Start by marking “Sharp Ends (First Law World, #7)” as Want to Read:
Sharp Ends (First Law World, #7)

Sharp Ends

(First Law World #7)

From New York Times bestselling author, Joe Abercrombie, comes a collection of award-winning short fiction set in the world of the First Law.

A Beautiful Bastard: The Union army may be full of bastards, but there’s only one big enough to think he can save the day single-handed when the Gurkish come calling: the incomparable Colonel Sand dan Glokta.

Made a Monster: After
Published February 9th 2017 by Gollancz (first published April 26th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Sharp Ends, please sign up.
Milda Page Runner Yes and no. Most stories you can read and enjoy but you won't get the full scope.
There are few stories though like A Beautiful Bastard and Wrong…more
There are few stories though like A Beautiful Bastard and Wrong Place, Wrong Time that won't make much sense if you haven't read First Law trilogy and Best Served Cold first.
So whilst you can read it before reading First Law - I would not recommend simply because if you do like it - there would be spoilers for the series.
If you want to check out Abercrombie's writing before committing to full book few of these stories are available and free online:
Two’s Company: http://www.tor.com/2016/01/12/twos-co...
Some Desperado: http://www.tor.com/2013/11/04/some-de...
I hope that helps :)(less)
ColinJ If there is he's been quiet about it. I'm sure he's optioned his works but unless something is actually shooting then nothing is certain.

Start your review of Sharp Ends (First Law World, #7)
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
This was a great collection of twisted short stories. It’s Abercrombie at his best. I’ve reviewed each one individually:

A Beautiful Bastard- 5/5- I feel like I’ve been waiting for this story for a long time. If you’ve read The First Law Trilogy then you’ll know what an ugly bastard Glockta is. He was captured by the enemy and tortured to the point of ruination. As a result, he reaps vengeance on the world, but still serves his country. This story is a glimpse of the Glockta we often hear
Petrik
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Grimdark & The First Law fans
Buddy read with the lovely one, Sarah

3.5/5 Stars

Sharp Ends, the ultimate collection of Tales from the World of First Law by Abercrombie’s, is a great dessert to provide insights and more info for most of the previously established characters.

Picture: My complete collection of Joe Abercrombie’s ‘The First Law’ series

There’s no way I’m missing any stories in the First Law world, it’s one of my favorite series of all time, especially the First Law trilogy.

Unlike most anthologies, there is a sense
Lady Luna. ✨
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grimdark, great-books
4/5

Buddy read with my lovely friend; Petrik

So my phone kinda deleted all the notes I had written down to write this review. Clearly the world hates me right now.

Also I see a lot of people starting their First Law journey with this Anthology or one of the standalones.. Why do they do this? Please read the series in order so you actually know what's going on.

I'm going to do my review a little differently then I was going to: All novellas in this book apart from Made a Monster, gets a solid rating
Conor
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading one of my friends' reviews for a short story collection where they updated the review as they read each story. Seems like a cool format and I good way to keep track of each story, so here we are.

A Beautiful Bastard: 5 Stars.

Really strong short story. The malicious "practice sessions" led by Glokta and cheered on by his sycophants while a military campaign was conducted (poorly) in the background created a real sense of unease and tension. The characters really stole the show
Jokoloyo
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jokoloyo by: Bee
This is a book about Shev and Javre, plus nostalgic episodes from other stories in First Law Universe.
Shev&Javre

I think this book is mainly for telling the hilarious stories of Shev and Javre, but because the length is not long enough for novel length book, then book added some chapters of previous First Law stories. The additions have various quality but mainly are for comic relief or showing some characterization of a few characters. My personal favorites of course the appearance of Corporal Tunny.

Maybe
Jody
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grim-dark
It sure was refreshing to be back in the World of the First Law. While I didn't give all of these stories a high star rating, I have missed Abercrombie's writing style. His stories are always filled with dark humor, bloody scenes, and great characterization. I laughed out loud or cringed countless times reading this. There are a wide variety of characters. The new characters added a fresh view into this unforgiving world and the old characters made me reminisce of the books already read. I have ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/04/25/...

The full title of this anthology is actually Sharp Ends: Stories from the World of the First Law, so fans of Joe Abercrombie’s novels set in this universe should be in for a treat. All thirteen tales in here are set in the Circle of the World, spanning a period that starts about a decade before the beginning of The Blade Itself and ends a few years after Red Country, and some feature locations and characters that have
José
(Actualización: la colección ya está disponible en español y se titula Filos mortales).
Reseña de todas las historias y de la colección en general en mi blog: Click aquí.

