Start by marking “Lost Souls” as Want to Read:
Lost Souls

Lost Souls

(Cainsville #3.6 - Bad Publicity)

Hardcover, Trade Edtition, 192 pages
Published March 31st 2017 by Subterranean Press (first published December 15th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Lost Souls, please sign up.

Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/02/09/...

In the interest of honesty, I picked up Lost Souls without realizing that it was part of the Cainsville sequence, so that probably had an impact on my rating. Still, despite my oversight, I really enjoyed this novella, and I think fans of the series who are familiar with the characters and the subtle nuances in their relationships will no doubt appreciate it even more.

As urban legends go, few are as well-known as the one
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have been hooked on the Cainsville series since the first book and any chance I have to read anything set in that world, with the characters I've come to absolutely love, is a chance I don't even think twice about.

And a novella set almost entirely in Gabriel's point of view, I am so in. I love Gabriel and while he can be bristly and rough and tough we've seen over the course of the series that there is a lot more to him than meets the eye. That in fact, the man has a heart of gold, even if it
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

Typically, I fall fast and hard for Kelley Armstrong’s writing, but her CAINSVILLE series has been the rare ugly duckling. Over the course of four books, my ratings have fluctuated between 3 and 5 stars, so where LOST SOULS was going to land on that spectrum was anyone’s guess. I’m pleased to say that it settled right smack in the middle which is the best place for a novella to be in my option because it means that first timers will enjoy it without having to have read t
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
I read my first book by Kelley Armstrong a couple of month's ago. The book was OK, not as fabulous as I had hoped it to be, but still enough interesting to make me want to tread more from the author. And, this novella felt like a good second book to read. Now, I don't know anything about Cainsville, but this novella was very good and I hope to get a chance to read the books in the series some day.

Lost Souls starts with Gabriel getting a case from Patrick about a hitchhiking woman in white who va
Dana
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Cainsville Series

Interesting little mystery where Olivia and Gabriel investigate a “woman in white” ghost case. I enjoyed being back in Olivia and Gabriel's world. Their relationship was at the same place it always is.

I have read the first three books in the series and there were no spoilers in this short story for me. Bigger things were alluded to, but nothing from the latest book.

The ending felt a bit rushed after the lackadaisical pace of the rest of the story. Overall the story seemed to focus a bit more o
Ferdy
Glad this was in Gabriel's POV. He was a lot more interesting than Liv, who has become rather flat and predictable in the last couple of books. Even Patrick's POV had more entertainment value than Liv's.
Enjoyed the mystery-of-the-week plot, it was more engrossing than the various plots in the last two books in series, which like Liv's POV have become somewhat stale.

4.5/5 stars

Lost Souls is a novella in the Cainsville series. It is set between Deceptions (book 3) & Betrayals (book 4). It is really meant to be read as a companion to the Cainsville series. I would not recommend reading this book if you have not read the series as there are spoilers from the previous books.

Kelley Armstrong is one of my favorite authors. I absolutely love the Cainsville series. So I was very excited to read this novella.

I would describe this series as part mystery and part
Ronda
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved Loved Loved!!

This short novella depicts/highlights Gabriel and Olivia's emotions & feelings towards one another (although we already know their tangled relationship is fragile at the best of times), however, I could see a crack, just a small crack, and it was allowing a small amount of light through.

Patrick was another element of Liv and Gabriel's feelings and all these emotions came through with the investigation.

I loved this story, I love the series and I can't wait to see how all o
Marta Cox
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-reviews, netgalley
Ok this author enjoys surprising her readers and her Cainsville series is one that always keeps reader on their toes. You get a little bit of paranormal and a whole lot of mystery and this novella that connects Deceptions and Betrayals is no different. Revolving around Gabriel whose journey has been a hard one we catch up with him when he is at a low ebb. There's a connection between him and Olivia who works for him that is magical but not in the way you expect but as this story begins their fri ...more
Susana
Arc Provided by Subterranean Press through Netgalley

Release Date: March 31st

The greatest compliment I can give to this novella, is that after being thoroughly pissed of with the way things ended in the third Cainsville novel, I am now _once again _ determined in finishing the series! So, well done! Objective achieved, lol
As to what happens in this novella, obviously I'm not going to spoil it for you guys, but I'll say that the basic plot was extremely interesting... okay, there's ghosts...and o
Hollis
"I bring you the gift of murder and mayhem, a puzzle to be solved, a mystery to be cracked."

I will forever be here for Gabriel POV. For. ever.

I hate to say this but I think I liked LOST SOULS more than BETRAYALS.. not that it should come as a surprise, really. The main factor being that there was hardly any Ricky to suffer through for this read. I know, I'm awful, poor guy, what did he ever do to me. He's such a nice dude. And that's mainly the problem. Gabriel might be frustrating as all get-o
Annika
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description

I was more than astonished to find that it's been almost one and a half years since I binge read the first three books of this series. Somehow though, Gabriel, Olivia and all those other amazing characters have managed to brand themselves into my memory, which made it surprisinglyeasy for me to immerse myself right back in the story.

While, as a reader of the Cainsville series, you're mainly used to Olivia's narration, this short is told from Gabriel and Patrick's POV only.
Patrick, (view spoiler
Rebekah
I RARELY pick up the novellas of a series. I’m just not interested in them. I like having them but I rarely read them. weird, I know. But the only reason why I picked this one up was because it’s about my main squeeze and I was in need of something before the final book in this series which I LOVE!

So in this novella it’s just a mystery BUT it’s a mystery with Gabriel point of view for almost all of it. So I was all about it! I Love Gabriel, always have because of his rough character and yet when
Katie
Oh Gabriel.

