Start by marking “Arrowood” as Want to Read:

(Arrowood #1)

Paperback, US cover, 363 pages
Published July 18th 2017 by MIRA (first published March 23rd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Arrowood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arrowood

Maria Hill AKA MH Books
So I have finished my Easter Book. An anti-Sherlock Holmes set in 1895 London at the height of the notorious detective’s fame. The tagline on the book is "London Society takes its problems to Sherlock Holmes. Everyone else goes to Arrowood."

Arrowood and his very capable assistant Norman Barnett investigate the seedy underside of London. Cases are brought to a conclusion (not solved) using hard graft, illegal means when necessary, amateurish psychology and a lot of luck (both bad and good). This
Emma
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Drunken and bitter about the 'undeserved' notoriety of Homes and Watson, this detective is not what you'd expect. He is, in fact, rather unappealing and despite the various successes in his past, i'm not sure i'd trust him to investigate any case of mine. Even more so because that would mean I was stuck in the midden that is south London in 1895. Suffice it to say that the author does particularly well at imagining this dank, dangerous, and decidedly underclass world. The criminals that stalk th ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I just can't resist reading a book that is set in the same time as Sherlock Holmes. And, the book did seem really promising with Arrowood being the poor man's Sherlock Holmes. However, I had some problems with the story. First, with Arrowood himself and his Sherlock envy. I mean his alias is Locksher and he can't seem to be able to deal with Sherlock Holmes being so popular. Several times does he rant about that. And, it was irritating, and it didn't get better as the story progressed. Thankfull ...more
Keith Currie
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Down south, London town

In South London in the 1890s, William Arrowood is fat and bald (‘a potato of a man’), physically unfit, exhibits problems with alcohol consumption and has a pathological aversion to Sherlock Holmes. For various reasons Arrowood finds himself a private investigator; like Holmes he has an assistant, a working class tough with a sensitive interior called Norman Barnett. Arrowood professedly bases his deductive methods on a study of the minds of those involved in his cases. Th
Nick T. Borrelli
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Click here to see my official review for Fresh Fiction:

The Lit Bitch
I absolutely love the tagline of this book: London Society takes their problems to Sherlock Holmes. Everyone else goes to Arrowood.

That totally caught my eye when I was scanning Netgalley in search of new books to read this summer. An anti-Sherlock Holmes sounded refreshing and new. I have been watching the TV show Sherlock (which if you haven’t watched it, go right now to Netflix and start!) and I love the modern take on it, so I thought that something like an anti-Sherlock read would be compli
Ana M.
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: euroaventura
Siento que llevo una eternidad con esta lectura. Esperaba algo al estilo Sherlock Holmes, siendo que además ocurre en la misma época, pero ha sido dar vueltas y más vueltas a lo mismo una y otra vez. Hay un cóctel entre los fenianos, Sherlock e incluso Jack el destripador que no llega a sacarle provecho por intentar juntar todo en un mismo libro. El Inspector Arrowood no ha estado mal como personaje, me recordó un poco a Backstrom y Barnett no ha logrado convencerme del todo.
Blaire Benson
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
OK. So... I did not really like this book. I see what Finlay was trying to do here, but it just didn't work.
1) Arrowood is the discount, cheaply-made version of Sherlock Holmes. He is the Dollar General of private investigators. He is gross. Sweaty, fat, balding, farts all the time, messes around with prostitutes... He is cocky and always acting superior to Sherlock Holmes and most everyone else. He is not a likable character. In fact, I happen to dislike him very much.
2) The person who does a
Noodles78
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fancy a Sherlock Holmes without all the smugness? Possibly when things don't seem to be all that easy? When he's struggling to pay rent and buy food?

Well meet Arrowood.

What he lacks in manners and respectability he certainly makes up in diligence and brainpower.

What I loved most about this was the fact that Arrowood wasn't perfect, he made mistakes and got emotionally involved, was led by his heart, was down on his luck and had an extremely bossy sister.
He was believable, and likeable, terribl
Stewart Tame
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won a free ARC of this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I like to think that it didn't affect my opinion in the slightest, but, hey: full disclosure. Anyone who thinks that sending me a free copy of their book will guarantee a cushy review is encouraged to try.

