Start by marking “Someone To Hear Me” as Want to Read:
Someone To Hear Me

Someone To Hear Me

Kohan has a simple life but he’s happy. The only thing that’s missing is that special someone to come home to at night. That is until he literally bumps into Ares, a man who sparks his interest, but he rushes off before Kohan can talk to him. When he sees the stranger again, Kohan is determined that he's not going to let him escape this time.
What Kohan doesn’t know is he's
Kindle Edition, 1 edition, 307 pages
Published May 8th 2017 by T.A. McKay (first published May 5th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Someone To Hear Me, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Someone To Hear Me
Nazanin
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, m-m
4.25 Stars

"The world is obsessed with beauty, but only a certain standard of it. Perfect teeth, flawless skin and a body that is tight and smooth. But who said that’s what beauty is? Who told the people that had imperfections they weren’t beautiful? I just see those imperfections differently and want others to embrace them. Celebrate them."

Ares works as a cleaner at the local newspaper offices but he works there when the office is closed. He couldn’t be around people or in crowded places.
T.A. McKay
Apr 27, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
****Please be aware*****

If you purchased this book on the 8th May 2017, please update the file that amazon sent you. The wrong, unedited file has been sent and the new one is now in place.

Apologies for any harm this caused your reading.

T.a.

photo you saw me_zpsljqqdgt5.jpg
Ben Willis
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don't think it's a secret from the list of books on my page that I read stories about DA and the reason is because I survived a very long and trying relationship that was not only abusive but toxic. I guess I read these books to see how they are portrayed and to see how authors handle the subject. One thing I will say, I am 100% behind warnings and trigger warnings. I do because of my past hold too much faith in the author that they will list what is coming my way as I read. And I
AG Reads
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I liked the book. I liked the MCs and seeing their journey together. The issues from Ares' past were dealt with sensitively and without the trap of everything turning rosy the first time he kissed Kohan. We also get to see Kohan mature as he deals with Ares and also his family.

I did have a few problems. I wish the book had not pandered to the overly used plotline of the ex from hell who suddenly reappears. The book did not need it, and the author had to force some points past believability in
Page
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Wow. This story grips you from the beginning. Apart from the grammatical errors and typos (which were aplenty), I understand that the unedited version was accidentally released, and I may have gotten that copy; nonetheless it's a really good story. It's rather short and I quite frankly don't expect to get so involved with characters in such a short time, but damn if I didn't.
Heed the warnings though! Those abuse scenes are graphic and written so well that I actually felt like I was there.
Anu
May 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I received an advanced copy of this book to review.

I found this really hard to get into. Not because of the subject matter but...I just didn't feel connected to either Kohan or Ares or their story. It's like...the story wanted to be so much more but it didn't quite make it. The book concentrated so much on Ares and his past, I didn't get a handle on Kohan at all. The sideplot with his family's struggles again felt...not quite enough.

I was really looking forward to this, and I have enjoyed the
Caroline Brand
REVIEWED FOR LOVE BYTES

3.5 Stars

I have been debating on how to write this review and rate this book for a couple of days and I’m really not sure if it’s any clearer to me now than it was when I finished it.

Someone to Hear Me is quite a bleak and dark story that has vivid on-page abuse and rape. Ares is trapped in a cycle of abuse with a husband who is a bully and a tormentor. Micah thinks of Ares as his property, as his punching bag and as his prisoner – there is absolutely nothing redeeming
Katerina
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book fits into a series of books I recently read and all of them deal with the subject of domestic violence.
The approach was different and each book brought interesting aspects with it. While in Toxic the violence is directly in front of your eyes, we deal in The Struggle Within and Someone To Hear Me with the consequences of this violence and the return to life. A more or less normal life, as everyone imagines and wants.

The victims and ultimately the survivors of these unimaginable
Jax
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The subject matter was handled well and I thought the main characters were well written.
Annika
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Someone that hears you. Someone that sees you. Isn’t that what we all want? But what if you catch the eye of the wrong person? How long will it take for you to heal? To start trusting – to start living again?
”Darkness is only scary if you’re alone.”

Ares’s story will break your heart in so many ways. And in a way, it’s a story told so many times before. It is not new, to any of us. In a dark and depressing way, you could argue that his story is (unfortunately) timeless.
But that will
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lbr, mm, ebook

This is a very emotional and heartbreaking story. Ares is a man trying to get on with his life in the aftermath of an extremely abusive relationship that almost killed him, and much of this story shows him trying to deal with the results.

