Start by marking “This Side of Murder (Verity Kent, #1)” as Want to Read:
This Side of Murder (Verity Kent, #1)

This Side of Murder

(Verity Kent #1)

An Unpardonable Sin?

Published September 26th 2017 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about This Side of Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Side of Murder

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
AN EXCERPT: 'You might question whether this is all a ruse, whether I truly have anything to reveal. But I know what kind of work you really did during the war. I know the secrets you hide. Why shouldn't I also know your husband's?'

THE BLURB: The Great War is over, but in this captivating new series from award-winning author Anna Lee Huber, one young widow discovers the real intrigue has only just begun . . .

An Unpardonable Sin?

England, 1919. Verity Kent’s grief over the loss of her husband pier
Jess (Primrose)
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Let me start out with, I love Anna Lee Huber as an author. Her Lady Darby series is a favorite of mine. I also do like the character Verity Kent. She's created an extremely interesting, multifaceted, and strong female heroine in Verity. The story itself was a great classic British murder mystery. Stormy nights, a house party, guests with more emotional baggage than the luggage they brought, and murders. I was thoroughly enjoying the book and thought nothing of recommending it.

However. A plot t
Caz
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, mystery-thriller, aar
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so 4.5 stars

With two series of historical mysteries already on the go –  Lady Darby  and  Gothic Myths  – Anna Lee Huber jumps into her new  Verity Kent  series with This Side of Murder, a smashing and engrossing tale of deceit, murder and betrayal set just after World War I.   As with Ms. Huber’s other books, the story is told in the first person from the heroine’s PoV, and there is plenty of astute observation and historical flavour that puts the reader firmly into
Cindy Burnett
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
This Side of Murder is a cleverly written and highly entertaining tale. When I started reading, my initial thought was that the story reminded me a fair amount of Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None. People assemble at a remote house, and then they start dying. While the stories begin similarly, the plots significantly diverged as I continued reading This Side of Murder. The mystery was clever, the characters amusing and well-drawn, and the plot resolution quite believable and a pleasant ...more
Ashley Weaver
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This Side of Murder is everything a mystery should be: suspenseful, atmospheric, and beautifully written, with rich historical detail and a heroine you really want to cheer for. I enjoyed every page, and I can't wait to see more of Verity Kent!
Sophia
I first noticed this author's regency era mysteries and they seemed good. Then I noticed that she was starting a whole new series of historical mysteries and they were to be set post WWI with a clever former Secret Service heroine. Immediately, I chose to go with the shiny new series though after reading, This Side of Murder, I do very much need to go back for the older, Lady Darby series, too.

The book was an engaging blend of history and mystery with a whiff of romance. The heroine, Verity Kent
Veronica
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it

Verity Kent showed promise as a lead character and her journey as a recovering widow in the aftermath of WW1 also had a lot of potential. I didn't even mind the somewhat slow start. However, a plot twist at over the halfway mark ultimately spoiled this series for me and I find I'm not really interested in the direction this book chose to go.
Betty
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The first book in a new historical series featuring Verity Kent. This is a new author for me and I will read her again. The characters are developed in depth and become friends. The description of you at the house party and you feel the emotions of each individual, especially Verity. I found I couldn't put the book down and need to finish it.
It is 1919, the war is finally over and Verify is slowly recovering from her grief on the death of her husband in the final days of the war. She received an
Melanie (Mel's Bookland Adventures)
As a first book in the series, and as an arc before publication, I think this was quite a solid beginning. It certainly had me guessing and I suspected everyone at various points, so from that point of view, it was absolutely solid.
A few things that niggled at me where the overly detailled descriptions of every item of clothing Verity wore, was a tad too much down to the brand of Mackintosh and wool coat. I appreciate that she knows that stuff about the era, but I felt it was lowering the overa
Angie
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun, “Clue” style mystery where characters are housed up together and slowly start to die off. You try to figure who’s responsible from the hints revealed, but they can be misleading!

Verity is a Great War widow who is still grieving and trying to move past her losses as the country is beginning to recover. She has secrets, and she’s finding out her husband apparently did too. She tries to find out truth, and it becomes quite dangerous and deceptive. Look for a big twist that will keep you on th
Amy
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I initially felt quite excited about this one but the very details that drew me in eventually left me wishing it would just end already.
First, the level of historical detail. Lovely detail. From name-brand clothing descriptions to different types of cigarettes, you can tell the author did her research. It adds to the atmosphere and really brings another level of depth and character to the plot. But it also bogs down the story. I grew quite exhausted with it all. I just wanted to get on with the
Kate Baxter
Another great read by historical fiction writer, Anna Lee Huber. This first in series story takes place in post WWI England year 1919. Our heroine, Verity Kent, widowed by nearly a year and a half still carries a torch for husband Sidney - lost to the war on a French battlefield.

