Start by marking “Map of the Heart” as Want to Read:
Map of the Heart

Map of the Heart

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  4,351 Ratings  ·  571 Reviews

Love and family. War and secrets. Betrayal and redemption.

#1 New York Times bestselling author Susan Wiggs returns with a deeply emotional and atmospheric story that spans oceans and decades, from the present-day Delaware shore to the battlefields of WWII France.

Widowed by an unspeakable tragedy, Camille Palmer has made her peace with the past and settled into the quie

Published August 8th 2017 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Map of the Heart, please sign up.
Sharon Shop at your local bookstore, The Book Worm. They have people who can help you find books on the topics you love and order them for you, if they don't…moreShop at your local bookstore, The Book Worm. They have people who can help you find books on the topics you love and order them for you, if they don't have them in stock. Regarding pulling up free books, your local library can show you how to do that and their books are free. If you're searching online type in Best Amish books or Best Native American books. https://firstnations.org/books has a list of books you might like, several by Louise Erdrich. (less)

Carolyn's
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, 6-stars
WOW! Just WOW!

Map of the Heart stole my heart and led me on a romantic journey of healing and love in both present day and war torn France in WWII. Susan Wiggs wrote an amazing story that was intriguing, capturing the beautiful and tragic moments of a family that (rather they realize it or not) is in search of healing.

While we are introduced to Camille Adams who is a widow raising her teenage daughter alone yet with a strong family presence supporting her, Camille is merely going through the m
Noriko
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Writing

Beautiful, descriptive, and poetic. I could easily visualize the beautiful, soothing landscape of Southern France under the bright sunshine, and the beach.
The pacing is on-point. I didn’t find anything to fault in her writing.

Characters

I didn’t get to invest in any of the characters as a matter of fact. The cast of characters is diverse and intriguing, yet I felt nothing but irritation toward the main character, Camille. She lost her beloved husband in a climbing accident 5 years ago and
Sue
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a long time reader of Susan Wiggs and this is my favorite book by her. It's a wonderful story told in a dual time line with characters that readers can identify with. The settings in France are beautiful and the plot keeps the reader interested until the last page.

Camille and her teenage daughter, Julie, live by themselves in a small town and both are still mourning the loss of their husband/father five years after his death. Camille used to be brave and fearless but since her husba
Eileen
Jun 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The plot of this sounded enticing. It’s difficult for me to resist WWII and the Resistance and so forth! However, having read fifty pages or so, I couldn’t get past the more than occasional crude references to bodily functions! They cast a pallor over the fairly unremarkable writing, from my perspective. What was the point? Reminded me boys in junior high.
Michele
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars - Top Pick!

See the full review at HarlequinJunkie.com

Heartbreakingly beautiful, Map of the Heart was another captivating piece of fiction from Susan Wiggs. A dual storyline set in WWII-era France and then in Bethany Bay, Delaware in the present time, we followed two couples who each faced serious challenges and seemingly insurmountable odds.

Susan Wiggs is one of my go-to authors for women’s fiction/chick lit. She always writes a heartfelt story and also frequently incorp
Karen Kay
I received this ARC from netgalley.com in exchange for a review.

The story is told in dual time lines, current day Massachusetts and France during WW II "An accomplished photographer, widow, and mother, Camille Palmer is content with the blessings she’s enjoyed. When her ageing father asks her to go with him to his native France, she has no idea that shes embarking on an adventure that will shake her complacency and utterly transform her. "

The ending is all wrapped up in a tidy ball, it was an o
Renee
My favorite genre—dual time line/WW II & contemporary—from a talented story teller and narrator combo. Once I started listening, I could not stop! Great listening experience. Really enjoyed it.
Anna
Camille Adams has not fully recovered from the tragic accident that killed her husband. She projects her fear of risk onto her daughter Julie, keeping her close to home. Julie is struggling at school, but doesn't want to upset her mother in her grief. When a trunk is sent to Camille's father from his childhood home in France, the mysteries of their family's past are brought to light. It also opens up a chance to find new beginnings for Camille, her father and Julie.
The story is told alternating
Kathryn
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbp-2017, 5-stars
Loved it.
Cathy Daniel
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BEST BOOK OF 2017! Camille annoyed me a little bit but she was understandable and sympathetic. Besides that small quibble, I loved everything about this book. The characters were so well done. From the teenager and her story to the grandfather. I was so enthralled in the dual timeline . I really don't know which I loved more! The ending was SO PERFECT! The romance wasn't overstated. In the beginning I worried it would be "too much" but the distance was a nice way of them to get to know each othe ...more
Lori
This would have been a solid 3 stars; I just don’t feel it was one of her better books. But then....she had to go and make grandpa gay. Why? It served zero purpose nor added anything of value to the story. Like it was shoved in as an afterthought just to keep up with what the hot topic is right now.
Deborah Morgan
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-adult
I loved the two stories happening back and forth.
Asheley
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is a standalone with dual timelines, set in present day with flashbacks to WWII-era France. This is the story of a woman that is afraid to loosen up and live because she is crippled by fear and past hurts. It’s also a story of family.

