Start by marking “The Keeper of Portals” as Want to Read:
The Keeper of Portals

Read Book

The Keeper of Portals

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  38 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
‘All I have to do is think, walk through a door and I come out another. There is nowhere I cannot get to, nor any lock that can deny my passage.’
The Keeper of Portals lifted a hand and stroked the ancient black wood of the door.
‘I can do all that and yet, after 400 years, I still cannot open this door.’

Everything in the universe is maintained by its own keeper, from the mo
Published January 28th 2017 by Matador

To ask other readers questions about The Keeper of Portals, please sign up.
V.S. Nelson I have no idea. Sorry. I just picked a random date then bought books on that time period for research.
V.S. Nelson You're welcome! Posting copies of my story around the world has been a rewarding experience. As for a sequel, I think no. If I really really wanted to…moreYou're welcome! Posting copies of my story around the world has been a rewarding experience. As for a sequel, I think no. If I really really wanted to write one, then I probably could, but I'd rather keep it as a stand alone book.(less)

Lauren Stoolfire
I received a free ecopy of this novel from the author in exchange for an honest review.

After Martin and his mother move into this stately old mansion on a cliff's edge, he just happens to find a mysterious door in his room that when he walks through it it leads from the present day directly to the 1600s. While he's then and there he meets a maid called Isabel and the two learn that they'll have to move between time periods in order to stop her master from following through with his nefarious pla
Kayla (Kayla's Book Nook)
V.S. Nelson was the second author to directly request a book review from me, and I got as giddy as I did when I received my first one! In all truth, though, this book was just okay. Not my favourite, but I have for sure read worse books.

For a quick summary, The Keeper of Portals revolves around a 15-year old boy named Martin. In this dystopian world, there are keepers guarding every object. When Martin moves to a mysterious new house, he notices an unusual door in his bedroom that raises eyebrow
Kid Book Reviewer
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thoughts: I'll be completely honest: I wasn't expecting to enjoy THE KEEPER OF PORTALS as much as I did, which was why I was extremely delighted when I completed this book and realized it was one of the best books I've read in a long time. The characters, the setting, the action, the descriptions - Nelson nailed it all. Lately, I've been reading a lot of realistic fiction novels, so I was extremely pleased when Nelson offered me an ARC of THE KEEPER OF PORTALS in exchange for an honest review. L ...more
Aira  Cabrera
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars!

ARC received from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Martin and his mother move to mysterious and old house. Maybe house isn’t really the right term, more like mansion. He find a mysterious door in his room, and it turns out that this door leads directly to the past. Martin meets a lovely girl named Isabel, and they have to work together in order to stop the master of the house from fulfilling his evil plans that could put them all in danger.

I adore time travel books. They’re
Janel
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it

Before reading this book, I was a little apprehensive for several reasons: firstly, a google search of this book stated the target reading audience was middle grade. Secondly, this book falls in the sci-fi/fantasy genre, a genre I rarely read. However, when the author contacted me to say that in this book, everything in the universe has a keeper – a Keeper of Time, a Keeper of Casuality, a Keeper of Buttons etc etc – would I be interested in reading it? Curiosity proved strong and I gla
Réka
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Hazel
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This ARC was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review

Awaiting young adult readers in early 2017 is a fantasy story unlike any other. The Keeper of Portals is the debut novel of V.S. Nelson, the soon-to-be-published author with an imagination worth sharing. Incorporating the familiar concept of time travel into a new way of visualizing the world results in a story that will leave minds reeling.

Nelson’s theory is that every aspect of life has a keeper, a creature in charge of makin
Roxana Truţa
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Click here for the full review.

The plot

The story follows 15 year-old Martin, who recently moved in an enourmous, labyrinthine house, part of which is about to collapse into the sea. Little by little, due to some bizarre episodes that may or may not be related to the house itself, Martin discovers that the whole universe is under the protection of creatures called keepers. From the tiniest objects to time itself, everything has its very own such keeper. (...)

What I liked

First of all, I found the
Jacqueline The Pufflehuffle Kitteh
Isbn: 9781785898327. Release date: 28th January 2017. Matador Publishing. I received this book for review straight from the author.

‘I can do all that and yet, after 400 years, I still cannot open this door.’
Everything in the universe is maintained by its own keeper, from
TheBookbubble
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am always a bit nervous when reviewing a new author as you never know what it is you are letting yourself in for. I was a little more nervous because The Keeper of Portals is this authors first book! The start of this book was not so comforting, but I persisted through the first few chapters and was so pleased I did.

I agreed to review this book because the story really intrigued me. Martin has moved into a new home with his mother, and after a few days of exploring he hears a voice in his room
Karsyn
Received from NetGalley for my honest review
Completed 10/3/17
240 page ebook

This book was ok for me. I like time travel and I like funky mysterious houses so I thought this would be right up my alley. It had its good parts and boring parts and was just ok to good, not great.

I had a hard time connecting with the characters. They were pretty flat and dull though they did have a good adventurous spirit to them. They seemed to accept the abnormal pretty easily, which seemed weird at such young ages,
Emily Ross
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

This book was pretty good. The plot was decent, if slightly confusing to follow at times, but it makes you look at buttons in a different way, which is not something I can often say about a book. The plot twist at the end was pretty predictable, being as I guessed it at the beginning of the novel, but it felt pretty rewarding to read it.