This is set between the third and fourth book, so you're not getting more character development than you did in book 4, but I'm always up for more about my poor boy trying to figure out humans and relationships.

Re-read July 2017
Apr 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I've been a little frustrated with this series, particularly with the love triangle, over the past few books. This is definitely not a favorite trope of mine! I was hoping a short story would be a change of pace and that there'd be a little less angst, but there were definitely elements of this still in there.

I did find this short story a little difficult to get into, but about half way through the action picked up. I love the character of Gabriel and it is a refreshing change to be seeing the n
Nancy The book junkie
Review to come!
Meigan
Review to come.

*eARC received via NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Vertrees
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fantastic short story. Was literally LOL'ing at Gabriel and Patrick's bickering.
Under the Covers Book Blog
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it

I have been a fan of Kelley Armstrong for years and the Cainesville series is one that slowly pulled me into its mystery. When I first started reading it I wasn't quite sure where the paranormal angle was, but it's slowly (quite slowly) been coming out. I didn't jump on reading book 4 when it came out because I'm holding out for the audiobook, and lucky that because this novella takes place between books 3 and 4. So perfect timing for me to read it without having experienced book 4 yet.

LOST SOU

Douglas Meeks
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave some thought to giving this 3 stars but only because there is a lot of history and pages devoted to it that if the reader is not a follower of this series then you are pretty much lost on those pages BUT that does not affect the enjoyment of the reader in the main story here.

There is obviously some bit of past betrayal between Gabriel and Olivia but we are not really told exactly what it was, we do know he is sorry for it BUT again when the book ended I was not sure what their relationshi
Donna
I liked the twist on the vanishing hitchhiker legend and am so in love with Gabriel's pov, but some plot elements could have been explained a bit better. The ending was also too abrupt for my taste.
Lola
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley and voluntarily reviewed it.

I love Kelley Armstrong her Cainsville series and this novella is an awesome addition to that series. I would definitely recommend it to fans of the series and even more for those who like Gabriel. This novella is told from Gabriel his point of view with a few short chapters from Patrick in between. I really like Gabriel, he's one of my favorite characters in this series and getting to spend a wh
archdandy
In this new short story set in the Cainsville world by Kelley Armstrong we follow Gabriel Walsh. Patrick brings him a new and interesting case and he hopes it will help to bring Olivia back to him and repair their relationship. Unfortunately it doesn't quite work out that way for Gabriel and nothing really moves forward for them. Olivia is still walking on eggshells by the end of the story and Gabriel is still making an ass of himself.

I love Kelley Armstrong's books and characters and normally
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)

I have been a fan of Kelley Armstrong for years and the Cainesville series is one that slowly pulled me into its mystery. When I first started reading it I wasn’t quite sure where the paranormal angle was, but it’s slowly (quite slowly) been coming out. I didn’t jump on reading book 4 when it came out because I’m holding out for the audiobook, and lucky that because this novella takes place between books 3 and 4. So perfect timing for me to read it without having experienced book 4 yet.

LOST SOU
Jess
Decent Gabriel development, but otherwise very slight. I liked the look at Patrick, too, but I think I prefer the full novels to this novella.
Sandy S
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars

ABOUT THE BOOK:

Ebook release: December 16, 2016
Paper Release Date March 31, 2017

The disappearing hitchhiker is one of the hoariest urban legends, and no one knows that better than Gabriel Walsh, a lawyer who grew up on folklore and myth. When author of books on the supernatural Patrick brings Gabriel a case of a hitchhiking woman in white who vanished on a country road after accepting a ride from a businessman, Gabriel knows the Cainsville elder is just trying to wheedle into his good gr
Liv
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This novella was set in the Cainsville universe, where shenanigans instigated by the fae took centre stage for the most part. The protagonists from the main series played the lead roles in this novella, but instead of hearing the story via Liv’s voice, it was told from Ganriel’s prospective.

Interestingly, while Gabriel was struggling with ways to reconcile with Liv and to get back into her good graces, we got to see the more vulnerable side of him firsthand. We also got a glimpse into his childh
Cardyn Brooks
Gabriel's POV makes Lost Souls a deilish little tidbit of an auxiliary Cainesville read. Even though Ricky is the most emotionally mature member of the Olivia/Gabriel/Ricky love triangle. Definitely agree with other reviewers who've warned Cainesville newbies not to read this before reading the earlier books in the series.
Regina De Los Reyes
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this short story! Really enjoyed getting into the minds of Gabriel and Patrick! Great little adventure that didn’t include the current issues of Gwen/Mathilda/Arwen. Nice break from that and a little more history into Gabriel’s life as a child.
Jo
  • Down and Out in Purgatory
  • Deep Navigation
  • A Long December
  • Tortured Souls: The Legend of Primordium
  • Sirens (Rhonda Parrish's Magical Menageries)
  • The Bread We Eat in Dreams
  • Grave Phantoms (Roaring Twenties, #3)
  • Urban Enemies
  • Jacaranda (The Clockwork Century, #6)
  • Glimpses
  • Final Girls
  • The Winds of Marble Arch and Other Stories
  • Smut Peddler: 2014 Edition
  • No Sooner Met (October Daye, #6.2)
  • Double Down (Lois Lane, #2)

Cainsville (5 books)
  • Omens (Cainsville, #1)
  • Visions (Cainsville, #2)
  • Deceptions (Cainsville, #3)
  • Betrayals (Cainsville, #4)
  • Rituals (Cainsville, #5)