Start by marking “Fate's Fables (Fate's Journey #1)” as Want to Read:
Fate's Fables (Fate's Journey #1)

Fate's Fables

(Fate's Journey #1)

This beautifully intricate fantasy, with its feisty heroine, breath-taking action and heart-wrenching romance, will delight fans of The Lunar Chronicles and A Court of Thorns and Roses.

Reality sucks. Make-believe rocks. That's been Fate Floyd's motto for as long as she's been a fantasy geek. But now she can hardly tell what's real and what's not. She's been spe
Kindle Edition, Special Edition
Published August 25th 2016 by Original Mix Media Inc (first published January 25th 2013)

Fantasy of Frost by Kelly St. ClareA Messy, Beautiful Life by Sara Jade AlanFamous by Default by M.K. HarkinsFire in the Woods by Jennifer M. EatonEerie by C.M. McCoy
Fall YASH 2017
143 books — 105 voters
The Thing with Feathers by McCall HoyleBirthright by Jessica RuddickStarr Gone by Kim BriggsStar-Crossed by Pintip DunnBlack Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel
YASH Spring 2018
122 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Fate's Fables (Fate's Journey #1)
Dash fan
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
4☆ Enchanting Read.... Can the past really be re- written!

Fate is the main character and when she gets taken in by a magic book containing 8 Fables, she embarks on a journey to try and change the outcome of the stories, in order to make it back home.

By entering the Magic Book, things are about to change.
Can Fate really change the path of the Fables or is she doomed to stay within the book forever.

It's not going to be easy so when she meets  the mysterious Finn he s
Lia
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magical, fantasy
Action-packed, fairy tales and a bad-ass redhead. Sounds like a great book to read, right?
Well… I didn't really enjoy it. Maybe it had something to do with my mindset but I just couldn't enjoy it. (I only just noticed that the blurb says it's for the fans of A Court of Thorns and Roses, and I didn't really enjoy that book so maybe that's the problem?)

But let's first start at the beginning.

The premise is great, a girl stuck in a book filled with fables, making her wa
Marta Cox
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, my-reviews
Fate ( yes that really is her name) has somehow managed to capture the imagination of fantasy readers and her book is a success. You would expect her to be riding high with adrenalin and happiness and yet there's just something missing. Well she ends up being tricked into entering a magical book that contains eight fables that don't necessarily have the happiest of endings. Fate's task is to somehow change each ending to bring about a happy one but she's not alone. No she is accompanied by the m ...more
Diana
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat between 2-3, depending on the moment.

Fate is a young woman who is signing copies of her last book, and when the signing ends, her steps take her to her grandma's store, where she spent lots of time surrounded by books. There, she meets a sexy naked man (WTF?) and end up embarking on a crazy adventure: traveling through fairy tales to "fix" their outcome.
The characters are well fleshed out, and we have weird moments, like when she discovers he is one of her creations (W
Brittany
This book was everything I have been missing in the YA scene. It has the imagery and the story line of a great fantasy novel. I have not read anything this imaginative since Lord of the Rings or even Harry Potter. Yes, you know how much I love Harry Potter. The book is so beautifully and creatively written that I was lost in the story the minute I started. The paperback is 478 pages so it's long but it is well worth the time.

Here are my quick words of wisdom about the story: The first two chapt
Tia
"I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review."

"Fate's Fables" by T. Rae Mitchell is a fabulous combination of fantasy, fables,and a young adult romance. I really enjoyed the concept of a young author being sucked into a fable book that she has to correct the stories of before she can return home. It's a great adventure with danger and twists and turns a long the way. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

This does end with a
Dana
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Steph And Dani {A Walk on Words}
Rating: 5 stars

There also happens to be a book trailer for Fate's Fables! :)

Read my full review here! http://awalkonwords.blogspot.com/2013...

