Start by marking “Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)” as Want to Read:
Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)

Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  18,522 ratings  ·  1,777 reviews
Praised by New York Times bestselling author Lauren Myracle as “hilarious, moving and flat-out fun,” and Kirkus as a “pitch-perfect rendering … of the teen experience,” Ten Things I Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) has captured the hearts of critics and readers alike. Fans of Sarah Dessen, E. Lockhart, and Maureen Johnson will love this hilarious and heartwarming tale of ...more
Published June 6th 2017 by HarperTeen (first published June 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Things We Did, please sign up.
Sarah V Sex is discussed and so are STIs and other sexual health information. Condoms and the details of a birth control clinic visit are also mentioned. Sex…moreSex is discussed and so are STIs and other sexual health information. Condoms and the details of a birth control clinic visit are also mentioned. Sex is not graphically described. (less)

·  18,522 ratings  ·  1,777 reviews

Start your review of Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have)
Sita
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Meh, not really anyone
I actually put off reading this book for a while, I now know why. My subconscious mind was telling me it was not worth my time, but silly me I decided to read it. This book is okay, if you want to read it go ahead, if you were considering reading it and are sitting on the fence read it and don’t read it.

description

My advice, don’t. Not worth it, it wasn’t a bad book, but it wasn’t a good book either. It was mediocre.

description

What the book was about:

The book started with one of the last scenes, after a party, when
Jess (Gone with the Words)
Read this review on my blog! --> Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski

I really love this book! It was so funny and bittersweet and different that I wanted to do something different for it. So here it goes....

Ten Things I Loved (and you will love too)
1. Mermaid impressions while drunk.
2. Best friends who will lie to your parents for you.
3. Paying in installments.
4. The Hula.
5. Brothers. Especially ones named Hudson and Dean.
6. Donut.
7. Babysitters with
Emily May

Someone should burn this cover

Let's just say the very first thing that needs to be said: UK publishers, what the hell have you done to this book? What happened to the cute girl/boy chick-lit cover and, more importantly, what happened to the original title? The actual title - Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) - conveys the whole "ooh, we're so baaaaad for doing that, but it sure was fun!" that this book is pretty much all about. This UK imposter title fails to hit the joke. And
Tatiana
Feb 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2011

A very light, mindless, relaxing read.

April's dad is planning to move to another state in the middle of her junior high year. Using some creative negotiating (=lying) April convinces him to let her stay with her best friend Vi to finish school, with no parental supervision. Partying, drinking, skipping school and hooking up ensue...

Contrary to the blurb, I didn't find Ten Things We Did to be particularly funny. Or daring. Or romantic. Or profound.

The story tries to touch upon the
Sandra
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could sum up this book in one word: HILARIOUS!
I had a whole lot of fun reading this.
It was crazy.
Everything they did was crazy.
Maybe that was the reason I had fun reading it.
I didn’t do the things they did when I was their age.
I wouldn’t do it even if I could.
You guys must be curious why I found this book so entertaining.

April’s dad just blurred out one day that they were going to move to Ohio.
Devastated April didn’t want to move to Ohio.
She didn’t want to leave her friends.
Her school.
She didn
Aj the Ravenous Reader
It's okay- a quick read. It's almost the same as watching a teen flick. The writing is plain and direct. It's just like reading the diary of a 16 year old rich teenage girl. The narrator says anything she wants to say and there are several times I got really annoyed over her silly repetitions but I guess it's just but appropriate for the character so I have no huge qualms about the writing style. I liked it just enough and I think it's adequately enjoyable for its genre.
OceMei Belikova♥
one point for the cover,
one point for the title,
and two points for the nice story.

This story gave a lot of knowledges to me, such as :
1. Don't easily give away your virginity to everyone.

I don't know why but me and the book have truly different preception in the meaning of virginity and sex. I vote for sex after marriage. For me, losing our virginity means to give the best to our husband in the first night after we get married, not before marriage, or the worst is we gave it to our boyfriend
Cheyla
Jul 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had its good points and its bad points. I definitely do NOT recommend for kids under 15, and I'm saying that as a 14 year old.