One of my most anticipated reads of 2016 and it didn't disappoint! Joe Abercrombie returns to his dark, brutal and gritty world with thirteen stories that revisit some key moments narrated in his different books, providing detailed background for our old favourites characters: Logen Ninefingers, Glokta, Temple, Shy South,
Terence
Sharp Ends revisits stories from the world of the First Law series. It's packed with a variety of tales from ones that have only been mentioned to some that no one knew happened. A slew of characters from The First Law series appear such as Sand dan Glokta, Curnden Craw, Whirrun of Bligh, Temple, Shy, Bremer dan Gorst, Nicomo Cosca, and many others. The book also includes varying stories about new characters Shevedieh the best thief in Styria and Javre the Lioness of Hoskopp.

The stories vary for
Phrynne
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hardly ever read short stories, preferring my books to be long and full. However I was willing to make an exception for this author especially when I saw that one of his stories was about Glokta! As it turned out it was worth buying the whole book just for that one short story but then there was so much more.
Writing really strong characters is one of Abercrombie's greatest strong points and his tales of Shy, Glokta and Nine Fingers were brilliant back stories. Then he introduced some new (to
Lee
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-fantasy
Well I am going to keep this review short. Just like the stories in the book.

Overall, pretty average I have to say. It was nice being back in that world, but the stories were pretty bland. There are a couple of stories that follow on from each other, which made the book tolerable. But it certainly showed me that I am not a fan of very short stories. There was really nothing to get your teeth into and felt more like adding some scenes to sell another book.

This is NOT a book to buy to give you an
Tracey the Lizard Queen
Full review at: http://thequeenofblades.blogspot.co.uk/

This book contains everything I love about Abercrombie and more. Gritty realism, vulgar language, dark humour, blood, guts, desperation. What more could you ask for? This has had the desired effect and now I feel like I need to go read everything by this author! This is a big problem for me because I've already got books waiting and books I've paused to read other books and now I can't keep up anymore! Dammit.

*I received a copy from
Twerking To Beethoven
Joe Abercrombie is back into amazing shape with an astonishing, superb, brilliant and uncanny set of short stories. There's not a single one I didn't lurve (well, ok... to be perfectly candid, maybe "Freedom" isn't on the same level as the others, I said "maybe").

Also, the four stories featuring Shev and Javre are sort of a short novel of their own, and they somewhat remind me of Lansdale's Hap and Leonard (and that's a good thing, in case you're wondering).

What I loved the most about "Sharp
Scott  Hitchcock
I wonder after reading the four singles if I would have liked the trilogy as much. I tend to think I wouldn't. JA's writing style was fresh for me then. It's quirky and interesting but not smooth by any means. I've bored over time of his story telling. It can be good in parts but then boring as hell in others.

This 7th book reflected all of that. Some of the shorts I really enjoyed. Others I hated. Some like Glotka's story I wanted to see beyond where it ended. I found Shev and Javre's stories
Sam
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016, fantasy
I'm having trouble rating/reviewing this book. On the one hand, yay! More Joe Abercrombie. On the other hand, I think I'm just not as satisfied by his short stories as I am his books. I totally think this is a personal issue rather than any fault of the anthology itself. I enjoyed the Shev/Javre stories the most and I think this is because they were the characters who reappeared the most throughout. The other stories felt more toss-a-way. Maybe if I had just come off reading the books, they ...more
Milda Page Runner
Loved it. As expected with short story collection it is a bit of a mixed bag: most stories are good and some are awesome but inevitably there are a few that I didn’t care for. Hence the 4*.

Highly recommend to Abercrombie fans and readers familiar with the First Law world. I wouldn’t recommend for the new readers – whilst some stories would work, majority would lose too much without the context.

Here are few sentences about each story as I’ve read them:

Beautiful Bastard - 3* Nice insight to how
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Personal rating: 3.5

I think this is a good addition to the First Law universe. We get to see different perspectives of major events that happened in the main series and some new stuff to. Some stories I LOVED and some I found myself bored so all in all a solid short story collection.
Steve
I’m a huge fan of Joe Abercrombie, especially of his “First Law” series. This anthology is set in this grimdark world of violence and treachery, and fleshes out many of the much-loved/much-hated characters from the original trilogy and the three stand-alone novels.

My favorites out of the thirteen short stories were:

“A Beautiful Bastard”, the story of Colonel Sand dan Glokta immediately before his was taken captive and tortured by the Gurkish army. My biggest complaint comes with this story, as
Manuel Antão
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Flat, Flat, Flat: "Sharp Ends" by Joe Abercrombie

“There’s men chasing me! Gulping breath in the doorway and doing her best to look beyond desperate—no mighty effort of acting at that moment, or any occupying the last twelve months, indeed.”