Camille lives as a helicopter parent, doing her best to keep her daughter Julie safe, but mostly stifling Julie’s adventurous spirit (and her own). After the tragic death of Camille’s husband about five years ago, Camille is terrified of risk, afraid she
Vikki Vaught
What an enjoyable read! So glad I decided to download this audio version. It's been years since I've read a book by Susan Wiggs; now I remember why I always loved her books. Great story, great charaters, lots of emotionally writing. Happy reading!
Andrea
Oct 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Two storylines run parallel here (present day & WW2 eras), and eventually intertwine. So what happens when you adore one plot (or more accurately, one set of characters) and the other is simply, "meh"? A 3 star rating, I suppose.
Nirit
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
אי אפשר לפול בספר על סודות משפחתיים.
קמיל, מומחית בשחזור סרטי צילום ישנים, וגם אלמנה ואם לבת, נוסעת עם אביה ובתה לכפר הולדתו של האב בדרום צרפת, כדי להתחקות אחר עברו של האב. בדרך לגילוי העבר, גם ההווה של קמיל ושל בתה מחלים.
ספר מושלם לקריאה מתחת לפוך או על חוף הים. בעצם ספר מושלם לכל מזג אוויר ומצב רוח. קריאה קלילה וזורמת, וקיטש בדיוק במידה הנכונה.
Helen
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

‘The moments of life are ephemeral and unpredictable. We must capture the best ones and keep them safe in our hearts.’

I was eager to read a Susan Wiggs book and was pleasantly surprised by this dual time narrative with characters that a range of readers should identify with. With idyllic French Provencal settings and a plot to keep the reader engaged to the end, it proved a wonderful read. The insight into photography is a real bonus and I appreciated the
Marlene
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

I picked up Map of the Heart because I absolutely adored last year’s Family Tree. And while I did like Map of the Heart, it just didn’t suck me into reading it in a single non-stop day the way that Family Tree did.

I want to say that Map of the Heart is two stories blended into one. But that happens on more than one axis, making me wonder if I should describe it as two stories, or perhaps four.

First, it’s a time-slip story. While most of the action takes pla
Kathleen
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Map of the Heart is an emotional family saga of secrets, betrayals, heartbreak , understanding and most of all a love that spans through time and finds it's way back in an extraordinary way. The journey that takes the reader across oceans to France and back to the lovely waterfront village in Bethany Bay in Delaware.
Camille and her father, along with her daughter Julie will take a summer in France to find the secrets about who her father really is. Helping her with this search is a Finn, who is
Marie
I enjoyed listening to this novel while I painted a room in my house. The dual timeline added intrigue to the story--I found the contemporary sections to be unremarkable, but the WWII segments were lovely. I never really felt terribly invested in the contemporary characters, and I'd have liked them to be a bit more dynamic, but the 1940s characters more than made up for this deficiency. All in all, an enjoyable "chick lit" novel perfect for summer reading.

Audiobook performance: pretty good, alth
JoAnn
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Map of the Heart by Susan Wiggs is well written with believable characters and a great plot. I love this author's books and this one was no exception.

I received an ARC via Netgalley and this is my unbiased review.
Amber
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book!! Such a sweet story in a time of sadness :)
Rya Marrelli
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75! I thoroughly enjoyed this, though a few parts were a bit too cheesy for my taste! But all of the different stories wove together really nicely!
Robin
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I gave this 4 stars, I rounded up because I wanted to keep reading, but felt that it tried to cover too much (bullying, nazis, underground allied supporter, homosexuality).
Kathy
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As can be expected from this author, all of whose books I have read and thoroughly enjoyed, this is another fantastic heartwarming read about two women who struggle to overcome the vestiges of their past memories as they move on in the world. Little does Camille Palmer, an accomplished photographer, widow, and mother of Julie, know how a trip her elderly father takes her and Julie on to his native France will transform both of their lives. Camille still mourns her dead husband, Jace, and has not ...more
Toni
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, I believe that Susan Wings is a wonderful writer and I pre-order any book that she creates so possibly I am bit biased. This is a well- crafted blending of a contemporary and historical tale. I would have rated it higher if Camille had not annoyed me as much as she did at times. She survived a tragedy and at times I was empathetic ;however, more often , I was merely annoyed with her. I do not wish to give any spoilers. But the familial relationships, the historical family stories were ...more
Chantal
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have ignited my love for the audio book! This was my second audio book in a row and I am kind of hooked. I really liked this story. The idea was crazily far fetched but I suppose that is the reason romance sucks us in. Fantasy always seems better than real life. I will definitely read...or maybe listen...to another by her.
RumBelle
Oct 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book sounded like such a great story. I love novels about family mysteries and secrets, especially when they revolve around World War II. So much about this book annoyed me though, it made it extremely unpleasant to read. First, Camille. EVERYTHING freaked this woman out. Her father going to France, her teen daughter staying home while she went out to a festival, her daughter participating in a school surf training class. Anytime any other character would suggest something to her, her immed ...more
Linda
A 5+ star book! Susan Wiggs has written another masterpiece. The characters are realistic and likeable. The situation is believeable. A beautifully written novel that celebrates the bonds of family, relationships and life's cycle. It pays homage to the sacrifices of the past. A must read!
Anne
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while a story comes along that you know will stay with you long after you have put the book down. Map of the Heart is such a story. If asked to describe it in one word that word would be - beautiful. Simply beautiful.
Susan Wiggs's life is all about family, friends...and fiction. She lives at the water's edge on an island in Puget Sound, and she commutes to her writers' group in a 17-foot motorboat. She serves as author liaison for Field's End, a literary community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, bringing inspiration and instruction from the world's top authors to her seaside community. (See www.fieldsend.org ...more
“she leaped down the porch steps to her car. There was no thought. No planning. Just action. When you get a call that your kid is in the ER, there can be no room for thinking. Just the deepest fear imaginable, the kind that gripped like a steel band around her chest.” 1 likes
“There were few forces greater than the power of a fourteen-year-old’s determination when she wanted something. A teenager would stop at nothing in order to get her way.” 1 likes