Start by marking “The Threat of Madness (The Lost Prophecy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Threat of Madness (The Lost Prophecy, #1)

The Threat of Madness

(The Lost Prophecy #1)

The arrival of the mysterious Magi, along with their near invincible guardians, signals a change. For Jakob, apprentice historian, and son of a priest longing for adventure, it begins an opportunity.

Published January 3rd 2017 by ASH Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Threat of Madness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Threat of Madness

Start your review of The Threat of Madness (The Lost Prophecy, #1)
Ciarra
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Frustrating

I'm just as confused at the end of the book as I was in the beginning. After reading the reviews for the next in the series, I'm done! It's okay to have SOME mystery in the storyline, but does every character have to be mysterious? No explanations for any of the main characters powers. NONE. Even the so called God's are confused by him. Everything is a secret that no one else can know, including the reader.
David McBride
Sep 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
[Minor Spoilers]

This book, and the subsequent two books (which is as far as I got in this seven-part irritation-fest) are just plain bad. Bad bad bad.

I'll give the author this- his writing style is competent. But his characters are paranoid, secretive idiots. I have no idea how many times I've read the phrase 'but he kept that to himself' or 'but they couldn't possibly help with that, so he didn't tell them'. This absolute refusal to share information keeps his characters locked in ignorance,
Jessica Pandit
Oct 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Confusing

I found it confusing. And it took me almost halfway through to even start to care about the characters. Everything is a mystery. To much so for my taste.
Shelley Watson
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting, but difficult to get into at first

It took me a while to start enjoying this book, as I found it quite difficult to get into originally. I'm glad I persevered as it ended up being a decent read. Will look to continue reading the series.
Tomas K.
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
~85%.
I'd advise reading Teralin Sword series before this. Even though the gap seems to be like 20-30 years, it explains a lot of background for the world and characters. Without it, I'd probably need more time to understand everything (and the rating would be 5 or 10% lower).
---
Good story, even though it can get a bit confusing at times. While it seems that the Desmahne might be the main problem, especially as they are seen within the groups of raiders attacking through the lands, there are more
Stephen
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When his home is attacked, Jakob starts a journey that will take him far from home and everything he has ever known. Studying with a new swordmaster, he gains surprising skill, but also strange new abilities that make him fear the madness which has claimed so many has come to him. He must withstand
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Tough slog

The book was free and the author must have paid facebook a Ton to advertise his stuff all over my feed. I slogged through the morass of madness and mystery to the end, finding myself still unenlightened and annoyed at the world. All the bouncing around in visions and being the Super Special Dude with a mysterious sword thay gets sent on a mission... slightly annoying. And don't get me started on the Magi who hold themselves aloof and barely share information within their own ranks...
Andru
Nov 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-finished

Ian Hall
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The characters are interesting and easy to like. The storyline is intriguing and has lots of possibilities for the next book. The main character baffles me I like him and I enjoyed reading about him but what happens to him I can't understand is he a God ? there where bits that suggested that he shared conceisness or power with a God. And what about those dreams and the weirdness of his powers ? I can honestly say I have no idea what is going on but I'm happy to read the ...more
Katherine Callahan
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the start to an amazing series. D. K. Holmberg has created a fantastic story with a protagonist that learns and grows in a very believable way, and is filled with colorful and captivating characters. The world created here is involved and complex and always pulls the reader deeper and deeper into the story... wanting to find out what's going to happen next. I've just finished the eighth book in the series and each book simply gets better and better. I would definitely give the whole ...more
Zachary
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
All around a really good book. Awesome characters, what they showed of the magic system was also cool, and the all around story was excellent. I did have a bit of an issue with how secretive the characters were. I could understand and justify most of it, but there were times when it was completely unnecessary and actually made life a lot harder for the characters, for seemingly no purpose. That is my only real complaint.
MEG Munro
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
GREAT STORY

This book has many secrets and I believe they are deep seeded. The author has a way of weaving in and out about these secrets and he does it very well.
The characters, as you get to know them, are special people. The bad entities are rising into power with little resistance. The main characters (good guys) have to worry about being infiltrated along with all the other issues. Who can they trust?
Lori Salsbury
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Nothing was catching my interest. I kept thinking that these magi would end up being the explanation, but apparently not. Apparently there is no explanation to be given according to too many other reviewers.
I shall waste no more time here.
This book goes on my very short Cant Force Myself to Finish shelf!!
Javier Medero
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well thought out world and story.

