Start by marking “The Art of Witty Banter: Be Clever, Be Quick, Be Interesting - Create Captivating Conversation” as Want to Read:

Think quickly on your feet: be smooth, funny, and clever – all at once. Goodbye awkward silences, hello conversational agility!
No matter where you lie on the spectrum of awkward to engaging, witty banter is always the end goal – and it should be. Witty banter, and all the steps that lead to it, allows you to (1) disarm and connect with anyone, (2) immediately exit boring
Published November 19th 2016 by Plain Key Media

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Witty Banter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Witty Banter

Marek Unt
Feb 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Not witty.
Anderkent
Jun 30, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dropped
The book unfortunately is neither witty, quick, nor captivating.
Annie
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's more about being a good conversationalist versus being witty. Still, there are some good tips like having topics and stories prepared much like you would have answers prepared for a job interview. Some suggestions include a list ("resume") of unique experiences, interesting accomplishments, interesting things that happened that week, recent fun weekends, opinions on top cultural news, and funny facts about your hometown. Another good tip is to not throw out compliments randomly. Observe wha ...more
Steven Ngo
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fantastic!

One of the better books that I read from Patrick King. His last chapter on witty comebacks was golden. Wished he elaborated on that chapter a bit more. Next book perhaps?
Russ
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
The title is misleading. Only the final couple of chapters deal with wit. Most of the book is about preventing lulls in conversations and avoiding mistakes in chit chat.

The book starts off with several acronyms that serve as guides to respond to comments that other people make. This was the weakest part of the book, because it's too hard to remember the acronyms, and even if you did, the potential responses are either predictable are nebulous.

The book picks up later on. It makes the suggestion t
Chris Esposo
Jan 09, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Far from being a guide to repartee, 3/4 if this "book" reads like something out of a free pick up artist pdf guide. I've yet to find an audible book less than 4 hours that's worth what I paid for it unless it was free, and this has not broken those expectations. Yet, like a schmuck playing the markets, I keep buying these penny stocks, hoping profundity will be gotten in 2 hours or less.

Although the author defined wit several times and lays out some fairly trivial ground rules of how one can dem
Garrett Rodgers
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Little Black Book of Wit

I've been described as "charming" and "witty," but could never articulate why. This book describes, quite efficiently, several principles that earn those accolades when practiced. It's quick and enjoyable to read, so I will be recommending it to friends and colleagues.
Ryan Watkins
This is a great book for improving your social skills. Clear, concise, and can be easily read in one sitting. The title could be misleading though. Only the last few chapters deal with witty banter. Most of the book pertains to being a better conversationalist. Recommended especially for the chapter on derailing one’s train of thought.
Justin Cramer
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a quick read that does a good job of helping you organize what you probably already know about what makes a good conversation. From pulling a conversation from the brink of collapse to tips on when joking is, and is not, appropriate this book covers all the basics.

I will most likely read this book again in a few years.
Eileen
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Although this book is limited in the art of witty banter, I thought its basic conversational advice was generally good, with the exception of perhaps the "thought experiment"--an approach to creating and asking someone's thoughts on hypothetical and generally serious scenarios--which I felt would only be appropriate and welcomed when used with those who are already close (in which case initiating engaging conversation should already hopefully not be an issue).

(Sidenote: evaluated for student re
george obare
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great for the brass tacks of convo

Easy read with good tactics. Chapters arranged for getting the quick and dirty of easy daily conversation. Like the concept of listening as part of a good conversationalist. Get it and grow it.
Tara
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Good introduction to conversation skills

Some good information. I rated this book with 3 stars because I felt like most of the ideas could have been summed up in less categories. The book was longer than it needed to be for the information that it contained
Elliot
Jun 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Ridiculous