Dani’s Review:
Fate’s Fables is unlike any other fantasy novel I have read. Ms. Mitchell has a unique writing style with a quality almost like great fantasy novels of the past such as Lord of the Rings. She uses so much description and imagery, a trait in books that is sometimes dismissed as being “boring” in the 21st century. This is not one of those paranormal fanta
Donna Barker
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a well-told story
Shelves: canadian, favorites
I loved this book. It's outside of my normal reading genre but I was so intrigued by the back cover blurb and the book trailer (you MUST watch it. It's here: http://traemitchell.com/view-trailer/) that I decided to give the book my attention and some Kindle cash.

For a non-fantasy reader like myself, I admit I was worried reading the first few pages since I thought I'd never figure out where I was in Fate's worlds. I was wrong and am glad the characters kept me turning pages. The worlds were both intriguing and entirely i
BookCupid
Mar 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Imagine getting thrown into another world where your only means of survival is using your creativity. Both challenging and fun, T. Rae Mitchell created a wonderland that will delight many.

The opening of the book was slightly confusing. In fact, it felt more like a prologue since we are introduced to someone other than the main character in a complete different setting. But the story quickly picked up when Fate took over. She is very direct and humorous, rewriting unexpected endings to the fable
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Sara
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I couldn’t even finish this. I very rarely DNF but I just couldn’t continue on it. I couldn’t get behind Fate and the story was just silly, with the overuse of the notebook and the repeating storyline. I think this may skew to a younger audience.
Lynn Poppe
I gave up on this one. Just did not care for any of it. Maybe I'll try again at a later date.
Cathy Cole
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, kindle, book-club
I struggled to finish this book...had I not been reading it for book club I absolutely would have stopped around the 25% mark. Fate is whiny and her relationship with Finn is totally ridiculous. At some point early on Fate commented how she wished there were only four fables and not eight, I TOTALLY AGREE! It was a 500 page book that really needed to be 300 max.
Reviewers have commented it is similar to a Court of Thorn and Roses...don't be fooled like I was, they are not similar.
Brandy Hicks
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really intersting and unique book

Think the Pagemaster meets unique stories plus magic. Really good book, and I'm on to the second installment. There better be some happy endings!
Simona
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Rating: 5+/5
Rating: 5+/5

"Fate's Fables" is the first book in the series "Fate's Journey". The beginning of the book made me think of a Doctor Who scene(i really do not know why) and I found it a little hard to stick with me but after a few pages it all started to flow at a normal pace(this happens in almost every book, right?).

After we are introduced to the story behind everything that is going to happen, we meet the lovely main character, Fate. Fate is an author and she has quite a normal life, different from everything that happens in her book Magick Brew.

At an impulse, Fate goes to her grandmothers bookstore where everything seems really quiet until she stumbles upon a man named Finn. Fate is really surprised about someone's presence in that place but, with a strange turn of events, Fate and Finn find a book of fables that starts of a great adventure.

Transported to the world of fables, the two of them need to turn eight fables' endings into happy ones by reversing everything bad that had happened. Their adventure is a dangerous one, making them go through a series of hardships.

I really loved Ms. Mitchell's book! I found it a really amazing read and I really appreciated her creativity and lovely writing style. The richness that every fable had and the different elements that each of them brought into light made me sink deeper and deeper into the magical places that the author created.

One of the facts for which I enjoyed reading the book was the way that the characters were created. I loved Fate's evolution. Given the fact that she had a quiet life before entering the world of fables, Fate gets to experience so many things that she would not have gotten to in her normal life. Changing events by simply writing them, getting to fly and having a snake as a companion are just some of the things that turn around Fate's life . But none of these compare to the truth behind Finn's life, a truth that changes everything.

I loved that the author managed to combine in a successful way some really funny dialogues with the descriptive fragments.

My favourite character, besides Fate, was Sithias :D! I really loved the snake and all of his funny come-backs! He was a really lovely addition to the story.

About the Fate-Finn couple: I can say that it is one of my favourites! They have to put up with so many things and the challanges they face come in a big number and vary from one another. Their dialogues and come-backs are sometimes funny but harsh in some moments. What's destined for them you can find out only by reading Mitchell's book(s) :]!

I recommend this book to every fantasy lover and to those who love fables of course! :D You will have the chance to meet some really amazing characters, some funny and some not, read about different romances and most important of all enjoy a thrilling combination between the real world and the fantastic world of fables. The adventure will be three books long which makes me really curious about what is going to happen next :D!