The tagline on the front cover is too good to be improved upon: "London society takes its problems to Sherlock Holmes. Everyone else goes to Arrowood." William Arrowood is not Sherlock Holmes. In his eyes, Holmes is a fraud who solves his c
Lauren Stoolfire
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Eh, not bad, but give me Sherlock Holmes any day. Sorry Arrowood.

Aoife
3-3.5 stars

I received a free copy of this book from Harper Collins in exchange for an honest review.

It’s London 1894 and while Sherlock Holmes’ cases fill the headlines, another private investigator called Arrowood helps the people who can’t pay for the likes of Holmes. When Arrowood and his assistant Mr Barnett are put o the case of a missing Frenchman, they end up embroiled in something a lot more dangerous than it seems.

This is a fun, historic mystery novel set in the grimy streets of London
Taylor
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
For those Londoners unable to afford the services of Sherlock Holmes, there is William Arrowood. Arrowood is contemptuous of the methods employed by his more famous rival, preferring rather to use the new psychology in his investigations. In this novel, presumably the first of a series, Arrowood and his assistant Barnett are hired by a young woman to find her brother. Their investigation leads them into London's criminal underbelly and the initial mystery turns into several.

I love a good Victor
Yv
Mar 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arrowood is een detective die zijn gemoedstoestand behoorlijk door collega Sherlock Holmes laat beïnvloeden. Hij vindt het belachelijk dat deze speurneus alle zaken wegkaapt terwijl hij helemaal niet goed weet waar hij mee bezig is. Dat Arrowood zelf een tikkeltje lui is, heeft daar volgens hem natuurlijk niets mee te maken. Op een dag komt Caroline bij Arrowood op bezoek en vraagt hulp omdat haar broer is vermist. Arrowood en zijn hulpje, Mr. Barnes, duiken op het mysterie...

Mick Finlay neemt d
Gram
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
William Arrowood is a private detective and London's "alternative" to Sherlock Holmes whose clients are mostly the city's wealthier classes. Arrowood and his assistant Barnett are asked by a mysterious young Frenchwoman to find her brother who's missing after working for Mr Cream, one of London's nastiest crime lords.
Barnett is the narrator as Arrowood - who despises Sherlock Holmes - employs the writings of Darwin and the sheer force of his not very nice personality to question a number of peo
Sue Smith
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, although there were times that I wondered why it was titled the way it was. Although the story is loosely arranged around the character, it is not really focused on him as per se and we, as the reader, get a much better view of Arrowood's assistant as he is the one the story flows through.

Arrowood was a contemporary of Sherlock Holmes and he also happened to call himself an investigative detective but he didn't have the glitz and press of Holmes, nor the connections. He just
Ken
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst the rich rely on Sherlock Holmes to solve their cases, the rest of London turn to William Arrowood - a self-taught psychologist and occasional drunk.

Arrowood resents Holmes popularity, he firmly believes that he's a media darling due to Watson only publishing stories that show Holmes in a good light.

I loved how grumpy Arrowood is, with him constantly being critical of Holmes.
The story as a real grubby realism to it, the poorest side of London was perfectly realized.

The story was very ente
Samantha Ralph
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book.

I love Sherlock Holmes and various Gaslight Fiction ion, but I couldn't get into this. The plot became pretty muddy towards the middle, trying to add too many sub plots and secondary characters that I had trouble keeping sight of the main case.

I really liked the dialogue between Arrowood and Barnett but got lost in the details
Ascari Vau
“Arrowood” machte mich ehrlich gestanden wegen seines Covers neugierig. Die Silhouette des Herrn mit Zylinder und Stock und der Zusatz “In den Gassen von London” ließen mich auf einen Krimi schließen, der im historischen London spielt :). Der Klappentext tat dann sein Übriges dazu, mich zu überzeugen, diesem Buch eine Chance zu geben.

