Start by marking “Please, Baby, Please” as Want to Read:
Please, Baby, Please

Please, Baby, Please

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  1,601 Ratings  ·  165 Reviews
Go back to bed,
baby please, baby, please.

Not on your HEAD,
baby baby baby, please!

Academy-Award nominated filmmaker Spike Lee and his wife, producer Tonya Lewis Lee, preset a behind-the-scenes look at the chills, spills, and unequivocal thrills of bringing up baby!

Vivid illustrations from celebrated artist Kadir Nelson evoke toddlerhood from sandbox to high chair to c
Published April 1st 2006 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published November 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Please, Baby, Please, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Please, Baby, Please

Kathryn
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Please, readers, please! Choose this book if you are a fan of Kadir Nelson's work. And if you haven't ever encountered his work, please begin. The illustrations are so wonderful! I just love the baby's expression on the front cover. This is one beautiful, spirited baby! The text is just fine, I really enjoyed the variations on the "please, baby" refrain and felt exhausted just reading about the baby's antics as each hour in the day passes. Whew! But the illustrations are the star.

One thing I wo
Mushi
Jul 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book, now in its third month in pre-bedtime reading, still manages to entertain.
Alexis Finnell
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read and discussed this in class. Loved it. Thought the baby resembled my nephew (around 1 at the time), so I bought it and brought it home at the end of the semester. He loved it and made sure someone read it to him multiple times before he went to bed. African American Children’s Lit is important!!
Bianca Orellana
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1-000-bbk
A super cute story made even cuter by the illustrations! My son loved the repetition of "baby baby baby" (because he knows, at this point, that he's a baby, too). A very sweet book.
Kristen
This reminded me a lot of No David. And I've had plenty of parents tell me how much they hate that book, so I feel like people who hate No, David! might also dislike this one. I, however, like the idea of behind books like this--that even though toddlers hear a lot of "no's" throughout the day, there parents still love them. I do wish that the toddler had called to both Mommy and Daddy in the end (it's really a bummer when daddies get left out of picture books all the time--whenever I try to rea ...more
Julie
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable story with good rhythm. Works well with a group. Everyone seems to like the diaper in the toy box page. Reading one-on-one, you can see the clock on each page showing when things happen in Baby's day.
N.D.
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this children's book years ago for my daughter. And it was absolutely wonderful - beautifully drawn and humorously written. A great family read.
Autumn
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bam-bam-1000kb4k
My 20 month old son selected this book by himself in the library. As soon as I saw it I knew exactly what is was going to be about just by looking at the wry smile on the little girl's face on the cover - a cheeky little toddler just like him! We've read it a couple times in the last few nights and we both LOVE IT! First off, the illustrations are very very detailed, beautiful and hilarious. It was shocking how closely the events of this little girl's day match our own! The text is pretty simple ...more
Carly Bonner
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: diversity
An accurate depiction of what a day in the life is like caring for a baby. I am not a mother myself, but I babysit A LOT. Most often, I am with a two year old for the majority of the day. It was so funny how I saw so much of him in this little girl! I feel like I am always using the phrase, "Baby, please." with him in order to get him to do something-or not do something-for me. The illustrations were just incredible. So much emotion is shown on the child's face and it allows the reader to unders ...more
Megan Ewald
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story is a rhyming book that goes through the baby's day and the different things he does. On each page you see him doing something naughty followed by his mother stepping in to say something. This book also helps to tell the time of day it is with a clock at the beginning of each sentence on the naughty pages. The illustrations and story are very well organized and clearly present.

