Start by marking “Cast in Fury (Chronicles of Elantra #4)” as Want to Read:
Cast in Fury (Chronicles of Elantra #4)

Cast in Fury

(Chronicles of Elantra #4)

When a minority race of telepaths is suspected of causing a near-devastating tidal wave, Private Kaylin Neya is summoned to Court—and into a PR nightmare. To ease racial tensions, the emperor has commissioned a play, and the playwright has his own ideas about who should be the focus.…

But Kaylin works her best magic behind the scenes, and though she tries to stay neutral, s
Published October 1st 2008 by Luna

To ask other readers questions about Cast in Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cast in Fury

Justine
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another solid entry in the Chronicles of Elantra. As usual, the story picks up shortly after the events of the previous book. The racial prejudice that Kaylin successfully confronted herself still prevails in Elantra in the aftermath of events that nearly destroyed the city.

In the midst of this, a new challenge arises for Kaylin and Severn when their Sargeant, Marcus, is held for murder of a fellow Leontine. As this is being dealt with by the Caste Courts, Kaylin and Servern have no jurisdictio
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
I think I liked this one less than the last one. It doesn't have a lot of Nightshade in it - who knew I'd miss that guy, but I did. He's a nice and mysterious one. There's more dragons and Severn still, yay. This time around it's all about the Lions and a playwright.

Kaylin & Severn are the cultural consultants to Rennick, the Imperial playwright, writing a play on the Tha'lanni (tentacle mind readers). This part was super boring and I didn't enjoy it.

As usual, there's something that Kaylin
Choko
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*** 4.55 ***

This was,... it was... gosh, heartbreakingly beautiful and emotionally devastating, wonderful story! I realize that not everyone will feel the same, and I am cool with that, since I am well aware that I am a tenderhearted sap... And maybe almost 5 stars might be a tad too high a rating, but I finally figured out why I am so drawn to this series. Yes it has a fun fantastic world, yes the main protagonist is a cool girl who kicks ass, and most of all, there are DRAGONS!!! But what has
Jensownzoo
Dec 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I just love this series and each book further explores the fantastic world that the author has created. This book does that even more than some of the other selections. The overt action is more muted in this novel and the primary activity revolves around a murder mystery, the creation of a political play, and the result of the protagonist's volunteer midwifery. The culture of the Leontine race is more fully explored. I can't wait for the next one!
Robyn
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Yet another excellent entry into the series, yet another facet of the world unveiled. The history of Elantra is becoming clearer with each instalment, and I rather love the procedural style of each investigation. Classic comfort reading.
Maria Dimitrova
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's time to take a closer look at the Leontines *happy* Markus is one of my favourite characters of the series and the Leontines seem to have a peculiar social structure similar enough to a pride but with some major differences. Markus' Pridlea are great, fierce females and I love the way they intereact with each other and with Kaylin.The origin story of this race was fascinating and only opened a door to more questions regarding these Ancient Ones.

Getting to know more about the races inhabiti
Anne Osterlund
Dec 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Kaylin is a Hawk. An investigative cop in a realm where safety is relative. Where each case is defined by the neighborhood and the magical species involved. And just how many superiors Kaylin will manage to offend.

When Marcus, i.e. her boss—who also happens to be a Leontine (super large catlike person with a serious antipathy for paperwork) is accused of murder, there really isn’t any question of whether Kaylin will get involved.

Only of how many rules she will have to break.

Cast in Fury is the f
Shelley
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2008-release
*Fantasy* Dragons, Magic, Fantasy
*Rating* 3.5-4.0

First Thoughts!

I really like this series! Seriously I do. I love the world building. I love the turmoil that Kaylin gets into time and time again. I love the fact that she somehow, someway manages to thwart the bad guys designs with her Old One's magic that hasn't been fully explored as of yet. You learn something new about Kaylin's abilities every time out and not even those around her can imagine what she is capable of.

