Start by marking “InuYasha: Turning Back Time (InuYasha, #1)” as Want to Read:
InuYasha: Turning Back Time (InuYasha, #1)

InuYasha: Turning Back Time

(InuYasha #1)

Transported back to Japan's feudal era, high school student Kagome accidentally releases the feral half-demon dog boy Inu-Yasha from his imprisonment for stealing the Jewel of Four Souls.
192 pages
Published April 2nd 2003 by VIZ Media LLC (first published April 18th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about InuYasha, please sign up.
Lil' Violet well it reads like any US book at least my copy did most manga read right from left but this one reads left to right
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Caitlin If your question is how to obtain the book, I would advise checking out your local library. Their online system could possibly put it on hold for you…moreIf your question is how to obtain the book, I would advise checking out your local library. Their online system could possibly put it on hold for you from different locations.
Reading it will probably start on the right and move to the left. (less)

Start your review of InuYasha: Turning Back Time (InuYasha, #1)
Kathryn
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
I have never read this book. Ever. In my life.

But that doesn't matter. I've watched the anime. And my friend has read it and said that they were, like, exactly the same.

So, after saying that, I may get on to my review. *Takes a deep breath."

OMGOMGOMGOMG THIS IS THE BEST SERIES ON THE FUCKING PLANET IT IS HEARTWARMING AND DARK AND ROMANTIC AND FULL OF ACTION AND ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, got that out of my system.

This e
Layla (Between the Lines)
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2019
Flashback. I'm a child, sneaking into my teen brother's bedroom while he's out with his friends so I can wear the sweater he never lets me touch and watch Inuyasha on the little TV my parents gave him. The show starts at 9pm. It's past my bedtime but I don't care. I never sleep anyways. This is as good as it gets.

I was reading a Shonen Sunday Special today that I can't find on Goodreads, so I'm just logging it as volume 1 for now. This manga brings back so many good memories for me.
Natalie
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any manga reader
Recommended to Natalie by: friends from middle school
Before I go into any detail about this manga let me first go onto a short rant. So I was originally going to do a review on a whole manga series and the same review would be on every volume. But certain manga series (like this one) are over 20 volumes. So I decided to it the series piece by piece and for this review I'm going to go over the first volume and then volumes 2 & 3 will be roughly the same.

So let's get started.

Before I talk about the plot I'm going to talk about my past concerni
Sesana
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Why did I ever stop following InuYasha? For a long time, I was reading each volume as it came out. Maybe I got lazy, or maybe I forgot to watch for it. Reading the first volume again reminded me of how much I loved reading it in the first place. It is huge, and it's going to take awhile to get through all of the volumes. (But hey, at least there's a light at the end of this tunnel...) But after reading the first volume, I think it'll be worth it. I really like Rumiko Takahashi's signature style, ...more
Rose
Giving this manga one star seems harsh but it's pretty much the only rating I feel is right when I think about my "enjoyment" of this first in a series everyone else but me seems to love. To be fair, though, it's more like 1 star.

Anyway, everyone who followed my Black Butler adventure a little (tres, cuatro, cinco, seis, siete, ocho, nueve, diez, once is what I'm talking about) might be a witness that it's hard for me to find a manga series where my enjoyment of it is not a
Virag
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anime fans and people who like awesomeness
Inuyasha was the first anime show that I really enjoyed. I found it by accident, I even forget how, and then I watched all 167 episodes on Youtube (it took me about 3 months to finish haha) and then the Final Act on a different site.

What can I say? I love Inuaysha! It's probably my favorite anime show ever, but definitely top three. It's funny and exciting and I can still not get it out of my head, even though I finished it months ago.

Oh, and Inuyasha and Kagome all the way.
Melissa
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anime/manga fans
Recommended to Melissa by: Kaelyn
I was surprised by how good this volume was. I tend to be a lot more into the more recent anime/manga, but this is an excellent example of an older work with a really strong storyline and the potential for a very cute romance. I was rather upset by how much chest the author drew though. If I owned this book, I'd definitely want to censor it before letting my siblings read it.
Jessica-Robyn
Jun 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, manga-manhwa
InuYasha is a series that I adore. While I watched the anime I feel in love with the characters and would end up sneaking out of my bedroom late at night to catch the show week after week. It was the show that introduced me to anime and at the time I didn't even know what manga was.

It would make sense for my adoration to transfer itself over to the manga. I mean, they did end the anime series early and it's one of my favourite properties of all time. However, my love for the story and chara
Chai
Sep 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! Rumiko Takahashi returns with a story that has all the comedy of her popular series "Ranma 1/2", but with more attention to plot and character development.

