Start by marking “Spot Goes to School” as Want to Read:
Spot Goes to School

Spot Goes to School

(Spot the Dog)

Celebrate summer with Spot and his friends in these brand-new lift-the-flap editions! Kids can still lift the flaps and learn with Spot, but now their favorite puppy will be featured in a colorful new design. For the first time since their publication, these three lift-the-flaps will have full-color covers and spines that display the titles and author's name.
Novelty Book, 24 pages
Published July 22nd 2004 by Warne (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Spot Goes to School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spot Goes to School

Start your review of Spot Goes to School
Well, reading this book at school is very fitting thing except I've lost how many times I've read it and would rather another Spot book to read..haha

So, yes...Spot goes to school...Just like non fuzzy animals he experiences what it's like in (I'm guessing) Kindy. He gets to sing (though he hides because he claims he can't sing), dress up, show and tell, build with blocks and a few other activities that happen daily at Kinder.

Simple story, simple illustrations...A story that will keep little ones
Shirley Revill
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A firm favourite in our family over the years.
Well thumbed and very much loved. Highly recommended for younger children.
Morgan Sparrow
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this to my nephew, and he was very concerned as to why Spot wasn’t socially distancing.
June
Sep 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Spot and school requests
Shelves: picture-book, dog, school
This was an extra book for story time as a special request. So Spot is still popular!
Jennifer B.
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable Spot book.
Harkiran
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book in EYFS. The character spot is recognisable for the children to relate to. I showed them the front cover and the back cover the author and illustrator. The children followed spots day at school. they saw who took spot to school. What did spot do at school, he painted; he played in the playground; he didnt take part in music because he didnt like it. In the end, Spot doesn't want to leave school because he has so much fun. This book was a lot of fun, the activity for the children ...more
Suzanne Kunz Williams
Such a fun and easy book for early readers. The lift the flaps are always popular at our house.

**Talking Points - Is it sometimes scary to do new things? There are tons of fun things to do in this world, and everything is new the first time you try it. What can you to that's new today that you think you might like?
Mygsasha
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This dog is afraid to go to school, but discovers that there is a site where you can have fun and make friends .
At the end will not want to go away and he will be happy telling his mother everything that has made there.
Good book for the beginner.
Courtney Kilbourn
I chose this book because it encourages to have fun in school and make lots of friends. Many children will recognize the dog and listen, some may even want to be like Spot in the book and make new friends in school. If I teach young students this will be a book I read to them.
Ruthie
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite spot book!!!!!!!!!!
Hilarie
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun to try to use my rusty Spanish. Ha! The pictures still made it easy for my daughter to follow the story. She really enjoyed it.
Sevi Sather
Oct 24, 2019 rated it did not like it
Native American style dress as a costume. This book did not age well.
Mehawish Batool
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good
Ahdeelah Hussain
Spot goes to school by Eric Hill
This book was about Spot the dog and his first day at school. Spot does a lot of different activities and enjoys his time. On each page you have to lift doors and look behind them to see what spot gets up too. This book is a great to read with early years as it engages children with Spots first day at school and how much fun he had. It enables practitioners and parents to read the book and discuss the different activities they participate in, along with preparing
Gizelle
In this book, it talks about a puppy who experiences his new first day of school. The author takes us along his journey through the many activities that Spot does while in his new class. He was scared at first but as he sees how the other kids played with him and how the teacher was very kind to him, he opened up and enjoyed it. This book is targeted to children from ages two to nine. The author uses big fonts for the child to recognize every alphabet.
The illustrator uses very bright colors t
Mia
Jan 17, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: read-in-2008
Opening the peek-a-boo flaps in this book with my 20-month-old charge was exciting. Under each flap was a little hidden surprise. Sadly, during music time Spot hides under a flap that, when lifted, reveals him saying, "I can't sing." No pre-schooler thinks he or she can't sing unless he or she is told that some people can't sing. Not being able to sing is a ridiculous idea that adults put into the heads of tiny children who may forever believe they lack an ability which they do not. Anyone who c ...more
Kimberley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a very good book to share with children who are new to school in nursery or reception. It will help children to overcome anxieties about starting school for the first time. Spot is a well known children's character so children are able to make a comparable link with him as they start out in school. This book would be good to read at the beginning of the academic year to help settle in new children. I would use this book at reading time as well as leaving it in the book corner so the ...more
Cai
Spot is now old enough to go to school but it is a new environment and he thinks he doesn't like school. That is until he begins to participate in the activities.