I would really love to see this series turned into a movie or a game or or... both! I think that it is really catchy.
Chyna
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My thoughts...

I believe that Terry's writing style was very descriptive and it has a lot of imagery. The beginning might have been very slow at the time and there were several holes in the beginning, but that was to be expected. I want to thank Terry Mitchell for giving me a review copy, I don't think I would have read this story if she hadn't emailed me. I don't regret reading Fate's Fables since I rarely enjoy fantasy. It might be boring and dull to the youth since there taste is r
Myra (Pieces of Whimsy)
Review first published on my blog, Pieces of Whimsy

The start of this book was a little confusing. I could follow the story to a certain point but then I found myself a little lost to what was going on. It wasn't until Fate entered the first fable that I began to understand what was going on and get a taste of the ride this book was going to take me on!

The story follows Fate, a 17 year old author with a vivid imagination for creating fantastical stories. She is suddenly uprooted fr
Judith
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to be allowed to read this by the publisher and netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review.
I have to admit that the premise of the book being a fantasy involving a young author who is magically transported into a book of fables which she must transform to happy endings to be allowed home had me intrigued. Add a romantic hero into the mix and creatures of myth and legend and I thought I was going to love it without a doubt. However I found it less than compelling at t
Maggie Devine
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I write romance but I must confess, I do love a good YA novel every now and then, especially when there is a handsome young man involved - and when the story jumps into another plane of existence that leaves your imagination wanting more.

I loved this book, I could not put it down. I literally read into the early morning hours I got so absorbed. T. Rae Mitchell weaves a story with such old fashion creativity that it carries you into another world far away - Fate and Finn's world. Thes
Gayle Pace
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

REVIEW:
What a page turner! Once you start you can't put this book down. If you love faeries, trolls and such you will want this novel in your library collection. It is the first volume in the Fate's Journey series. The author, Ms. Mitchell writes in a way that you can visualize each and every thing. She tells the story with an imagination that is almost unreal. This is another world and suddenly you are part of it. You must use your wit to survive. The author has created another world that
Jantine
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received a free copy through Netgalley, in return for an honest review.

At the start, I had somewhat of a hard time getting into the story. I was not sure if I'd like Fate. That had something to do with the awkwardness of the shortness of her skirt (my head immediately started to fill in: skimpy skirt, she might be too busy with clothes to be a great main character) and the slight awkwardness of her being in the middle of attention, and unsureness how the story would develop from th
Linda Walters
This was really quite the story; I thought the origional fairytales I remember as a child had some dark parts to them. In the description of this book its called a dark fantasy, yes, that is the truth for sure. It opens with action right out of the gate, with wild characters, wild creatures and wild atmospheres. Fate, and Finn were people easy to begin to care for. I also liked the people who ended up being friends as they went along their adventure. Especially interesting friends are, Sithias a ...more
Pamela Monroe
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. T. Rae Mitchell has taken our love for fairy tales and put a spin on the idea by intertwining her main characters into the fate of each fable. As a lover of fairy tales, I was intrigued throughout the whole book. Not your typical YA novel, Fate’s Fables covers everything from wicked old hags, to dashing young men and of course, a troll. With eight different stories for Fate to make into happy endings, the reader will never get bored. The story is not just about the fables though, Fate ...more
Thora Gislason
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trolls, faeries, poisoned oaks, druids ... fantasy buffs will be in heaven in this inventive time-travel story of a young girl trapped in an ancient world that she enters through a book of fables. Seventeen year-old Fate must reverse the endings of eight colourful but terrifying fables in order to return to her regular life. She is accompanied for part of her journey by characters from two of the fables: Sithias, the chameleon-like servant to the sorceress Elsina, and Gerdie, a wise old woman fr ...more
Michele
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fate is a young author of fantasy with a quirky, yet enthusiastic fan base. Although she enjoys her subject, Fate never really wanted to live it. One evening after a book signing, she feels compelled to visit an old book store that her grandmother used to run. When she arrives, Fate confronts Finn, a handsome (and strangely familiar) intruder who seems equally confused about the situation.

