Start by marking “The Turquoise Table: Finding Community and Connection in Your Own Front Yard” as Want to Read:
The Turquoise Table: Finding Community and Connection in Your Own Front Yard

The Turquoise Table: Finding Community and Connection in Your Own Front Yard

A simple way to connect your neighborhood, your community and build friendships.

Are you consumed with a busy life but unsure how to slow down? Do you desire connection within your community and think, “Absolutely, but I don’t have time for that” or “I can’t create that”? What if there was another way through it all, a way to find those moments of peace and to create a tim
Published June 6th 2017 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about The Turquoise Table, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Turquoise Table

Melissa Lewis
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Thumbs up for the concept and the visual appearance. What a lovely idea to live as front yard people with a turquoise table. Loved the emphasis on hospitality. From a reader perspective, the chapters were redundant and it felt like the author was trying too hard to stretch out the concept into a whole book.
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My first initial impressions were that I loved the way the book feels in my hands. This isn't your normal book. It reads more like a small, yet beautiful coffee table book that you can shove in your purse. The pages are gorgeous and so inviting, just like the painted picnic table that the author created. I love how this book is one that creates spaces for community, relationships and to meet new people. The idea behind this is that you can invite people over and you don't have to worry about a c ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: relationships
I’ve never forgotten a survey I did back in 2000 for the government. In it, I interviewed exactly 100 people. It was one question that shocked me. “Outside of my immediate family, I have few friends.” Ninety-five people agreed with that question.

We are feeling a poverty of connection here in America.

Kristin Schell has struck out against that lack of connection by doing something incredibly simple: placing a table painted turquoise in her front yard and visiting at the table with passing people.
Charlsa
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was much more than what I expected. I thought this would be a sweet little book about entertaining in your front yard, but it is a book about faith and community and connection. It has reminded me that I am not doing enough to extend the love of Jesus to my neighbors through simple acts of hospitality. Yep, I feel compelled to do this now.
Kelly Barker
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Turquoise Table is an excellent book for those that are longing to connect with people. The author provides you with stories of her own life experiences and how her vision to become hospitable incarnated in her putting a turquoise table in her front yard. She provides brain storming prompts, practical ideas of how to get started and tried and true recipes.
Ginger
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My new friend Jane told me about this book, I promptly left our meeting, purchased a copy, and read it over the course of a day (really, just an hour or two total, but I started it before bed one evening).

I have to say, I don't think my neighborhood/yard/house is right for a turquoise picnic table (though I do LOVE that color), but it has given me quite a few small, practical ideas as to how to work hospitality into my every day life better, taking advantage of EVERY opportunity. What's more tha
Denise Spicer
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quick read and mildly interesting story about a sweet Christian lady who felt called to be more hospitable and so she put a turquoise table in her front yard to meet her neighbors, etc. Although a nice concept this book will mainly be of interest to people who are:
A. gregarious, friendly, outgoing, do-gooders
B. affluent or at least well enough off to provide snacks for all the neighbors
C. have good homeowners insurance.
The book has recipes and activities to stimulate ideas for other “Front Yar
Juliana
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
We didn't have a turquoise picnic table in our front yard--but my Dad was always out front with a bunch of his friends and neighbors in lawn chairs. This is a sweet, pretty little how-to book about community and connection. If nothing else, my family just enjoyed eating the Overnight French Toast recipe in the first chapter. So I would say it has served its purpose.
Donna Craig
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is a quick easy read written in a conversational tone. It is visually appealing as well. My husband and I really enjoyed reading and discussing it. The author found a way to be hospitable and neighborly without having to entertain in a spotless house. We were excited and inspired by her ideas. We can’t wait to try them out in our neighborhood!
Melody Riggs
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kristin Schell wanted to get to know her neighbors. So she put a picnic table in her front yard, painted it turquoise, and started a movement. I loved how she emphasized hospitality over entertainment. I also loved how she encouraged keeping things simple. I spend a lot of time on my front porch, but this book encouraged me to be more intentional with that time.
Hope Eifert
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really practical tips on building community and hospitality. Feels very inspiring and do-able. I thought of it as baby steps to Gospel Comes with a House Key.
Krista
Aug 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Heard the audiobook through overdrive. LOVED the content, but the reader was rather flat.
Janice McLaughlin
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is about establishing community in simple ways wherever you are, and there are some great recipes included.
Annaliese Wink
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book. It's so pretty, and will spend time on my coffee table to display. And the author's heart and life are simply beautiful. The content, however seemed redundant and more fitting for a blog. I didn't feel overly stimulated. And maybe that's my own problem. I don't typically love books with the "challenges" and questions that feel so hokey.
Lisa Hammer
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Loved the message of the book, gave good ideas of hospitality but the writing style was just too simple for me, overall lacked depth
Annie Rim
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
I've read other books about the importance of hospitality but The Turquoise Table grabbed my attention fully. Perhaps is that Kristin Schell offers such grace in the journey. She shares her own stories - both relatable successes and failures - as she found her rhythm living in her front yard. She also shares the stories of others living life with their neighbors and through this mix she gives permission to find your own path. For some, an actual turquoise picnic table in the front yard is a perf ...more
Julia
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a quick read but one I appreciated as it held an important message. To be honest it's much more religiously oriented than something I would typically pick up (there are quoted bible versus throughout the text) but there are also simple recipes shared throughout the book. Overall it's easy to understand the story behind the text and be connected to the larger message - connecting to community and giving yourself permission to turn the thought into action. Its cute and quirky to think abou ...more
Leah Good
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, non-fiction
Do you ever wish you knew your neighbors? Do you ever think wistfully of bygone days of sitting on the front porch, waving, and calling to people by name as they walk past? "The Turquoise Table" is the story of one woman's hunch of a way to neighbor well, and her invitation to join her in being front yard people.

