Start by marking “The Dreaming, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Dreaming, Vol. 1

The Dreaming, Vol. 1

(The Dreaming #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  1,410 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Identical twins Jeanie and Amber are new students at Greenwich Private College, that lies on the edge of virgin bushlands. The school is run by its vice principal, who has a prejudice against twins - in fact, she rejects all twins' applications. The girls were only able to get in by saying that they are just regular sisters, born 11 months apart.
Published December 13th 2005 by Tokyopop (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Dreaming, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dreaming, Vol. 1

The Shining by Stephen KingThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensGhost Story by Peter StraubHeart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Ghost Stories
1,106 books — 1,695 voters
Nimona by Noelle StevensonFun Home by Alison BechdelHyperbole and a Half by Allie BroshMs. Marvel, Vol. 1 by G. Willow WilsonAnya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol
Comics & Graphic Novels by Women
1,120 books — 1,171 voters

More lists with this book...

Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
This review is for the series, volumes 1-3.

I didn't like the art, but the story was kind of interesting. The atmosphere was definitely creepy, especially toward the end of the last volume, but I wanted more of an explanation for the disappearances. The setting was interesting (Australian bush) and I wish it had been used more effectively.
Aly's Bookish Wonderland
MOTHERFUUUUU--

What is UP with these cliffhangers?!

And I have to wait THREE WEEKS for my library to get Vol II. FML.

On a brighter note! I haven't read a manga since I was... more or less since I was 13, which is sad because I really bloody enjoy them. It's even sadder that there are NO good places around here to borrow/buy mangas, so I have to make do with what I find.

And then I stumbled upon The Dreaming, Vol. 1. It's everything I look for in a manga and more. A definite must read.

I've never re
Sarai
Oct 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
From Booklist
Gr. 9-12. In the first volume of a three-book manga series, identical twins Jeanie and Amber arrive at their new boarding school on the edge of the Australian bush to find it steeped in mystery. Vague rumors of students disappearing, sealed rooms, tight-lipped teachers, and a collection of disturbing paintings have the girls unnerved, and when they start experiencing the same nightmare, they really begin to worry. The subtle buildup of spooky tension culminates when one of the girls
Yoo
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-mahwa, 2016
It's okay. It does give me that creepy vibe, but I found it not that scary. Maybe because I had read worst. Overall, the mystery is good. I can't suspect anyone for now though some characters seem suspicious (here goes my imagination) so, yeah :P
A. Musquiz
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Creepy story, awesome art and even cooler characters. I loved it!
Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
I’m really not sure what to think about The Dreaming. The Dreaming is about Jeannie and Amber, who are twin sisters that get accepted into an Australian boarding school. However, the school is really creepy, since the entire school is surrounded by bushlands…and every once in a while, students disappear into the bushlands, never to be seen or heard from again. The vice-principal is creepy as well, having a hatred for twins.

It was an interesting story, and since this is only the first volume, th
Rebecca
When I picked this up off the shelf and read the back I though, oh a thriller/mystery. My type of book then. So when I was reading it I did get a little spooked. Later on I read the back and it actually is classed as a horror. Fans of horror this book would suit you fine.

I have a warning about this book too. If you're anything like me and you have an overactive imagination or get scared easily do not read The Dreaming at night all by yourself. I did and I think this made the book even scarier th
Robert Beveridge
Queenie Chan, The Dreaming, vol. 1 (Tokyopop, 2005)

The Dreaming, projected to be a three-book series, kicks off with this one. Twin sisters Amber and Jeanie are sent to an exclusive boarding school deep in the Australian bush. While they're nieces of the school's headmaster, it seems that the very morning after they leave, she has to head off for three months to a string of conferences and things, so the girls have to face the school alone. And a weird one it is. First, there are some girls who
I'mogén
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
This gets a 2.5 stars
This was one of the mangas that was given to me from a whole bundle and so I had never heard of it, and although the synopsis didn't reel me in the cover certainly intrigued me.
Unfortunately the plot was too flat and dry for me to really enjoy it and the character dynamics wasn't well developed for my tastes.
There wasn't much development or depth so I got through this pretty fast and the art was more of a mature, grown up style, but I didn't like it that much.
This is only a
Derek Royal
Aug 16, 2015 rated it liked it
My daughter has been wanting em to read this one for a long time, and the other day she brought this first volume home from the library for me to read. And I did. I like these kind of recommendations...and, more importantly, a way to bond with Zoe!
Jerry
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
A crackling start to what looks to be a gripping series. I don't usually do horror, but, this book had me hook, line, and sinker. The artwork was fabulous, as well.
Edward
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Don't read just before you go to bed.
Samoe
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
After finishing Queenie Chan's most recent series; Fabled Kingdom, I decided to read one of her previous works when I saw it at my local library. Of course, I wasn't expecting it to be similar to FK considering it's a horror story but it could have been written by a completely different author for how different it was. The art is nice (Queenie Chan has improved since this series but it's still appealing) and the detail in the clothing is stunning.
The plot is what drew me in though, just as it sh
Shyla Colt
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm so torn on this. I felt like there was a lot of potential. The creep factor was high. I was into the settings, and the art was pretty good. The story was too stretched out too far. They tried so hard to maintain mystique I ended being more irritated than interesting. At the end I had no clue what was actually going on, and I don't have a desire to continue .
Emmi
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#CharmsExtraCredit 🌟
I'm gonna challenge myself read the whole series this week. I've red this once many years ago, and I remember liking it very much, even though it's pretty basic horror. Perfect for October!
Dine
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bücherei, 2017
Ich will wissen wie es weiter geht. Im Prinzip ist die Handlung nichts neues, aber ich muss wissen WIESO?!
Anayah D
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*Spoiler alert * The book was awesome i really loved it but i cant wait to read the whole series
if you read the book i hope you like it
i like when the author put the ending with a twist to it.
Angieonigiri
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This wasn’t a terrible read but...it wasn’t amazing. I don’t see myself continuing the series.
Hannah Colen
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Literally the only manga I have ever read, but also I have fallen in love with. I love books with this sort of mysteriously nostalgic aura. Want to read the next volume asap
Bree
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
top-notch teen thriller
Rachael P
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book very mysterious and really fun to read it is a really easy book to read because when I read it I finished it the same night.
Scott
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Twins wind up attending a Boarding School where things aren't what they seem.
Creepy.
Good stuff.
Tsana Dolichva
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Dreaming by Queenie Chan is almost the first manga I've read. I say almost because I did read Red String online a few years ago (and then bought a couple of paper volumes) but I never got to the end because I lost track of it once I was up to date with the online pages. Anyway, The Dreaming is quite different, being both horror and Australian.

