Start by marking “The Knowledge: A Too Close To True Novel” as Want to Read:
The Knowledge: A Too Close To True Novel

The Knowledge: A Too Close To True Novel

Where did The War of Art come from?
How did creativity sensei Steven Pressfield come up with the notion that there is an insidious force in the universe called Resistance that keeps us from pursuing our life’s work and fulfilling our artistic destiny? And that until we recognize and engage in an end-of-days battle with the big “R,” our inner genius will remain blocked and
Published November 19th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Knowledge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knowledge

Start your review of The Knowledge: A Too Close To True Novel
Mark Watkins
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
You probably know Pressfield as the author of Gates of Fire. Or maybe The Legend of Bagger Vance. Or maybe The War of Art. All amazing works.

The Knowledge is like no other Pressfield book. Hemingway famously said "Writing is easy. All you have to do is sit at a typewriter and bleed". And I think Pressfield really bled for this.

The Knowledge stars Stretch, an aspiring writer and oft-times jackass. He's crude, testosterone-filled, and makes bad choices. The Knowledge is subtitled A Too Close to
Curt Carroll
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Awesome to see the beginnings of The War of Art and Turning Pro. Super interesting knowing that's the back drop while being a real page turner of a story.
Dan Stendig
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You can't go wrong with Pressfield

If you're already familiar with Steven Pressfield, I'm not sure why you're reading the reviews. Looking for somebody to say, Yeah, this one is really good too, I guess. It is.
If you're not familiar with Pressfield, you may as well just dive in. You won't be disappointed.
He's not for everybody of course. The people who wouldn't like him probably never make it this far. Me? I trust Steven to not my waste my time. He's earned it.
Victor
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Maybe I was expecting too much. I love War of Art and was looking forward to a metaphor for Resistance. It was mostly an action novel. None of the characters are interesting enough to root for. I found myself not caring too much what happens. There wasn't much to Stretch's inner life, he just kinda gets involved with a few things and skirts along the surface. Where's the feeling? Where's the inner journey? Maybe I was expecting too much.
Leigh
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the style of Pressfield's writing and found the characters believable and disturbing. I spent most of the novel wondering which parts were 'too close to true'. If only 10% were true, Pressfield has still led a life close to the edge.
Bern Callahan
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yet another home run from Pressfield. I found this story both compelling and inspiring....a rewarding read.
Stephanie Kelcey
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really fun, quick read. I love the work Steven does and this is a wonderful addition.
Josh Allred
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing, cracks my top ten in non fiction. This book is a page turner that you never want to end.
Nat Harward
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Really fun read, especially if you've ever lived in the City.
Nicholas Mills Mills
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
A glimpse into the life of a writer. I’ve always imagined myself being a writer, living that lifestyle. But the older I get, and the harder I realize that lifestyle is, I’m beginning to think differently. I would like to write, but from a point of passion, not romanticism.

1. You walk in and your knees immediately begin banging into canvases - 9 [Artistic Romanticism]
Talent is bullshit - 23

2. I see a million writers with talent. It means nothing...It’s work, you gotta work, do the fucking
Rikard Bergquist
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biab-12-in-12
Steven really sucks you in to his world of the mid seventies in New York. Hilarious twists and page turning energy. Having read his other non-fictional work I appreciated to see the beginnings of those books and struggle here. In parts I felt the story lost focus and got drenched in details of the setting.
Julian Summerhayes
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I love Steven Pressfield's writing -- it's tight, gritty and bang on the $. This book was no exception. I love the way the characters were developed and Mr P made me want to turn the next page, and the one after that. If you like Gangster type books with a twist then you'll love reading this book.
Mike Vardy
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paper-library
A real page-turner. Haven't read much of Pressfield's fiction, but I'll do so now. I still prefer his non-fiction work, but he's a great writer and this book was solid from beginning to end z
Jeff Payne
Dec 31, 2016
Briana Moore
Oct 12, 2017
Vlad Bezden
rated it did not like it
May 27, 2018
Brian Toro
Nov 15, 2017
Naomi
Jan 30, 2017
Maria
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A taut thriller, whose main character has a vibrant, ya gotta love him verve and vulnerability. Pressfield shows us the same take-no-prisoners compassion in fiction that we love and crave in The War of Art.
Joshua Coon
Nov 25, 2017
Nicky Billou
Mar 16, 2017
Mark Williams
Oct 27, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Awareness: A de Mello Spirituality Conference in His Own Words
  • The Way of the Superior Man: A Spiritual Guide to Mastering the Challenges of Women, Work, and Sexual Desire
  • Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives
  • 100 Songs
  • The Shape of the Journey: New & Collected Poems
  • The Art of Stillness: Adventures in Going Nowhere
  • In Search of Small Gods
  • Black Edge: Inside Information, Dirty Money, and the Quest to Bring Down the Most Wanted Man on Wall Street
  • Living with the Monks: What Turning Off My Phone Taught Me about Happiness, Gratitude, and Focus
  • Running Down a Dream: Your Road Map to Winning Creative Battles
  • Telex from Cuba
  • Two Awesome Hours: Science-Based Strategies to Harness Your Best Time and Get Your Most Important Work Done
  • #Max Out Your Life
I was born in Port of Spain, Trinidad, in 1943 to a Navy father and mother.

I graduated from Duke University in 1965.

In January of 1966, when I was on the bus leaving Parris Island as a freshly-minted Marine, I looked back and thought there was at least one good thing about this departure. "No matter what happens to me for the rest of my life, no one can ever send me back to this freakin' place