This book was a fairly light read. It's enhanced with full color picture illustrations, testimonies, and recipes. The content is definitely meant to sit and read through, but the book is
Stratia
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! The author, Kristin Schell, does an amazing job sharing how she got had a God given burden to opening herself up and establishing relationships and connections in the community through the turquoise table. She shares how relationships were established and personal lives were shared at this table placed in her front yard. You don’t have to be worried about a clean house or what food to make in order to provide hospitality which is the main concern to most people before ...more
Abbi
This idea of building relationships/community around the table is a theme I’ve focused on in my personal life pretty heavily over the last couple of years. I loved reading the author’s revelations as she went from being over-busy and lonely to intentional and connected to her family and neighbors on a deep, meaningful level. Her suggestions were easily doable for anyone, and the anecdotes were all so inspiring. Also, as a graphic designer myself, I thought this book was beautifully crafted, with ...more
Kaytee Cobb
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good thing I liked this book and ordered my own copy because I accidentally set my coffee mug on the open page and I'll have to replace the library copy anyway. oops.
This goes right along with the neighboring/ hospitality bug that has bitten me over the past few years, ever since reading The Art of Neighboring by Dave Runyon and Jay Pashak. I envision a neighborhood that feels like community and Schell has great suggestions for ways to make that happen on a small scale instead of relying on the
Jennifer Lucking
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I ordered online after having the book on my "to read" list for quite a while and hearing Kristin on a podcast. I expected a typical non-fiction book, maybe with a couple of pictures. Was pleasantly surprised to see a beautiful book - kind of "coffee table" style book. It really is quite beautiful. Book is easy to read, nothing is that out of the box, but her message about relationship-building, community, and the art of listening and loving each other well was refreshing and genuine. Beautiful ...more
Aimee Kollmansberger
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love this concept so much. As new to a neighborhood, I just took our battered picnic tables and am in the midst of painting them turquoise and white. This weekend they will find a new home in the front yard so that we can be available and open to our neighbors. This idea was an answer to prayer I began 9 months ago... that God would give me a simple, practical and sustainable way to know + love the people around me.

*also her podcast interview with Rosaria Butterfield is gold*
Rebecca Speight
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this idea - to live life in the front yard and be more aware of the people around you. Community is so hard to do today - working away from home 10 hours a day, kids on electronics and watching TV inside. How can we show people hospitality if we never see them? And not just at home, but in the church too. I see the Turquoise Table as the adult version of the ‘Buddy Bench’ some schools have. This book gave me lots to think about being more intentional in my interactions.
MacKenzie
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in less than 24 hours- it was nothing short of inspiring! Simple, heartfelt, deep and meaningful. I have listened to Kristen on podcasts before and have wanted a Turquoise Table for quite some time, but this book drove it home even further! I also loved that so much of the inspiration came from France!
Tricia
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love the idea of this. I had been thinking of putting a table in the front yard- granted a turquoise table wasn't what I had in mind- but a table with maybe a tabletop fire bowl. I have an alley garage and never see the front of my house. Would be a big step for an introvert though.🙈
Jennie
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this book, I really did. I liked the look and feel and message. It made me appreciate my neighbors and how we don't need a table, we already have community. If you're looking for something profound, it's not here. But that doesn't mean it's not an enjoyable book, because it was.
Cherry Martinez
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
An easy read. Not life changing for me, but just an easy pleasant read.
Maddie Spilde
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Where do I begin?? This book made me want to order my own turquoise picnic table right now, if it wasn’t -10 degrees outside. I LOVED the realization that everyone has a need to be part of a community and I have been looking for that more and more since I started college. Hands down, I believe everyone needs to pick up this quick read and start building some great communities!!
Susan
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this simple idea for creating community in your own neighborhood. Quick, easy, and practical read.
Turquoise Table Chapter 1 and 2 1 4 May 24, 2018 06:48AM

• A Fierce Love: One Woman’s Courageous Journey to Save Her Marriage
  • GraceLaced: Discovering Timeless Truths Through Seasons of the Heart
  • Crossing the Waters: Following Jesus Through the Storms, the Fish, the Doubt, and the Seas
  • Longing for Paris: One Woman's Search for Joy, Beauty, and Adventure--Right Where She Is
  • The Art of Neighboring: Building Genuine Relationships Right Outside Your Door
  • Mastering the Seven Decisions That Determine Personal Success: An Owner's Manual to the New York Times Bestseller, the Traveler's Gift
  • Hello Mornings: How to Build a Grace-Filled, Life-Giving Morning Routine
  • Taste and See: Discovering God among Butchers, Bakers, and Fresh Food Makers
  • A New Kind of Normal: Hope-Filled Choices When Life Turns Upside Down
  • The Nesting Place: It Doesn't Have to Be Perfect to Be Beautiful
  • Not Marked: Finding Hope and Healing after Sexual Abuse
“We live in a world where people profile and label each other, size each other up. What if we shifted our focus to our similarities? To welcoming one another, listening to stories, learning from one another? It's time to change the conversation. I believe most social ills can be healed or prevented by the simple act of talking to one another, face-to-face, at a common table.” 3 likes
“...the way to a friend's heart is through your ears.” 0 likes