MY SYNOPSIS:

What is this book about? Well, love, sure. There's romance. But its not just that-- there's more to it than just girl-likes-boy-but-girl-has-boyfriend.
April is faced with a crisis when her Dad announces that they're moving to Cleveland. She's got everything she's ever wanted where she already lives. A sweet boyfriend, great friends-- which is
Zoë
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hahaha! This book was so cheesy and kind of all over the place, but I had a great time reading it! It's a quick read (especially the second half) and I laughed out loud several times!
Arlene
Jun 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Booker Tour - Crystal
Rating Clarification: 3.5 Stars

No one is perfect, but we all do the best we can. I guess you have to forgive when you can, move on when you can’t, and love your family and friends for who they are instead of punishing them for who they aren’t.

4 girls, 3 guys, 1 cat, 1 hula tub, 1 crazy school year and 0 parents = 10 things April did and probably shouldn’t have. Despite this story being highly unrealistic, I found it engaging and pretty funny. There were times where I wanted April to just get
Alyssa
I so eagerly awaited Ten Things We Did. And honestly, I was more than a little disappointed. Mlynowski gave the teenagers in her book a bad reputation, and I know for sure that I won’t be picking up anything else of hers any time soon.

I get that this book was supposed to be funny, what with its unrealistic situations and one-liners. I get where Mlynowski was going, but the way she approached her subject made me disgusted and appalled.

Before I get to April, who wins the Stupidest Character of
Carol Royce Owen
Feb 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Got this for like 99 cents on my Kindle back a few months ago, and now I know why it was so cheap. I really hate books that make adults out to be complete idiots, and that's exactly what this book does. It also glorifies casual sex and drinking between underaged teens, lying to parents and getting away with it, and pretty much every other stereotype expected of youth today. Yeah, teenage girls will probably love this book, but I won't be recommending it to any of them.
Crystal
Dec 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
I don’t know what to really say about this one. I liked it, but I really wanted so much more. I think the beginning and the end were great, but the middle needed more “oh I am so going to be dead when my Dad finds out” stuff. I guess it was just more realistic than I thought it would be which is not necessarily a bad thing mind you.
The story is about April, a junior in High School who just finds out that her Dad, with whom she lives with, has decided to move with his new wife to another state.
Michael
On the surface, April is living every teenager's dream. When he's transferred to Cleveland, her father allows April to live with her good friend, Vi and finish out the year at school. She's got a great boyfriend and they're finally ready to take their relationship to the next level.

Of course, in reality things are slightly different. April soon finds out that her visions of wild parties, endless freedom and lots of time canoodling with the boyfriend are in sharp contrast to the realities of
Megan Haynes
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Megan by: Codi Rogers
Shelves: best-of-the-best
K.
Trigger warnings: parental neglect, pet related emergency, (view spoiler).

So here's the thing: I never had particularly high hopes for this book. But sometimes you just need a fluffy contemporary book to speed through, and this fit the bill nicely.

This is...yeah, it's a prime example of why teenagers need adult supervision. It's a prime example of why teenagers shouldn't be allowed to make major decisions. It's a prime example of why you
♥ Sarah
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Confession: I’ve had this book for YEARS. I’d bought it on a whim and then completely lost interest. Maybe it was the bubblegum cover (so not cute, btw), or the description, or even the title. Who knows? For some reason, I was under the impression that this was going to be a breezy, fluffy read.

That it was not.

From what I’ve seen thus far, it seems like people are criticizing this book for being “all about sex” and then condemning the message the author purportedly conveyed via the sex plot.
Zey
I can only describe my feelings about this book in 4 words: I am not impressed.

To be fair, Ten things we did (and probably shouldn't have), is a light read, perfect on a lazy week end, while you are sipping a lemonade under the sun. Which didn't happen in my case. I decided to read it at 12 in the midnight because I couldn't sleep. Yep, insomnia's such a bitch. Well, maybe that will explain my less than stellar review of this book. Or maybe this book is just disappointing.

I had this book for a
Lisa
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: y-a
This was entertaining. It was like a Sarah Dessen novel with more personality.

I enjoyed the characters. (view spoiler)
Diana
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5
I really enjoyed this. It was so cute and funny that I couldn't stop smiling. It is perfect for summer days <3
But, I also wanted the relationship between April and Hudson to be more developed.
Susane Colasanti
This relentlessly entertaining story offers an authentic perspective on freedom, friendship, and first love. The perfect summer read!
Princess Bookie
Oct 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2011
My Thoughts: I haven't read anything else by Mlynowski but I hear she has some great books! We are introduced to April who lives with her father and his new wife. Her mother and little brother moved to Paris to be with a guy her mother met. They wanted April to come with but she decided she'd rather stay and live with her dad so she could stay around her friends and boyfriend. Things have been ok for her. She's happy. Until one day her Dad announces they are moving to Ohio! April says "NO NO NO" ...more
Katie
NUMBER ONE: (view spoiler)

NUMBER TWO: I guess I am "horrified by the action of teenagers" years old. THIS IS SO BAD.