It goes without saying that Fate and Finn are destined to embark on some paranormal high jinks. With only t
Brianna
Overall:
Fate’s Fables is a fantastical page turner, I seriously couldn’t put it down. Poisoned oaks, druids, faeries, and trolls….. Fantasy buffs will be all over this first novel in the Fate’s Journey series. T. Rae’s knowledge of the fables in this book are extremely vivid. The writing is an old style which I believe is really hard to duplicate within this day and age, but with T. Rae’s ingenious imagination and enchanting storytelling it all comes together brilliantly.

abookanda
Leila
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
description
There was a book of fables. Fairy tales, if you will. But these fables didn't have the happy endings everyone always craves. Oh, no. They were sad, dark, and evil. Good lost in those stories. Love was found, but then promptly lost in tragedy.

This is the story of how Fate Floyd was sucked into a giant book of fairy tales with a boy who seems so familiar, but she just can't place. The only way out of it is to change the sad endings to happy endings of all 8 tales. How hard could it be, right??

For Narnia!!!

Fate Floyd is a teenager. I'm guessing she's around 16 or 17, since I don't recall the book actually saying how old she is, but we do know she hasn't graduated from high school. She has such a good imagination, and loves to read so much, that she writes stories of her own. And she's been doing it for so long, that her motto is that "Reality sucks. Make-believe rocks." In fact, she's such a good writer, that she's been successfully published before even graduating from high school! Her book has such a following, that fans having been showing up in cosplay during her book tour!

However, during the book signing in her hometown of Seattle, she all of sudden gets a pull to go north, towards Canada. She's not 100% sure to where, she just knows she needs to go now. Lucky for her, her book signing had gone a half hour past schedule, and some trolls and a wizard(?) get into a brawl right in front of her, so she's able to slip away.

As she makes her way north, she realizes that she's headed to the old family bookstore. Fate became the new owner of the bookstore upon her grandmother's death, but it held too many fond memories that it was too painful to try and keep it open after her death.

She's forced inside when a sudden rainstorm appears, discovering Finn, who doesn't know how he got there. He seems familiar to her somehow. Not to mention he's from Scotland, has an amazing Scottish brogue, and is quite the looker.
catch me I'm swooning photo tumblr_lzoibsNd6J1r1r1n0.png
They have little time to figure things out, as they're caught in a spell that sends them into what used to be the book shaped sign of the bookstore. Turns out it was a real book.
description

Fate received some instructions, among which were to retrieve a certain object from a certain person at all costs. But that promptly fades away, to later reappear at the right moment. What she can vaguely remember is that she needed to read some instructions at the beginning of the book. Where she realized that their only way out is to change the endings of each story. And boy do they have a doozy of a start. Figuring out what the Words of Making are and how she's supposed to get them to work take a bit of figuring out. Calming down enough to try and figure out where and when they were took another bit. One that she doesn't quite get the hang of until about halfway through the second story.

In fact, it's her total lack of control and only responding to things in a reactionary manner that start to get me annoyed with Fate. She has quite the loathing for her name, as she feels that she doesn't really have much control over her life. And any good luck that comes her way is always tainted, somehow. Pessimistic, much? But, that's cool, I get it, not everyone has to think that the glass is half-full or whatever. But chica can't just sit there low-level freaking out for days and not trying to figure out an effective solution. And, again, I get it, not everyone can get themselves under control at a decent pace to become sensible again. But this girl is a fantasy writer, who's a major geek and literary nerd. She knows how to problem solve and research (she admitted to doing quite a bit of research on Scotland and it's history, even into druids and the Ogham language). She has the tools. But she continuously plays the "poor me" and "I HAVE NO IDEA!" cards. She REacts, but doesn't try to actually act sensibly, until almost the end. And that really grates on me. I'm so over the constant damsel-in-distress, the needs-a-guy-to-figure-stuff-out-for-her, I'm-smart-but-now-that-there's-a-hot-guy-around-I'm-not tropes.