Overall, it was a good book.
Lara Liz
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I ... well, I'm probably going to come up with a more coherent review at some stage, but right now I just need to kind of process because this book basically hit me round the head with sadness in the last five pages.

Ow.
The Book Lender
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
This is a difficult book to summarise, but I'll give it a go while trying to avoid being a spoilery spoiler who spoils.

15-year-old Martin and his mother have just moved into a once-grand house, which is now teetering dangerously on the edge of a crumbling cliff. As he's settling in to his new home, Martin meets a bizarre figure who can make doors lead to any other doorways in the world. He introduces himself as The Keeper of Portals ('Portals' for short), one of a series of Keepers tasked with m
George
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book starts off like a simple plot, but as the book continues, the plot splits into multiple avenues of thought and required concentration. The ending redeems all of the flaws with this book with the most satisfying conclusion to any book I have ever read. All the avenues of thought come together in a couple of pages.
Elisa Panjang
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fantastic journey! Recommended to science fiction fans! Suitable for children to adults.

-Won this book in a giveaway.
Linda
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
The cover image is misleading--it suggests that the tone is mystical, magical, and arcane, but the nature of the book is more accurately, "The fundamental nature of the universe is much quirkier than you realized."

The Keeper of Portals is whimsical yet poignant, touching on some deep themes (in a YA scope) while staying fun and clever. It does take a bit more of an investment at the beginning of the book--there are a lot of disconnected details that pile up early on that you have to trust will b
Sheryl Martin
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won this through Goodreads first reads and really enjoyed it. It was different than anything else I had read and that made it even better because it was all new and exciting.
Amanda
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I received my copy of The Keeper of Portals as a Goodreads giveaway - thank you!
The story follows teenaged Martin, living in the crumbling mansion of his ancestors with his mother, and Isabel, a feisty maid from the 17th century and the secret world of the Keepers, guardians of things great and small, tangible and intangible.
A hidden door opened, a portal to the past and race through time to stop a terrible future from happening.
A very enjoyable story.
Christina Clarry
Apr 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall 4 and 1/2 stars. This is a fantasy story unlike any other. A great imagination. The book incorporates the concept of time travel to and back from the 17th century. Meet an amazing range of Keepers. A complex plot which is challenging. The ending deserves five stars!
Poulami
Originally posted on Daydreaming Books. Click this link to read an interview with the author!

*I received an eARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.*

This book was really fun to read, though it had its ups and downs but I loved the overall journey and I'm glad I got to read this book.

Martin has just shifted to his ancestral home with his mother where he meets a strange creature who calls himself the Keeper of Portals. He has the ability to open all the doors in the univ
Book Gannet
If you like stories that are action driven, throwing you right into the plot from the very first moment and doesn’t waste much time getting to know characters or even what’s going on sometimes, then this book is for you. There’s lots of jumping through doors to other places, plenty of playing with time and rarely a page when something interesting isn’t either happening or about to.

Personally, that’s not my favourite kind of story. I like to get to know the characters involved so that I can care
Cassiopeia's Moon
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
I got this as an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.

The first thing I want to say, and the one comment I couldn't get out of my head, is that this is put as YA, but it reads like a Middle Grade . From the first page it felt like this, and I even questioned the choice to put it as a YA. However, after finishing it I can see why, there are some things that might not suit a Middle Grade novel.

The story follows Martin, a normal 15 year old, who just have been forced to move with h
Candyd Coleen Sarion
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gotta have this book... seems pretty great!
Kalilah
I... I have failed. I tried so very hard to finish this book, but in the end I just couldn't.

At first it was interesting and I reached around 100 pages fairly quickly. I liked the idea of any door leading through to any other door, and I also enjoyed the humour. But beyond that, particularly when all the action began, I found my interest waning. Ultimately, it came down to the setting. The story is set in a big, old, rambling, crumbling mansion, which in itself has lots of potential, but causes
Michael
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This novel started off a bit like The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe but ended up being a story much more about love, loss, and much more in the tradition of Roald Dahl than C.S. Lewis.

There is beauty in this book, as well as a childlike wonder at the organization of the world. No spoilers, but repeatedly this book holds up loyalty as a standard, loyalty and faith in each other.

This book is a treasure for people of all ages. The story was moving and bounced back and forth between different ti
CMG
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it
(2.5 stars)
The Good: cool concept of Keepers, the time-slip aspect
The Bad: romance felt clichéd and sometimes forced, confusing/slow beginning
The Interrobang: the epilogue

Full review on my blog!
Musyira
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, well, this was a deliciously messed up book!
Simon Lee
Jan 24, 2017
Snake
Feb 11, 2017
Goodreads Reviewe...: Review request for Children's time-slip adventure 1 7 Nov 20, 2016 12:54PM
V S Nelson writes stories for a past version of themselves. Lacking the technical skills to build a time machine and present the stories to their 12 year-old self, V S Nelson has decided to publish these stories in the hope that others may enjoy them.

The first story is called The Keeper of Portals.
"I'm a huge fan of hidden places, secret passageways, tunnels and caves, which is why I wanted to cre
More about V.S. Nelson

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars Part One
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)
    $9.94 $3.99
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Volume 1
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • Life of Pi
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 1 (Smoke and Shadow, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • City
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)