NUMBER THREE: The book tried to go too deep at times. Like, maybe I am just too dense, but I didn't get that April was feeling all abandoned or that Vi was a control freak. So those things felt a bit out of the blue.

It was pretty engaging, though.
YA Reads Book Reviews
Ten Things We Did looks and sounds like a light-hearted, fun, easy read. It promises to appeal to fans of authors like Susane Colasanti, Sarah Dessen, and Lauren Myracle. But Sarah Mlynowski doesn’t quite deliver on that promise. Ten Things is a light, fun read, but the plot and characters are unrealistic. When April’s dad decides to move to Cleveland, she opts to move in with her friend Vi rather than uproot herself. Only thing is, April’s dad would freak if he found out Vi’s mom won’t be ...more
Glire
Me ha encantado la manera en que está escrito este libro: la narrativa es relajada, divertida y ligeramente irónica.

THREE MONTHS EARLIER
“How would you like to finish high school in Cleveland?” my dad asked me out of nowhere during Christmas break of junior year.
Fine. Maybe it wasn’t completely out of nowhere.

THREE MONTHS, ONE MINUTE, THIRTY SECONDS EARLIER
“April, can you sit down? We need to talk to you about an important issue.”

La trama no es sumamente original pero está bien desarrollada,
Sandy
Apr 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-for-me
Pretty much the entire plot of this book revolves around sex. Oh, and lying to your parents in a major way for an extended period of time. Add a lot of heavy drinking and partying into the mix, and that's this book.

The circumstances and the behavior of the adults and teens are just too unbelievable. I felt like I was reading about a wild sorority house in college instead of a bunch of 16-year-olds. (Yeah, I'm supposed to believe these high schoolers fool their parents into letting them live
Jessica
Reading this book is kind of like watching a couple episodes of Keeping up with the Kardashians. Was it entertaining? Yeah. Did I learn anything or feel mentally enhanced after reading it? Definitely not. If time-consuming mindless fluff is what you're going for, then check this out. I wasn't expecting anything deep going into this, so I'm not disappointed, but it still isn't worthy of a super high rating, but it was humorous and feel-good, so I'll meet in the middle at 3 stars.
Nic
Rating: 3.5 stars

A fun and entertaining read. Sometimes the characters drove me crazy and some characters like Hudson there wasn't enough of. Full review coming very soon.

Thanks to Crystal for sharing her copy. You are the best
Erin W

7) Everything made me laugh
8) Every ties up, perfect resolutions
9) Realistic characters
10) The writing

I have been dying to read this book for so long and thank goodness once I picked it up, I was not disappointed. To get this out of the way, a book can be so

• Not That Kind of Girl
  • Close Your Eyes
  • Tangled
  • The Promise of Amazing
  • The Last Little Blue Envelope (Little Blue Envelope, #2)
  • Love & Luck (Love & Gelato, #2)
  • How to Be Bad
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Same Difference
  • Hot Dog Girl
  • The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1)
  • The Shortest Distance Between Love & Hate
  • 99 Days
  • Beauty's Daughter: The Story of Hermione and Helen of Troy
  • Ashes to Ashes (Burn for Burn, #3)
  • All the Invisible Things
  • Sometimes It Happens
  • This Is Not a Love Scene
Sarah was born in Montreal, Canada. After graduating with an honors degree in English literature from McGill University, she moved to Toronto to work for Harlequin Enterprises. While she never met Fabio, she used her romance publishing experiences to fuel her first novel Milkrun.

Since then, Sarah has written four additional novels for adults: Fishbowl, As Seen on TV, Monkey Business, and
“I love you: You imagine hearing the words from someone not related to you, someone not your best friend, but when someone you love, someone you dream about, actually says them, it makes your body melt and your breath get caught in your chest.” 140 likes
“Sometimes you don't need lightning to start a fire. Sometimes, it builds on its own.” 84 likes