Start by marking “Christmas Outing (Veterans Affairs, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Christmas Outing (Veterans Affairs, #1.5)

Christmas Outing

(Veterans Affairs #1.5)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  241 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Troy and Dmitri have worked everything out - well, almost everything. Except for the part where Troy's family doesn't know Dmitri exists.

Troy's been out of the Army for almost a year, and except for a few short weeks, hasn't been back to West Virginia at all.

Now Christmas is coming, and his mother can't be put off any longer, not unless Troy wants to break her heart.

But
Published November 18th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Outing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Outing

Denise H.
*** I relished in these guys together and the trip from Colorado to West Virginia for Christmas with Troy's family. * Dimitri, Veterinarian, lives with * Troy, tattooed student and Veteran, who has his PTSD service dog Sweetie. They love their small town, and are doing well. Troy is not "out" to his family, and they travel hoping to have that issue resolved.

The gathering proves to be intense, because half of the family doesn't understand his need for Sweetie. The family feels pretty clueless a
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
A newly established couple decides to go home for the holidays together even though one of our protagonists is still in the closet. This book worked so well for me. It takes place in the middle of The Veterans Affairs series, but the author has been savvy enough to give the reader just enough backstory so they feel like they understand what's going on. This is a very quaint and enjoyable holiday story without getting sappy or overly silly.
I think I'll now have to read the entire series - sold!
Rachel Emily
YES. This is what I was hoping to get, more story with Dmitri and Troy, and where we meet Troy's family and he decides to come out to them.

Well, turns out it wasn't as big of a deal as Troy worried it would be! Loved Troy's family and was very happy that we got more story with these boys and their adorable dogs!
Ottilee B.
I liked this. It did get to be a Hallmark-- but it was saved by the fistfight at the Eve dinner table. (I cheered on Troy, who has ptsd and attacked his bro. Davey who really needed one. good. POP.)

I gave this 4.5 stars.
Lisa
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a novella read. Troy is a veteran and suffering with PTSD and in a relationship with Dimitri. With Christmas fast approaching, Troy has to return home to his large family and not only confess about his illness, but also tell them about Dimitri. As always with these types of gatherings, especially involving family, things never go smoothly.

This was a surprisingly lite, warm and sweet read. This is the second book in the series, but can be read as a stand alone. However, I haven't read th
Jenny Wood
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yess!!!
I was so happy to see more of Troy and Demitri. I loved this one.
It's time to go home for the holiday's and Troy's mom is expecting him home.
Problem is, as a devout, Italian-catholic, he hasn't come out to his family, yet.
I love the banter between these two and I love that Demitri pulled his head out and
is so in love with Troy. No doubts in this one and I'm glad about that. I hated for them
to be so uncertain, like Demitri might get scared and walk away again. I couldn't handle that;

Wha
Nicole Henderson
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Katherine
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Home for Christmas but not the same

This was a pretty heavy follow-up to Incoming, not surprising given how the original story didn't pull any punches. Troy and Dimitri go to Troy's home for Christmas to meet the family. Troy has not yet come out to his family and isn't sure he will be able to. But when home for the holidays with the entire family things are revealed about his family, some good and some bad, and it seems that coming out will be the only way to get through, though there may not be
Carien
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Not quite what I expected. I have not read the first in the series, but I am guessing this could have been part of book 1.
Troy and Dimitri clearly need each other and I am always in favour of a service man getting a happy ever after. The reality of PTSD and service dogs helping soldiers will always get my support
Liza
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was the perfect follow-up to the first story. I loved reading about Dmitri and Troy's first Christmas together. It was not an easy one and there were a few tough decisions, like if Dmitri would accompany Troy to West Virginia and whether or not Troy would actually come out to his family. It was very emotional for a short and I really enjoyed it!
Lyndac
What a great update! Again, would have been a 5* if there was just an editor!!! I love the way this author writes and expresses all the feels in the books, but please, please, please get a decent editor. The reader is going along really loving this book then BAM gets totally pulled out with name or location swapping.
Jaimed
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it

I really wish that we got to see more of the family dynamic and that we got more time with our leading men. I think that there is more to the family and more time should be spend with Sean.
Still a nice, quick read.
Simera
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, military, romance, series
This is a short story into Troy and Dimitri's lives. Troy is going home for Christmas and he is nervous since they don't he is gay.
This is a sweet story of family, love and everything that comes with being in a relationship.
Maria Nickerson
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got this book for an honest review. This was my first book, that I have read that had gay characters in it. Wasn't sure if I was going to read it, its different for me. But I did and it out , I enjoyed reading it. The way the story was portrayed was great!
Dawn B
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great book from this truly talented author.

