Start by marking “Miss Bingley Requests: A Pride and Prejudice Regency Variation” as Want to Read:
Miss Bingley Requests: A Pride and Prejudice Regency Variation

Miss Bingley Requests: A Pride and Prejudice Regency Variation

Beyond Pride and Prejudice - Miss Bingley’s quest for marriage

This is the story of Pride and Prejudice from the point of view of Caroline Bingley, who has always believed she will marry Darcy. However, she meets and falls in love with Mr. Tryphon, and becomes torn between what she has always expected her life would be and her desire for Mr. Tryphon.
Published November 21st 2016 by Accent Press

To ask other readers questions about Miss Bingley Requests, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Bingley Requests

Elin Eriksen
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: tedious
The premise of this book was something as unique as "Pride and Prejudice" retold from miss Bingley's point of view. Who can resist something new and shiny?
Dead set on marrying Mr Darcy, miss Bingley's equilibrium is thrown off by the handsome Mr Tryphone, a friend of the highly sought after Lady Amesbury.

Caroline Bingley is not one of the most sympathetic persons, although I hesitate to call her outright cruel in this context. She staid fairly true to Austen's character.
The story followed the t
Kellyn Roth
... eh?

Okay, so, it was just annoying. It was simply Pride & Prejudice from Caroline Bingley's perspective. Only it was boring and didn't really lend a new perspective to her. She has a romance which she then decides not to pursue because of Darcy and then because of common sense ... I'm confused.

What was the point of this book ...? Boring me and showing that there really wasn't anything interesting about Caroline anyway? Humanizing her and then giving her an unhappy ending because we still
J. W. Garrett
This was a strange but clean story. It looked like a Pride and Prejudice fan fiction. It sounded like a P&P fan fiction and it read like a JAFF [Jane Austen Fan Fiction]. However, there was just something off with this story. It was like a melody that had a few notes that somehow just didn’t sound right.

Since this story was Caroline’s POV… we were always… always in her head. Scenes had to be manipulated in order for her to overhear, see or find out about those pivotal scenes that we love so
AnnMarie
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Miss Bingley Requests: A Pride and Prejudice Regency Variation by Judy McCrosky is a standalone story which as the title suggests is a retelling of Pride and Prejudice but from Caroline Bingley's perspective.

It is difficult to review this book because on the one hand there are of course many references and scenes used which were in the fabulous Pride and Prejudice. On the other hand, sometimes a better insight into characters isn't always a good thing. I enjoyed the former but didn't enjoy the l
Jypsy
Miss Bingley Requests presents a unique look at Pride and Prejudice. While Elizabeth got the guy, what did Caroline Bingley get, other than a bad attitude? I basically despise her character, and this story did not change my opinion. I'm glad to read a different version of the classic, but Caroline is too shallow and taciturn to be likeable at all. I didn't enjoy this one as much as I had hoped.
Mimi
Poor Miss Caroline Bingley.... Although not a loveable character, she does evoke some sympathy in this reader.
That being said, the book seemed to drag for the first two-thirds. Not bad, but not great either.

I received a copy through netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Tania
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is Pride and Prejudice, told from Caroline Bingley's perspective, who is, let's face it, one of the least likeable characters in the whole book. In this, she is just as vapid and snobbish, but she is also amazingly stupid. How could she not think that her new friends were up to no good. It is an easy read, but a bit too long for what it is. As a fan of Jane Austen, perhaps I am not the best person for this book. I think the real rating for me is 2.5, but as I gave 'Mansfield Park' 3*, I cou ...more
Heidi Goehmann
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a fun read with another vantage point of the beloved Pride and Prejudice. It seemed designed to give attention to the external world with lots of familiar scenes and details in the first half and more on the internal world of the foremost character on the back half. It gave me more compassion for Miss Bingley whole simultaneously leaving me frustrated and irritated with her character, a feat well accomplished.
Amy
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm a wee bit possessive about Jane Austen. I often wish her books were my secret, because all the starry-eyed gushing over romance plots and dopey quizzes on facebook telling you which heroine you are most like irritate me beyond belief.

