Jump to ratings and reviews
Stepping up...
Hockey captain Parker Gagner is straight. Isn’t he? He’s always thought so, but there's something so compelling about Eli Martin's pleading eyes that it makes him step into an argument between Eli and Eli's asshole ex-boyfriend without thinking. Pretending to be Eli's new man is only supposed to be a protective gesture, until spending time together becomes more important than pissing off Eli's ex.

Holding back...
Eli isn’t sure what to do about his growing attraction to Parker. They’re doing a lot of fake dating, and he can’t help wanting more. Making a move is out of the question, though, unless he wants to risk destroying their friendship.

Crossing lines...
An unexpected late-night encounter leaves both men conflicted and avoiding each other. Can they find a way to talk about their feelings before it’s too late, or have they ruined their chance to really be together?

Junior Jolt is a 23000 word standalone novella with a happy ending, no cheating, and no cliffhangers.

87 pages, Kindle Edition

First published November 21, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Elaine Ashford

22 books56 followers
Elaine Ashford has worked in customer service, graphic design, property management, and banking. When she's not writing, she can be found pursuing her interest in athletic young men and long walks on the beach.

All of Elaine’s books are free with KindleUnlimited.

She loves hearing from readers! She can be reached via:

Email: elaine@elaineashford.com
Website: http://elaineashford.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Elaine-Ashfor...

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
8 (5%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 34 reviews
Profile Image for Makhda.
867 reviews137 followers
November 27, 2016
Fake boyfriend, psycho bitch of an ex, longtime crush, bisexual, friends to lovers, hey..you get the gist. I think I read this somewhere before. But somehow there's something in the writing that drew me in. I have a soft spot for a gentle giant who got a protective streak in him. I liked how Parker so smitten with Eli. I'm glad it's still f*cking works with me.

Profile Image for Jay.
240 reviews43 followers
January 22, 2017
4 stars – I’m normally not a big fan of short novellas, though I have had some good luck with them recently, so when Junior Jolt, by Elaine Ashford, showed up in a weekly mailing for on-sale new releases a few weeks back, I picked it up. I may not usually go for books this short, but I am a sucker for M/M romances with a hockey player.

Parker Gagner is the captain of Toronto University’s hockey team and has always identified as straight, but he just can’t keep his eyes off one of the college’s gay swimmers, Eli Martin. After Parker rescues Eli from an altercation with his ex-boyfriend by saying “I’m his boyfriend” without thinking, the two begin a fake relationship but never lay down any rules for how it’s supposed to work.

My biggest problems with novellas, especially short ones like this, is that authors tend either to rush the storyline along or to try to fit too complex of a story into such a short space. Neither is the case with Junior Jolt. The story here is clean and simple: two men pretending to date while keeping the real feelings for each other hidden. It’s as good a slow burn as can be had in something this length. There’s nothing fabricated to keep them apart and no outside drama deterring the natural progression of the story. Even though the writing is nothing spectacular, it is also not a hindrance to the story. The end result is a sweet and cozy quick-read that made me feel good. Sometimes, that’s exactly what I want.

This is the third book of its series, but it read fine as a standalone. Two other couples are introduced, both of whom I can assume must be the main characters of the previous two books. As much as I liked this one, I’ll be going back to read the others the next time I’m in the mood for something quick, uncomplicated, and sweet.

Follow Me: Reviews by Tammy & Kim | Facebook | Twitter
Profile Image for Cadiva.
3,228 reviews291 followers
November 30, 2016
Missed the first two in this series somehow so will go back to them.

Nothing new in this one, guy who finds h I myself falling for a guy, a crazy ex, a fake boyfriend plot, doubts about the true feelings etc, but in spite of that, it's actually a sweet little read with a couple of cute guys.