I loved the ending to this book. Spot has all this fun and when his parents how was school he responds with "okay". It is such a typical response from a kid. I had all this fun at school and my day was super awesome but I will tell everyone it was okay.

This was read to us at Babes'n'Books at our local library.

V @ 6 months old.
Faith Bailey
Aug 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: rdng-350
Spot is a puppy who has to attend school. At first, he is reluctant and does not like it one bit, but he finds out that there are many fun times to be had in the classroom.
I thought this was a cute book. I was not as entertained by it as I have been with other children's books.
In the classroom, this book could be used during the first weeks of school for obvious reasons. Some students are particularly resistant to school and need extra encouragement. This book shows the transition of Spot's ou
Simon
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was my favourite Spot book of all of them. I used to have ALL of these books and I read them a lot because I liked the pictures. When it became an animated thing, I lved it so much! I had the VHSs and watched them everyday. I don't know when I stopped or when I grew up from it, but this series has completely escaped my memory until just recently when I read the book: "1001 Children's Books you must read before you grow up".

I am glad to have had this in my life.
Ashley Peterson
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Spot Goes to School may be similar to the many books about the first day of school. It shows the anxiety that is experienced on the first day of school and the fun that can be had. But with fun characters and the interactive flaps, the child reading this book is able to really become enthralled and may even look forward to school themselves.
Anna
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
C enjoyed this book - he likes all the Spot books. I didn't like the part where Spot said he can't sing, and I wish C hadn't focused on that so much. It's another one of those 3 stars for me, 4 for C.
Lauren
I used to love this book as a little kid, and even though it's now a little too simple for me, it's still really cute. Either I or one of my sisters managed to ruin this copy, however, by tearing off the flaps. That does remove some of the fun.
Val
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
great series, better pop up book
SaraS.
Mar 05, 2009 added it
I read this when I was little
ABC
Mar 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger-kids
A cute lift-the-flap book.
Alexis Castner
Aug 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Used to love spot books as a lil kid :P
Linda
Sep 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Pre-K - 1
Shelves: pic-bk
This would be a great read-aloud to Pre-K. Want to see if Otto Goes to the Beach is just as good. If so, I might use it for summer reading discussions
Joseph
Feb 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Don't know how many times I've read this book but Joseph loves it.
Jessie
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone's favourite puppy goes to school.

• Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes
  • Baby Goes to Market
  • The Storm Whale
  • Halloween ABC
  • Franklin's Flying Bookshop
  • The Heart of a Whale
  • Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale (Knuffle Bunny, #1)
  • Fox's Socks
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Mum's New Hat (Read At Home: More Level 1C)
  • Silly Races (Read at Home, Level 1b)
  • How to Catch a Star (The Boy, #1)
  • Dragon Danger (Read At Home Level 3c)
  • Wombat Stew
  • Arctic Adventure (Read At Home: Level 4a)
  • Pig the Pug
  • How to Brush Your Teeth with Snappy Croc
Eric Gordon Hill OBE was a popular author and illustrator of children's picture books, best known for his character Spot the Dog. His works have been widely praised for their contributions to child literacy. He was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2008 New Year Honours.

Spot the Dog (1 - 10 of 158 books)
  • Where's Spot?
  • Spot Goes On Holiday
  • Spot Visits His Grandparents
  • Spot Goes to the Farm
  • Spot Loves His Daddy
  • Spot's Birthday Party
  • Good Night, Spot
  • Spot Goes to the Beach (color)
  • Spot Loves His Mum
  • Spot Goes to the Park (color)

News & Interviews