I love this book and how it is told. The clock is a great added feature to help students run through the day.
Arielle Hitch
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book by Spike Lee tells the story of what it is like to be a parent. The baby will constantly bother them, but they love him anyways. Kadir Nelson uses lots of details to show how the baby grows up. The characters are the baby and his parents. I give this book four stars because it is a funny story about being a parent and raising a baby!
Mary
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wnmdb
A gift book for new parents of a daughter, or siblings of a baby sister. This is a humorous look a the mischief and messes made by babies. Repeated words make this appealing for early readers also. Discussion possibility: Is "please" really the best way to get baby to learn appropriate behavior?
Selena
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
2002, Multi-cultural. Please, baby, please goes through the daily life of this baby and all they're learning to do as they grow. Very adorable, and illustrated very well. Good read for a student with younger siblings or a good read-aloud.
Donna Mork
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute book about all the trouble a little one can get into, from not wanting to share, to eating things they shouldn't, to trying to wear things they should eat, etc. But at the end of the day, all baby wants is love.
Shira
In the same vein as The Boss Baby, Go the Fuck to Sleep and Must Push Buttons, this is a book that is true to life. If you want to know what it's like to have a toddler, read this book!
Shauna
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun board book with clocks on each page that coordinate with the baby's activities. Sweet ending. This is a good book for my little brown grandson.
rae
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Writing this review here while putting my kid to bed because she just made me read it to her 4x in a row.
Real Supergirl
Another great book about a black kid and his dog, presenting racial mirrors without being about racism.
Jocelyn F. Young
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My little darlings absolutely love this book! It has become a genuine staple in our home and read repeatedly.😊
Ashley Frickson
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: multicultural
This book is about some of the surprises that come along with raising children. Fun book for children and parents!
Molly
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
So fun!
Mikhaela
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
My toddler's favorite book. Used to be his sister's favorite, too.
Pamela Powell
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Beautifully illustrated day in the life of a very active baby.
Kelly Grimes
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
1. Personal reaction- I really enjoyed this book because it is a very simple and direct beginning to read book. I really enjoyed the book especially because of the illustrations. The illustrations cover the pages, taking me through the adventures of the baby. I also enjoyed this book because the vocabulary throughout the book is so simple that it lets the readers know right from the beginning some of the little troubles babies get into everyday, including drawing all over the place, being messy ...more
Robin Rockman
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I love, love, love the pictures. The illustrations are so spot on and adorable.
Don Tucker
Jun 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shel
Sep 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Lee, S., & Lee, T.L. (2002). Please, Baby, Please. New York: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.

As with No David and Love You When You Whine, Please, Baby, Please shares a parents' frustration of trying to get a child to behave. As can be discerned by the title, Please, Baby, Please is a rather polite version of asking a child to eat their veggies, go to sleep, not draw on the wall, etc. set within a one-day period. This book does include the child's voice as well at the
Kris Brown
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Please, Baby, Please is a children’s picturebook written by Spike Lee and Tonya Lewis Lee. Kadir Nelson is the illustrator. This board book is intended to be read by the Nursery age group. No awards were issued. I rated this book as a five.

Please, Baby, Please is about an African American toddler, who keeps her mother busy throughout the day. The plot is simple and focuses on the two characters, the toddler and the mother. The setting moves around throughout the day as the toddler goes from brea
Tiffany
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-books
Genre: PB5

I think this is a brilliant story!!! The story is so real that I can feel the moms frustrated "please" coming out of her mouth!! I enjoyed the great illustrations that went along with the story and helped bring the story to life. Each page of the story has a clock on it with the time of day shown and I feel that is a great way to put into perspective the moments in the life of a parent and a child. I relate well to the clock on each page; as a parent we are always looking for more time
Julie
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
In "Please, Baby, Please", we find a rambunctious baby engaging in the everyday mischief of a growing child. From the head full of Cheerios to the mouthful of sand to the baby’s insistence on making a used diaper part of the toy collection, the book does a great job of showing the curiosity and exploration of a child in their daily activities. The details in the illustrations vividly reflect the range of emotions and mischief that is being conveyed by the parent’s tired narrative voice. However, ...more
  • Lola at the Library
  • Dancing in the Wings
  • A Kiss Means I Love You
  • The Three Bears
  • Spots, Feathers, and Curly Tails
Shelton Jackson Lee, better known as Spike Lee, is an Emmy Award - winning, and Academy Award - nominated American film director, producer, writer, and actor noted for his films dealing with controversial social and political issues. He also teaches film at New York University and Columbia University. His production company, 40 Acres & A Mule Filmworks, has produced over 35 films since 1983.
More about Spike Lee