Kagome is a young Japanese highschooler in modern Japan. When she falls in an ancient well on her home property, she finds herself transferred to ancient Japan! There, she discovers she is a reincarnation of a priestess whose job was to protect a magical item called the Shikon Jewel. Ancient Japan is littered wi
Nora
Inuyasha was one of the first anime series I watched, and so it has a special place in my heart. While I absolutely despised Inuyasha, our half-demon hero, at first, I loved seeing his feelings for Kagome grow throughout the manga. I loved the juxtaposition of the past world of demons with Kagome's modern world. There were parts hat were so sad they brought me close to tears, and parts where I actually chuckled to myself. A true gem in the manga genre, I'd highly recommend it to anyone who loves ...more
Lauren Biondi
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hall-of-fame

3rd Place Winner 2016

5 stars to the whole series. My whole heart and soul. Can't thank Rumiko Takahashi enough for this masterpiece.
Anya (~on a semi-hiatus~)
So many warm childhood memories attached to this series. And ten years on, I still fucking adore it. Oh and just because I can NEVER EVER emphasize enough on this- CAT EARS! So freaking kawaii. :")

Sam
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 日本語, 4-star, comics
Another manga book I've read probably a hundred times, haha. Least in English, this is my first in Japanese. Coming off of Detective Conan, I was thinking of trying something a bit different. For Japanese learners, I'll discuss that below.

As for the book content itself:
What can I say? I'm nostalgic. Rereading this again, after so many years, I can hear their voices perfectly, the music thumping in the background, all the sound effects, it was an awesome time to go through this
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
This took approximately forever to get through. There are so many freaking volumes. At first, I enjoyed it, because it was kind of funny and silly. Unfortunately, it's incredibly formulaic and repetitive, kind of like episodes of The Power Rangers. You know what's going to happen, but it takes all of time to get there.

Basically, for about fifty of the volumes, they keep having skirmishes with the big bad of the series, Naraku. He's a hanyou like Inuyasha, determined to use the Shikon
Sevairi
EDIT: I found awesome scans of this manga on my tablet's manga reader which is translated directly from the Japanese. I've edited this review after reading these. My original review was based off an altered reprint copy.

Okay, so once again, this review comes after rereading the first volume.

I've always had a warm spot in my heart for InuYasha. It was the first anime I ever watched, which I stumbled upon by flicking through television channels at ten o'clock on a Saturday nigh
Rebecca
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
InuYasha is my very first manga and I had a lot of fun reading it. I am very glad I never saw the cartoon series, so that I was reading InuYasha with fresh eyes. I really appreciated the note at the beginning of the story explaining why InuYasha is set Between 1482-1558 They said:

“ because it was relatively easier to draw out a ghost story from that time period…in the Sengoku Era, there was war, and lots of people died.”

I had never thought about all the research that woul
May 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
I got hooked on the InuYasha series back when it was available to be viewed at a reasonable time of day on the Cartoon Network. When I moved to a new home and discovered that our community cable service was running InuYasha at 5:30am my addiction to this series went on hiatus. I wanted to know if the series had an end and if so how Ms. Takahasi decided to conclude this story. Happily I found the entire manga series had been scanned, in English, all 558 volumes. I finally was able to find out wha ...more
Julie
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
the shameless manga reviewing continues with another manga that dominated my teen life, INUYASHA.

I remember seeing the anime on Adult Swim before tracking down the comic. back then when Adult Swim was still pretty fresh, I would TAPE (yes, TAPE) the anime hours and one night I happened to have an episode of Inuyasha on my tape. then the madness started.

Inuyasha is a story set in early medieval Japan which is what I think makes it so interesting. the focus is on what happe
Samantha wickedshizuku Tolleson
Apr 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Manga fans, Anime fans
Recommended to Samantha wickedshizuku by: Adult Swim
This manga starts off with a prologue that if you haven't at least seen the show and gotten the legend of InuYasha then shame on you.
Well a young half dog demon, InuYasha, steals a spiritual jewel named the Shikon no Tama. Suddenly he is shot, by the head priestess Kikyo, with a sealing arrow. While dying she makes her younger sister burn the jewel with her on her funeral pyre. From then on the jewel had never been seen again.
There the story stands.
All of a sudden we are thrown into
Starbubbles
Nov 04, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
i was addicted to this show. addicted! it was to the point where i had downloaded and viewed up to episode 167. (that means i d/led over 140 episodes over the couple year span that i had to watch it.) i must admit, i wouldn't have given the show the time of day if it weren't for that awesome ending credits theme song. yes, you know the one, "my way." that song alone was addictive. there were other addictive songs too, but that one remained my favorite. but i think i'm suppose to be talking about ...more
Cupcakes & Machetes
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
It’s been years since I binged watched the entire Inu-yasha anime, so I thought, why not give the manga a try? My next question is; if you read it from front to back like a normal book is it really a manga? I’ve not read many but the ones I have you read from back to front.