Why would I want to be so selfish? What's wrong with different people enjoying something at their own level and for their own reasons? In general, the answer should be there's nothing wrong with people approaching something in their own unique fashion and evalua
Andreia Nuno
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Here is a fun re-telling of the Pride and Prejudice, unlike any of the stories I’ve read so far. The fact that we go through the story in Caroline Bingley’s perspective, is both original and a bit horrifying considering her role in the original novel. The best part is that Judy McCrosky kept the most of the original story with making any major changes to the plot, and that includes Caroline herself.

Presented by Jane Austen, Caroline is nasty, ignorant, arrogant, shallow, and vain. On a more pos
MaritzalovesBooks
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, no-hea
Jess
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
I love Pride and Prejudice, and have read many retellings and adaptations of it. This one was reasonably entertaining, but fell a bit flat for me. For me, a retelling should add something new to the story, or give us insights into a character that we did not have before. I did not feel that this book did that. The introduction of the Eleanor/Tryphon storyline was new, but all the parts that mapped back to P&P bored me, because they were just a rehashing of what I already knew. This book focu ...more
Missy  Chapman
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
It is a truth universally acknowledged that Miss Caroline Bingley is destined to marry Mr. Fitwilliam Darcy. At least in the minds of Caroline and her sister, Louisa. This Pride and Prejudice story is told from the perspective of Caroline, who is easily one of the most disliked characters of Austen's beloved novel. Caroline doesn't love Mr. Darcy, but believes that she is meant to be his wife. When she meets Mr. Tryphon, she begins to to feel things that she has never experienced. As we move thr ...more
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Judy McCrosky’s Miss Bingley Requests is the telling of Pride & Prejudice from the point of view of Miss Bingley. However, to give an added twist, before Netherfield is let, Miss Bingley happens to read a love poem that Mr. Darcy was reading. After a chance meeting with a Mr. Tryphon, new to London, Miss Bingley is scrambling not to let the meaning of love deter her from her goal of becoming Mrs. Darcy. Throughout it all, the classic Pride & Prejudice is taking place, with our dear coupl ...more
Robin
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
**I received an ARC from Netgalley for an honest review**
Although I have not enjoyed Jane Austen's books, I do love her stories. That sounds odd but the language was always too much for me. I was excited to read a book from Miss Bingley's perspective. I was never quite sure what her motivations were in the original story.
I enjoyed several parts of this story:
The characters from a different viewpoint were interesting. Especially how she saw Darcy and his potential. Caroline is a vapid, spoiled c
MadRead
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
This was an interesting take on the original Pride & Prejudice story, and as such had much to live up to. I enjoyed the way that the author developed Miss Bingley's character beyond what was included in the original book, and she did well to emulate the world in which the characters were living in. It was however difficult to emphasise with the main character as she was portrayed which is different to Jane Austen's style of writing. The characters limited views and pastimes became a little f ...more
Mary
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: well-written
Miss Bingley Requests by Judy McCrosky is Jane Austen's beloved Pride and Prejudice from Caroline Bingley's point of view. While covering all of Austen's plot points and fleshing out Miss Bingley's life, McCrosky does nothing to change the fact that Caroline Bingley is a snide, unlikeable character. I couldn't even feel sympathetic when she finds out the truth about Mr. Tryphon and Lady Amesbury.

