Start by marking “Dreaming of You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dreaming of You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #2)

Dreaming of You

(The Gamblers of Craven's #2)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  30,902 ratings  ·  1,496 reviews
She stood at danger's threshold—then love beckoned her in.

In the shelter of her country cottage, Sara Fielding puts pen to paper to create dreams. But curiosity has enticed the prim, well-bred gentlewoman out of her safe haven—and into Derek Craven's dangerous world.

A handsome, tough and tenacious Cockney, he rose from poverty to become lord of London's most exclusive gamb
Mass Market Paperback, 373 pages
Published June 30th 2015 by Avon (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Dreaming of You, please sign up.
Julianna He doesn't actually know how old he is, but another character guesses that he's around 30.

·  30,902 ratings  ·  1,496 reviews

Kristen
Quick review finally completed 10/31/13

FANTASTIC!!! HUGE 5 Stars!

Dreaming of You is one of the most beautifully told love stories I've read. It's full of vibrant and flawed characters that will touch your heart like few other characters will. There's nothing new I can say about this slightly heartbreaking yet wonderfully heartwarming story that hasn't already been said other than Derek Craven and Sara Feilding and their love story is why I read romance. It doesn't get better than this!
Shawna
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lisa Kleypas fans, historical romance readers, and tortured hero lovers
Recommended to Shawna by: Eastofoz
5++ stars – Historical/Regency Romance

This is such a beautiful, heartrending love story that I savored like the finest Vosges chocolate! And it’s no wonder why this is such a sentimental, LK fan favorite...Derek Craven...*dreamy sigh*.

Author Sara Fielding wants to observe the workings of London’s underground gaming halls for her latest novel, including the most famous gambling club of all, Craven’s, and the notorious man who runs it. Derek Craven, the sexy, cynical, hardened cockney son of a pro
Daniella
May 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Did my 5th re-read of this book yesterday. I used to love it--really, I did.

But things changed. My views have changed, and I can't let the fact that Derek shagged that housewench as a sub for Sara go. It felt unclean for me, and was so downright disrespectful to women in general. No woman should be used for her body like that. Enough.

And this delineation between pure, naive Sara and the unclean OTHER women? Yeah, that can go to hell. I'm sick of that shit.
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
5 I-so-marrying-Derek-in-my-next-life stars ! ♥

This book was a BLOODY AMAZING READ !! I can't believe I just struck gold in a mine full of books,so unintentionally....

She felt him tremble with the force of his need. He spoke just beneath her ear, his voice thick with tormented pleasure. "You have to leave, Sara ... because I want to hold you like this until your skin melts into mine. I want you in my bed, the smell of you on my sheets, your hair spread across my pillow. I want to take your inno
Jasbell76
ALERT! ALERT! Cheating hero!
description

Hero was not celibate during the separation. I will avoid this book since I had a BAD experience with the last book I read by Kleypas:
Forever My Love
Forever My Love? Oh, really?
I don't know if people can understand this but, I CONSIDER that a hero is a cheater when AFTER he MEETS the heroine and HAS SEX with her, and maybe he started to feel "something" for her, he dumps her and sleeps with other woman/women. This separation was not for YEARS!
I like my heros being cel
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This book is a beautiful love story. Derek Craven is a self-made man who is not interested in love, and certainly not with a sheltered provincial spinster like Sara. But when he falls for her, he falls hard. The beauty of this story is how deeply Derek comes to love Sara. Some of the things he says to her, and the way he shows his love move d me intensely when I read it, and still do, though it has been years since I read this book. And Sara is worthy of his love. She might be rather plain and c ...more
Chantal ❤️
I read this book long ago when it first came out.
It was one of my fav as the tortured hero goes he was the best.
However, I must say looking back on it now I can see that it was an ok read but it also had some questionable moments like when he first sees her and does not help her out but she saves his life.
He is a street rat and does not know any other way to be but basic. The fact that he does not have sex with her when she throws herself at him says how hard he was trying to do right by her.
Mo
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked this one. I always like a tortured hero ... and Derek Craven really is tortured. He feels that because of his upbringing he is unworthy of love, especially the love of a sweet person.

Separately they had different strengths. Together they were complete.

Loved catching up with Lily and Alex again. I loved the first book.

Derek fights his attraction to Sara. She is not even his "type": a country maiden from a small village. He is used to the flirtatious ladies of the ton.

He was so far from
Nat O
6++++ Stars
HOLY HISTORICAL HOTNESS. Derek Craven's got to be thee finest historical male that was ever written!! Need any more reason to read this?? Didn't think so- 'nuff said.

Derek grew up in the gutters. He is now the richest man in London as the owner of Craven's, a renowned gaming hell. His upbringing has left him extremely guarded and cynical. Sara Fielding is a young writer from the country who visits the casino for research on her latest book, but what she finds is one *irresistible* man
Addie H
I am re-reading all my 5 star rated romance novels. There are 60 on my shelf. This is book 22.

