Start by marking “The Little Teashop of Broken Hearts” as Want to Read:
The Little Teashop of Broken Hearts

The Little Teashop of Broken Hearts

A deliciously charming romance, perfect for fans of Caroline Roberts, Jane Linfoot and Debbie Johnson.

From fairy cakes to first dates!

Maddie Lamington’s dreams are crumbling around her. If she doesn’t come up with a plan to save her little teashop on Sweet Street soon, it might be too late…

So when she sees how the perfect apple crumble brings together her lonely fath

Published February 8th 2017 by HQ Digital

To ask other readers questions about The Little Teashop of Broken Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Teashop of Broken Hearts

Start your review of The Little Teashop of Broken Hearts
Claire Robinson
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 - "Speed dating... with cake!" Stars!

I seem to be gravitating to the world of chick-lit a lot in my reading preferences lately, and in doing so am noticing the trend for the heroine of the story to be the owner of a coffee shop or café type establishment, The Little Teashop of Broken Hearts sticks wholly to that trend, and like many of its predecessors, it was a really enjoyable read.

Maddie Lamingon is our heroine in question this time, and while she loves her little eatery, being on the outsk
Jaya
My teeth hurts with so much sweetness (pun totally intended).
I usually avoid reading such romances but after ditching three books in one day, this one felt just about right.
Glad I didn't write this off. By the time I finished it, i was actually smiling...
Liina
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
4,5 stars
Maddie owns a teashop on Sweet Street, but her business isn't going very well and if things don't pick up, she might have to close the shop and all she has worked so hard for will be gone. When her father and a customer Birdie become friends over an apple crumble, she gets an idea to start a new service-speed dating with cakes. Birdie's son Caleb comes to help Maddie as well. Maddie's friends, Caleb and cakes make the perfect combination to save the gorgeous cafe and along the way the g
Karen Whittard
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley, Harper Collins Uk and Jennifer Joyce for the opportunity to read this book for an honest review.

I voluntarily reviewed an Advance reader copy of this book.

You can find my review on both Goodreads and Amazon. On Goodreads from today under Karen Whittard and on Amazon under k.e.whittard from publication date.

Lovely, lovely, lovely read. Perfect getaway reading. A must buy, must read for fans of chick lit, romance, culinary reads, and anyone who likes sweet and heartwarmi
Kim
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, 2017, net-galley
This is one of those books that entices you with a really pretty cover and draws you in with delicious sounding desserts with the most heartwarming set of characters and the quaintest sounding teashop. It's ideal for curling up with on a cold afternoon with your very own cup of tea. You'd better get some delicious cakes in before you start reading because you won't want to be torn away from the book!

Maddie has a tea shop on Sweet Street which is off the main high street throughfare and they are
Rachel McMillan
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
For fans of Jenny Colgan and the Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend comes a tale best enjoyed with warm tea and cozy socks. A whimsical small-town yarn spun with colourful characters and an inviting voice.

A whiff of romance balances the development of a young woman who is finding herself and stable footing amidst a cast of eccentrics.

With thanks to Netgalley for the review copy
Amanda
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Originally published at Desert Island Book Reviews

What do you get when you combine speed dating and cake? Apparently, a wildly successful formula for saving your teashop. At least, that was Maddie’s experience in A Little Teashop of Broken Hearts. While I don’t buy that this would have worked in real life, it made for a great story here, and since I also enjoyed the development of the characters’ relationships, I gave this book four stars.

The first bit of the book reads more like standard chick
Alba
Jun 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Originally posted on: http://www.albainbookland.com/2017/06...

As you can tell from the title, The Little Teashop of Broken Hearts is all about tea, cake and love. The story starts with a broken heart, Maddie's, who after breaking it up with her fiancé decides to finally open her own teashop. The problem is that nobody has noticed it so far so her customers are really scarce.