Having read Jane Austen's original and many variations and viewed every movie version available, inc
Tammy Buchli
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun Austenation. Didn't make any major changes to canon, being largely a straight retelling of Pride and Prejudice from Caroline Bingley's POV. I was surprised (being a veteran of these types of stories), that the author really made no changes to Caroline's character as presented by Austen. Caroline in this book was just as shallow, vain, nasty & delusional as she has ever been. Kind of comforting, actually. A self-aware and kind Caroline Bingley would sort of shake the foundations of the ...more
Mel Thea
I thought it was well written, as least as far as I read, but I realised at about page 75 that that author made Caroline a little too naive, at least for me. I just don't believe she would be that unaware of certain things (bad judgment maybe, but not ignorant of nuances of society, etc.). I think this was supposed to be a more sympathetic portrayal of Caroline, but it didn't work for me. This is not the first time an attempt has been made to make JA "villains" more sympathetic (e.g. Lady Vernon ...more
Aimee
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an entertaining book that looks at Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice from the perspective of Caroline Bingley. Pride and Prejudice is one of my all time favorite books and I have read many retellings and this one is one of the better ones. The book stays true to the original and tells the story from an entirely different point of view. It was fun to get a look at Caroline's life in London, her relationship with her brother and sister, and her pursuit of Mr. Darcy. The ending was surprisi ...more
Susan
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this variation we see the events of Pride and Prejudice from the viewpoint of Caroline Bingley. A viewpoint which is delusional as far as her aspirations towards Mr Darcy go. The story also introduced a couple of new characters to add to the tale.
(If you are only interested in the angst between Darcy and Elizabeth then this is not for you.)
I found this an entertaining well-written read and at times felt even sorry for Caroline Bingley. Though I am someone who enjoys reading about the secondar
Mandy
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
The main character isn’t endearing, she’s judgmental, snarky, and incredibly naive. Seeing the world through her eyes was tedious and the book dragged. The ending was bizarre and left me wondering what the purpose of the book was? it was a long trek through Caroline Bingley’s head then I’m not sure readers gain anything of note by reading it.

On the upside, the language, grammar, and mechanics are all well written.
Lacey Bordewick
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Maybe 3.5 stars. While I found the book easy to read and enjoyed the perspective of Caroline Bingley, I think there were a couple of key spots where the storyline differed from Pride and Prejudice. If you are going to do another version of an immensely famous book, you have to have the stories align perfectly.
Taira Meadowcroft
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
It wasn’t the best and it wasn’t the worst. It was a different perspective for pride and prejudice. Caroline wasn’t terribly likeable, which I’m disappointed with. She isn’t the best character in the original novel, but I thought there would be some redeeming qualities about her. I suppose at the end she was redeemed a bit. The ending was rushed and I was left wanting more of an ending.
Eve
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It isn't my usual fare. I normally read mystery, fantasy and science fiction, and I expected this story to be slow, and of another time. It was certainly of another time (and it was thrilling to know what it was like at that time), but the story is exquisitely paced, and the tension near the end kept me reading long after it was time to turn off the light. An excellent read!!
Kathy Bringardner
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I thought this would be a fun read, Pride and Prejudice told from Caroline Bingley's perspective. It was just a retelling of the same story, but without the charm, wit and warmth of Austen. It was a rather tedious read, and I was so bored with it, I read a few pages from each chapter and moved on. Not one I'd recommend.
Karen
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love a good Austen spin-off/homage/retelling .... but unfortunately this wasn't one. Maybe because it was Miss Bingley, who wasn't made any more likable in this than she was in the original. I was hoping for some redeeming qualities and didn't get them.
Julia
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love a good P&P spinoff, but this didn’t quite hit the mark. I would have loved to see some growth in Caroline’s character by the end of the book, but she remained as selfish and shallow as ever. The ending itself was far too rushed, as if the author just ran out of ideas.
Tammy T
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was a bit entertaining once you slogged thru all the language and all the discussion of Elizabeth Bennett's eyes. It was interesting to see what could be going on in Miss Bingley's head, but I found myself wanting things tied up more at the end! I could have lived without reading it.
Sveta Agaeva
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
That is basically Pride and Prejudice retelling from miss Bingleys point of view, it wasn't the best retelling ever, it was quite boring if I'm being honest, but I read it pretty much at the same time that I read Mary B, and I hated the other one so much that this book seemed great in comparison.
« previous 1 3 4 next »