(Tropes: Opposites Attract, Unrequited Love, Wallflower, Love Triangle)

This is how my 22nd re-read held up.

description

I cannot believe how I have chosen to ignore a MAJOR big problem in this book the first time I read it. CHEATING. Not once. But twice! The second time was sort of out of his control, but the first time was NOT, so

description

The thing is, this book is pretty awesome. Was pretty awesome – whatever.

At least
Roksana
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
5+++ STARS!!!

MARRY ME, MR. CRAVEN!!!

I don’t think it’s possible for me to talk about this book without excessive gushing! I’ve heard great things about Derek Craven, about how he’s Kleypas’ favourite hero that she’s ever written and now I understand why! Derek is the most haunted, the most broken out of all the heroes she has written. And I thought Kev from the Hathaways was intense! Derek easily stole my heart in Then Came You and he broke it in Dreaming of You!

And then there’s Sara Rose Fie
Crista
I read this book at least once a year, and have been doing so for the past 5 years. There really are not enough words for this love story. Each time I read it, I think that I've romanticized it in my mind, and each time I am left with the same amazed, giddy, and warm-fuzzies that I experienced that last time I read it. If you are a romance fan...this is an absolute MUST READ. DEREK CRAVEN is a name that you'll take with you to the grave!

This man is so positively unforgettable that I struggle to
Susana

Looking at my friend's ratings it is clear that I am once again the black sheep.

The thing is, despite loving the Wallflower and the Hathaway series to bits, I tend to have some problems with Lisa Kleypas older books _apparently this was written back in 2003 o_O _, they feel very soap operish to me, and I'm sick and tired of idiotic heroines always placing themselves in dangerous situations, so that the hero can save them!
That's what happened here: Sarah is supposed to be an intelligent woman but
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)

Miss Sara Fielding, a celebrated but reclusive author, is researching her new book about gambling in the seedier parts of London a long way from her sedate live in the country. When she saves a man from being attacked she is astounded to realize that it is none other than the owner of the renowned gaming hall Mr Derek Craven. In repayment for saving his life he lets the spinsterish but adventurous Miss Fielding into his club for her research; however, the little “mouse” seems to be getting und
Holly
Lisa Kleypas is one of my favorite Historical Romance authors, but based on this I am not sure I want to go further back than her Wallflowers series. The writing style is still the same, which I like, but the insta-romance is a downer and there weren't any "fun" interactions like we later see in her Hathaways series (and I hope to see with West in her book coming out next year, Devil's Daughter). This one also felt a bit slow at times. This was good, but I know this author wrote much better late ...more
Rane
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: victorian-era, keeper
This was such a beautiful story that had me reading it in about one sitting!

You met Derek Craven in The Came You as a gambling club owner with a dark past who had to claw his way up to the top and do everything in his power to stay there. When he’s suddenly attacked he’s saved by a well-known author Sara Fielding. After finding out who Derek is, Sara asks in the name of research for her next book to view his gambling club but, when sparks fly between them Derek and Sara they both face obstacl
Jan
Jan 09, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I liked but didn't love this sweet HR about Sara the apparently mousy writer who is really quite a strong and interesting person, and Derek the poor Cockney orphan made good. Derek has had a very tough life but he has pulled himself up by his bootstraps and is now highly successful.

On the surface, they don't seem like an obvious couple, but they fall deeply in love and it's soon clear they were meant for each other. There are a few twists and turns to the plot, including a suitably t
Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)
Okay, I'd like to start off this review by saying that if Lily were alive in this day and age, this would be her fave T-shirt:

She invades this book with her sexist bitchiness, always blabbing on about how men are "useless creatures" and "easy to manage" etc... It's a wonder she actually decided to marry a man, what with the way she loathes them.

Moving on from Lily.

So, Derek. He is my man. I love his guts. Seriously. Lily claimed he was a heartless, uncaring man, when, obviously, he was not. Lil
Sharon
I'm a suckerrrr for regency romance books. It's always just the right amount of cheesy.

-----------

Not a perfect book, but it was mesmerizing at times. Lisa Kleypas’ characters always fill me with such strong emotions, whether they are positive or negative. This book is not one of my favorites out of all of her books, but there is definitely something charming and intriguing about Derek Craven and his world of gambling, drinking, and other vices. He is an interesting figure for sure. I also love
Jo
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3-5-stars, mine, gr2016
"You have to leave, Sara ... because I want to hold you like this until your skin melts into mine. I want you in my bed, the smell of you on my sheets, your hair spread across my pillow. I want to take your innocence. God! I want to ruin you for anyone else."

Lisa Kleypas is my favorite HR author. I just love her books. And Dreaming of You was great. It reminded me of Devil in Winter, probably because of the whole gambling house, and Derek thinking he wasn’t good enough for Sara. Derek remin

Tammy Walton Grant
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tammy by: Every romance reader on GR
This is going to be another review where I apologize to every GR friend who loves this book. I'm sorry guys, I just didn't. I tried - I really did!