I also love Merrin. I love
Jun 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
So obviously, each book in this series will focus on a different race or group of people, this one all about Leontine politics. The plot was straightforward and compelling, but the book overall lacked some of the emotional pull that I felt in the previous books. I did however really enjoy a new character, Rennick, the pompous prima donna playwright for the emperor. It would be so easy to turn this type of comedic character into a total caricature, but this doesn't happen.

The cover, btw, makes a
Mskychick
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: henrico-ebook
Fav quotes:
One of the things that living in the fiefs taught you was that it didn’t particularly matter which god you prayed to—none of them listened, anyway.

The magelights were burning, but they always were, and even this close to the river, no enterprising and desperate thief had managed to dislodge them from their high perches. People were afraid of magic, even magic that they saw every day. That, and it was hard to carry a ladder furtively.
Emilee Powell
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This author is in desperate need of a better editor. Not only were there a few traditional editing problems, the author needs to be reminded that after the fiftieth time of mentioning in the series that orange dragon eyes means danger and red dragon eyes means duck and cover, you really only have to mention that fact once or twice in the next books in the series. Or assume that your readers aren't complete idiots and let them figure it out in the continuing books using situational clues. Also, w ...more
Nicole Luiken
I'm so far behind in this series... First book is still my favorite, but Elantra is a very cool world with lots of corners to poke around in. This book primarily dealt with Leontine culture, but we did dip back into the fiefs and see Lord Nightshade again! I felt like the pacing was a bit slow in this book, but honestly it may have been because I was spending my days intensely editing and had a bit of a problem turning that part of my brain off when I picked up the book.
Marina
I give this book 5 stars. What an amazing story. I can't tell you how much I love the world building! this is a very creative, compelling world. i can't say anything about the incredible cast of characters! I have no words. Dang! The world is populated by all sorts of fascinating species: the immortal Barrani, Dragons and Tha'lani, the mortal humans and Leontine and Aerians. Very much in my head during this book and after.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeffrey
Jul 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sagara fans of Elantra
Shelves: read-in-2008, fantasy
Kaylin Neya, a private in the investigative wing of the Empire's Hawks, bears on her body certain marks that have magical power. She is not the first to bear the marks. In prior books we have learned that she is able to use the marks to perform feats of magic and power that are the equal of the most powerful of the inhabitants of the land. The Emperor, who is a dragon lord, has assigned a Dragon Mage to teach Kaylin how to use the magic. Kaylin Neya has mostly used her power to help as a midwife ...more
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the series, character development in sci-fi/fantasy
My favorite of the series so far. Kaylin is growing up, slowly and painfully and well aware of her convictions. She is beginning to define herself by what she loves rather than what she is afraid of. She is slowly beginning to understand when silence is called for which was always Kaylin's problem.

The next book is entitled Cast in Silence I wonder if Kaylin is going to learn the value of silence even more :)

Severn is still a mystery but it is obvious that he cares for Kaylin because of who she
Sho
Jan 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, re-read
I am rereading the series with the audiobook and devouring them!
This book goes into the legend/history of Leotines and we get to find out why the foundling hall was founded. We also get to see the family life Marcus leads and how Kaylin was adopted as part of the family.

The focus of the story is a question. Should we destroy something based on what one “might” become in the future or should we allow the chance for a better future? I love the way the story develops and explores the myths as well
RogueHireling
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
These books are getting longer and longer and filled with more and more filler, but I still love them. The story is simply incredible.
Although like the previous books the details get lost in all the philosophical ideas.
Also I would like for the main character to finally get a clue. How much more life experience does it take??? I understand that the author does not want her to be smarter then the immortals, but damn she really is annoying sometimes, not making leaps of logic that are apparent an
Chelsea
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quick Thoughts
1. This book was must easier to follow than the previous ones.
2. I wish the author followed up on the potential love interest. It would make the book a little happier.
3. Lots of things going on in this book. So much action.
4. The world here is incredible. There's so many different races and all of them have their own section in this city. I'd love a map.
5. There's tons of fantasy and magic in this book and I love it.
Summer
I love this series to pieces. It gets a little annoying after a while how it's endlessly repeated about the main character's tendency to be late. I am also a little disappointed with there being a lack of Lord Nightshade as I totally love him. However even with my little complaints I still love this series and this book was no exception.
Kivrin
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite fantasy series. I loved the world the author has created, and again in this one, she introduces to a race that is alien and yet somehow so "human".