Ares is a total sweetheart you just want to wrap up in a big hug and never let go. He spent many years suffering from his then husband’s abuse, making excuses for it and enduring while his self worth was whittled away. The final attack which took away his
Dara Nelson
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Some books you read because they're fluff - they pick you up and make you feel good, happy, loving.
Some books you read because they're intense - nail-biting, making your heart beat faster, making you sweat.
And then there are books like this one - brutal yet brilliant, sad yet beautiful, heartbreaking yet filled with hope. Ares will simultaneously break your heart and fill you with awe - awe at his strength, awe at his courage, awe at his ability to not only survive but still be a functioning
Elin
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm finding I'm getting a taste for this authors books, this is my third of hers and I like the way she writes.
While this was a heavy book, going in to details of what Ares went through, I had moments nearing the end where I wanted to throw my kindle at a wall. A pillow at the very least nearly found its way across the room.

I wish the book had had its focus on Ares's recovery and Kohan's family trouble. It would have been enough. Bringing back the ex, who I recognised early on, didn't add to
Shaztwirl
Jun 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I've read a few books with domestic violence as the main theme and I think it's very important to get it right. For the most part, this author has done a good job but there were a couple of things that made me shake my head in disbelief.

SPOILERS: When your boyfriend, who suffered badly in a previous relationship appears at the door with a black eye, you don't ignore it for 3 days before thinking "Oh maybe I should have checked why he has a black eye".
Given that the CPS let him down and the
Margaret
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
TA Mckay has done it again.

No matter the genre she writes about she makes you fall in love with the characters and just want to be able to reach out and offer support to them.

Kohan wants to meet that perfect man, the one who will cuddle with him on the couch, make dinner together, nights out and someone who he can love completely.

Ares knows what it is to feel true fear, knows what it's like to dread when your husband comes home. Trying to judge the mood he's in, can you make it better because it
joani
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good story and deep but

There were a lot of errors...namely repeated lines and some paragraphs. Also who ever thought the epilogue should go before the "bonus scene" was out or their mind. The bonus scene should have been the last chapter and then the epilogue. It belonged a part of the story. What happened?? The story was very good besides all the errors...some things we needed to jumps into the past but other we lived through all the abuse and fear with Ares. No to mention their
Zuzu
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 stars = It was okay

The first 75% was a good read for me. (view spoiler)
Victorias' KeepinitReal
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Deep and Touching! This book tells the dramatic story of Ares and the crippling affects of domestic violence. T. A. McKay unveils how domestic violence transformed Ares physically, mentally and emotionally. The abuse is described in great detail, leaving nothing to the imagination. It was riveting and very emotional. I fell in love with Ares. I wanted to hold Ares and protect him as his story unfolds. He is such a beautiful yet wounded man; and stronger than even he can fathom...until. WOW! This ...more
Sal
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m sitting here totally speechless, honestly don’t know how I am going to put into words what I am feeling right now except to say this book deserves so many more than five stars. T.A had a way of writing stories that drag you in but this one is breathtaking.
Ares and Kohen have broken my heart and then healed it so many times reading their story. This really is a hard story to read and yet there is light in the darkness, light that shines so brightly that it’s blinding in places. It’s a story
booklover
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ares & Kohan = WOW!
This story, due to Ares back story is NOT an easy read whatsoever!!
Ares is quite a contradiction; Strong yet vulnerable, fearless yet scared, happy yet sad.
He's gone through so much and meeting Kohan makes him feel things he never expected.
Kohan is such a great character as he's everything Ares needs but doesn't realise.
This book really put my emotions through the ringer BUT, here's where it gets hard. There were a few places which had typos, at times the grammar was
Katie Townsend
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow

Someone to hear me sent me on a emotional rollercoaster

My heart broke for these two amazing men kohan and Ares Ares trying to get away from the person who abused him for years he was so strong he meets Ares a wonderful man who shows him the right way to treat somebody