No Stars. Don't buy it. Utter rubbish. The only content in it about trying to be witty are the most obvious, usless things that a nine year old would know. Complete waste of time
Peter Jensen
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gook book to learn well how to break the ice with anyone
Sally Sharamitaro
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Finished this book Jan 9 2018
Nancy
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. I liked that it was short. Other than that, it often read like it had been translated (badly) into English from another language, or that the author was not a native English speaker.
The Wandering Bibliophile
Not witty at all. Most of the conversational ideas and examples he gives are rather unimaginative and downright lame.
Natalie
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: newly-read-2018
basically “get good and keep a cheat sheet”
Val Connell
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Incorrect choice of title. Only three titles relate to it. The content is good but it’s directed to the wrong audience.
Vincent
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Just alright, ended up getting rid of it. The title drew me in is all.
Ruth
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
meh
Dustan Woodhouse
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-dev
Perhaps a more important read for the ESL crowd. Not so much for those of us that grew up in the era of Seinfeld.
Angel Perez
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
easy, fast read

I'm happy for the book. Concise and perfect before the Holidays. Perfect also for any awkward friends you may have.
Kathy
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not bad. It's really just about being a good conversationalist. I know a couple people who could benefit from the "what not to do" chapters. Overall, some good info.
Ignas
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Short read, but felt that it should be even shorter. Too much bla bla bla in many chapters. Maybe because it's not a first book I read on this topic, this one didn't gave much. In general I would sag the summary given at the end of the book (about 10 pages) was all I needed from it :) Would recommend get the classic book "how to win friends" and forget this one.
Raza
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Digging this book

I just got through this book and it has some really good advice. I like how he shares childhood stories to illustrate his points.

The chapter on witty comebacks is my favorite. Buy this book and read that chapter. I'm sure it'll be your favorite too.
Candice
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Helpful. Even if you're already a good conversationalist (as I like to think I am) , you may still take away something useful.
Mark Stapel
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
David Lubin
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Didn't learn too much new.
Juniper Dempsey
rated it did not like it
Sep 20, 2017

• Being Leaders: The Nature of Authentic Christian Leadership
  • Reallionaire: Nine Steps to Becoming Rich from the Inside Out
  • Miracle of Mind Dynamics
  • Angel Tech: A Modern Shaman's Guide to Reality Selection
  • Knowledge of Self: A Collection of Wisdom on the Science of Everything in Life
  • Character Analysis
  • Leaders Who Last
  • H3 Leadership: Be Humble. Stay Hungry. Always Hustle.
  • Thick Face, Black Heart: The Asian Path to Thriving, Winning & Succeeding
  • The Five Rules for Successful Stock Investing: Morningstar's Guide to Building Wealth and Winning in the Market
  • Insight Meditation: A Psychology of Freedom
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • How to Lead When You're Not in Charge: Leveraging Influence When You Lack Authority
  • How to Argue & Win Every Time: At Home, At Work, In Court, Everywhere, Everyday
  • You Can If You Think You Can
“As quickly as possible, write three associations for that word. Take the last word you came up with, and then as quickly as possible, write three associations for that new word. Repeat three times, and then move to the next set of words.   Napkin        -> table, spoon, fine dining. Fine dining -> France, Michelin Star, butler. Butler          -> Jeeves, white gloves, Michael Jackson. And so on.   Practicing” 0 likes
“1.                 5 unique experiences 2.                 5 most interesting accomplishments 3.                 5 greatest accomplishments 4.                 5 interesting things that happened that week – the more recent, the better 5.                 Your 3 most interesting weekends in the past 2 months 6.                 Your opinion about the top 10 current events or pop culture news 7.                 5 things you like to do in your free time and why 8.                 3 facts about your career or job that would be interesting to a layperson 9.                 1 funny fact about your hometown, your childhood, and your teenage years 10.            3 most embarrassing/funny moments from the past year 11.            5 pieces of evidence to support the impression you want to convey (if you want to convey an outdoorsy and rugged impression, what are 5 experiences or desires to support that?)   You” 0 likes