Start by marking “Killing Gravity (The Voidwitch Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Killing Gravity (The Voidwitch Saga, #1)

Killing Gravity

(Voidwitch Saga #1)

Mariam Xi can kill you with her mind. She escaped the MEPHISTO lab where she was raised as a psychic supersoldier, which left her with terrifying capabilities, a fierce sense of independence, a deficit of trust and an experimental pet named Seven. She’s spent her life on the run, but the boogeymen from her past are catching up with her. An encounter with a bounty hunter ha ...more
Published May 9th 2017 by Tor.com

Manuel Antão
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Witchcrafty-Cyperpunky SF: “Killing Gravity” by Corey J. White

I am not sure which word I hate more, "badass", or "Kickass". Both, and often the situations where they are used, make me feel like we are celebrating being aggressive and mean rather than being strong.  Why is being successful always equated with winning over others? Why do people encourage someone with "go kick some ass'. Speaking for myself, I would love to make a success
Lindsay
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fast and action-paced space opera with a woman who is powerful living weapon on the run from the people who created her.

Mariam Xi ("Mars") has miscalculated and left herself in a vulnerable position after a run-in with a bounty hunter. When she's picked up by a small spaceship crew who befriend her it's the first in a series of events where she learns more about her past and confronts the people who are pursuing her and would use her for their own ends.

This is a tight story that gives the bare
Crazy4Books
Ive been craving space books lately so I was excited when I received a review copy of this. I was hopeful this would satisfy my craving but I didnt expect to love it as much as I did. The main character and her telekinisis abilities were compelling. I loved the relationships she formed and her experimental cat was just the best thing ever. I need one thats trained that well and sits on my shoulder ready to claw someone face off if they piss me off.

The main character is bisexual but no attention
Veronique
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, stars-4-0
Another great novella!

Very quickly, the narration pulls you in through the eyes of Mariam Xi, or Mars. The action starts with her being rescued from the wreck of a spaceship, but all is not as it seems. White succeeds in creating a colourful and complex setting in a few sentences, never weighing us down with extraneous descriptions, and through the microcosm of the story, we are given glimpses of something huge and fascinating. This universe is peopled with a myriad of different beings, from ali
William
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great fun, good world-building, fast pace. If anything, it's too short. Lots of action and events, but lots of elapsed-time is skipped over, when there could be character building. "Lots of meat, but not enough bones" perhaps?

Unusually, in this case, I enjoyed the mixing of "super powers" with the science fiction, though... And Mars is a fun and interesting character, if a bit blood-thirsty.

I very much liked this quote:
Ring One is where my people live. Well, not my people, but the closest thing
Cathy (cathepsut)
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2018
I was underwhelmed. The world building and character development both left a lot to be desired for me. Not enough background. The plot felt sketchy, as if I had been hitting the fast forward button on my remote a few times too many.

The magic (well, for lack of a better explanation of the author) aka telekinesis (maybe?) was interesting and different. However, almost no explanations of the dynamics of it. And our MC just flung it around with so little effort and lack of reflection or emotional in
Thomas Wagner
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Mariam Xi is a voidwitch, transformed into an experimental posthuman weapon with telekinetic powers so strong, she can crush spaceships like so much wadded up tissue and hurl asteroids at any foe who hasn’t the good sense to get out of her way. All this transforming was done by an evil militaristic lab with the awesomely unsubtle name of MEPHISTO, and I must say, there’s something rather comforting about the idea of a universe where villains just openly give themselves villainous names due to a ...more
Justine
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read, novella
This action-packed SF novella has lots of great things in it: a badass female protagonist with unresolved anger issues; a cute but stalwart furry pet with tiny claws; a loyal ship AI with enough independence that there's the chance they might go rogue; the usual assortment of "characters" including an overt non-binary. As a bonus, there is also, as my friend Lindsay calls it, telekinetic people-smooshing. Good stuff.
Claudia
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Feminine version of Rambo / Terminator / John McClane in space – that pretty much summarize it all.

Mariam Xi (Mars) is an experiment, an ultimate weapon, a soldier with immensely powerful telekinetic powers – too powerful for my suspension of disbelief. There are lots of fight, lots of killings, lots of gore and blood spilled all over.

“We clamber around the hull fast, or as fast as one can in zero gravity.