One of Sidney's comrades is celebrating his engagement and has invited a number of war mates and surviving widow, Verity, to his island retreat for fun and festivities. As it turns out, it's an odd mishmash of guests - a
The Lit Bitch
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
As many of you know, I binge read almost all of Anna Lee Huber’s books this year. I love the Lady Darby books and I also loved her Gothic Myths book as well!

Huber rapidly became a favorite author of mine and I was eager to read her latest book series about Verity Kent. I saw a lot of this book on Twitter so I tried to procure a copy before it’s release but sadly I waited too long! So I had to resort to my local library….which I waited like 3 weeks for it to come in.

By then I had almost lost inte
Staci
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
The Lady Darby Series set in 1830-31 Scotland has been pure delight. The Verity Kent Series begins in 1919 England. Verity, as expected, is a very different heroine than Lady Darby. Verity is a likeable character with intelligence, heart and grit. The time period is an interesting one. It's set just after the end of WWI.

Beyond Verity, there was one other interesting character. For the most part though, I wasn't terribly interested in the cast of characters. There was quite a large focus on alcoh
Dharma Kelleher
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't read a lot of historical fiction and it's been ages since I've read any of Agatha Christie's work. But I instantly fell in love with the character of Verity Kent. Author Anna Lee Huber really brings the character alive as well as post-World-War-I England.

Still struggling to cope with the death of her husband, Verity Kent accepts an invitation to an island on the southern England coast to celebrate the engagement for one of her late husband's military comrades. But the celebration is sho
LORI CASWELL
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Dollycas’s Thoughts
Verity Kent lost her husband, Sidney, in The Great War. She has been trying to move on, probably not in the best ways, but then she receives a letter saying he may have committed treason before he was killed. The letter invites her to an engagement party for one of his fellow officers on Umbersea Island. At first, she doesn’t plan to go, but she needs to find out what proof the letter sender has. The group attending the party boards the ship to the island. Verity knows some of
Miki
Oct 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
This whole book was just off. The setting is right after WWI, a period that usually interests me, but these characters never came to life, and the whole thing was boring. Only sheer stubbornness got me to the end of it, and I am not amused.

Verity's husband was killed in the war. In her grief at his loss, she has sought forgetfulness in drinking and partying, with a little substance abuse on the side. To her surprise, she receives an invitation to a house party/engagement party with several membe
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
RATINGS: 4 STARS
(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY )
(Review Not on Blog)

I have been wanting to read Anna Lee Huber for a few years but could never get my hands on the first book (well, at the price I could afford). Alas, I finally have the first book (yay!). Before then, I saw that This Side of Murder was book one in a new series. I was excited when my request was approved and dove into this one.

Verity is a World War I war widow. The loss of her late husband, Sidney, is renewed when she rece
Ceki
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, war, mystery
I enjoyed the writing and the setting was done in an interesting Agatha Christie's fashion. I'm not a huge fan of WWI fiction but that is not what made me dislike this book. It was (view spoiler) that I found distasteful.
Not really interesred in the sequel.
Linda
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of Huber's Lady Darby historical mysteries, I was eager to read this first book in her new series. This also is historical, taking place just after WWI, and Verity, like Lady Darby, is a strong character somewhat constrained by traditional roles for women. Huber uses details and language to help establish the time period and weaves a story with a firm nod to Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None."

Verity Kent, widowed in the war a bit more than a year earlier, receives an invitatio
Lynn
This was such a great story! I could not put this book down. As far as mystery books go this one had it all, great characters, great time frame (1919 England just after the war), a touch of romance, murder with a good plot and most of all, a story line that kept you guessing as to who the murderer was. I can’t wait to read the next in the series!
Dana
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had been waiting for this series from Ms. Huber. I have been a fan since discovering her Lady Darby series, with this new series, Ms. Huber did not disappoint.

I was intrigued from the very first page; it had everything I was hoping for.

