Start by marking “Blackwater” as Want to Read:
Blackwater

Blackwater

A dark, chilling psychological thriller from the number one bestselling author of the Emperor series. Blackwater was published as part of the Quick Reads initiative on World Book Day 2006.

How do you know when you're in too deep?

Davey has always lived in the shadow of his older brother, a smiling sociopath who will stop at nothing to protect himself and his family. But when

Published by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (first published April 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Blackwater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackwater

Lance Greenfield
Oct 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Blackwater by Conn Iggulden is a fast-moving story told by Davey, a man who has lived his life as a tragic victim, often suffering at the hands of those closest to him. The book starts with Davey standing in the cold, calm, dark, nocturnal sea at Brighton beach, wearing his best suit and reflecting on his awful life.

Since childhood, his main tormentor has been his own brother, but things have recently got much worse. His wife treats him very badly, but he can suffer that because of his deep-seat
Sally Whiteside
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very clever. I love these short stories.
Leandro
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lidos-2018
gostei
Liselott
Blackwater is a dark and fast paced, chilling thriller about Davey, an ordinary married man, but whose life doesn't offer him anything but the worst humiliation and terror a man can can possibly endure.
When he can't take it anymore he relies on his older brother for help. Like so many times before, Davey knows that his brother stops at nothing in order to protect his family.
Iggulden made the story so realistic and alive it unnerved me as the story went on. A great short read.
Mandy
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Good, fast-paced little thriller that was actually quite chilling to read.
Saarah Niña
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful quick read! CHILLING.

A boy who lives in his older brother's shadow soon realises that he may be better off looking out for himself. Their brotherly bond is tested and the trust forever lost.

An impressive short story. I was blown away by the ending and if not for the inherent darkness in their relationship, I quite liked their protective brotherhood.
Declan Waters
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A great little short story from Iggulden which shows the danger of upsetting quiet men. Our hero (anti-hero) tells us his past, his wife (who is cheating on him) and his soon to be future. Very well written, and you end up caring for the main character (although you may end up hating him).

Recommended if you've got a spare 90 minutes!
Boosmummy
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Conn Iggulden and picked this up in our library whilst waiting in a queue. It's different and I wouldn't say it's a lovely book but more disturbing. It follows Davey and his weird relationship with both his brother and his wife. His wife brings into his life Denis Tanter who is determined to have Davey's wife all to himself. I didn't see the ending coming quite as it was written and would love to have known how Davey sorted his wife out!
Linda
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short, tightly scripted, developed characters.
Excellent short story from a master story teller.
Heather
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, this was a quick, depressing, little read and I certainly didn't expect the twist at the end. It shows how far someone will go when they humiliated all their lives.
Liz
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining shorty
Aaron Advani
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good short story
Rickard Falk
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting character study and a cool twist.
Isla Scott
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a surprisingly dark read. Its quite violent towards the end (I won't elaborate to try and avoid spoilers). It is a quick read at under 100 pages long - I read it in a couple of hours time or thereabouts. I thought it was an interesting read.
Natalee
First time reading Iggulden. Pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I found it a little slow to begin with however, once it got going, I was submerged into Davey's world.

I was wondering why Davey put up with Carol's ways and that never really got answered for me. I assumed that his brother would turn up at some point when reading about him at the beginning also. The twist at the end was an interesting surprise and I didn't see it coming at all.

A good book, that I am pleased to hav
Richard
I'm not a huge fan of short stories but sometimes after reading a long book, it makes a refreshing change. Few come up to the mark but this is an exceptional storyline from one of my favourite authors.
Amanda
Oct 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First off I have to say that this type of story is not my usual flavour of reading material... just about everything this story presents itself as is way outside my normal hunting grounds when it comes to enjoyable reading.

I NEVER pick up short stories (let alone read them), they're never long enough or have enough information in them for me to really get into the world. Just as I'm getting into the story/characters it ends and that annoys me; leaving me feeling frustrated and angry that there'
Jill
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This short read is only 7 chapters long...