A great deal of depth to the characters. Alot of detail given in a manner that leaves you with even more questions than you started with. Looking forward to next book. Writing style has matured and deepened from other series, which were quite good too but this series has the potential to surpass them all.
Arya
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
James Johnston
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
In to book #2!

The first book in tbe series is well written, intriguing, ans got me involved right away. I am not a big fan of polytheism, so I am wondering where this is going. This has been one of the better written tales that I have read in a long time.
b. binaohan
May 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book had the same problem as the _Dark Ability_ series, namely the MC does a lot of angsting about stuff and is generally super annoying.

At least, though, I was able to actually finish this book. Not sure if I'll bother with the rest of the series, though.
Chanel
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lot of world building but worth the wait. The beginning is a little confusing but by the middle of the book, it's understood. Good book overall.
Richard Sutton
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good story

I enjoyed the book. I Will continue to read the story. I returned to the story without interruption. I wanted more story at the end of the book.
Brian Peltz
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love the character building and relationships. Well written and keeps you turning pages well past bed time. Holmberg is one of my new favorites.
MaxOnline
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked all books in the "Lost Prophecy" series.
Interesting characters coupled with a gripping storyline.
Jolie
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love this fantasy

Great characters. Not a fresh plot but new characters and say of telling the classic good verses evil story. Fun read
Melissa Burovac
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Fairly confusing, with every character keeping secrets from every other character - didn't make the story intriguing, I was just tired of being out of the loop. I liked the main character but am not going to read more in the series. This book might have been great if gone over by an editor for both repetitive information and lots of grammar issues.
Charlie Bryant
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book.

Good book good read.
Start to finish was easy to read good character development story line flows easy.
Must read.
m weir
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book

In fact I have already started the second. Gripping story for fantasy enthusiasts. Looking forward to the rest of the series
Galen Rice
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read.

Was a good read. Slow at times but always picked up. Cant wait to read more and see where it leads.
Joe
Mar 11, 2017 is currently reading it
An exciting story in a great world with fantastic characters that mesh well and each scene flows into the next, and before I knew it, I read the three in the series back to back in two days. I like a book I can't put down. I did find discrepancies the beta readers should have caught, but not critical to the story. A great read by an author who has not disappointed me yet.
Deb Eilts
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun read

Like the character development as well as the story line. Lucky for me the next book in the series has been published
Roxanne C Bender
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intriguing and magnetic!

I usually know by the second or third chapter before deciding if the storyline greets me like a new adventure or as a practice in reading.
After several pages I was snagged and the hook sank in! It was often, after a few sentences, that I had missed a chapter change (my way of taking a break to stretch) and continued to the next. Do I recommend this book? Yes. But know this... I am taking a break to stretch, snack and begin Book 2 of The Lost Prophecy series!
Jodi
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adventure!

Kept me up late reading, couldn't put it down. Now I find myself hurrying through this review so I can grab book 2 and get back into the story right away!

• The Call of the Sylvana (The Sylvan Chronicles, #2)
  • Ahren: The 13th Paladin (Volume I)
  • The Raptor of the Highlands (The Sylvan Chronicles, #3)
  • PrimeVerse: Forced Login
  • The Legend of the Kestrel (The Sylvan Chronicles, #1)
  • Echoes of a Fallen Kingdom (The Stalwart Link #1)
  • The Dragon Marked Chronicles: The Dragon Sage
  • The Akorell Break (The Mortal Mage #2)
  • Flight of the Dragon Knight (The Dragon Knight, #3)
  • A Crumble of Walls (The Kin of Kings Book 4)
  • Dark: Fearless Pioneer (Dark LitRPG book 1)
  • A Sellsword's Compassion (The Seven Virtues #1)
  • A Bridge of Realms (The Stalwart Link #2)
  • A Sellsword's Resolve (The Seven Virtues #3)
  • A Sellsword's Wrath (The Seven Virtues #2)
  • Azyl Academy (Elemental Gatherers, #1)
  • Awaken (The Mortal Mage #1)
  • Journey Through the River Cities (The Memory Stone, #1)

The Lost Prophecy (8 books)
  • The Warrior Mage (The Lost Prophecy, #2)
  • Tower of the Gods (The Lost Prophecy, #3)
  • Twist of the Fibers (The Lost Prophecy, #4)
  • The Lost City (The Lost Prophecy, #5)
  • The Last Conclave (The Lost Prophecy #6)
  • The Gift of Madness (The Lost Prophecy, #7)
  • The Great Betrayal (The Lost Prophecy, #8)