Start by marking “The 48” as Want to Read:
The 48

The 48

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  72 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Henry VIII's Tudor court meets time-traveling teen assassins in a riveting YA novel.

Twins Charlie and Alex Taylor are the newest time travelers recruited to the Forty-Eight, a clandestine military group in charge of manipulating history. The brothers arrive in 1536 feeling confident, but the Tudor court is not all banquets and merriment: it is a deep well of treachery, tor
Published October 2018 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about The 48, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 48

Queen Ria's Reviews
Picked up an arc at ALA the second I saw it. I read Hosie's DEVIL'S INTERN and loved that and wasn't disappointed with this. She just knows how to do time-travel. Told in 3 voices, this book is thrilling from first page to last. Will there be a sequel because I want one.
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 2/5

e-ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

I’m having a hard time figuring out how I feel about this. I was hooked for the first 30% but, towards the middle, I started losing interest. The ending was quite predictable. There wasn’t any suspense or anticipation, which made the reading experience really underwhelming.

Characters
We have the twins, Charlie and Alex, aka the time writers; Alice, a newbie time writer and friend of the twins; Margaret, a girl trying to survi
Kristy
This was SO MUCH FUN.

Time traveling teen assassins go back to Henry the VIII's court in order to prevent him from marrying Jane Seymour and thus continuing the influence and power of Catholicism...

This made me want to go back and finish Wolf Hall and re-watch the Tudors because it really doesn't get any more exciting and fascinating then the Tudor court.
Annette
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've recently been interested in the history of the Tudors and the wives of Henry VIII, so when I saw The 48, I was excited to read more. I was not disappointed.

Time-traveling twins, Charles and Alexander, are sent to England when Henry VIII was married to Anne Boleyn but has designs on Jane Seymour. The twins are part of a secret network, The 48, and have trained for this assignment their entire life. The 48 is run by a group of people who want to change history, in this case, they want to make
USOM
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this free book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

I adored the concept of The 48 from the first page. There's nothing I love more than historical fiction meets science fiction. I mean, can you blame me? Not only that, but the fact that we are reading about this story from alternating perspectives, gives the whole book a well rounded feel. There are layers upon layers of intrigue and mystery. It really never stops. And you get
Teresa in Ohio
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started this book I wasnt aware of the time travel that would come into play, it didnt alter my opinion of the plot. The 48 is a group who trains people to go back in time and rewrite history. Alex and Charles are sent to Englad during Henry the VIII reign to stop his marriage to Jane and rewrite the history of religion.

The details about time travel were quickly woven into the text and the story took on a life of it's own in England during the Tudor era. Alex and Charles are twins
Grace and Ella reviews
Grace's review -- This is an ARC review and I'm erring between 4-5 stars but the cover is sooooo pretty I'm going to be generous. This is a great read for anyone who loves sci-fi meets historical fiction meets I don't know how to describe this genre! Lots of twists and turns and very original.

Ella's review -- Two teenage assassins, who are also twins (YAY!), go back in time to stop Henry VIII getting married. I don't know a huge amount about the Tudors but this book comes across as really well
Teenreadsdotcom
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Is there a better setting for time-traveling assassins than the brutal and tumultuous Tudor court? Absolutely not. Donna Hosie has merged science and historical fiction in her newest novel, THE 48, and the result is one murderously good time.

Charlie and Alex are twin brothers and the newest Assets for The 48. A covert organization that trains “weapons of historical manipulation,” or, Assets. Their first mission takes them to the bloody Tudor court at the end of Henry’s marriage to Anne Boleyn. T
Kirsten Craves
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
description

There HAS to be a sequel because I need to know what happens to Charlie and Alice and ALEX!!!! OMG ALEX is so super adorable and I wanted him to be happy with Marlon.

I really felt like I was actually IN this book -- it's so descriptive. The scenes of torture might be a bit to much for some younger readers tho. It's like Game of Thrones but in England!

Thanks to Jamie for the ARC.
Megs
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars - a thrilling read told from three perspectives that didn't shy away from shocks that were appropriate for the story and the time-travel premise. Looks like it's a one-off which would be a shame because it has real series potential that is different to the usual YA tropes. If you love anything Tudor - you will <3 this book.
April
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Twin teen boys Alex and Charlie are part of The 48, a secretive society of today founded with the intention of using time-travel to unravel various aspects of the past via meddling, murder, and mayhem. The twins have gotten their first assignment: they have 48 days to prevent Henry VIII from marrying the Protestant Jane Seymour; part of an initiative to change and ultimately eliminate religion in the world. But shortly after they arrive in Tudor court time in England; their younger friend Alice ...more
Bookworm Jo
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'll read anything about the Tudors and regard this area of historical fiction as a missed opportunity for young adult writers in particular so I was thrilled to see this early advance copy available.