I’m looking forward to more in The Verity Kent series.
Mei
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, netgalley
Oh, this is almost as good as Lady Darby series! Not just as good, but still good. I would say 4.5 stars rounded to 5! LOL

What I like in Ms. Huber's writing style is that, while reading, I can immerse myself in the period and feel like I'm wearing the dress or talking in a certian way or srinking champagne during a gathering! It's amazing!

I don't want to spoil the story (mystery) here since the book is not out yet, but I can tell you that there're a lot of unexcpected things happening and, even
G.
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5
I wasn't a fan of the author's other series, but I'm glad I gave this one a chance. This Side of Murder is a much more assured first instalment in a series.
Nidofito
Sigh, I was hoping I wouldn't have to go through Huber referring to her heroine's hair as tresses and the clothing descriptions are back on as well, but, I digress...

I think the story was progressing quite solidly as a murder mystery until a major twist (that every reviewer has referred to) quite thoroughly spoiled it for me. However, as I finished the story, I now find myself willing to play along with the atypical route that Huber is taking. I'm also curious and cautiously hopeful of how well
Susan Snodgrass
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
England, 1919. Verity Kent’s grief over the loss of her husband pierces anew when she receives a cryptic letter, suggesting her beloved Sidney may have committed treason before his untimely death. Determined to dull her pain with revelry, Verity’s first impulse is to dismiss the derogatory claim. But the mystery sender knows too much—including the fact that during the war, Verity worked for the Secret Service, something not even Sidney knew.

Lured to Umbersea Island to attend the engagement part
Milena
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Side of Murder is a great historical murder mystery set in one of my favorite time periods, the beginning of 20th century just after WW1 ended. It has a cast of interesting characters lead by our main heroine Verity, who is a war widow and a former Secret Service operative. Verity is smart, resourceful, and very likeable. The setting of This Side of Murder is very atmospheric. As I was reading I was getting Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" vibes: an isolated island, a storm, a p ...more
Sometime
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this author's series The Lady Darby Mysteries and was excited to read a new series. This one is set after the end of WWI around 1919. Verity is a war widow who is drawn into the mystery of what happened in her husband's military unit and she wonders how well she really knew him.

This book reminded me of an old Agatha Christie mystery where they are all at a house party and the guests start dropping like flies. There was a wonderful sense of place and you could feel Verity's anguish and
Renee
A fun, enchanting mystery! This story made me feel like I was Nora Charles :) Love the period details & endearing heroine . . . I think I’m addicted so on to book 2!
Fred
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This Side of Murder is the first book in the Verity Kent Mystery series.

This is the second historical mystery series from Anna Lee Huber. It is as gripping as her Lady Darby series and provides the reader with a well-plotted story and a very interesting cast of characters that you will begin to understand the terrible mess of lives that war causes.

Verity Kent has been widowed just a few years when she receives in the post an invitation to the engagement party of Walter Ponsonby and his fincee, N

• A Purely Private Matter (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries, #2)
  • An Act of Villainy (Amory Ames Mystery #5)
  • A Pinch of Poison (A Lady & Lady's Maid Mystery, #2)
  • Where the Dead Lie (Sebastian St. Cyr, #12)
  • Death Among Rubies (Lady Frances Ffolkes #2)
  • A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery, #1)
  • A Proposal to Die For (Lady Alkmene #1)
  • His Spanish Bride
  • Scandal Above Stairs (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #2)
  • Theft of Life (Crowther and Westerman, #5)
  • The Sleeping Partner (Sarah Tolerance, #3)
  • Whispers Beyond the Veil (A Change of Fortune Mystery, #1)
  • What the Dead Leave Behind (A Gilded Age Mystery #1)
  • Uneasy Lies the Crown (Lady Emily #13)
  • Murder on Black Swan Lane (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery, #1)
Anna Lee Huber is the Daphne award-winning author of the national bestselling Lady Darby Mysteries, the Verity Kent Mysteries, the Gothic Myths series, and the forthcoming anthology The Jacobite’s Watch. She is a summa cum laude graduate of Lipscomb University in Nashville, Tennessee, where she majored in music and minored in psychology. She currently resides in Indiana with her family and is hard ...more

Verity Kent (3 books)
  • Treacherous Is the Night (Verity Kent, #2)
  • Penny for Your Secrets (Verity Kent, #3)
“I know what kind of work you really did during the war. I know the secrets you hide. Why shouldn't I also know your husband's?” 0 likes
“But I knew all to well how war could make people do things they would never have done otherwise. Terrible things. Things that did not vanish with the rising of the sun, or the coming of peace.” 0 likes