Start by marking “Overload Flux (Central Galactic Concordance #1)” as Want to Read:
Overload Flux (Central Galactic Concordance #1)

Overload Flux

(Central Galactic Concordance #1)

The Central Galactic Concordance has been stable for two centuries, but trouble is brewing. A pandemic is affecting hundreds of civilized planets, and someone is stealing the vaccine...

Brilliant investigator Luka Foxe's hidden mental talent is out of control, making him barely able to function in the aftermath of violence, and the body count is rising. The convoluted trail
Published November 2016 by Chavanch (first published October 1st 2014)

Carolyn F.
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually start a book that an author has requested me to read and review with a sigh because I usually just find the book okay and have to come up with something nice to say.

BUT NOT WITH THIS BOOK! It was fantastic from beginning to end. I loved how the two main characters are both damaged in different ways and find a safe haven with each other. I'm crazy about the ending of the book and can't wait to read the next book in the series. I would recommend this to any sci-fi, sci-fi romance or just
Lyndi W.
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 5-star
This is the kinda sci-fi romance I'm looking for! Space battles, fire fights, secret genetic manipulation, futuristic tech I can just barely comprehend, psychic abilities, alien planets, and all that shit with a slow burn romance on top? You fuckin' kidding me?

Mei
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
A great book and great story!
I loved both Luka and Mairwen! Both flawed but extremly likable!

Luka is functioning better in society, while Mairwen is almost a robot. She's been altered on DNA level to make her a perfect killing machine, but, while she escaped, she's not able to interact with other people except on a most basic level. To make the bad situaition worse, she must hide her abilities and if wounded cannot seek medical assitance except, even here, on a most basic level. She goes into h
Wyrdness
I really quite enjoyed this. Considering everything that takes place in this book happens in the span of a month at the most, it's a pretty wild ride. I found that the writing was pleasantly error free for the most part and had a smooth flow that kept me bobbing along nicely, though there were a few times when there was a bit of senseless "future speak" thrown in to complicate matters. Sometimes a rope is just a rope, it doesn't need to be a synth-flex bindcord to get the message across. However ...more
Shari Kay
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
3.5✭

I enjoyed this mostly. Can't decide whether or not to round up or down for GR rating...err. Why can't we have a larger scale, say, 1-10 or the option for half-stars. Anyhow, 3 1/2 stars meant I quite liked it and she's a new to me author...so I'll round up!

Mairwen is an escaped Death Hunter. She was taken as a child and genetically altered, reprogrammed and subjected to horrendous treatment in the guise of training...until she finally escaped 4 years ago. She's gone dark--off the map, living
Eva Millien
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trouble is brewing, investigator Luka Foxe’s hidden mental talent is out of control, Mairwen Morganthur wants to remain an autonomous night shift guard and their only hope for survival lies in revealing their dark secrets and learning to trust one another in this action packed sci-fi romance.

Mairwen has hidden herself away from her enemies by hiding her extraordinary skills under the boring guise of a nightshift guard and the reader can’t help but get caught up in the story as this young woman i
Laura (Kyahgirl)
5/5; 5 stars; A+

This was a great example of high quality sci-fi romance. The romantic element wasnt the main focus, even though it was strong. The world building was interesting and believable. I am immediately going to buy the next one on the series because I dont want to leave this world!
Sophia
Audiobook Review

After being utterly riveted to the prequel, I was revved to dive into Overload Flux for more of the CGC world of suspense and intrigue in the future among the stars along with the sensational narration work of Nicole Poole.

Overload Flux introduced its main characters over a grisly murder scene. Neither are exactly what they seem with their psychic abilities that must be hidden particularly Mairwen Morganthur's. She can't be discovered, but the longer she acts as the clever and t
Melanie
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was give a copy of this book by the Author for an honest review .... always dangerous with me, but here I go honesty is what you'll get!!

I'm not going into all the blurb you can read it above :) Here goes ....

My interest was captured from the first page and didn't wane throughout it's a fast paced Sci-Fi romantic adventure of about 300 pages and I really enjoyed it. Thankfully it was well edited and I didn't find myself tripping over mistakes throughout - this is a pet peeve of mine.

The two ma
Kickarse Reviews
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, sci-fi, romance
Mairwen Morganthur lives undercover as a night watch guard, trying to hide from Citizen Protection Service (CPS) the organisation that bought her, modified her and made her the galaxy's most deadliest assassin. For four years she has been assumed dead to the CPS and she wants to keep it that way.