I'm guessing they're early 20s so it's a little bit juvenile at times but there's a couple of smexy times which are passionate and a HFN which makes sense.
Profile Image for Justin.
601 reviews145 followers
December 27, 2016

I was really enjoying this story until the 76% mark. Then it just went to hell because of contrived angst that drug on much longer than necessary because of the flimsiest of excuses. I'd rather read an uneventful romance than one with a miscommunication plot device that makes no sense at all.

Disappointed!
Profile Image for Anne Bollmann (Annelise Lestrange).
623 reviews72 followers
November 26, 2016
Review originally posted on The Book Adventures of Annelise Lestrange :)

I received this copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. Let's go :D

The Story

Parker Gagner is one of those guys who knows exactly what he wants and where he’s going. As the captain of the college’s Hockey team, Parker knows his priorities and lives by the code of honor inside and out of the ice rings. That’s why he steps up in the middle of Eli’s fight with his ex-lover and promptly sends the guy off by telling him that Parker and Eli are together. Not because Parker can’t stop thinking about Eli those last weeks and how good a kisser he might be. Nope, definitely not – after all, Parker is straight… Isn’t he?

Eli Martin still doesn’t understand what’s happening on his life. Since Parker meddled on his fight with his ex, the Hockey captain came in crashing Eli’s world. How can it be so easy to pretend to date a man with so many responsibilities and so incredibly popular with pretty much everyone? And how can a fake boyfriend put up such an effort to make Eli feel cherished when none of his real previous dates did so?

On one thing, Parker and Eli can agree on: their lives won’t ever be the same.

The Analysis
Just remembering that those were my impressions and opinion as a reader :)

THIS WAS EVERYTHING I’VE BEEN HOPING FOR ON AN ELAINE ASHFORD’S BOOK AND MORE! #discretion #youwontfindhere This book was really short, with only 23k words, but I made a point of taking my time reading it, to savor all the cuteness, the romance and the really funny quotes. It was exactly what my heart called for and it would have made to the big five stars if Elaine hadn’t used the oh-so-famous-line “I released a breath that I didn’t even realize I was holding” not once, but twice (with slightly different wording, but still sounding too similar to the deal-breaker for my tastes). All in all, four beautiful stars <3

The narrative was first person styled, with switching points of views between Parker and Eli. If you have been around for a review or two and, as I’m really discreet about my tastes, it just may ring you a bell when I say I first person isn’t my usual go-to kind of narrative – you know, it leaves too much space for hate for the characters on my head, haha! Junior Jolt was another delicious exception for this concept of mine and I loved getting inside Parker and Eli’s heads. I admit, Eli and I had our tough moments, as the guy screws up a little on some part during the story I’m so precise, I know, but nothing too serious for me to roll up my eyes and hate him <3 Also, the fact that this is a short book helped as well. I would have loved to see more of Eli and Parker’s world, but the story had the perfect size, truly.

I have to say that I fell in love with the lightness and cuteness that flows through Ashford’s writing style. She managed to build real, strong and funny characters without needing many pages and deep intense thoughts on their parts – come on, that’s just fabulous. And I didn’t even get to tell you yet about all the pop culture references inside the book!!

The plot was simple and fluffy, with all the cuteness my heart had been craving from my latest gay reads. Don’t get me wrong, I love deep and complex stories (I actually have an offline friend that likes to say I “breathe complexity to live”, haha!), but sometimes I miss the harmony between sad/tense/intense/rough moments with fluffy/cute/funny/light moments. After all, isn’t this what makes a real relationship? Ups and downs? A rollercoaster that never allows you to get down and vomit in peace? #what #gross

Sorry, that metaphor didn’t quite go as expected, haha! My point is, despite the lack of real depth in Junior Jolt, I do prefer reading them to the completely dramatic ones. Offline life itself is already full of drama, so I don’t feel like absorbing a hit to my guts that was meant for someone fictional that I really care about. I need to stay strong for my friends, for my family, but books are supposed to be strong for me. Otherwise, how am I going to keep sane?

