Start by marking “The Crown Spire - A Georgian Romance” as Want to Read:
The Crown Spire - A Georgian Romance

The Crown Spire - A Georgian Romance

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  57 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Scotland, 1795

When the coach carrying Alice Ingram and her niece, Beth, to Edinburgh is attacked, they're grateful for the intervention of two mysterious highwaymen who ride to their rescue. Beth is thrilled by the romance of it all, but Alice, fleeing her brutish husband, has had more than enough drama in her life.

As the women find sanctuary in a tavern on the Great Nort
Kindle Edition
Published November 16th 2016 by Endeavour Press

To ask other readers questions about The Crown Spire - A Georgian Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crown Spire - A Georgian Romance

Sophia
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Georgian romp told in the old-style of historical romance was just the thing when I wanted to dive into the past with something light. Highwaymen, Heroines with Secrets, Bustling Inns, and Heroes who are more than they seem all made for an entertaining story.

Alice and her niece Beth are fleeing a bad situation and as their journey nears its end they are accosted by ruffians who would take their goods, but also their virtue. Just when things are dire, the ladies are rescued by a pair of highway
Frankie Reviews
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have to say that my favorite has to be Ed, he is a proper rogue whether that be as himself the Landlord of the “Rum Duchess” or as the cheeky highway man. He is so sure of himself that he does border the line of arrogance but he doesn’t care, his joyful and exuberant persona is catching and you can feel your self just smiling as he charms his way around Edinburgh. But he is a loyal and good-hearted man, the chemistry between him and Beth is electric after just one meeting te=hey can’t keep the ...more
Yvonne
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Georgian adventure and romance abound in this collaboration from Catherine Curzon and Willow Winsham. Just the tonic to raise those flagging spirits!

This is definitely a character driven novel. They, and their alter egos, bounced into my heart from the start.

Fun loving Beth doesn’t behave as one would expect a young lady of her breeding and education to do so. She is without guile and while not my favourite character, I couldn’t help but like her.

Ed is a roguish character with all the traits one
Gerry
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great start to my annual reading, loved this book so much full of wit, romance , escapism & beautifully written.
Kerry
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I must begin this review with the statement that I do not normally read romance novels. I gave up on them ages ago as unrealistic and not anything to fawn over as so many do. So then your next question, and rightfully so, must be: so why did you read this book? Well, I did so at the recommendation of a dear friend and due in no small part because it's also within a category that I do read quite frequently: historical fiction. I trust my friend not to toss me onto some sentimental journey and wit ...more
Brenda
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Publisher's Description:

Scotland, 1795

When the coach carrying Alice Ingram and her niece, Beth, to Edinburgh is attacked, they’re grateful for the intervention of two mysterious highwaymen who ride to their rescue.

As the women find sanctuary in a tavern on the Great North Road, Beth is thrilled to meet Edward Hogan, the roguish publican.

Despite the difference in ages and
Terry Tyler
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by me as a member of Rosie Amber's Review Team

Historical romance, moi? Not usually, but I've read non-fiction by both Catherine Curzon and Willow Winsham, so was sure this would be beautifully written and well-researched, and indeed it is!

Alice and her daughter Beth are fleeing from Alice's brute of a husband in London, and travelling to Edinburgh, where they are accosted by highwaymen. Just before all is lost, though, two dashing masked riders swoop in to save them. The excitable and f
Elizabeth Lloyd
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Do you yearn for the world of dashing highwaymen and spirited women in glamorous 18th century dresses? Then be careful what you wish for. This is also a world in which only men have power and marriage can be a trap.

In The Crown Spire we become acquainted with Alice Ingram married for 20 years to an abusive, unpleasant man and her young niece, Beth, who is completely unaware of her aunt’s unhappiness. Fleeing along the Great North Road, they are suddenly in dire danger until two masked men save
Janet
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Alice Ingram flees from London with her niece Beth to stay with her disagreeable sister in Edinburgh they are nearing their journey’s end when they are attacked by highwaymen & their coachman is killed. Beth is taken by one of the highwayman only to be rescued from rape by a masked man. Another masked man rescues Alice who has sprained her ankle. The Bishop Gilles of Edinburgh arrives & takes the ladies to the nearest inn, which is owned by Edward Hogan.