The sad part is that there is very little character development for Fate as the story goes on. Finn,
(view spoiler) has more character development than she does, (view spoiler)!! That's seriously upsetting. (view spoiler) I mean, you get a bit of hope when Fate becomes a hella badass shieldmaiden as a warrior in a war goddesses army, but when it all goes to pot again at the end, (view spoiler) we're back to square one: Fate can't deal with it and does nothing. SERIOUSLY!!?!?!?
description

Fate, as a character, is carried by the other, better written characters. That's quite the flaw for a main character. The cast, aside from Fate, were entertaining, interesting, and nicely rounded out. The story itself was quite interesting. I liked that the fairy tales in the book were created for this, which makes their adventures all the more interesting. Also, the villains were pretty good. The twist at the end, while a titch predictable, was still surprising enough to go, "ooooohhhh."

I give this 4 of 5 stars. Fate's Fables just barely squeaks by at a 4. Despite the many flaws, the story was strong enough to keep the adventure interesting and engaging. I will likely read the next book.

My rating system is as follows:
1 star - Horrible
2 stars - Bad
3 stars - Decent
4 stars - Good
5 stars - Amazeballs!!!

Disclosure: I received a copy of the book from the publisher/author through Netgalley for an unbiased review. Just like you, I rely on reviews from readers when trying to choose my next read. I won't bump ratings or falsely recommend a book.
Nora Snowdon
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!
T. Rae Mitchell’s debut novel, Fate’s Fables, takes her feisty heroine, Fate, on a highly imaginative journey through eight gruesome fables where she battles ferocious and magical creatures in her attempt to change the dire endings. Along the way she joins forces with the mysterious Finn and several other equally endearing sidekicks.
This is a fabulous book aimed at the young adult market but fun for adult readers as well. The layout and graphic styling in this book is
Connie Fogg-Bouchard
playing with fairy tales can get you hurt!

Fate writes fairy tales so one would think she'd be prepared for the weird things that happen in them. when she is spelled into a book whose tales she must make right, Fate finds it is easier to read the story than be the story. collecting friends and love along the way must be able to deal with the consequences of her choices.

I found this to be a charming collection. the age range flexed between young and older teen due not so much as to
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Dragon Songs Saga: The Complete Quartet: Songs of Insurrection, Orchestra of Treacheries, Dances of Deception, and Symphony of Fates
  • The Trials of Blackbriar Academy
  • Half-Blood (Darkblood Academy, #1)
  • Golden Chains (Fantasy and Fairytales, #2)
  • Once Upon a Happy Ending: An Anthology of Reimagined Fairy Tales
  • The Princess Pact: A Twist on Rumpelstiltskin (The Four Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Defiant Magician (Unstoppable Liv Beaufont, #3)
  • The Triumphant Daughter (Unstoppable Liv Beaufont Book 4)
  • Vile Sorcery (Royals of Villain Academy, #2)
  • A Dance of Silver and Shadow (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • The Uncooperative Warrior (Unstoppable Liv Beaufont, #2)
  • The Zephyr (Oberon Academy #2)
  • The Rebellious Sister (Unstoppable Liv Beaufont, #1)
  • Pathways (Kingdom Chronicles, #1)
  • The Forsaken Saga Complete Box Set (Books 1-4)
  • Dorothy in the Land of Monsters (Oz ReVamped, #1)
  • The Princess Game: A Reimagining of Sleeping Beauty (The Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • Dragons vs. Drones
T. Rae Mitchell is an incurable fantasy junkie who spent much of her youth dreaming up worlds and bringing characters to life. While most kids grow out of such things, T. Rae didn’t and she sometimes took playing make-believe a bit far. Like the time a wizard hid a bottle of dragon beans in the back yard and left her son convinced he could grow his own dragons. Needless to say, the beans failed to ...more

Fate's Journey (3 books)
  • Fate's Keep (Fate's Journey #2)
  • Fate's War: One Girl's Journey Through A Series Of Unfortunate Battles (Fate's Journey Book 3)
“Who wasn’t either bored or troubled with their own story and only too happy to leap into someone else’s? It further confirmed her motto: Reality sucks. Make-believe rocks.” 2 likes