However, of course, I stray from my original path. Nothing new, but I’m sorry nevertheless! Let’s discuss our characters, right? :) As this is the third book of the series, despite the tranquility of reading it as a standalone, I don’t feel safe to say much about sidekicks, sorry! This time, exceptionally, I’ll just talk about the main couple.

Parker is your dream gentleman hidden beneath his hockey player captain status. He always puts his friends and the people he cares about before himself and go really out of his way to make them happy. I loved how he protected and wooed Eli without Eli even realizing it all before it was too late, haha! I really loved that Ashford was able to build such a male and gentle guy at the same time, burling the stereotypes like a boss <3

Regardless of my feelings for Eli’s life decisions or panics, he was also very well constructed. He was funny and charismatic without pulling the effort and charmed his way into any social group, which is mildly fantastic! Especially if you, like me, prefer to walk always with the same people, haha! (Don’t get me wrong, I swear I have plenty of friends, but my coolest parties are always with the same girls, oops! I’d totally include Eli on my parties from now on, tho!)

Also, I feel like is my duty to inform this book has steamy hot scenes and it’s not for those faint of heart. Parker and Eli go good at each other and I really like their chemistry pretty much all the time, haha!

Now, how about some quotes? Of course we have cool quotes! How else would I woo you guys into fangirling about it with me?? =O Here we go!!

“I’m a fucking catch, thank you very much. Except I remember that Parker just insinuated he’s my boyfriend, and wait, what?” – Eli’s thoughts

~*~
“It takes a little while for my brain to get back online, distracted by Parker’s…everything.” – Eli’s thoughts

“I’m full of excellent decisions, what can I say?” – Eli’s thoughts

~*~
“Opening the door, I motion for him [Eli] to go in first. He fake curtsies, and I laugh. Just force of habit, I guess – I open the doors for everyone, male or female.” – Parker’s thoughts

~*~
“You just said you needed a diagram to fully explain it. That sounds pretty complicated, Parker.” – Eli

~*~
“I still don’t know what I’m doing, but a little bravery never hurt anyone, right?” – Parker’s thoughts

~*~
To wrap things up: if you are a gay romance lover, a fake relationships lover, a fluffly books lover and you’re ready for that quick and delicious read to relax you all over, you MUST read Junior Jolt <3

Thank you for reaching the bottom of this review! It always means a lot to me to know you came all the way down <3 Also, thanks so much again to Elaine Ashford and to her team for selecting me for this ARC, I was made a very happy and satisfied girl!
Profile Image for Elysian Fields.
1,975 reviews32 followers
November 22, 2016
It Feels Good, Satisfying…Everything is Right.
This is the third story in the Straight College Guys series (the others being Freshman Feint and Sophomore Secrets). This story was a standalone but if you have read and enjoyed the others there are familiar characters. This story takes place in the same world and time. I loved this book because it deals with a pretty familiar story line (straight guy finds friend attractive and tries to come to terms with his feelings and identity) but in a favorable way. The reason that this is a great book is that the characters are vivid and caring and they develop in a positive and mature light.
Parker is the captain of his college hockey team and has always identified as straight. He finds himself wanting more out of a relationship, one that is solid and long term. He finds himself lusting after a male friend and needs to deal with these new feelings and decide if what he feels is real and lasting or if it is just a momentary thing. He is a strong man who cares about others and does not take bigotry (from others) lightly. He protects his friends and has a great sense of himself; he trusts his instincts. Eli is an art student who is also on the swim team and he has recently developed a friendship with Parker and has found that he finds him attractive. He understands that nothing can happen between them because Parker is straight. Eli has an ex-boyfriend that is not such a great guy and finds that he needs a little saving at a party; this is where Parker steps in. The story and their relationship developed from there.
I loved that throughout the story even through Parker identifies as straight he does not back down or condemn his feelings for Eli. He is confused and tries to deal with these developments in a positive way that proves the type of man that he really is. I liked that the author treated the characters with respect and that leads the reader to really enjoy the story and the romance. There were many great lines in the story and any reader will love this book. There were 12 chapters, and it is written with dual narration. The story begins with a “sneak peak” and takes off from there. I highly recommend this (and the others in the series). I received an ARC and am leaving a voluntary review.
Profile Image for Georgiana.
682 reviews10 followers
February 8, 2023
***4.5 Stars*** “I've got you,” --Parker
Parker and Eli are both just typical college guys. Parker is captain of the hockey team and Eli is on the swim team.