On page 4, you will be asked: "You never really know when a story starts, do you?"

By the end of chapter 1, you will understand there is a sociopath. By the end of chapter 2, you will begin to understand the disillusionment and caged bitterness of the situation. By the end of chapter 3, you will understand what needs to happen....

But, as you sit there reading the remaining 4 chapters smug in your quiet confidence, you will inevitability forget to see wher
Peter Bambrowicz
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's a very quick read, took me no longer than 40 minutes to read it. The twist at the end is a twist inside of a twist, you'll never, ever see it coming. Maybe the first twist if you're really into this type of books, but as soon as you think you know what's about happen, a lyrical middle finger is placed right in front of your face. Grammatically, it tricks your brain into reading it in an Irish accent. It's mostly written in 'perfect' tense, so it's more evident to anyone from States or Canad ...more
Sam Wilkinson
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another Quick Reads book;

Davey's older brother had always looked out for him, so when he feels desperate When Denis Tanter tries to force Davey to leave his wife, it's natural that he turns to his brother for help.

This is another really dark one, but it's good. I wasn't sure how it would play out in the end, but I liked the ending. It was rather satisfying and the description of Davey's relationship with his wife was quite good. I'm just eternally grateful my marriage isn't like that!
Sam
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another Quick Reads book;

Jon
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
A good read, but not up to the same standard as his other works. Or maybe that's because it was such a departure in style from his historical fiction, which I have thoroughly enjoyed over the years.

Nonetheless, it was an interesting and somewhat disturbing insight into the mind of a humiliated man. Makes you consider just what length you would go to if you found yourself in a similar situation.
Miriam Michalak
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
A dark, psychological thriller ....a very, very short dark, psychological thriller :)

Conn Iggulden departs from his usual historical tomes with this modern short story. Well written and gripping, this wee tale delivers on all fronts. The short story format can be a difficult one - but Conn got this one down.
Cedric
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
a good quick read, I couldn't sleep one night so picked it up and didn't put it down till it was finished. The story grips you by the throat and never lets you go till you finished it, good deal if you can pick it up cheap since it only around 90 minutes of reading
Nihi
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
A well-written power fantasy that's far too violent for the story it tells. Not too much else to say about it, only read if you like this kind of thing, I suppose. In its favour it's very fast-moving, direct and easy to read.
Leela
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this entire book in a few hours, and I'm a slow reader, so it's quite short. The writing style is superb, although the theme is very different to Iggulden's usual (historical fiction). I quite enjoyed it though, would recommend to anyone looking for a casual read.
Eric Gittins
Dec 15, 2015 rated it liked it
A good who done it with a twist.
Satishkumar
Sep 09, 2011 rated it liked it
quick read start and finish.have some dark twist in the tale,psycho tale!.

i don't enjoy seeing psycho wining the tale.good book for quick read.

Den
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Davy is considering suicide - he has been walked all over all his life and there doesn't seem to be much more to live for. Then his brother arrives and saves him. I didn't expect the surprise ending.
Corleen gallinger
too short. I was just starting to "get into it" and it was finished.
  • Reaction
  • The Face of the Assassin
  • Branded (Orca Currents)
  • Empty Mile
  • Osprey Island
  • Losing Charlotte
  • The Body of Jonah Boyd
  • Robin and Ruby
  • Lying With the Dead
  • Pinocchio in Venice
  • The Half Life of Stars
  • When the Saints (The Brothers Magnus, #2)
  • The Five Jars
  • Mama's Boy and Other Dark Tales
  • The Swap
  • Les secrets de Castelcerf (L'assassin royal, #9)
  • Without Prejudice
  • Futureland
Also publishes under author name C.F. Iggulden.

I was born in the normal way in 1971, and vaguely remember half-pennies and sixpences. I have written for as long as I can remember: poetry, short stories and novels. It’s what I always wanted to do and read English at London University with writing in mind. I taught English for seven years and was Head of English at St. Gregory’s RC High School in Lo