Devoted to his daughter and resign
Pelusa Rivera
Dec 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Received an ARC for honest review with netgalley. Story about abused woman, Alice who is fleeing her abusive husband, along with her niece, because she doesn't want that life for her. On her way her coach is attacked, but her and her niece are saved by masked men. They are taken to an inn for shelter, and their as they know are changed. Her niece should really needed someone to keep a closer eye on her, she was wayward for that time period, she did young ladies did not do. Other characters in st ...more
Susan
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
1795 and the coach containing the haughty Alice Ingram and her petulant and spoilt niece Elizabeth is just south of Edinburgh is attacked by highwaymen. Thankfully for them there are saved and brought to accommodation in a nearby Inn. Where their lives are once again changed.
An enjoyable tale but didn't really care for the niece much or her antics but that was part of the story.
A NetGalley Book
Jacey
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
The coach carrying Alice Ingram and her niece, Beth, along the Great North Road is attacked and the ladies are rescued by a pair of dashing highwaymen and deposited in a wayside inn where Beth meets and falls for Ed, the landlord and Alice has her sprained ankle attended by a somewhat austere doctor. This is a story of double identity, of Alice’s flight from a brutish husband and Beth’s attempts to avoid marrying one. It’s also a double romance, for neither the innkeeper not the doctor are quite ...more
Diane Lewis
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alice flees an abusive husband, dragging her niece with her to Scotland. Highwaymen attack their carriage, though treat them kindly. Beth, the niece, is thrilled by the excitement. At the tavern where they stay she meets the dashing landlord, Ed Hogan. Alice, who had injured her ankle, is treated by the local doctor, a dour man whom she dislikes. But no one is as they seem to be.
I enjoyed this fast-paced novel set in the late eighteenth century. Beth is too wild, and free-roaming for a well-bred
Alison
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This book had engaging characters, but was let down by the implausible plot and frankly gothic moment when the dastardly husband and duke appear.

Like other readers, I particularly enjoyed the characters of Ed and Richard.
Sharonb
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars.
Really enjoyed, particularly Alice and James' story. Two people who had lost themselves due to their experiences but in each other were able to be themselves again.
Georgia Rose
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an utterly joyful read The Crown Spire was! Set in 1795 Alice Ingram and her niece Beth are on the road to Edinburgh when they are set upon by bandits. Out to steal their honour rather than their jewels the situation looks desperate indeed for the hapless travellers. However just when it appears all is lost in ride two mysterious highwaymen to the rescue. Or I should say one rides in while the other drops out of a tree, what an entrance!

Taking shelter at an inn for the night Beth is soon en
Sherwood Smith
From the description of one of the authors as an expert in the period, I confess I'd been hoping to immerse in period detail and interesting characterization.

Instead, what I got was a generic romance whose language and tone is mostly modern, with a few period words thrown in. The plot and characterizations are also generic, right down to the constantly twinkling eyes meant to signal the heroes, and "somethings" that cross faces instead of actual characterization.

The niece's behavior is unbeliev
Lorraine Benn
Jan 05, 2017
Sally Stones
Jan 13, 2017
June H Debney
rated it did not like it
Feb 08, 2017
Cory
Jan 10, 2017
Charmian
Apr 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Never read such awful juvenile rubbish in a historical novel before. The characters are so modern minded and talk modern drivel they may as well be carrying a smartphone each and texting to their hearts content. And the highwaymen would have been more convincing as Harley Davidson bikers. Yes. It's that bad.
Julius Jr
Feb 06, 2017
Catherine Curzon is an author and royal historian of the 18th century.

She has written extensively for publications including HistoryExtra.com, the official website of BBC History Magazine, Your Family History, Real Crime, Explore History, All About History, History of Royals and Jane Austen’s Regency World. Catherine has given solo talks at venues and events including the Stamford Georgian Festiva
More about Catherine Curzon