Parker notices Eli leaving a local party they are both attending and decides to follow him. When he catches up with Eli he notice him arguing with another guy.

Mark is Eli's ex boyfriend and isn't happy about the break-up. He grabs Eli's arm to take him somewhere else to talk. Not liking the direction the argument looks to be going Parker steps in and protects Eli. Mark is upset,

“Who the f*** are you?” Mark asks again. “His boyfriend? You don't get to speak for him. Now get the f*** out of here.”

“Boyfriend. Yep, you’re looking at him.” Parker crosses his arms. “Is there a problem?”

From here Parker and Eli start a “fake relationship.”

“You could always come see us play again,” I blurt out without thinking. “We have a home game next Saturday. Not to toot my own horn, but I know the captain, I can score you some pretty great seats.”

Its obvious Parker is attracted to Eli and vise versa, and over time they fall for each other. Only Parker keeps reminding Eli,

“I told you, I'm an excellent fake boyfriend.”

Eli loves the way he feels with Parker so neither want to ruin the “fake relationship” by talking about whats really going on.

The two end up hitting a minor speed bump. Not wanting to get hurt more since he's fallen for Parker, Eli decides to leave Parker and end the “fake relationship.”

I loved Parker and Eli's story. This is the first book I have read by Elaine Ashford and will defiantly be reading more. For being a short story this was well written. I didn't need to know more of either main character, and the ending came together nicely.

Plot: 4.5
Chemistry: 5
Pacing: 5
Ending: 5
Character Development: 4.5
Heat: 4

I was given a free copy of this book from the author/publisher and have voluntarily read and reviewed giving my honest opinion.
Profile Image for Diane Lynch.
1,653 reviews35 followers
December 1, 2016
Junior Jolt by Elaine Ashford Junior Jolt by Elaine Ashford is a wonderful story about self-discovery and taking a chance on love.  Hockey captain, Parker Gagner, rescues Eli Martin from his ex-boyfriend at a party.  He pretends to be his fake boyfriend while questioning his feelings for him.  This contemporary sports romance is suitable for new adult audiences.

I like Parker.  He is a good team captain.  He is open minded.  He doesn’t tolerate bullying.  He wants more in a relationship. He doesn’t want to settle for casual sex.  He is straight but begins to recognize his reaction to Eli.  Eli is on the swim team and an art major.  He is openly gay.  He values his friendship with Parker.  He is attracted to him, but knows he is straight and just pretending to be his boyfriend.  Elaine Ashford does a great job with her character development.  Both Parker and Eli grow throughout the story.

I enjoyed the plot.  It was believable and well executed.  The hockey scenes were skilfully written.  I like how Eli is accepted by Parker’s team mates and their significant others. The characters have some misunderstanding they need to work through.  At seventy-five pages Junior Jolt is a quick read but full of content.  I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book.
Profile Image for Annery.
924 reviews119 followers
May 6, 2017
This was a quick fun read and even though after a few pages I realized it is the third in a series I had no problem getting into it.

It's one of those wishful thinking books but at this time of year I'm feeling more inclined to look at goodness or at least hope for it. Hope that there are Parker's out there for the Elis of the world.
There is a little nonsense from Eli, wondering if Parker is just being curious in spite of all his outward demonstrations to the contrary but it doesn't go on for long.

Like I said sweet and I may check out the previous books too so … not bad.
Profile Image for Becca.
1,986 reviews17 followers
November 26, 2016
A Fake Romance Turns into More

Parker does t know what comes over him when he steps in between Eli and his ex boyfriend during a fight. And what possesses him to tell the ex that he's Eli's current boyfriend? Well, he has been feeling this attraction towards the artist/swimmer.