One of the things that makes Abercrombie outstanding is his ability to write stuff in different styles. “The First Law Trilogy” reads like epic fantasy, “Best Served Cold” is all about revenge, “The Heroes” is bent on being a war novel, and “Red Country”
Michelle {Book Hangovers}
I have to have this....now!!!!!! I'm obsessed with the First Law series and the bloody nine! Oh yes, oh yes ohhhhhh yes!!!!!
Andreas
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love this world and can't wait for A Little Hatred.
Nils | nilsreviewsit
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘Bethod stepped towards him. The dead knew he did not want to. The dead knew his heart was pounding. But he stepped towards him anyway, and fixed him with his eye, and said, “You can’t kill the whole world, Logen.”’

Sharp Ends by Joe Abercrombie is a collection of short stories all set in The First Law world. By the dead did it feel good to be back in this world, to be amongst the shadiest of characters once again, and to just enjoy some more stabby stabbyness!

I’ll admit I’m not a huge fan of
Joel
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FULL REVIEW ON MY BLOG, TOTAL INABILITY TO CONNECT

There are few things I love more than Joe Abercrombie's writing, specifically his First Law works. I was excited, after getting a short-story collection from Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire series last fall, to get back into Fitch's series as well.

Anyone who's read my reviews and blog knows that I'm a big, BIG fan of novellas and shorts. Love them. A collection of shorts is a great thing as well, especially a novel containing something like 12 new
Emily
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
So, take this review with this caveat - I am not really a fan of short stories and this is a book of short stories...

I loved the glimpse into the life of a pre-tortured Glokta. I liked the stories with Shev and Javre all of those were good except the last one which I didn't care for (the one where the stolen package changes hands about 10 times). I also didn't like the story with Costa in it. The rest of the stories were just OK.

I have a hard time getting into short stories and I didn't remember
Margret
In Wheel of Time units, this book is "Traveling Circus" level pointless.
Ashley
This is a solid 3.5 star anthology collection. Most of the stories were good, not great, and a few were wonderful. I'm thinking particularly of "The Beautiful Bastard," which shows us a pre-Gurkish torture ruination Glokta, and the very entertaining "Two's Company," which takes two characters that form the backbone of this collection, and pairs them with my personal favorite Abercrombie character, Whirrun of Bligh, aka Cracknut ('cause his nut is cracked).

Even though all of these stories could
Melissa
Once I got over Glokta being in this book for only about fifteen pages, I . . . well, actually I'm not over that at all. Having somehow ignored the numerous places where the contents of this book are referred to as "short fiction," including the inside cover, I understand that I have only myself to blame for thinking I was going to get some sort of pre-First Law-era novel, but dammit if I don't need more Glokta in my life than what's here. The teasing taste of what a miserable, talented bastard ...more
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
This review can also be found on my blog:

I received a free copy of this book courtesy of the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Joe Abercrombie is one of my favourite authors, I absolutely loved The First Law trilogy and the three individual books set in the same world after but I've never read his The Shattered Sea trilogy as the YA tag put me off as the things I really like about his books aren't YA, the dry wit, the dark flawed characters,
Paul E. Morph
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. 'A Beautiful Bastard' - 5/5

A great little prequel to the First Law series, featuring a pre-crippling Goska in his glory days...

2. 'Small Kindnesses' - 5/5

Abercrombie introduces two new characters in this short story and I already want to read a whole series of novels about them...

3. 'The Fool Jobs' - 4/5

On a raid with some of our favourite Northmen (and women)...

4. 'Skipping Town' - 5/5

Ah, I see! We have a framing sequence. Excellent!

5. 'Hell' - 3/5

That one was a bit 'meh'. Perhaps because I
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Sharp Ends [Sep 5, 2017] 34 43 Oct 11, 2017 02:28PM

• A Year and a Day in Old Theradane (Rogues, #8)
  • The Wheel of Osheim (The Red Queen's War, #3)
  • Emperor of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #3)
  • Roaring Twenties, (Rogues, #7)
  • Kings of the Wyld (The Band, #1)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • King of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #2)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
  • Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1)
  • The Liar's Key (The Red Queen's War, #2)
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
  • Bloody Rose (The Band, #2)
  • Prince of Fools (The Red Queen's War, #1)
  • Promise of Blood (Powder Mage, #1)
Joe Abercrombie was educated at Lancaster Royal Grammar School and Manchester University, where he studied psychology. He moved into television production before taking up a career as a freelance film editor. During a break between jobs he began writing The Blade Itself in 2002, completing it in 2004. It was published by Gollancz in 2006 and was followed by two other books in The First Law trilogy ...more

First Law World (10 books)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • Best Served Cold
  • The Heroes (First Law World, #5)
  • Red Country (First Law World, #6)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • The Beautiful Machine (The Age of Madness, #3)
“Welcome to my life of constant doubt, anxiety and occasional sudden and unpredictable horror, Javre. I hope you enjoy your fucking visit.” 10 likes
“But it is easy to speak of the past, impossible to go there. I am powerful in ways you can only dream, yet I am still a prisoner of what I have done. I can never escape the cell I have made for myself. Things are what they are.” 6 likes