Start by marking “The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding (Hercule Poirot, #33)” as Want to Read:
The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding (Hercule Poirot, #33)

The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding

(Hercule Poirot #35)

Agatha Christie’s seasonal Poirot and Marple short story collection, reissued with a striking new cover designed to appeal to the latest generation of Agatha Christie fans and book lovers.

First came a sinister warning to Poirot not to eat any plum pudding… then the discovery of a corpse in a chest… next, an overheard quarrel that led to murder… the strange case of the dead
Published November 3rd 2016 by Harper (first published October 24th 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding, please sign up.
Gergana
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding (Hercule Poirot, #33)
Adrian
January 2021 read for Poirot Group Read
So it appears I'm reading the same book twice in one long Group Read. Hmm, not quite the case despite the obvious evidence. The December 18 read was of the short story Christmas Adventure: Hercule Poirot which is an early version of The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding - a Hercule Poirot Short Story, So in 2018 I read all the stories in the book rather than just the title story. Hence when we get to reading the updated version and other stories in Decem
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding (Hercule Poirot #35), Agatha Christie

Agatha Christie's seasonal Poirot and Marple short story collection.

The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding and a Selection of Entrees is a short story collection written by Agatha Christie and first published on 24 October 1960. It is the only Christie first edition published in the UK that contains stories with both Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple, the writer's two most famous detectives. It comprises six cases.

تاریخ نخ
Evgeny
The anthology consists of the following short stories:

The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding. Poirot was persuaded to find a historical ruby stolen from a foreign prince. Trying to get to it, Poirot ended up in a traditional British family during a celebration of Christmas - all done according to the best British traditions. Poirot was able not only to recover the ruby, but also to solve a minor but annoying problem his hosts were facing.
Pudding

A good story which made me feel like trying to find a plac
Dave Schaafsma
The home stretch of my Poirot run! #33, and the story, “The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding” (a.k.a. The Theft of the Royal Ruby) is a light-hearted family tale set at Christmas-time, which I'll admit is not the kind of story I would typically go out of way to read. Oh, it features a murder, of course, but hey, it’s Christmas, so it’s the least grisly murder mystery. The story is part of a short story collection, which I read quickly, not that interested in most of them, and not a mystery sho ...more
Phrynne
A nice little collection of short stories, mostly starring Hercule Poirot and one about Miss Marple. The title story about the Christmas pudding was the best one with a clever idea and a number of possible murderers. A couple of the other stories were not so effective. I must admit I do not really enjoy short stories. I always feel they stop just when I want them to get going. These ones however were not bad!
Vikas Singh
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-book
A collection of six short stories, five of then featuring Hercule Poirot and one with Miss Marple. The first story -The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding is Christie's tribute to the wonderful time she had during Christmas time at her brother in laws house. The last story Greenshaw's folly is the one Christie wrote to raise money for her local church. Compared to her other stories, the plots here are weaker but they still hold your attention. Average read ...more
Sumit RK
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short story collection featuring 6 stories incl The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding,
The Mystery of the Spanish Chest, The Under Dog, Four and Twenty Blackbirds, The Dream and Greenshaw's Folly.
All the stories were good. But of all the stories, The Mystery of the Spanish Chest, The Under Dog ,The Dream and Greenshaw's Folly really stood out. The plot, the characters and the main mystery, all were truly excellent and unique. If you are a Poirot fan and if you enjoy short stories, you will
Stephanie Anze
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
"....but by all accounts you are not a fool, eh, M. Poirot?"
He laughed breezily.
"Those who have thought so have been sadly mistaken," said Poirot placidly.

Hercule Poirot is once again on the case, or cases, shall we say. In this collection of six short stories Poirot is back and just as eager as ever to keep investigating. Wether in a countryside manor or in the city, where murder is concerned, Poirot is the goods.

The year is winding down and I wanted to have one last adventure with my favorite
Antoinette
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 STARS.

This book comprised 6 short stories- 5 with Hercule Poirot and one with Miss Marple. The only Christmas story was the first- The Adventures of the Christmas Pudding. Light quick read- perfect for the pre Christmas madness cause if you are like me it is difficult to concentrate at this time of the year.
I always enjoy the way both Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple’s minds work.
Enjoyable read!
Lena
Dec 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What's a better way to start off Christmas than a hot cup of Coffee and a short, festive murder book? ☕🎄✨ ...more
Veronique
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This book of Christmas fare may be described as “The Chef’s Selection.” I am the Chef!”

In the foreword by Agatha Christie, we are presented with two main courses, a selection of entrees, and a sorbet, all in the shape of short stories. These shorter formats are not usually my favourite fare but these were easy to consume, even if some were tastier than others :O)

* The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding (a.k.a The Theft of the Royal Ruby)
* The Mystery of the Spanish Chest
* The Under Dog
* Four a
Janete
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in my mother language. Almost all the stories are interesting, but I'd prefer that these 6 short stories would have been turned into 6 long and complete novels. Short stories don't please me so much; I always think they end abruptly, have little development and last very little. ...more
Brooklyn Tayla
These short stories were all exquisite - I couldn't choose a favourite one, for I loved them all. Poirot and Aunt Jane Marple never disappoint, nor does their creator, Agatha Christie. Each mystery was fabulous as they were intriguing! I recommend this to any fan of 'cozy crime', or anyone who's just looking for a great set of mysteries to read :) ...more
Dan Myatt
I always find Agatha Christie short stories to be a mixed bag and with that in mind I reread this series as my bookclubs final choice of the year and was pleased that all the stories held up to be at least 4 stars each.