Parker is captain of the hockey team and straight...right? Eli is confused as to why Parker would step up and say he's his boyfriend but he's not going to complain. But what happens when Parker doesn't seem to be pretending anymore?

I really liked Parker and Eli and unlike most novellas were everything seems rushed - you get the progression of their relationship - not an insta love.

I really enjoyed this quick, romantic read.
Profile Image for Zaza.
1,512 reviews30 followers
September 10, 2017
☆ 2.5/5 ☆

Je cherchais une lecture courte, mignonne et sans prise de tête, aussi le combi hockey + GFY promis par cette petite nouvelle était parfait pour moi. Une romance mignonne et légère, sans drames, avec de la tendresse et de l'affection, mais aucune psychologie des personnages et une scène de sexe finale nettement trop précipitée à mon goût. En résumé, une lecture version paquet de Haribo, une douceur sucrée mais rien de consistant, une histoire que j'aurai oublié dans quelques heures. ^^
Profile Image for Emily Seelye.
726 reviews25 followers
December 1, 2016
Cute and sweet story about a hockey player just coming to terms with his bisexuality (he admits he's found other guys attractive before, but this is the first time he's acting on his attraction) and his artistic swimmer friend Eli.

There is the requisite drama in the form of miscommunication (which could have been avoided), but it's resolved relatively quickly. It also leads to a happy ending, so I give it a pass.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Valerie.
Author 18 books167 followers
February 19, 2017
Eli and Parker are perfect for each other. While Parker keeps his feelings for Eli hidden, he has to step in with Eli's ex decides to get handsy, and their relationship develops from there. I love this book from beginning to end, and while it's another straight man falling in love with another man, Parker's genuine feelings for Eli from the beginning and you feel that as your get to know both of them. It's a sweet and sexy book that I loved!!
797 reviews2 followers
March 9, 2017
the captain of the hockey team is LGBT friendly by having gay players and making sure they are safe. Yet he keeps being drawn to a new friend and takes on the chance of being his "boyfriend' to explore the feelings he has for the man.
Profile Image for Faye Errington.
215 reviews17 followers
November 23, 2016
I freaking love this series, I mean who doesn't like two sweet sexy guys falling in love ?

Junior Jolt is Parker and Eli's Story ❤️,, a "straight" guy that falls for his gay friend

I read both the previous books Freshman Feint & Sophomore Secrets and loved them so I just knew I was gunna love Parker and Eli's book... and I did

This book can be read as a standalone, the series includes the same couples and group of friends so it's best to read them all as you get everyones story

The series is set around a group of Collage friends (hockey players and swimmers) in each book we have an amazing sweet guy that falls for their straight best friend...
All the books in the series are novella style and all have a happy ending (which is a must in books I read)

My only negative is i wish the books were longer, I wish we got more of these awesome guys

I really hope there is more books to come in this series... and I am hoping that the next book it R's book (Eli's friend)... we get a little tease that he has something going on in his love life, so I really want to know more about him

Another great addition to The Straight Collage Guys ❤️
Profile Image for Devy B .
260 reviews14 followers
September 28, 2021
Reread 09/27/21

I enjoyed almost as much as the first time but I had to remove 1 star because I wanted more of them as a couple and It ends with an HFN and not HEA

I still highly recommend
—————
4 stars
This is amazing. I need more books like that.
Sweet sport romance, usually I don’t like fake boyfriends trope but this one is great. Patrick the straight Mc helped Eli the gay one by pretending to be his bf so his bastard ex will leave him alone. The blurb is misleading because it’s Eli who avoided Parker for a few days while Parker didn’t gave up, he did everything to make him understand what it’s between them is real and he has never pretended.

