Start by marking “WARRIOR: a collection of short stories” as Want to Read:
WARRIOR: a collection of short stories

WARRIOR: a collection of short stories

A werewolf fighting for her humanity.
A gladiator fighting for love.
A blind mage, a human sacrifice and a big, buff fairy, all fighting off demons to save the world.

Twelve writers. Twelve worlds. Twelve warriors.

WARRIOR is an anthology of twelve exciting science-fiction and fantasy short stories, bursting with unstoppable characters that
Published April 3rd 2017 by Ink & Locket Press

To ask other readers questions about WARRIOR, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about WARRIOR

Start your review of WARRIOR: a collection of short stories
Rachel (Rustling Reads)
First of all, I completely love the story-by-story trigger warnings listed in the front of the collection. These stories do deal with dark themes, and it creates a sense of trust in the collection as a whole right from the beginning, that it will never present you with anything more than you can handle. I’m going to do a brief-ish review of each story, because they’re all great and I need to tell you why. I’ve included the LGBTQIA+ specifics of character identity where I know them.

Hillary
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This anthology has something for everyone, from urban fantasy (yay, Natalie!) to historical fiction to high fantasy to science fiction. And unusually for an anthology, there wasn't a single story I didn't like. Everything was crisp, polished, and featured at least one LGBT+ character, though sexuality was never the focus of any of the stories. There were also two asexual characters, a genderfluid character (yay again, Natalie!), and a trans character - all from parts of the LGBT+ spectrum that d ...more
Antonica
Nov 27, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Fans of sci-fi/fantasy, thrilling YA adventures and diverse books.
Shelves: editor-s-shelf
(from the editor) We're so excited to share this book with the world!

WARRIOR brings together twelve exciting sci-fi and fantasy stories featuring unstoppable LGBTQIA protagonists. Here, you'll find gladiators, werewolves, legends, human sacrifices and mermaids (of a sort), fighting for love, honour, family, truth and life.

This anthology was successfully funded on Kickstarter in December 2016. Check the Ink & Locket Press website to find out when it's available for general preorder.
Alexa
average rating: 3.8 stars

This is a collection of stories with queer protagonists. In most stories about queer people, I am used to reading romances, so it was nice to read a collection with queer protagonists where many of the stories have no romance at all, and even in the others, it's usually not the focus.

Overall, there weren't any stories that I really hated, but there were several that just didn't really grab my attention. I kind of want to rate this 3 stars but I ad
Mel
Nov 22, 2016 marked it as to-read-anthology
Here's the KICKSTARTER for this cool project of LGBT SFF short stories...

Natalie Cannon
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As one of the authors, I'm biased towards this book from the start. However, this was also the first time I was able to read the other contributors' works.

And I am deeply honored.

From the beginning with Tash McAdam's ring fighter to Helle Reiersen's Daughter of the Night, every story knocked me right out my usual headspace into a new, starry universe of (blood-drenched) possibility. My heart ached and sang and tore. I reveled in each character's triumph. Each author brought their bi
Louise
Warrior is a great little anthology and it suits my tastes perfectly. Within the twelve stories included, it covers a wide variety of SFF sub-genres and tropes and features representation for a good number of LGBTQIA+ identities.

I'm not great at reviewing short story collections so I thought I'd break things down a little. In fantasy, identities are often implied without using terminology (so that e.g. it can be hard to tell if a character is bi- or pansexual) but for my count, we c
Mona
You can't even imagine for how long I wanted to read this book.
I funded the Kickstarter campaign and without really realizing it, I put this book aside, like many others.

This is a SFF anthology featuring heroes who identify within the LGTQIAP+ spectrum and I'm pretty sure most of them are #ownvoices? But I'm really not sure for that...
Before talking about the stories, I really liked that they listed all the trigger warnings for each stories. Unfortunately it isn't done en
Em
Short stories are really not my thing, but I'm glad my Long Distance College Buddies Discuss Queer Books Club chose it. "Howl" and "Things We'll Never Know" were my favorites. "Howl" was lyrical and beautiful and "Things We'll Never Know" was a perfect science fiction commentary on reality without being obvious or boring about it. Some of the representation (especially of ace and ace spectrum characters) felt more like tokenization but all in all, solid.

Book Riot Read Harder 2017 Cha
Katie West
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was a Kickstarter project I backed and I just finished reading it. I loved it. As with any collection, some stories stood out more than others (my favourite was BR Sanders' Things We'll Never Know) but there wasn't one I didn't like. Oh! Best part of this book? Every story features heroes who identify within the LGBTQIA spectrum. I think I underestimated how delightful that would be to read. It also came with trigger warnings for each individual story. It also reminded me that my favou ...more
Estance Moriarty
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Somewhat uneven. I loved some story & found other to be just fine.
Overall a nice read.
Dec 17, 2018

• Sam & Ilsa's Last Hurrah
  • Start Here
  • 镇魂
  • Bangkok Tattoo (Sonchai Jitpleecheep #2)
  • The Mysterious Mr. Quin (Harley Quin, #1)
  • The Bullet Trick
  • Aromantic (love) story, tome 5
  • Three Hands in the Fountain (Marcus Didius Falco, #9)
With Ink & Locket Press for diverse books and Inspired Quill for science-fiction/fantasy.

Editor of WARRIOR, anthology of LGBTQIA short stories.

Editor of Fall from Grace by Matthew Munson.