Don't get me wrong, some of them weren't amazing! But they were still enjoyable.

The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding - Exceptional as always, Christmas, A country house and deception 👍

The Mystery of the Spanish Chest - A brilliant example of Poirot exercising his little grey c
Lata
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable collection of short stories.
-The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding (a.k.a The Theft of the Royal Ruby): 4.5 stars. I loved how Poirot chatted with the lady of the house, and how he got along with the kids. I liked how this relationship helped him flush out the murderer.
-The Mystery of the Spanish Chest: 4.5 stars. As soon as Poirot examined the chest, I had to throw out my assumptions. I didn't figure out the murderer, but I enjoyed watching Poirot work in this story.
-The U
Bill Lynas
A reasonably good collection of Agatha Christie short stories, with some lovely moments of humour. I expecially liked Poirot being more concerned with there being adequate heating in a house he was visiting rather than the crime itself.
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
3.5 stars. A fun collection of crime mysteries solved by Hercule Poirot, with a bonus one solved by Miss Marple. Sadly only one story in the collection of 6 is actually set at Christmas time, so this wasn't as 'Christmassy' as I was hoping. Overall the stories are well structured for such short crime snippets, revealing and resolving themselves in Christie's signature dramatic style.

As with all Christie's novels the attitudes towards servants being best when they have no discernible personality,
Mizuki
The first story about the Christmas Pudding is great! If you wanted to make Mr. Poirot feel at home, what can be better than stirring up a murder mystery for him during his Christmas holiday? And all these old fashioned British Christmas customs are so endearing!

However, the rest of the stories are still...very standard, not bad but nothing special. I even DNF-ed one of the stories. So, 3 stars only.
Poonam
Another Christmas Mystery- involving a theft of a Royal Ruby. Quiet transparent as to the cuplrit but a good read.
Suzanne
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, holiday, classics
The author did an excellent job of putting complete mysteries into a short form. While one of them featured Miss Marple, most starred Poirot, and he was quite his devious self.
Petra
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this was delightful. I finally understand why people love Hercule Poirot novels so much. The Murder on the Orient Express wasn't a successful start for me but this one I loved! It has five small cases. Only the first one was Christmas related but I enjoyed all of them equally. There is something so cosy about curling up in a bed and listening to Hercule Poirot's adventures and in the future I will definitely listen some of Christie's mysteries in audio format. My favourite case of the coll ...more
Suvi
Around Christmastime, I figured it'd be nice to start a tradition and read something light and Christmasy (but not fluffy), and Christie knocked on my door again. Because the collections have a confusing publication history, I noticed I had actually read some of the stories before in another collection, but I couldn't remember the murderers anymore, so a reread was in order.

The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding was the only one set during Christmas, and in her foreword Christie explains how her
Ken
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable collection of short stories!

I'm not the biggest fan of these types of collections, especially murder mysteries as I like the stories to slowly reveal the clues. I also tend to find that most have one or two weaker tales, but I didn't find that with this collection.
There's 6 in total, 5 of them including Poirot and the last featuring Miss Marple.

The titular story 'The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding' was my favorite, especially at this festive time of year.
The Mystery of th
Tanja Berg
"The adventures of the Christmas pudding" is the longest and the bed of the short stories in this book. Poirot celebrates Christmas in the English countryside in order to find and return a stolen ruby. It's quite funny even, although the mystery is not a complicated one. ...more
Cindy
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the Poirot series and this short tale was entertaining. Recording is a stage play with full cast. Recommended.
Susan in NC
Dec 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with all short story collections, some are weaker than others, but overall a fun collection- seemed odd to have the Miss Marple story here, it’s not Christmas themed or otherwise related.

I read and reviewed “The Adventure of the Christmas pudding” as a short story, didn’t realize it was a collection. Here is my review of that story- https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5....

I’ll read the rest of the collection and review each story.

Mystery of the Spanish Chest - 3.5 stars - interesting, I’ve s
AnnaG
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery, glamour
This set of short stories feels like a set of ideas that Agatha Christie had for books that she didn't have time to write. Any and all of them could have been cracking books in their own right, but within the limitations of a short story you don't get the suspense and build up that you expect from a Christie. ...more
Utkarsh Kumar
4 golden stars for the Spanish chest. I had so much fun deciphering that one; that is rare with the dame, and makes me want to boast this one! The plot itself was simple and twisted, trademark Christie!

Other stories are decent, but pale in front.
Liz
Dec 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of six short stories by the Queen of Crime. The plots were all cleverly thought out and I didn’t always guess the ‘baddie’ but I definitely prefer her older, full length novels.
Pål
Jul 08, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rating of all short stories: (Rating from 1 to 5 stars)
The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding: 1.5
The Mystery of the Spanish Chest: 2
The Under Dog: 3.5
Four and Twenty Blackbirds: 3
The Dream: 3.5

Overall rating: 2.5

Likely won't be reading anymore short stories by Agatha Christie after this, other people might get enjoyment out of these collections but personally I found these stories to be rushed and lacking in creativity.

• Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)
  • Gold, Frankincense and Murder

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)