What I liked about this story is that it had a very original idea behind the main plot: speed dating with cake. I especial
Jenni
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-my-kindle
Cute and fun story! I liked the setting, Maddie and Caleb, and all the desserts mentioned. Made me want to bake something. I hope the author writes more books of this setting and characters!
Rachel Gilbey
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it

Having now finished reading The Little Teashop of Broken Hearts, I have just realised how hungry a large amount of the book has made me. There are so many mentions of delicious cakes being described, that I can only suggest you have some snacks ready, while you eat, as I suddenly have a large craving for cake, or maybe some of Maddie's apple crumble given her father, and also regular customer Birdie seem to love it so much!

Or maybe I should eat some of the little servings of cakes that Maddie s
Jessica
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The little teashop of broken hearts was just magical. There is a lot of love blossoming throughout the book with a lot of the characters getting together.

Maddie is the owner of the little teashop, shes a huge passion for baking and just wants her teashop to succeed. We see her fight to keep it open by introducing a dating night where people come and like speed date and taste a range of desserts in the hope they return to the teashop.

I would thoroughly recommend this book and is it is so cheerf
Judy
Feb 17, 2018 rated it liked it
A nice light romance with lots of yummy sounding baked goods. Just what I needed after having read several heavy duty books lately. The idea of speed dating with cakes sounds like a winner, and reminds me of my idea of speed dating with books, which never actually happened at my library, but sounded like a fun idea. It was just too bad no recipes were included!
Agi
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, 2017-releases

The first moment I spotted this book at NetGalley I thought, what? The same title? Of course not, only a very similar one to the one and only "The Lonely Bookshop of Lonely Hearts" by Annie Darling. I think, as much as I love chick - lit and books set in bookshops, teashops and cafes, that the idea is slowly being over - used. Do the authors continue write such books because the formula proved to be very popular? I, of course, don't mean this particular novel - because if I were tired of such th
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

When I first saw the cover and title for Jennifer’s book, I felt a sense of Deja vu and it took me a good while to work out why. But then, as I was trawling Amazon for more books (to add to my 42254456 (estimate) unread books on my TBR pile, I worked out why I got deja vu. The title is incredibly similar to a book that was published last year by a different author, but it really caught me off guard as I thought I had al
Anissa
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: brit chick-lit fans
Maddie's a first class baker but lacks in business skills. Her teashop is full of sweet treats, on a lovely lane and is in danger of being shut if she can't come up with a way to turn a profit. In addition to her work woes, she's also still bruised from a very bad engagement break up, a year and a half ago. It was a little slow getting off the ground but it picked up around chapter 10/11.

If there was one thing that drove me insane, it was that Maddie was literally giving her profits away by com
Barbara Bourke
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
After a steady diet of wartime era and family saga books, this little piece of sweetness was a welcome change. Misunderstandings galore with a satisfying ending. And what’s not to like about cake! Recommended as a quick, enjoyable read.
Sophie
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In The Little Teashop of Broken Hearts, Jennifer Joyce serves up a tale of romance and friendship just as sweet and delicious as a cake baked by Maddie Lamington. I really love Jennifer’s books. None of them ever fail to put a smile on my face when reading them. With The Little Teashop of Broken Hearts, I was snatching any moment I could just to read a few more pages and grinning from ear to ear when doing so. It’s an uplifting read with romances brewing from every corner and I adored every sing ...more
Annette
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maddie found her fiancee in bed with her best friend, a few weeks before their wedding. She took an inheritance from her Grandmother and opened a tea shop. She loves to bake and her cakes and other desserts are absolutely fabulous. Now, if she can get the shop to start making money, it will be wonderful. She is building a new life for herself. Her new life is without any connection to any man.

Working with Maddie is Mags, a divorced mother of two teenage boys. She does accounting and helps Maddi
Alison the Librarian
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, new-adult
Absolutely delightful Brit chick lit--my favorite genre!

Maddie had opened the bakery that she always dreamed of owning; the only problem is she can't get customers into the shop. However, a connection between customers over apple crumble inspires her to combine dating with desserts. Through a loveable cast of characters and a dreamy love interest, everything works out. Sure, it's a little contrived, and the ending ties up loose ends a bit too neatly, but if you're picking up a book with a cover
Elizabeth
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a cute book. Since this type of book is pretty formulaic, I'm going to point out the areas that I thought were unique.