Either way, from what I can remember the show must stick to the books fairly well. Reading this just makes me want to watch the show all over again. But, I guess instead I could continue with the books. Even if the books insist on showing
Melissa
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Melissa Wickelhaus
Genre: Modern Fantasy
Volume one of Inu-Yasha: A Feudal Fairy Tale follows Kagome, a typical Japanese high school girl until one day when an evil monster pulls her through the old well in the shrine behind her family’s home. Kagome is pulled from her world into the world of Japan’s ancient past where many of the legends her grandfather has told her about turn out to be true. Kagome may just be the reincarnation of a village priestess and she must work together with t
Mal
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I ABSOLUTLY ADORE INUYASHA!!

InuYasha was introduced to me through my cousin, Yue. She and I watched the anime online. Or rather, we watched the first twenty or do epsiodes together. Yue went on with it and saw loads more than I did, I only saw four or so episodes after twenty. I enjoyed it so much, it's one of my favorites <3

Even knowing what's going to happen up to a certain point the book was an absolute blast two read and I highly highly HIGHLY recommend it.

Warning; it has a few... Well
Lili
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once again a manga I've read already several times before.... couple of years ago. But can't remember really when. But I think it's the first time I've read it in English.
I really loved it when I was a child and I am glad that nothing has changed. I still love the story and the plot... oh and the characters! Gotta love them!! The conversations still can make me laugh like I've never read them before.
Caroline
Nov 02, 2008 rated it liked it
A very engrossing manga about a girl who goes back in time to a land full of demons. There is all this stuff and nonsense about swallowing jewels, which is very "Haruka"-like. Which can be a good thing...and wasn't this one written first anyway? It's also kind of like Red River, because the girl gets sucked back in time...wow. This is like the Shojo Base.
Marguerite
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, time-travel
4 Stars.

I'll be honest here, I've already started watching the anime, so plot wise I know what is happening, but I've got to say, the manga is really cute and fun! I'm excited to keep on reading :) (Side note: I'm actually reading the bumper 3-in-1 volume, put I'm going to mark as I finish each volume individually so I can keep track!).

Hana
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really like this manga’s setting. Kagome’s reactions were similar to us (girls who are living now), so I could sympathize with her feeling and actions. Additionally, I thought Kagome has greatly brave. She had never be scared in front of dangerous monsters. I love her! I want to read Inuyasha more!
jenny
I'm rereading this. My goal for 2013 is to finally finish this series.

I forgot how much I love this manga. The characters, art, action, and humor are all wonderful. The first volume starts off very fast paced. The story moves quickly while introducing us to the characters and storyline. I love Kagome. She is an awesome heroine!
Lym
(collects volumes 1&2)
This was entertaining! I liked the intro and more or less episodic adventures that Kagome and InuYasha went on, especially the horror and mythology elements to them, and while I suspect the "Sit!" joke to get old fast, for now it made me chuckle every time. I can't say I'm terribly emotionally attached to anyone quite yet (hence the three stars) but it's a charming start.
Sarin
Dec 12, 2017 is currently reading it
I personally think this book is really good. It's filled with a lot of emotion, suspense, and adventure, and I would honestly recommend it to everyone. The story of Inuyasha its self, is quite intriguing and it plays with ones emotions frequently. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
who is the best partner of inuyasha?kikyo or kagumi? 18 99 Mar 26, 2019 09:49AM
actions, adventure and a bit of romances 1 3 Sep 26, 2018 10:44AM
YouTube Anime/Man...: InuYasha Discussion 2 4 Dec 16, 2014 11:05AM
YouTube Anime/Man...: InuYasha 1 1 Dec 08, 2014 08:53PM

• Cardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 1 (Cardcaptor Sakura, #1)
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Volume 03
  • Yu Yu Hakusho, Volume 1: Goodbye, Material World! (Yu Yu Hakusho, #1)
  • Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 1: Priestess
  • Black Cat, Volume 01
  • Fruits Basket, Vol. 6
  • Chibi Vampire, Vol. 01
  • D.N.Angel, Vol. 1 (D.N.Angel, #1)
  • Marmalade Boy, Vol. 1 (Marmalade Boy, #1)
Rumiko Takahashi (高橋 留美子) was born in Niigata, Japan. She is not only one of the richest women in Japan but also one of the top paid manga artists. She is also the most successful female comic artist in history. She has been writing manga non-stop for 31 years.

Rumiko Takahashi is one of the wealthiest women in Japan. The manga she creates (and its anime adaptations) are very popular in

InuYasha (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • InuYasha: Family Matters (InuYasha, #2)
  • InuYasha: Good Intentions (InuYasha, #3)
  • Inuyasha, Volume 01 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • InuYasha: Lost and Alone (InuYasha, #4)
  • InuYasha: Flesh and Bone (InuYasha, #5)
  • InuYasha: Wounded Souls (InuYasha, #6)
  • InuYasha: Close Enemies (InuYasha, #7)
  • InuYasha: Stolen Spirit (InuYasha, #8)
  • InuYasha: Building a Better Trap (InuYasha, #9)
  • InuYasha: A Warrior's Code (InuYasha, #10)