I sweep my hand across, and they tumble sideways, spinning. The shocktroopers are all tethe
MrsJoseph
I'm not 100% how I feel about this book. There are plot holes a mile wide. There are plot strings started but never connected. It certainly is a story that starts in medias res but the author doesn't fully fill in the missing detail...and I truly wish the editors had forced the author to get rid of the name "MEPHISTO." Because really??

In a sense, it's quite a mess. The book needs another 50-100 pages to really get fleshed out...and some serious character work to make me care about the characters
Helen
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun romp through space with all manner of alien, enhanced persons and one of the cutest sidekicks ever!
Nikki
Received to review via Netgalley; publication date was 9th May 2017

Basically: take River Tam, give her telekinesis, take away Simon Tam and the crew of Serenity, and send her off on her own. More or less. That’s what the main character, Mars, is like, except maybe a bit more mentally stable. Mostly.

I found this a lot of fun, and I’ll definitely read more in the same world. I’m a little disappointed about where it cut off, because I really wanted to see a particular character home safe — but at l
Lucille
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Frankly I don't see any reason yet to not give this one a 5/5, I might change my rating after finishing writing my review!
Edit: nah I'm giving this 5/5, it was too good
__________________________________
I loved this novella so much I can’t find the words, so this will be short, but know that I had the greatest time while reading it. I mean, it is set in space and the protagonist has killer powers linked to gravity!

Out of the 106 pages (on my ereader) of this novella, I bookmarked 24 of them. Whil
Megan Baxter
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Killing Gravity is another relatively short book I got from the Tor.com newsletter a few months ago. It came together with Witches of Lychford, and I was happy to read both. Of the two, I think I prefer this one, but neither is bad. I found Witches a little lacking, but not in any drastic ways. And Killing Gravity is quite a solid science fiction novel, if a bit on the shorter side.

Note: The rest of this review has been withheld due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can rea
Sana
So good with such amazing world-building (space-building?)! Definitely didn't read like a novella to me, more like a full-fledged book because of how detailed it is. The characters are quite well-developed and the plot is great. Loved all the sci-fi elements favorite definitely being Seven and her cool little trick, the brutality of it all and the revenge plot. Can't wait to read more adventures of this mini crew in the next book!
Peter Tillman
Well, this one has moments, but it's pretty generic. The Voidwitch superpower is a bit novel. And I like the little space-kitty. Otherwise, it's yard goods and likely to be a DNF, at halfway in. Darn it. Let's see what else is in the light-SF TBR pile....
Gerhard
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Okay, it’s official. This novella, which packs more incident and chutzpah into its slim length than some novels, made me swoon. The (casually) bisexual main protagonist, her alien cat-like pet creature, and the fact we have a spaceship called the Nova is homage to the grand precursor of cyberpunk, the Samuel R. Delany novel. Easily read in a single sitting, Corey J. White’s writing pops with a frisson of violence, hard tech, and some WTF Voidwitchery. That we end the novella no wiser as to the t ...more
Mel
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I really appreciate novella-length sci-fi and fantasy because I don't always want to pick up a book with hundreds and hundreds of pages, but I find it even more important that the story fits the format and Killing Gravity should have been a full-length novel, maybe even a long-ish one.

The premise, the setting, the characters...they all have so much potential, but none of these are fully developed and remain rather superficial. I was the most disappointed in the lack of character depth. Neither t
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Well... I'm impressed. Thoroughly impressed. Killing Gravity is a sci-fi novella that delivers everything it promises, and then more. A fantastically-written, sense-ensnaring look into a future that feels gritty and real. I'm honestly shocked that this is his debut novel. It's polished, surprising, avoids feeling like a cliche at any point, and beautiful to read (heads popping and all).

The main character, Mars, reminds me strongly of River Tam from Firefly. Head beyond screwed with, susceptible
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
This was a fun-action packed novella with interesting world building and a strong female lead. A good read, but a bit forgettable. I tend to have a complicated relationship with SFF short fiction so other readers may enjoy this one more than I did.
Beige
3.5 starship-crushing stars

A perfect fit for the "Bad Ass Female" theme in the......

Steve
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, rounded up.