Troy's mental health issues are treated with care, and his "outing" is handled perfectly. I can't wait for the next in this series, and have in fact already pre-ordered it.
Mary Mary
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
this short story was exactly what I needed! i missed Troy and Dmitri and it was awesome to read some more about them.
this is a story about coming out, supporting people You care about and being a family. i loved Troy's family, well moat of it, especially his nonna.
Alisa
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a follow up on Dmitri and Troy and gave them their much deserved hea. I enjoyed this one a lot also.
Tammy
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Troy and Dimitri! So glad that Momma Johnson and family were so accepting of Dimitri. So glad there wasn't a lot of drama at Christmas time.
Carey
Oct 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Good coming out story docked one star for the lousy editing (lots of missed words towards the end of it)
Tailtiu
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
3,5*
Kristi
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very sweet romance. It needed some better editing, but the story itself was great.
Paisleyrowan
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: normmal, reviewed, on-blog
This was funny, sweet and charming. Just as expected, really. And, of course, there was a jerk to counterbalance all the sweetness. And a PTSD incident. But everything works out perfectly. Yay magical holidays and almost perfect families. I hope Sean gets a story later on. He could be interesting.
cmbookdiva
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow.....I just can't get enough of Troy and Dmitri.
Garth Mailman
Jan 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I sense a double entendre with this title. Another gay romance involving veterans with PTSD at Christmas time. Yet another book that could use a good editor.
Sue
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
CHRISTMAS MAGIC

This was a nervous trip home for Troy. Once Dmitri convinces him to take him, they have a magical Christmas in the West Virginia family home. This is a beautiful story, full of fun, drama and near fist fights. I miss Christmas in the mountains of WVA. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK AND THIS AMAZING SERIES!!!!
Beth
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Okay, I admit that I download this book (story? novella?) because (1) it was available on instaFreebie, (2) it's set in a town not far from where I live, and (3) I like a little romance now and then. It's a sweet little story, one with engaging characters (Troy's grandmother is my favorite), and a believable, if a bit sentimental, plot. It's clearly part of an larger series, but Wasp does a good job building the world her characters inhabit to make it accessible to new readers and encourage them ...more
Jillian MacLeod
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Even though I hadn't read the first book in this series, I didn't feel at all lost or confused. The characters are well drawn and interesting, and I immediately empathized with them. Despite Troy's family dynamic being totally foreign to me, it didn't feel contrived or unbelievable, and the story's resolution was neither too quick and easy, nor was it excessively difficult purely for the sake of angst and melodrama.

I'm definitely picking up the first book in the series, and keeping my eye on A.
Rachel
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.

This is the second book in this series and I would advise that it is read after book 1. There is a lot of back story about Troy and Dimitri that is needed to get the full feeling of this book.
I loved how crazy Troys family is and I loved how everybody knew but didn't know about Troy.
This had a lot going on in such a short book but it totally worked. I loved it all.
I can't wait for more in this series.
Bobbi
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this story! Got into the characters immediately! Great storyline and great characters very important in a good book. A must read! Could not put down!
After time spent raising children, earning several college degrees, and traveling the world with the U.S. State Department, she is returning to her first love - writing.

A dreamer and an idealist, Amy writes about people finding connection in a world that can seem lonely and magic in a world than can seem all too mundane. She invites readers into her characters’ lives and worlds when they are their

Veterans Affairs (3 books)
  • Incoming (Veterans Affairs, #1)
  • Paper Hearts (Veterans Affairs, #2)
  • Bronze Star (Veterans Affairs, #3)