Start by marking “Undercover Thief (The Victoria Institute Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Undercover Thief (The Victoria Institute Book 1)

Undercover Thief

(The Victoria Institute #1)

Fourteen-year-old Pamela Torres is an exceptional girl. After her parents abandoned her at the tender age of nine, she had to be to stay alive. But Pam has come a long way from stealing food from the supermarket and huddling beneath shop windows for shelter. Now, Pam and the band of fellow misfit kids who took her in, are some of the most notorious thieves in Underground ...more
Published August 31st 2015

To ask other readers questions about Undercover Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undercover Thief

Start your review of Undercover Thief (The Victoria Institute Book 1)
Christi M
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, teen-ya
This young adult book was a ton of fun to read. I hated every time I had to put it down. In Undercover Thief, Pam is a pretty experienced thief when her parents who walked out on her six years ago decide to come back and force her to go to a spy school.

Thoughts:
To say I was completely engaged in this story is an understatement. The author apparently really knows how to draw out my emotions as I read through the story, none more so than every time there was anything related to Pam’s parents.
Andria Sedig
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I enjoyed the writing of this story and the description of the book was intriguing. The overall premise of this book isn't bad. What I found frustrating as I was reading was the unrealistic nature of the main character's skills and abilities. This main character is under 15 and has essentially been without a guardian for the last six years as a thief in London but can drive, convince important people to pay attention to her despite only being fifteen years old, speaks a number of languages, and ...more
CR
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We really wanted to love this one but to much of it was just unrealistic. To us it felt like this was a book two instead of a book. We would have loved to see more development in Pam's development and maybe the story starting before it did. We think with some work this one would be a hit!! We love spy books and this one should have been right up our ally. This one was kind of a take it or leave it story.
Monika Krisinski
Best young adult spy book ever!

Thank heavens, finally found a well-written action-filled young adult spy book without all that teenage angsty pseudo-romance. (The last one I tried to read had a 17 year-old having sex with a 19 year-old, which is statutory rape in most states still). This is exactly what I was looking for; a teenage girl with skills. I can't wait to see what she's up to in the next book.
C. Erani Kole
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
*voluntarily and honestly reviewed the ARC I received from NetGalley*

This would be a 2-star rating if not for the fact that I adore Pam's chosen family, her friends, and love the interaction she had with her schoolmates. That aside, I hated how the author portrayed her parents in the first half of the book. If they were horrid parents who should never have been blessed with Pam, I could understand it. But they're redeemed and are actually good parents, which begs the question: why weren't they
Elke
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you so much NetGalley, Glass Slipper Publications and H.T. King for this arc in exchange for an honest review! All thoughts expressed in this review are solely my own.

Let me start with this; I was incredibly interested in the book because of the synopsis and that is why I didn't see that they classify this book as a Middle Grade AND Teens/YA book. That is just not an option, not to me at least. There is a big difference in readers that read middle grade or teens/YA and you can't just go
April
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pamela Torres is a thief. She turned to stealing as a way to survive when she is left alone as a 9 year old. At 14, her parents return. Through an interesting course of events, Pam ends up at the Victoria Institute, a spy school.
Pam has a crazy number of abilities that the normal teen does not. She has a hard time with her parents’ return. She acts up at school and spends many evenings in detention. She makes fast friends in Ronnie and Gwen.
In the end her skills help her to save the day.
This
Ami Michelle
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I am a huge fan of this genre and this didn't disappoint! It was a story full of emotion, friendship, regret, anger, forgiveness and crime! It was very well written and I couldn't help but fall in love with the character, Pam. I felt complete empathy all the way through for her, even when she was been stubborn and awkward.

I hope there will be another installment to Pam's journey. 5 star read!
Becky
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this YA novel! It feels like a cross between Ally Carter’s Gallagher Girls (spy) series and her Heist Society (thief) series. It looks like there are at least 3 books in this series and I’m excited to read more!
Kids.profile

• Micah McKinney and the Boys of Summer
  • A Constellation of Roses
  • Ten Things My Cat Hates About You
  • Thanksgiving Rules
  • Just Watch Me (Riley Wolfe #1)
  • Snow Creek (Detective Megan Carpenter, #1)
  • The Angel of Grey Garden
  • ROGUE: (A short story set in the Upgrade series universe)
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3)
  • Dyno Dinosaur Family Christmas Adventures
  • The Cottages on Silver Beach (Haven Point, #8)
  • Riverbend Road (Haven Point, #4)
  • Season of Wonder (Haven Point, #9)
  • Strike the Match (The Teacup Novellas, #2)
  • Nightbooks
  • The Curse of Tenth Grave (Charley Davidson, #10)
  • Witch Wars

The Victoria Institute (3 books)
  • Thief Underground (The Victoria Institute Book 2)
  • Thief Under Fire (The Victoria Institute Book 3)