Things went so smoothly between them, Patrick was very attracted to Eli and used their fake relationship to get close to him and flirt with him shamelessly because he wanted their relationship to be real. It was so cute.
They kinda had sex one night and Eli freaked out and left, he thought Parker would regret what happened between them.
The miscommunication didn’t last that long, almost drama free and no angst.

I highly recommend it
Profile Image for Elsi.
319 reviews
December 1, 2016
I received a free copy of this book from the author in return for an honest review.

This is a Hockey / Art Themed short story from Elaine Ashford. What a great book to lift your spirits and make you feel good! You know one of those books that makes you sigh happily after you have finished it. This was totally what I needed last weekend when I wasn't feeling so well.

The main charchters are Captain of the Hockey team Parker Gagner and Art Student Eli Martin. Parker has always been straight but finds that he is not attracted to the one woman who is after him. Intead he keeps watching Eli and when Eli gets into trouble Parker steps in and offers to be Eli's fake boyfriend. Of course it turns less fake soon but not everything is so simple for the guys. Luckily there is a happy ending <3

Well written feel good book! Couldn't recommend it enough! <3 <3

596 reviews2 followers
December 14, 2016
Parker has known Eli for years since they have mutual friends, lately though he has started to notice how attractive Eli is which is weird since Parker has always been straight. At a party, Eli is accosted by his ex-boyfriend and Parker intervenes, to get the creep to leave Parker states he is Eli’s new boyfriend and convinces Eli to be “fake” boyfriends till the ex leaves Eli alone. The more time they spend together the less either really thinks of the relationship being “fake”, however when things get intimate Eli freaks and runs insisting to himself that it cannot mean anything to Parker…he is straight. Great addition to the “Straight College Guys” series, well written, sexy, emotional, a truly wonderful read!
Profile Image for Lenna  Wright-Berry .
3,051 reviews31 followers
February 4, 2017
Parker, straight man has had plenty of women before and loved it, but when he sees a member of the swim team and an artist Eli, he will feel things he never has felt for another person, woman or man. Parker will be Eli's knight in shining hockey gear when Eli's ex won't leave him alone and become physical, so Parker will step up and become Eli new fake boyfriend. What neither one will expect is the feelings they will have towards the other. But can Eli handle being more for a fake them for the real deal....

Good short story, I haven't read the others in this series but you really don't need to unless you want to experience what Parkers friends and teammates dealt with in theirs, you don't miss anything. Told in both p.o.v. and a HEA.
Profile Image for Elaine.
1,128 reviews3 followers
December 8, 2016
Parker is the captain of his college hockey team.
Eli is on the college swim team.
Parker can't help looking at Eli, even though Parker has always been straight.
But when Eli's ex shows up, Parker says he is boyfriend and things get better.
This book is really sweet.
I didn't get a chance to read the first two, but it is easy enough to follow.
I volunteered to read an advance reader copy of this book.
222 reviews
December 16, 2016
I really liked this book.

Lately, I haven't enjoyed this author's books so much, but I really enjoyed this one. I loved both Parker and Eli. I love how Parker knew what he wanted and went for it, not agonizing over the fact he wasn't "gay." He just went with his feelings, and it made me smile. It was very refreshing compared to the usual drama in most books. Read it twice, it was so cute!!!
Profile Image for Antoinette.
368 reviews1 follower
November 27, 2016
This story is so adorable, I loved it. It was funny and heartwarming and Eli and Parker make a beautiful couple. I loved how although Parker was questioning himself he didn't hesitate in going after what he wanted, Eli. This is my favorite book my this author so far. I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book.
Profile Image for Winks.
530 reviews
July 4, 2019
This was a very cute short read. But it was wonderfully done and the you could not help but love the characters. I loved how things developed between Eli and Parker. Besides who would not want a hockey player.....
68 reviews1 follower
Fantastic as usual

Ashford's stories are always an auto-read for me. This sweet story is as wonderful as expected! Makes me want to go back and read all the guys' stories again.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 34 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.