I am by no means an expert on art but, to me, the art style was nice and added to the story. (People wanting to judge for themselves can see examples o
Miss Ryoko
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
I picked up this manga... which isn't actually a manga, it's an OEL-manga (aka artists that aren't Japanese trying to make manga because god forbid we just call it a graphic novel)for the Mini Game Challenge in the Manga Book Club because it's a three book series, and it sounded pretty interesting.

I try not to get too annoyed with OEL-mangas... but I do. Mangas are from Japan, because that is what they are called in Japan. If a non-Japanese artist does this, it's a graphic novel (in my opinion).
Andrea
Nov 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Andrea by: Amanda
Shelves: young-adult, mystery
The Little Bookworm

When twins Jeanie and Amber are sent to Greenwich Private College in Australia, they expect it will be a regular school. Things quickly turn creepy as the sisters are told to pretend they are not twins and start dreaming the same dreams. As they delved further into the history of the school and the rumors of haunting and missing girls, the twins start to realize that the key might be in their dreams.

I went ahead and read all three since manga are short and it's only a three p
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Amber and Jeanie are identical twins that are going to a boarding school. Their Aunt Jessie is the headmistress, but she's going to be going away for several months. Her assistant is a really old and very nasty woman.

Their aunt has told them they cannot tell anyone they are identical twins because there are some kind of rumors about such a situation. They also find out students have disappeared in the brushlands surrounding the schools.

(Okay. A technical point here. First, if they can't let any
Priscilla
Dec 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of gothic horror manga
Recommended to Priscilla by: noone
I finished reading volume one of The Dreaming. I was directed to her because of her art work in the Odd Thomas manga In Odd We Trust. When I looked for her other contributions, I saw she had written this 3 book series called The Dreaming. The art work was beautiful, with a dark undertone that at times was consuming, so needless to say I wanted to read it. There is no page that isn't filled with her detailed art work, beautifying effects and descriptive imagery of the characters, environment and ...more
Joseph Monaghan
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Manga fans
Shelves: fiction, manga
The Dreaming is the story of Amber and Jeanie, two Australian girls who, after their mother and father mysteriously leave them at a boarding school with no goodbye, discover that many girls have gone missing in the woodland outside their new private school.

This volume is one of the first manga books I ever read. That was a few years ago, and now that I have re-read the book a few times, it would be easy for me to name it excellent. With wonderful art, it is obvious to anyone (even those who do n
ஐ♥☠Brįttåny☠♥ஐ
Synopsis - twin sisters Amber and Jeanie are accepted into an exclusive Australian boarding school. the school's halls harbor a terrible secret- students have been known to wander into the surrounding bushlands and vanish without a trace! No one knows where they went or why. Amber and Jeanie are about to learn the key to the school's dark past may lie in the world of their dreams...

Classification -
Audience: 12
Purpose: Mostly entertainment, some moral messages
Medium: Graphic Novel
Genre - Setti
Farhin
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
That was creepy...

The Dreaming by Queenie Chan is the first in a three-volume manga. It follows the story of twin sisters in Australia who move to a boarding school that has had a history of girls vanishing into the bushlands surrounding the school, never to be seen again.

The art work was fantastic- Chan did a great job in giving the twins distinguishable features (in particular their hair) making the story easier to follow. The setting- the school itself and the girls' bedroom were drawn in d
  • Bizenghast, Volume 1 (Bizenghast, #1)
  • The Cain Saga, Volume 03
  • Shutterbox Volume 1: Orientation (Shutterbox, #1)
  • King of Thorn, Vol. 1
  • Higurashi When They Cry: Curse Killing Arc, Vol. 2
  • Hell Girl, Volume 1
  • Ghost Hunt, Vol. 4 (Ghost Hunt, #4)
  • The Tarot Cafe, #5
Queenie Chan was born in Hong Kong in 1980, and migrated to Australia when she was six years old. She has a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems, but didn’t follow that career path due to graduating in 2002, in the middle of the dot-com bust. In 2004, she began drawing a 3-volume mystery-horror series called “The Dreaming” for LA-based manga publisher TOKYOPOP. To date, it has been translated ...more

The Dreaming (3 books)