-Maddie's business is in trouble. She doesn't automatically succeed just because her business sounds so good and the shop is cute. She chose a space off the main thoroughfare and she's not spent enough time thinking about how to get people in her doors.

-Speed dating with cake. I think the description of the book implies there's a magical realism element here and there is
Tea Leaves and Reads
Firstly, the whole idea behind this book is that Maddie (the owner of the teashop) needs to change her business model - and fast - as she's not making any money from her dream job. To save having a whole book about how Maddie does this, she could have just stopped giving away lots of cake to family and friends 'It's on me...' or baking up batches of stuff just because it was her staff's favourite... But that's just no fun. So in terms of being a book, it was good. A light hearted read with some ...more
Linda Klager
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Since this story was about tea and cake, and I like both, I thought I would give this book a try. I liked the idea of Maddie owning her own tea shop. She had a tough go of it until she came up with the idea of speed dating and eating. Then the tea shop had plenty of customers. She also found romance along the way. The only thing I did not like was all of the alcohol drinking and references to sex in this book.
Jessica
Jun 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I may have given up on this one too quickly, but I just couldn't get into it. I was 13% into the book (according to my Kindle) and I could not even tell you what the main character looked like. The author described other characters, but following the main character around without knowing what she looked like was like following a ghost. I didn't like how the time line jumped from past to present. I wanted to care about the tea shop, but the author just didn't get me to care about the characters.
Kathleen Tully
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Book!

Writer started out with a tea shop/bakery in financial as well as possibility of closing it's doors! Why off the beaten path, great tea & and various desserts but couldn't get into a good financial place due to being off the beaten path......gets better and better from there how? Read and find out...... Great read....
Valerie
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
SOM
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Sweet Story

Even though you know where the characters will end up, reading how they get there was fun. I liked that conflicts don't go on and on. Most get resolved fairly quickly, but new problems are soon on the way. A relaxing read!
Rose
Feb 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
No, just no!!! Long, painful sweetness and cuteness. I thought it would never end! I’m not a chick lit reader so this was my fault. Got it for 2.99 @ Bookbub; pretty sure I need to give B.B. away as the choices are mostly too sweet for my taste.
Doreen S. Hodge
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable

It was a change from what we had been reading in our book club lately
it was enjoyable and a little predictable but you wanted to continue to
Explore to find out if Mag's teashop would get back on its feet and become
The success she was looking for and deserved
Kathy
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Should be called "The Little Teashop of Not Broken Hearts". Good book. Easy, light-hearted read with some laughs.
Brenna
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovely read-but recipes would've been AWESOME ;

This was a sweet read between the tea, the cakes, and the story but I would've loved some recipes, especially for fairy cakes!

• The Little Kiosk By The Sea
  • Summer at Coastguard Cottages
  • The Cornish Confetti Agency
  • The Cosy Christmas Chocolate Shop
  • Sunshine at the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe #4)
  • The Little Shop on Silver Linings Street
  • When Only Cupcakes Will Do
  • Rosie’s Travelling Tea Shop
  • Amazing Grace
  • Finding Hope at Lighthouse Cove (Welcome To Whitsborough Bay Book 3)
  • The Bookshop on Rosemary Lane (Rosemary Lane #1)
  • Making Wishes at Bay View (Welcome To Whitsborough Bay #1)
  • A Gift from the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe, #5)
  • Summer at the Kindness Cafe
  • Coming Home to the Comfort Food Café (Comfort Food Cafe, #3)
  • Escape to Willow Cottage
  • The Little Village of Happiness
  • The Little Antique Shop under the Eiffel Tower (The Little Paris Collection, #2)
I'm a writer of romantic comedies who lives in Manchester with my husband and our two daughters. I've been scribbling down bits of stories for as long as I can remember, graduating from a pen to a typewriter and then an electronic typewriter. And I felt like the bee's knees typing on THAT. I now write my books on a laptop (which has a proper delete button and everything).

You can keep up to date wi