Der Klappentext:

Privatdetektiv William Arrowood ist ein Mann vieler Talente – und einiger Laster. Die Tagelöhner und Straßenmädchen im armen South London können sic
Anneke van dijken
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bij het zien van de schitterende cover van Arrowood van Mick Finlay kan je alleen maar verwachten dat je een verhaal gaat lezen in de stijl van Sherlock Holmes. Of dat ook zo is mag je zelf gaan bepalen.
Het is een verhaal dat je van het begin tot het eind bezig houdt. Als je er eenmaal in begint, kan je niet meer stoppen met lezen. Je wilt weten hoe het verder gaat, of een bepaald persoon wordt gevonden en of de genoemde daders worden gepakt. Elk hoofdstuk eindigt zo, dat je direct het volgende
Sandra Uv
2,5/5

Arrowood ha sido una novela negra con tintes históricos que me ha decepcionado mucho. Me ha costado horrores acabarla y me he aburrido durante todo el proceso. La idea es buena pero está muy desaprovechada. No me ha llegado a enganchar en ningún momento y sus personajes no me han dicho nada. Una novela que no ha sido para mi, me ha dejado muy indiferente. No seguiré con el resto de la saga.

“La guerra ha llegado, se libra en nuestras callejuelas.”

Reseña completa:

-Wordpress: https://suenosent
Cindy
Mar 28, 2018 added it
Shelves: 2018, abandoned
Unpleasant main character, didn't like it enough to finish.
Jo
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
by Mick Finlay
Synopsis
The Afghan War is over and a deal with the Irish appears to have brought an end to sectarian violence, but Britain's position in the world is uncertain and the gap between rich and poor is widening. London is a place where the wealthy party while the underclass are tempted into lives of crime, drugs and prostitution. A serial killer stalks the streets. Politicians are embroiled in
Stephanie
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Arrowood, ‘the guvnor’ is a private investigator. He solves the cases that Sherlock Holmes wouldn’t be interested in. He is overweight, drinks heavily has no social skills and detests Sherlock Holmes. But despite his many faults he is loyal to those who work with him and his clients.
The narrative is told by his assistant Barnett. Barnett has suffered a personal loss that he hasn’t discussed with the guvnor and he regularly suffers physical abuse. Some of it from the guvnor but also from the poli
Chris
3.5 It isn't quite a four.

Arrowood has a problem. It isn't the fact that his sister has returned. Nope. It isn't the fact that his wife left - his fault that. It isn't that the beer has gone off.

It is Sherlock Bloody Holmes.

Finlay's book is about the anti-Holmes and Watson. Not bad guys, no, but the ones who handle those cases that are not classy enough for Holmes. Along the way, Finlay also subtley digs at Watson's martial status.

Overall the book is good. The mystery is a bit wrapped up in a bo
Becky
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I don't think I would trust Arrowood to solve any case of mine, he is drunken, bitter and a very angry man. His main source of rage is the success and popularity of Sherlock Holmes. Arrowood is the poor man's choice when they need a private investigator... mainly because he comes cheap. This is an interesting, if slightly confusing first case that we join him on. To be honest I am not 100% sure I managed to put together the complex story of Feinian gun runners, French sex slaves, murder and ...more
Cherie
Quite the convoluted, busy tale and rant against Sherlock Holmes.

I listened to this as an audiobook, narrated by Malk Williams. I liked his voices for the characters, after I got used to the accent. I got lost in the story several times and had to backtrack to review what happened. There were a lot of bad guys! Everyone lied. I felt bad for the characters that got beat up and tortured for information.

The characters felt like a poor version of Nero Wolf and Archie Goodwin, set in 1860s dirty Lo
Evelyn Romp
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bieb
wat een tof verhaal was dit, Arrowood is een goed mens, en een beetje excentriek. het verhaal is een fijn mysterie, iedereen liegt. het is spannend, grappig, ontroerend en verrassend. echt een dikke aanrader!
Roberta Bridget
Dec 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Finished it. I'm free. Reading this felt like work. I don't recommend it.
Angie Rhodes
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
BRILLIANT!! IF YOU LOVE SHERLOCK , YOU WILL LOVE THIS!! PUBLISHED MARCH 2017
Goodreads Librari...: One Arrowood 2 13 Dec 27, 2017 01:36AM
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mickfinlayau...

Mick Finlay was born in Glasgow and grew up in Canada and England. He now divides his time between Brighton and Cambridge. He teaches in a Psychology Department, and has published social psychological research on political violence, persuasion, and verbal and non-verbal behaviour. Before becoming an academic he worked as a tent hand in a travelling

Arrowood (2 books)
  • The Murder Pit (An Arrowood Mystery)