Start by marking “Thwarted Escape: An Immigrant's Wayward Journey” as Want to Read:
Thwarted Escape: An Immigrant's Wayward Journey

Thwarted Escape: An Immigrant's Wayward Journey

How far can one truly go away from his/her ancestral roots, filial ties and the claustrophobic grip of traditions and the reminiscence of an emotionally fraught childhood and puberty? The book begins with this particular quest, and it is this quest which gains momentum as a woman seeks the essence of herself-identity ten thousand miles away from her Bengali hometown. With ...more
Published 2016 by Authorspress

Start your review of Thwarted Escape: An Immigrant's Wayward Journey
Sourabh Mukherjee
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have to say this was an unparalleled reading experience. And I say this not just because Lopa has the enviable skill of being able to weave images with impeccably chosen words, or, because her writing has the magical prowess of pulling one out of familiar surroundings and transporting one to her world that demands to be explored and cherished - but because, she is an extremely courageous author.

As they say, the best way to know an author is to read her / his work. But what I usually get to see
Vineetha Mekkoth
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Review of Lopamudra Banerjees Thwarted Escape: An Immigrants Wayward Journey
By Vineetha Mekkoth - Poet, Writer, Translator, Editor
It was on the International Womens day that I received this book. How apt it is I thought. For I know Lopa as a writer par excellence. I have been reading her on the Facebook group The Significant League, Learning and Creativity and her blog. Her command over the language is impeccable. Above all she is a woman who knows her mind and expresses it boldly. However, I
Shabir Ahmad
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Why does someone write a memoir? I mean if someone wants to write about the interesting life that he/she has lived or wants to write about his/her ordinary life as a celebration of life itself, he/she can always write an autobiography. If someone wants to write about something fascinating that he/she has witnessed, he/she can always turn to fiction. Why a memoir then?
In case of Thwarted Escape- a memoir by Lopamudra Banerjee, there is just one answer: Catharsis. Yes Catharsis; more than for
Ananya Dhawan
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Subhashini Koundinya-Iyer
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
After a long time , Lopamudra Banarjees debut memoir , that she so lovingly sent me , gave me the focus to read a book seriously . Of late my reading had been limited to scrolling through walls, feeds , a snippet here , an article there always a sense of waiting for more . Thank you for sending a feast my way .And what a feast this book and journey has been ...
For some reason , Lopas lyrical flow reminds me of water, her passion, of fire .As does this book , sometimes it patters in gentle drips
Gopa Bhattacharjee
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
" I am the burnt out candle who knows not why she keeps returning to the old flames ".

Such poignant use of words with deep intense feelings is what touched my soul while reading the book " Thwarted Escape " by my dear friend Lopamudra Banerjee.

She has tried a different approach in her writing style to express the protagonist's headstrong journey from innocence towards maturity.Time and again she has shifted her thoughts from her acceptance to the space she lives in and the place she belongs to.
Shameek Mookherjee
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A regular life led over three decades is not worth inspiring to be imprinted in the pages of a book, yes or no? The answer is yes, if the person writing the experiences is talented enough to write and has the impulse to question his or her being, has the empathy towards the subtle nuances of life and at the same time is sensitive towards the challenges life throws at the self. This autobiographical sojourn is a compelling read.

The prose is poetic but the circumstances are not. Yet the words
Kusumika Ganguly
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thwarted escape takes you back to your roots if you are an immigrant or staying away from your home for a long period. It makes you feel nostalgic for the beloved city, Kolkata. It makes you long for your grandparents, your school days, the first days of passion, the first days in a new country and gives you a teary eyes smile. Lopas prose is a brilliant narrative of of her journey in USA and all that holds her back to her motherland. The lucid presentation and the interesting anecdotes makes it ...more
Rahul Ahuja
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant book, a masterpiece, poetry!

Mere declaring this book to be a memoir won't do any justice as it goes beyond that. The author has wonderful observation skills and the way she has presented even the tiniest moments of her life is quite noteworthy.

The author has an excellent command on English language with which she has scripted every line in a poetic form and that is the true essence of this book. Upon reading, the scenes from her life shall appear upon the television screen of your
Sarmita Dey
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lopamudra Banerjees memoir, Thwarted escape though written in prose form, is sheer poetry. At the very outset I would like to say that even though I have finished reading the book, I go back to it whenever I am in the mood to read poems, such is the power of her words.
Through her book, Lopamudra embarks on an unique journey from her childhood days when words in the shape of poetry eluded her. The image of the lifeless body of her grandfather being carried away in the rain, remain etched in her
Rita Kapila
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Weaving every thought and every emotion with the magic of her words....the book is like the course of a river flowing smoothly....unabatedly !
The book unfolds like a beautiful lotus in a pond.....and continues to revel in the glory of sunshine !
From the much revered Goddesses in India....along with the legendary feminine Epic characters.....and her own ever introspecting mortal self....from childhood to womanhood...to motherhood....the book is a journey of feminity....the inward and external
Bhuvaneshwari Shankar
Mar 02, 2017
Javeed Ahmad
Jul 10, 2018
Lekha Sengupta
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The back cover of the book is perhaps the first page I generally read when I get a book in hand. I did the same for Thwarted Escape tooand it unfolded to me a new dimension of the author, who is a friend from my scholar days. I had known her then as a simple, fun loving, romantic girl and her identity in the world of Literature today is not surprising.
I was fortunate to receive this narrative journal from Lopa personally, when I visited her place in February 2018. Thereafter, the book has kept
Aashisha Chakraborty