Start by marking “Itch!: Everything You Didn't Want to Know About What Makes You Scratch” as Want to Read:
Itch!: Everything You Didn't Want to Know About What Makes You Scratch

Itch!: Everything You Didn't Want to Know About What Makes You Scratch

Everybody gets itchy, and every kid will love this title that scratches the itch to know more and about the history, anatomy, botany, biology behind it. Perfect for fans of Grossology books looking for something more substantive and dynamic.

You can feel it coming on—that terrible, tortuous ITCH. As irritating as an itch is, it is also your body’s way of sending you a
Published March 13th 2018 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Itch!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Itch!

Start your review of Itch!: Everything You Didn't Want to Know About What Makes You Scratch
Sunday
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Glance at the skin on the back of your hand. Doesn't look like there's much going on there. But in one square inch of skin, there are about 500 sweat glands, 20 blood vessels, and 1,000 nerve endings. These nerves are incredibly sensitive: they let you feel a snowflake, a warm breeze--or a mosquito bite." p. 4

Sanchez knows her readers and facilitates a smooth conversation throughout the book. Ford's illustrations are playful, sometimes incorporating diagrams to explain a concept further. Check
Kyra Nay
From plants to fungus to animals, Sanchez explores some of the things that make us itch, combining human anatomy, history, and botany. Gilbert Ford’s exaggerated illustrations add humor to the text (e.g. a flea wearing athletic socks or bedbugs in a buffet line), although some child readers might be frustrated by their representational, rather than literal nature. Some of the transitions were abrupt or confusing and some of the illustrations were more distracting than helpful. But this is ...more
Alexa Hamilton
May 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: tween, non-fiction
Why do bugs and plants and other stuff make us itch? Because they are trying to protect themselves or we just happen to be allergic to them. It's a quick read with some great text features about how to treat your itchy self. Although just typing it now is making me itchy--I don't know how the author managed to write the book without soaking in an oatmeal bath. The book is illustrated by Gilbert Ford, with some realistic illustrations but a lot of interpretation of the bugs and animals discussed, ...more
Penny
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a really interesting book about itching and scratching and all the factors that cause it. The layout is engaging, fun and well illustrated. The target audience is upper elementary and middle schoolers.
emyrose8
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Well laid out, colorful. It was different than I expected. The first two pages talk about why you feel itchy; the rest of the book looks at specific things that make people itchy (bedbugs, mosquitoes, poison ivy, etc.), how to avoid the itch from those things, and how to soothe those itches. Useful information, didn't take a long time to read.
Lynn
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very informative and comprehensive look at the many things that make us itch from prickly pear cactus to lice to fungus. Sanchez explains the how, the why and and also ways to relieve those itchy feelings. Comic style illustrations and a breezy tone add fun to the topic.

Kids will love this!
PWRL
Jan 03, 2020 marked it as to-read
A
pati
Interesting book about all things itchy!
Maria Caplin
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Interesting facts...long text
Alejandro De
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-tracker
A little disturbing
informational about things that make you itch
great illustrations but some are nasty
Pam
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Informative text about why we itch. From bug bites to fungus to parasites, the author explains the science behind this.
Kathy Mathey
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting information told in a kid-friendly way...
Maryann
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Watch for my review in SLC!
Diana
Aug 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Fascinating! I learned way more than I ever thought I wanted to know about things that make me itch. I loved the inclusion of non-toxic options for dealing with itchy stuff.
Maddie Krull
Apr 17, 2018
Pam Garcia
Nov 15, 2018
Brenda Kahn
Terrific high-interest information book about everything that makes us itch!
Karen
Heather Stigall
Jun 14, 2019
Shauna Yusko
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Good info. Weird, high interest topic. Do you need it? Probably not, but fun to put on a summer reading list.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Her Fearless Run: Kathrine Switzer’s Historic Boston Marathon
  • We Are Grateful: Otsaliheliga
  • Uptown
  • Merci Suárez Changes Gears
  • The Boo-Boos That Changed the World: A True Story about an Accidental Invention (Really!)
  • Making Friends