorate, #1)
  • The Descent of Monsters (Tensorate, #3)
  • The Ascent to Godhood (Tensorate, #4)