I love hard sci-fi, but this novella requires suspending a TON of belief to get through. It will be interesting to see where it goes, providing the series continues.
Mili
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-the-book
Lukasz
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: space-opera, sci-fi
Actual rating: 2.5

Mariam “Mars” Xi is a telekinetic space-witch capable of crushing a ship with a flick of her fingers. She was left to die in the void but a crew of a spaceship rescues her. Mariam wants a revenge and rematch. She finds out that she was betrayed by a woman she used to consider as her sister. Mephisto, the company that Mariam escaped from and that made her who she is, wants to get her back. In order to do so, they target the Nova crew.

The story is short and quick to read. You ca
Alan Baxter
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an outstanding SF novella. It’s tight, visceral, packed with brutal action and manages to capture both a cyberpunk intimacy and a space opera sensibility. I immediately bought books 2 and 3 the moment I finished. Top stuff.
James Tullos
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Normally I'd link to my video review of this but I haven't made one. Honestly this book is so short that it wouldn't be warranted, the review would probably be less than five minutes long.

This is the story of a woman named Mars. Mars underwent horrific experimentation as a child which gifted her with telekinetic powers. She escaped years before the story starts and is still on the run. And that's all I should tell you because any more would give away huge portions of the plot. This story is shor
Michael Burnam-Fink
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, sci-fi
Raymond Chandler wrote "When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand." Killing Gravity author Corey White must be in some kind of ongoing existential crisis, because this book is Chandler's law padded out to novella length.

Mars Xi is a voidwitch, a telekinetic supersoldier forged by the sinister MEPHISTO arms combine. We meet her in a crippled corvette, life support on critical and waiting for the air to run out, when she's rescued by a freelancer scrap/salvage crew. We b
Fiona
Meriam Xi - voidwitch (maybe not to her face) on the run - leads this novella from Corey J White. Once the product of those determined to either create or enhance psionic abilities (she's not sure), she's been running free - ish - since a dramatic escape left her an unexpectedly free agent. Now, with her freedom, as she puts it: This is stand-up tragedy; this is the free jazz of destruction; this is interpretive death.

I've had a run of great books recently and this stands out even among them. Th
Kdawg91
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
FUN?!?! yes...very fun. However, while this is a rocking space opera that honestly wouldn't be out of place on a network somewhere, I kinda give it a 3.5586 stars.

Really cool characters, cool story, tons of action, but the whole thing feels like its missing something. It seems like this was a bigger story and the author cut big chunks out sort of at random. I understand the novella form and although I am still not a huge fan of reading them (mainly due to my reading speed) I totally get it.

I di
Nthato Morakabi
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastically written sci-fi novella focussed around a strong, independent woman with the telekinetic strength of a heat-seeking plasma missile. Mars is witty, resourceful, and an immediately likable character. Author, Corey J. White thrusts you right into the middle of the action; fast paced, riveting, and chockful of colourful characters ranging from body modifiers to corporal elitists, an expansive variety of planets, and an unrelenting, rich story. Although quick to read, Killing Gravity i ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Bloodline Feud (The Merchant Princes, #1-2)
  • A Matter of Oaths
  • Word Puppets
  • Taste of Marrow (River of Teeth, #2)
  • The Future of Work: Compulsory (The Murderbot Diaries, #0.5)
  • A Red Peace (Starfire, #1)
  • The Only Harmless Great Thing
  • Witches of Lychford (Lychford, #1)
  • Welcome To Orphancorp
  • A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe (The Salvagers, #1)
  • Earthrise (Her Instruments, #1)
  • Out on Blue Six
  • Everything Belongs to the Future
  • The Citadel of Weeping Pearls
  • Prime Meridian
  • The Stories: Five Years of Original Fiction on Tor.com
  • Cold-Forged Flame (Ree Varekai, #1)
  • Standard Hollywood Depravity (Ray Electromatic Mysteries, #1.5)

Voidwitch Saga (3 books)
  • Void Black Shadow (Voidwitch Saga, #2)
  • Static Ruin (The Voidwitch Saga, #3)
“Ring One is where my people live. Well, not my people, but the closest thing I want to find: the freaks, the runaways, the perpetual wanderers, the organized crime, the genehackers, the bodychoppers, the digital-wannabes, the loose, the inebriated, the ones with no common sense, no career and no desire for one, the fed up, fucked up, and flamed out. The whole place is like a dangerous chemical concoction. You never know what might set off a reaction, and the threat of violence hangs in the air thick as the smell.” 1 likes
“The augs turn the products of his sensorium into data and then store it all, building a database for that impossible endgame of full personality upload.” 0 likes