The 48 is the story of Charlie and Alex who are two young teen assassins on their first time travel assignment to stop the marriage of Henry the Eighth and Jane Seymour. The 48 is told from three perspectives: Charlie, Alex, and Margaret who is a lady in waiting to Anne Boleyn.

It was the females th
Lynn
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done blend of sf and historical fiction with an intriguing plot, strongly written appealing characters and surprising twists and turns. Hosie has done a good job of integrating historical background and provides plenty of rich sensory details. This is a very complicated era and she provides plenty of information to navigate the relationships and motives while never bogging down the story. Nicely done.

I would have liked a bit more explanations of the motivations and mechanics of the villains
Sally Armstrong-Peters
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5 - - review to come
Amy Navarre
First, the cover art for The 48 by Donna Hosie is amazing! I definitely judge a book by its cover - this cover was the reason I picked up this free Advanced Reader’s Copy at the ALA Conference - so in my opinion this cover art is certainly successful marketing for this book! The image clearly depicts a 16th century dress, a knife hidden behind a woman’s back, and what appears to be a tattoo on the wrist of this individual. Just from the cover you can glean intrigue in a historical setting with a ...more
Jena
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
** This review was originally published on www.teenreads.com **

Charlie and Alex are twin brothers and the newest Assets for The 48. A covert organization that trains “weapons of historical manipulation”, or, Assets. Their first mission takes them to the bloo
Susan
The cover is intriguing, showing a woman in historical dress gripping a dagger held behind her back, a modern digital countdown on her other wrist. The tagline is "Two time-traveling teen assassins are about to turn Henry VIII's court upside down." To me, there's a certain irreverence to that line that brings to mind 80s teen comedies. And I did say historical dress rather than Tudor specifically because I don't think it is authentically Tudor.

Alex and Charlie are the two brothers. They ought t
Barbara
The idea of time traveling from the present time to the Tudor period of history is a fascinating one, given the sins and accomplishments of Henry VIII, who lived during that time. Teen brothers Charlie and Alex Taylor, twins, have spent much of their lives preparing for their mission as time travelers. Part of a group called the 48, they are expected to stop at nothing to prevent the king from marrying Jane Seymour after he gets rid of this current queen, Anne Boleyn. The brothers arrive in 1536 ...more
Rachel Chiapparine
I picked up this book in hardcover edition from Barnes and Noble when I went my local store with my dad. My personal review of the book is as follows:

In my personal opinion this story reads as if it was the 3rd book in a series instead of a stand alone/possible start to a series. So much is explained as backstory as happening after the fact while the characters are running around the world that we as readers don't get to see. I wish that mechanics of the world and the backstage in fighting withi
I'll read anything about the Tudors, so I was thrilled to see this YA novel at an ALA conference. While I kept reading to the end, I wasn't as impressed as I wanted to be. I loved the idea--twin brothers travel back to the Tudor court to try to keep Jane Seymour from marrying Henry VII. But things just didn't come together because I had a difficult time telling the two brothers apart. They each narrated parts of the novel, along with a fictional character Lady Margaret who was in Queen Anne's co ...more
Annie Lee
I think this would have been better as just historical fiction since the time travel element added nothing to the story. Really it seems like there should have been another book called The 48 in which we actually learn about the 48 and what they do, and this would be the companion novel that follows the minor characters that you really liked from the first book. Interesting concept, lackluster execution.
Lauren Schuyler James (storied.adventures)
Full review on my blog,

*Received a copy from the publisher and Storygram Tours for an honest review*

This was a weird case of loving the plot but only kind of liking the writing style or characters. I had to re-read some paragraphs to understand what was going on. Charles also bothered me a bit about, "Oh I'm in love with this girl! Just kidding! It's always been the other!" He was way to back and forth. I wish there had been more action.
**WeRateCovers**
5/5 cover swoon

Not quite sure why the Goodreads thumbnail image doesn't match the actual ARC cover which has swirly red font?? Anyways, our version cover does everything it should and clearly shows the mashup between sci-fi and historical. And who doesn't love a gorgeous dress on a cover? Can't wait to read.
Mariana D
Erin Arkin
Review to come
Meredith Hanns
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the three person perspective about teens who time travel back to the Tudor court to stop the marriage of Henry and Jane. The clandestine '48' deserve a book about itself as an organisation.
« previous 1 3 next »
Donna Hosie's critically-acclaimed THE DEVIL'S series has been awarded multiple starred reviews, as well as a Kirkus Teen Book of the Year Award, YALSA's Best Fiction for Young Adults Award, and a Westchester Fiction Gold Seal Award.

Donna is also the author of THE RETURN TO CAMELOT trilogy, and THE CHILDREN OF CAMELOT series.

Instagram: https://instagram.com/donnahosie/