My biggest complain--not enough Nightshade! He's one of my favorite characters and barely makes an appearance.
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

Really enjoyed the insights in to the Leontine race, the Prideleas, etc in this book. The second half of the book was much stronger than the first half and I felt like the overall story was finally starting to gain momentum.
Paraphrodite
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2015
3.5 stars.
Meghan
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
super fun and the dialogue was delightful.
Mary
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Why isn't there more Nightshade in this story?!?
Kathy Davie
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Fourth in the Chronicles of Elantra fantasy series revolving around Kaylin Neya.

My Take
Absolutely fascinating as Sagara expands on another of the civilizations that make up the inhabitants of Elantra, focusing on the Leontines this time, and we learn a great deal about its society, its culture and origins, and its stance on babies. Of Marrin's past and her reasons for starting the Foundling Halls. All of which Sagara uses to twist this tale of propaganda and murder. And, man, does she dribble ou
Lassarina Aoibhell
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
As each book in the series has visited another of Elantra's races, this one takes its turn with the Leontines, picking up on a couple of threads from the previous book and tying them back together. There's a lot going on here that pits Kaylin's two major devotions (children and the Law) against each other, while carrying on some of the obvious fallout from the previous book.

Kaylin's growth really shines here; there are a lot of places where book-one-Kaylin would have just let words fall out of h
Carol Gibson
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-and-fantasy
I really enjoyed this book in the Chronicles of Elantra. The story picks shorty after the last one and we see the aftermath of the almost destruction of the city by the tidal wave. The humans not understanding what almost happened acting in fear blame the Than'lani and the Swords have been called out to protect them.

The Emperor orders the Imperial playwright to write play to calm everyone down and orders Kaylin and Severn to help while not actually telling him what happened. If that is not enou
Claire
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm happy to say this series is getting better as it goes along. The author is gradually unfolding the Elantran world for the readers, and it's enjoyable to follow the development.

My primary stumbling block with this series is, unfortunately, the main character, Kaylin. There are times when I get tired of her immaturity and clueless-ness. (I think it's because everyone around her appears to know what's going on and while she's aware there are things she doesn't know, she doesn't always seem to
Unwisely
Book 4 and I'm still loving the world. Things that happened in Book 3 (Cast in Secret) have consequences! I was charmed by the mix of more traditional fantasy and political fallout that this series manages - it's not quite what I would call urban fantasy, there's no quest like high fantasy, it's not the political fantasy of Wheel of Time - but whatever it is, I'm still enjoying it.

This is the third book of the "hai, here's some more about the races we alluded to in book 1" streak (2= Barrani/el
Matilde Damkier
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: genre-fantasy
I still like the series. It's hard for me to say, but I do.

However, like a lot of other reviews I've read, I really feel like we need something to happen with our characters. Nightshade is only thrown in as a remedy when the cases stall, and Severn is described only as her shadow, and that's all he acts as anyway.
Kaylin, while having saved Elantra four times now from certain doom, has developed very little as a character. Not even her situation seems much changed. I really hope the looming meeti
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: Cast in Fury (#37) 1 2 Sep 19, 2013 03:16PM

• City of Night (The House War, #2)
  • Children of the Blood (The Sundered, #2)
  • Bewitched & Betrayed (Raine Benares #4)
  • Harvest Moon (Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms, #5.5; Chronicles of Elantra, #0.5)
  • Heroes Return (Hero, #5)
  • The King's Own (Borderlands, #2)