Then one night, she's called to work personal security for crime scene investigator Luka Foxe, who isn't all he seems and in that one chance encounter both their worlds get turned upside down.

No longer
Riley
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are so many things I liked about Overload Flux. Action and intrigue make up most of the story. There are crime scene investigations, treks over a mystery planet, space battles and lots of jogging. Fast-paced, there is not an idle page in this book!

And there is romance. While not a huge part of the book, it is important aspect of the two main characters. Mairwen and Luka are two people with special abilities. Both have cursed their abilities in the past, but when Mairwen and Luka meet and
Pippa DaCosta
LOVE this cover... and it's only 99p. *One-click*

Lexie
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rule #1 when dealing with Mairwen? If she's quiet you're likely to get hurt. Badly. Absolute love for this book.

++++

Firstly, not as in love with that cover as I could be. I like Mairwen...but Luka looks too...not something. Not like he's been through enough maybe (Mairwen is, I think, in her mid-30's based on contextual data and Luka is in his late 30's/early 40's?). That's a minor gripe since I read this on my Tablet and only had a fleeting glance at the cover before I went to make this post.

Se
Maddy
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on my blog, LoveBooksandBlush.

*I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I love reading science fiction and fantasy books above all genres. The recent book I’ve picked up, Overload Flux, by Carol Van Natta, is the former. This novel takes place in the far-off future, where interstellar travel between planets and planet colonizations are deemed normal. The main characters of this novel are a crime scene investigator, Luka Foxe, and a seemingly innocuous
Elizabeth
Originally published at West Coast Book Reviews.

I loved the finesse with which Van Natta handles Mairwen and Luka's individual back-stories. Their motivations and challenges are there, clear and sufficient, without overwhelming. There's just enough to explain and engage with Mairwen and Luka without dumping too much emphasis on previous events. It's handled in such a quiet way that every time there's a little more the plot moves forward, not the other way.

I also really enjoyed the subtle humour
Marta Cox
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was offered a copy of this to read and review as I do occasionally enjoy a sci fi romance but I got a whole lot more than I was expecting with this book. First of all it's a good full length which I really appreciated and then of course there is the fact that it's a riveting storyline . Add to this complex characters with truly amazing talents and abilities and im sure that many readers will be rendered speechless at the complexities of this book.
This book features two very different main cha
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
My expectations were low when I started Overload Flux. It did not take me long to realize how wrong those expectations were. Overload Flux is a riveting adventure that brings two very interesting characters together with unexpected results.

Luka Foxe reached too low on a case and now cannot turn his talent off. Mairwen Morganthur is living as low key a life as she can after escaping from the Citizen Protection Service. When Mairwen is assigned as security to Luka things begin to happen.

I loved bo
Nina Life of a Bookworm
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, kindle
I must admit that I investigated a bit about the book when author contacted me for review request. Although it’s crazy at work and in my private life (as you can see it took almost a week to write a review, and it influenced on the length of my review) I decided to give her a chance.

I must admit that I am not a big fan of Sci-fi genre. It is interesting to me to watch it all on TV so I wasn’t sure what to expect from book but in the end it turned out well.

I don’t want to write spoilers and spoil
Lola
This review is for the audiobook edition of Overload Flux and at the same time is my re-read review for this book as I read the book version earlier this year before re-reading it in audiobook.

I don't think I could've picked a better book for my first audiobook. Not only did I love Overload Flux when I first read it earlier this year, but the narrator did such a good job with the narration. I think I actually loved it even more than the first time I read it.

Overload Flux is the first book in thi
Debrac2014
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, fast paced story! I found the beginning a bit confusing with the deaths of investigators but once I got into the story, it hooked me! Good story line and great characters!

2nd reading! Mairwen and Luka are my favorite couple of the series!
Dan
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable. I look forward to more by this author.
Lola
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Overload Flux was such a great read with the perfect mix of romance, complex characters, a solid story and an awesome sci-fi world that came alive. I first heard of Carol Van Natta when I read Pets Trade in the Pets in Space 2 anthology. Ever since I've been meaning to check out more of her books and I finally decided to buy the box set containing the first 3 books in this series. Before I finished Overload Flux I had bought the rest of the series available at the moment as that's how good this ...more
Harmony Kent
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed on behalf of The Review Board by Harmony Kent.

I received a free mobi copy of this book, in exchange for an honest review.