I didn't connect with either Derek or Sara, I didn't care for the story, and found myself skipping the love scenes. SKIPPING THE LOVE SCENES, folks. (That doesn't happen very often, I'm a bit of a dirty girl.)

The whole book was meh for me, and frankly some parts made me uncomfortable. I dunno what it was, but it was like my brain shied away as soon as
Zoe
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have reread this book many times since my youth but the most recent reread made me take this book down a peg. I had loved Derek Craven as a character and he alone made the book great for me. I have always thought that his fascination for Sara Fielding came out of nowhere. But Derek was such a compelling character. And what girl doesn't like the idea of a bad boy changing for love?

The story itself is the typical bad boy gets redemption through his relationship with the good girl. I reread this
Princess under cover
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.75. I'm rounding to 4 stars.

I'll begin by saying that LK's earlier works are definitely from a different era. Perhaps one that doesn't allow romance authors to get too explicit with their love scenes (unfortunately). Not only was I made to wait until 70+% through the book before I actually got to it, the scenes themselves felt rushed, leaving a feeling of dissatisfaction.

Now, I know LK can write pretty hot love scenes. By the time the Hathaways series came along, she was already taking the he
Celeste
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Lisa Kleypas fans!
WOW! I loved Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas! I would even go so far as to say it rivals my affections for Devil in Winter,(my all time fav LK book) - no easy feat for sure!

There are many trials and ups and downs Derek and Sara face throught the book; it is non-stop action from the very beginning. They have got the sweetest relationship. The chemistry between them was electrifying and I couldn't get enough of them! I was actually sad for the book to end! Very good romantic read.

And once again I
Linda
*Sigh.* I guess I am one of the last of my GR friends to read this story. Just about everyone rated it, though the number of stars are across the board. If I tackled this historical romance when it was first published in 1994, I would have given it five stars. I wasn’t as fussy back then. But now? From the first chapter of Dreaming of You, it was necessary to sacrifice realism and logic for the sake of enjoyment.

Chapter One: Miss Sara Fielding was a writer gathering research for her third book.
SheReadsALot
My fave Lisa Kleypas of all time!

Derek Craven forever!

RATED ALL THE DAMN STARS IN THE SKY!

YOU HAVE ANY? I'M TAKING THOSE FOR THIS BOOK!
♥Sharon♥
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Another fabulous story by Lisa Kleypas and wonderfully narrated by Rosalyn Landor.

I don't have time for a proper review so I will just say that as tortured hero's go, Derek Craven fit the mold perfectly. I had a soft spot for him when I met him in Then Came You and I knew I would loved his story.

And sweet Sara. Upon her first meeting of Derek she had no clue what she was in for. She was as much an innocent as Derek was a scoundrel. Her mind told her to stay away but her heart had other plans.
Sam (AMNReader)
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lovely, why we read Kleypas still, right? I just thought the pacing was weird or it coulda been 5.
Eastofoz
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers who like emotionally scarred heroes
Great story with a very "different" kind of hero.

Derek Craven has lived through every kind of misery and debauchery imaginable which has left him so jaded that he doesn’t even know if he has any real emotions left. Enter Sara Fielding, a famous reclusive author, who decides she wants to take a walk on the wild side at his gaming hall –all in the name of research for her next book ;D

Excellent secondary characters with a special mention for Mrs Kingswood the potential mother in-law from hell, as

• England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • Lord of Ice (Knight Miscellany, #3)
  • As You Desire (Braxton, #1)
  • And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)
  • The Shadow and the Star (Victorian Hearts, #2)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • One Night Is Never Enough (Secrets, #2)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2)
  • Not Quite a Husband (The Marsdens, #2)
  • Sinful (Addicted #2)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • Romancing Mister Bridgerton (Bridgertons, #4)
  • Yours Until Dawn
  • The Rake (Davenport, #2)

The Gamblers of Craven's (2 books)
  • Then Came You (The Gamblers of Craven's, #1)
“A long time ago I learned not to explain things to people. It misleads them into thinking they're entitled to know everything I do. —[Sara] 332 likes
“Derek's breath touched Sara's throat in unsteady urges. "Sometimes," he whispered, "I'm so close to you ... and I'm still not close enough. I want to share your breath ... every beat of your heart."

He cradled her head in both his hands, his mouth hot on her neck. "Sometimes," he murmured, "I want to punish you a little."

"Why?"

"For making me want you until I ache with it. For the way I wake at night just to watch you sleeping." His face was intense and passionate above her, his green eyes sharp in their brightness. "I want you more each time I'm with you. It's a fever that never leaves me. I can't be alone without wondering where you are, when I can have you again." His lips possessed hers in a kiss that was both savage and tender, and she opened to him eagerly.”
191 likes