Start by marking “United Tweets of America: 50 State Birds, Their Stories, Their Glories” as Want to Read:
United Tweets of America: 50 State Birds, Their Stories, Their Glories

United Tweets of America: 50 State Birds, Their Stories, Their Glories

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  153 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
A hilarious tribute to state birds! Welcome to the United Tweets Pageant! This colorful parade of state birds competing to be Top Tweet will have readers of all ages laughing aloud. From Alabama's Yellowhammer to Wyoming's Western Meadowlark, each bird is a winner—and each bird loves to show off the state it calls home. Hudson Talbott has created an inspired introduction t ...more
Published May 1st 2008 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about United Tweets of America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about United Tweets of America

Mischenko
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
United Tweets of America: 50 State Birds, Their Stories, Their Glories, by Hudson Talbott is a children's book of all the 50 state birds and more.

When I picked this up I expected it to encompass all 50 state birds along with information pertaining to them. What a glorious surprise! The book is chock-full of facts about the state birds, state capitals, important people, and state nicknames. Some select states include information about state plants, gems, insects, instruments and even foods! We w
Lisa Vegan
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: kids who like trivia, birds, U.S. history, silly non-fiction books
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
I love reading books such as this for fun. For school it would be less fun, particularly if the reader was expected to memorize the information.

Wonderful map of the U.S. at the beginning. Pretty and easy to read. But Hawaii is way too far to the south. Love the framed portraits of all the birds that will appear in the rest of the book, state by state in alphabetical order.

What I wasn’t expecting: funny, with shtick, that some readers will find amusing, some annoying.

This book has lots of trivia,
Boni
Jul 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Don't judge this book by its cover. I assumed this was a nicely illustrated, non-fiction state-birds book, very informative, but maybe a little bit (shhh!) boring- and boy was I wrong (about the boring part!)

Highly entertaining, funny, filled with interesting facts, seriously interesting facts, about states and their birds and nicknames and all kinds of oddball stuff. Once you open this book, you will not want to put it down. You will want to read every little caption and fact and examine every
Alice
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun book!! I love this! It is done is a fun unuipe way without forcing a lot of boring useless facts that I would only use on a test for 4th Grade! This was a riot! Thanks for the giggle and the googling to verify some of the strange claims and for mockingbird calls..... tweet tweet!
Meliny Pond
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book is an overview of the state birds for the 50 states. All the birds are in a "pageant" to see who the winner is.

I loved this book! It was so funny and so informational! The author and illustrator gave all the state birds different characteristics and made them into their own people.

I would use this book in my classroom when we are talking about the states.
Sara Cranford
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
United Tweets of America may appear at first glance to be just another historical or informational text book for children, but don't let Hudson Talbott fool you. This book is a hilarious read. It begins with our nation's "Big Bird", the bald eagle, hosting the United Tweets of America Pageant. Page after page, Big Bird introduces each contestant. From their home state, to information about each bird, to "cool" historical figures from their state, this book is filled with historical and factual i ...more
Karissa Fankhauser
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This informational text is very much like a reference book. It is basically an encyclopedia of birds, but it is organized in a very unique way: alphabetically by state. So in other words, readers can look up their own state and read all about that state's bird. If you read it start to finish, you'll read about Alabama's Yellowhammer first all the way to Wyoming's Western Meadowlark last. I love this organizational method because it is like nothing I've ever seen before! It really makes me want t ...more
Nicholas Lemen
Dec 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
United Tweets of America is a well done project, full of beautiful illustrations and state trivia, along with plenty of bird-related humor.

The premise is that the all the state birds are coming together for a pageant in the style of Miss America with the bald eagle as the Master of Ceremonies. The various personalities of the birds and their differences provide enough material to keep you interested up to the hilarious dramatic climax, which is closely followed by a warm-hearted conclusion.

It
Elizabeth Woodruff
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
United Tweets of America is an incredible book! It has every state bird, what they do, the state capital, other animals of the states, and more. The author wrote it in such a fun way. They birds are a part of a pageant and they are introducing themselves throughout the book! Very cool!

I loved this book! I wish that I had read such a book when I was little! Not many kids know much about state birds so this would be a GREAT book to use! Even I learned a lot from reading this book:)

I would use this
Paul
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ordered this book from my nephews' school's book club, and I must confess I ordered it more for myself than for them. This book would have been completely within my wheelhouse when I was their age.

The book is full of facts and information on the offical birds of the 50 states (and Washington DC), which would have made this a favorite for me, a burgeoning geography geek.

Although there are a couple of factual issues (like Minnie Pearl being called a singer), Talbott presents the information qu
  • Our White House: Looking In, Looking Out
  • A Seed Is Sleepy
  • How Many Ways Can You Catch a Fly?
  • Abe's Honest Words: The Life of Abraham Lincoln
  • The Scrambled States of America Talent Show
  • What To Do About Alice?: How Alice Roosevelt Broke the Rules, Charmed the World, and Drove Her Father Teddy Crazy!
  • What the World Eats
  • Can We Save the Tiger?
  • Boys of Steel: The Creators of Superman
  • Pale Male:  Citizen Hawk of New York City
  • Life-Size Zoo: From Tiny Rodents to Gigantic Elephants, An Actual Size Animal Encyclopedia
  • She Touched the World: Laura Bridgman, Deaf-Blind Pioneer
  • On Earth
  • Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic
  • I Feel Better with a Frog in My Throat: History's Strangest Cures
  • The Road to Oz: Twists, Turns, Bumps, and Triumphs in the Life of L. Frank Baum
  • Knut: How One Little Polar Bear Captivated The World