Meet Mairwen and Luka, who both have extra-normal talents that they both wish to hide. Human modification is commonplace, and the CPS likes to control and contain anyone with ‘talent’ such as mind reading and tracking, among others. Their investigation into the homicide of two company operatives at a warehouse leads the two erstwhile partners to a supposedly abandoned
Frederick Crook
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This sci-fi adventure is, for the most part, a fun read. The characters, Luka Foxe and Mairwen Morganthur are very well developed and are quite likable. Luka Foxe is a forensic investigator working for a company called La Plata in the investigative division. He meets Mairwen for the first time in this story. She’s a quiet blonde woman with highly efficient combat skills provided by what is inferred as bio-electronics and genetic engineering.
The two of them are investigating the murder of two ot
Barbara
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review, and honestly, I loved this book! I started out with my expectations a bit low, but as the story went on, I realized just how much I was enjoying these two very damaged people and their adventures in not only solving a mystery, but in finding love as well. Mairwen Morganthur is hiding out as a night-shift guard, keeping her super-human skills under wraps to avoid detection from the brutal government agency that created her. Luka ...more
Rachel
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, romance
I was offered the chance to read and review this book by the author and I am so flattered! I am not the easiest reviewer, but I did really enjoy this book! It's "light" sci-fi, you don't have to love math or know everything about physics, instead it's a combination mystery-action-romance that happens to take place in SPACE! I do not include spoilers in my reviews, so you'll just have to read it if you want the specifics!

I found the writing and pacing strong and really liked the main characters.
Nan Loyd
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great book! I e-met the author here and she asked if I'd check her book out since we both liked a similar author. I'm so glad I did. It may seem a bit long-winded (in a GOOD way) as compared to most sci-fl romance light and fluffy out there - in other words, there is a real plot, real suspense, well-built characters and the world they live in? Awesome!! I loved, loved, loved the heroine. She had such a horrid past and had no clue how to live. It was so poignant watching her learn, not jus ...more
Tim Reynolds
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author contacted me after seeing I read, and enjoyed, a series by another author who's story was a similar style and asked if I would read her book and write an honest review after. First, let me point out that although this book is in a similar style as the other series, I have to say it is in NO way a knock-off or a copy in any way. They are distinctly different.

Now, with that out of the way, it is review time. The basis of the book, and hopefully soon to be full series, is someone in the
Lee Benkers
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, romance
The character buildup was done well and the characters remained consistent. I liked that Mairwen was calm yet tough. She was badass but wasn’t the in-your-face-tough-girl type, which can be extremely annoying. She makes you want to know more about her. Luka was interesting. I found him to be quite mysterious, which I liked, but he was also a bit too kind and sweet and gentle. I wanted just a touch of edginess to him.

The love story was cute. It was a nice change to have two people who are good to
Kat W
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, sci-fi, 2014-read
Interesting book to open readers up to the world of the Central Galactic Concordance novels! Upon finishing the book, it gave me the distinct feeling this was more of an introduction/prologue to the world with the addition of a sweet, growing romance between two people with rough pasts. I really liked the hero and heroine, finding their personality types and ages to be unusual for what I have read prior to it(maybe I just haven't read enough books to know), and completely likeable. Likeable is a ...more
  • Wreck of the Nebula Dream
  • On a Rogue Planet (The Phoenix Adventures, #3)
  • Trial and Temptation (Mandrake Company, #2)
  • Girl Gone Nova (Project Enterprise, #2)
  • My Name Is A'yen (A'yen's Legacy #1)
  • The Iron Admiral: Conspiracy (Ptorix Empire, #1)
  • Dark Horse (Class 5, #1)
  • Caught in Amber
  • A Hero for the Empire (The Dragon's Bidding, #1)
  • Stealing Mercury (Arena Dogs #1)
  • The Down Home Zombie Blues
  • Close Encounters (Alien Affairs, #1)
  • Children of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #2)
  • Tales From The SFR Brigade
  • Prophecy (Prophecy, #1)
Carol Van Natta writes science fiction and fantasy, including Overload Flux, Minder Rising, Zero Flux, Pico's Crush, and Jumper's Hope, the first five books in a space opera series; In Graves Below (Magic, NM) , a paranormal romance; and Hooray for Holopticon , a retro science fiction comedy. She shares her Fort Collins, CO home with a sometime mad scientist and various cats. Any violations ...more

Central Galactic Concordance (4 books)
  • Minder Rising (Central Galactic Concordance, #2)
  • Pico's Crush (Central Galactic Concordance, #3)
  • Jumper's Hope (Central Galactic Concordance, #4)