Start by marking “Poisoned Profits: The Toxic Assault on Our Children” as Want to Read:
Poisoned Profits: The Toxic Assault on Our Children

Poisoned Profits: The Toxic Assault on Our Children

In this shocking and sobering book, two fearless journalists directly and definitively link industrial toxins to the current rise in childhood disease and death. In the tradition of Silent Spring, Poisoned Profits is a landmark investigation, an eye-opening account of a country that prizes money over children’s health.

With indisputable data, Philip Shabecoff and Alice Shab
Published August 12th 2008 by Random House Publishing Group (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Poisoned Profits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poisoned Profits

Anna
Sep 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
We are all screwed.
Feb 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Still not finished reading this, but had to return it to the library after 2 renewals.

I would recommend this book to anyone, but I URGE parents or those who may be thinking of becoming parents to read it. It provides a heaping amount of evidence that big corporations have been creating an epidemic of disease and illness in our country since the start of the industrial revolution. The baby boomers are probably the first generation to be affected by it, but they are probably not even aware of it.
Paul
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you wondered why there seems to be an epidemic of serious childhood illnesses, like cancer, asthma and birth defects, in America? It has a lot to do with the huge increase, over the past 50 years, of toxic chemicals dumped into the environment. This book gives the details.

There are a number of towns all over the country, ranging from Dickson, Tennessee, to Pittsfield, Massachusetts, to Toms River, New Jersey, suffering much higher than normal numbers of severe childhood illnesses. Each town
Richard
Nov 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Richard by: Rebecca
This is a very good look at how health is effected by industry, government and our own ignorance. The problem I had with the book in total is that it does not breakdown poisons by category. The authors mention both chemicals and heavy metals but lump them together in on subject of environment. Otherwise, the book is very informative and enlightening.
Sally
Feb 27, 2009 added it
Hmmm....Looks like something that's only going to make me MORE paranoid...

Well, I didn't get half way through it before it was due back at the library. I could have renewed, but... I didn't. It was well-written. But it was kind of making me feel somewhat hopeless. And like, no matter what one does, our environment is still harmful.
Jenny Robinson
Nov 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
The more I know the more psycho and paranoid I become about my life and family and the toxins that around us and harming our bodies. Educate yourself! This is a good read with lots of data and research!
Lillian Shuff
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book about an ongoing outrage leading to tragedy after tragedy. Everyone who cares about children should read this book and take action to protect those children, our planet and our future.
Jessica
May 14, 2009 rated it liked it
People have to be aware! I wish everyone would read this book.
Donzel
May 03, 2009 is currently reading it
Wow.
Jon
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this is a quality piece of scaremongering that I enjoyed reading, and I would recommend it to anyone--from those who are already scared an appropriate amount to those who are not yet scared at all.
Sallie Des Biens
A must read!!!
Erika
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an eye-opening expose of the growing amounts of toxins that we, especially our children, are being exposed to in daily life.
Brooke