Start by marking “Up Close: Oprah Winfrey (Up Close)” as Want to Read:
Up Close: Oprah Winfrey (Up Close)

Up Close: Oprah Winfrey (Up Close)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Oprah Winfrey has been called the Queen of All Media for good reason—during her more than thirty-year career, she has left an indelible mark on radio, television, film, theater, magazines, and books. Oprah is also a committed humanitarian.
Published April 5th 2007 by Viking Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Up Close, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up Close

Nov 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!!!
Recommended to Lucy by: Myself
Well everyone has always wondered what a day in Oprah's shoes would be like. Well as a fan and a reader of her biography I have learned so many things about Oprah Winfrey that I never knew about. And I'm sure others also. She started life just like a regular human being. Born in Mississippi,raised by grandma Hattie Mae,and discovered the beautiful things that the world has to offer. As the years went by Oprah went through some tough things that not every American goes through. From a miscarriage ...more
Elaini Young
Oct 19, 2011 rated it liked it
I just finished "Up Close: Oprah Winfrey" by Ilene Cooper, and I thought it was a great book. The book starts with early parts of OPrah childhood. She was born on January 24, 1954 in Kosciusko Mississippi. Her mother left her with grandmother while she traveled North to find work and her father didn't really know her since he was at war. There Oprah began geeting a talent for doing public speaking, mainly in her church. By the age of six, Oprah's mother came back for her and took her to Milwauke ...more
Judy Khalifa
Sep 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This biography was very interesting because I usually don't read biographies, but as I read this book I realized that biographies are not that bad. I still wouldn't go read a biography in my free time out of free will, but this book changed my opinion about biographies. I found this book very descriptive of Oprah's life, and it got right to the point. The problem is that sometimes I would get mixed up and I wouldn't exactly be sure how old she was or what point of her life they were talking abou ...more
Kolton Kolton
Feb 20, 2011 is currently reading it
This book was a pretty good book. It talks about oprahs life from when she was young to present day. It talks about her as a teenager being pregnant and how she hid her pregnancy until she had been pregnant for 8months. The child then died 2 weeks after birth. It talks about her struggling family life and about her growing up with different family members and how each of those people influenced her life. It talks about her weight problems and her diet of drinking only liquids for 4 months and lo ...more
Harun Harahap
Aug 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Biografi singkat tentang salah satu idola saya, Oprah WInfrey. Perjalanannya dari lahir hingga kini dikisahkan dengan begitu baik. Sehingga saya bisa memahami perjuangan yang ia lakukan untuk mencapai kesuksesannya saat ini. Hasil yang luar biasa berasal dari langkah-langkah kecil yang tak pelak terkena berbagai macam rintangan dan halangan.

Masa lalu yang sulit membuat ia bisa memahami perasaan orang lain yang juga mengalami penderitaan yang sama. Hal itulah yang membuat ia terkenal selain kasih
Alexis Kremer
I liked this book and thought that it was inspiring because this book talks about how Oprah has left an impact or magazines and radio/television. This book also talks about how she was on a radio show and how she got to have her own talk show. Oprah was not always rich, she used to be very poor and then she became famous. This story shows you that you can do whatever you put your mind to and if you believe in yourself or not. She had a dream and made it happen now she is a billionaire.
Maddie Carver
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book covers Oprah's childhood and her life growing up in Tennessee and Milwaukee. There are so many fascinating things I learned about Oprah throughout this book. Some of the struggles that came her way were problems with weight, rape, and lack of money to go through school. Oprah's talents of speaking and broadcasting came apparent and her career from then on skyrocketed. I would highly recommend this book to ages 13+.
Apr 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
I found this book as I was searching for biographies that teens might like. As I browsed through, I was hooked to this surprisingly well-written story. Oprah has lived quite the life, and I have a new respect for what she's been able to do.
Aug 01, 2010 rated it liked it
finish it in one day. kemajuan *nyengir bangga*. kisah biografi yang cukup komplet kalo menurut gw. ringan tapi masih berasa getir perjuangannya. read some books mentioned in it, like Lilies of The Field.
Jun 27, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I know. I'm totally pathetic, but I have to get a good celeb gossip book in here and there. Interesting read - I learned a lot about Oprah's early life. It really made me realize just how much she has accomplished in her life.
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It was amazing to read about her...I love her...finally I have the time to do some leisure reading.
Apr 29, 2009 rated it liked it
pretty good
now, when ever i watch Oprah i think of her past and i feel almost as if i have been a stalker watching her life from when she was only three. haha.
Jan 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Wow! What a rags to riches story! She not only came from a poor, single mother, but grew up back east during the black integration of schools and all the racial conflict during that period!
Jun 07, 2014