The connection with these two is amazing you can feel it on every page

I really connected with kohan and Ares on a personal level they stole my heart

I cried but the tears and emotion are so worth the tears

Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I liked it a lot. At times it got bogged down in the domestic abuse descriptions but I prefer that - I connect better when things are not sugar coated. Flashbacks were effective here. I do agree Kohan did something strange towards the end- but it wasn't quite what everyone made it out to be. I did not think it that out of character. Though a build up to him being so hurt might have helped make that action palatable. Also that resolution, being built from the beginning, was too quick. Still - ...more
Jewel Boo
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A minute to collect my thoughts

You ever read a book that is written so beautifully and raw and honest that is soothes a bone deep pain you thought was healed. As if you were interviewed by the author personally and they wrote something for you. To you. Because they heard you.
This book did that for me.
T.A McKay took on a subject and showed how love is when you're a victim. A survivor. A friend. An abuser. A child. And most of all just how hard it can be to find love in yourself after you've been
Kaila
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this was amazing... holy crap... you have no idea how raw and real this was... i have no words to be honest... it was raw... it was real.. and the things that ares goes through and how he is amazingly strong and wonderful even though he went through it all.. its just.. amazing.. also.. i am very curious to see if there will be another because i need to know what happens with the brother. lol i loved this
Lily R
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this may have been the first book I actually struggled with...not because I didnt like it...but because it was just too much...too raw, too painful, too real....some of the scenes actually made me sick...and the moment I realized who Duncan was, and just by the way I new the moment Kohans brother said he met his boyfriend at the gym,....at that moment I closed the book and couldnt even look at it for a few hours...but Im really glad I finished it, I just never want to read it again... ...more
wild_orchid
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh the feels...

I was a blubbering mess while reading this book. I was expecting your typical hurt/comfort story but man was I blown away. "Someone To Hear Me" is about what it looks like to give your all, be beaten down, live, love, and survive. I finished this book in one sitting, it was gritty and raw and I couldn't get enough of it. Please heed the trigger warnings, as this book does contain graphic on page domestic abuse scenes. It is not for the faint of heart.
SaBine
Jun 19, 2019 rated it liked it
3,5 . This story is quite a bit to take, my heart was bleeding for Ares

But I mostly coincide with another review: the scene near to the end is not believeable, how did Kohan not notice something behind the bruise on Ares' face?
And I didn't much like the writing style, I think it's a little bit off. It certainly could have needed one or more betareaders. I'm not native english, but even I could see several minor or major errors....
TracyG.
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
The prologue was heart breaking. I have been there. The book up until 80% was good but then a spanner’s thrown in and we are back with the abuse. Then the book just finished, ended without an ending. Yes there is an epilogue but I felt the book needed more before the epilogue.

Not my favourite read. Sorry
Ayla
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: abuse, damn-emotions
I enjoyed this book! It was definitely an emotional read and pulls at your heart but it is definitely worth the read. I seriously love Ares and Kohan, even though Kohan made me a little crazy sometimes. I think that the author did a really good job with such a sensitive subject. This is the first book I have read from this author and I will definitely be reading more!
Julie
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved, m-m
The book was intense and there was a lot of abuse in it which was difficult but it forms part of the story and apart from a few typos, it was well written. ( of understand the unedited book was published by mistake and that I may have downloaded that one and the corrected version is now out). It had me guessing the whole time and I loved the friendship between Kohan and Ares.

• Owl's Slumber (Trials of Fear, #1)
  • Safe and Sound (Twist of Fate, #2)
  • The Struggle Within
  • Free Hand (Irons and Works, #1)
  • From Ashes (Heathens Ink #3)
  • Too Close
  • Lost and Found (Twist of Fate, #1)
  • Once Bitten (Javier Coven, #1)
  • Forgotten: Luca (The Four, #1)
  • Arrows Through Archer
  • Pretty Perfect (Boys in Makeup, #1)
  • Shades of Darkness (Trials of Fear, #2)
  • Locked In Silence (Pelican Bay, #1)
  • Mr. Frosty Pants (Home for the Holidays, #1)
  • In the Lion's Den
  • Second Wind
  • Facing West (Forever Wilde, #1)
  • Unbroken (The Protectors #12)
After being married for ten years and raising three beautiful kids I decided it was time to do something for myself. My passion for reading bled over with a need to tell the story that was repeating in my head and that was the birth of my first book. The rest they say is history.

I love the creative release that writing gives you, being able to take someone away to a different world feels amazing.