Start by marking “Leonardo da Vinci: A Life From Beginning to End” as Want to Read:
Leonardo da Vinci: A Life From Beginning to End

Leonardo da Vinci: A Life From Beginning to End

Leonardo da Vinci
Creativity is in our bones. It is found in our very DNA, something not known to Leonardo da Vinci or anyone else who lived in his day and time. All he did was to uncover the hidden genius which lay within himself, and he used that inner genius to the very best of his abilities.
Leonardo da Vinci is best known for some of the world's most masterful paint
Published November 13th 2016 by Hourly History

To ask other readers questions about Leonardo da Vinci, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leonardo da Vinci

Start your review of Leonardo da Vinci: A Life From Beginning to End
Dee Arr
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Having read many Hourly History books, I had an idea what to expect. However, this book on da Vinci differs from the rest.

Judging from the writing style, “Leonardo da Vinci, A Life From Beginning to End” appears to have been written for a younger audience, perhaps junior high age. As such, it is a good introduction to da Vinci for young readers who don’t know many of Leonardo’s accomplishments past the Mona Lisa. Other readers who are somewhat familiar with da Vinci may find this book lacking.

In
Apollo Hesiod
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very insightful about this Genius...he was so ahead of his time.
Arush Ul islam
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent informative book about a great painter, idealist, inventor and after all a great mentor.

This book has aroused my interest in the study of life of our beloved Da Vinci, painter of great Mona Lisa and the last supper fresco. The poly maths like him, haven’t born in large number in this world. Our society is very thankful to such people.

He has contributed significantly in the fields of aeronautics and other sciences.

There a hundreds and thousands of such plans which haven’t been put to wo
Thom Swennes
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-e-book
Everyone knows Leonardo da Vinci as the painter of The Last Supper and that placid woman with the mystical half smile. The Mona Lisa. Few, however, know about the man. Born on April 15, 1452, as the bastard son of Piero Fruosino di Antonio da Vinci, a wealthy local patron, Leonardo di ser Piero could, fortunately, profit from his paternal heritage. Although his formal education was sparse, he had a natural curiosity grew continually throughout his life. Being left-handed, he wrote almost everyth ...more
Ashish Iyer
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A concise and an brief account of Leonardo da Vinci. It can be read in one sitting.
Anil Swarup
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Story of a multi-faceted personality like Leonardo Da Vinci cannot possibly be described in as few pages as has been done by Hourly History. Yet again, the author brings forth all the dimensions of this icon of the Renaissance in all its glory.
Surender Negi
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Nice short book abaout the men whom i admire most.
Aniket
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
This is a very short book maybe 3 hours max. It's small brief about each part of his life and how his environment molds him to be a Genius that he was. Most people know him for his paintings like Mona Lisa and The Last Supper but a little-known fact is that he had masterful knowledge in the fields of optics, physics, hydrodynamics, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, chemistry, zoology and etc. There's even a bridge made based on architecture designed by Leonardo.
Well, my interest arose
Stephanie (Bookfever)
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Leonardo da Vinci is one of the most intriguing people in history. I've always been fascinated with his life. So it's no surprise that I ended up really enjoying this short book. I even learned a few more things about him that I didn't know. I loved that.

My favorite chapters were 'Early Beginnings and the Italian Renaissance' and 'Facts about Leonardo da Vinci.' I've been very much intrigued about his early life so I thought that first chapter was great to start with. The facts about him were al
Harsh Parashar
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
A very short work to capture all there could be to know about Maestro, but enlightening nonetheless. Maybe it's due to the lack of knowledge about the man, except for writings from Vassari and his own sketchbooks.

The most wonderful part of da Vinci's personality is his inability to see art and science differently. Being good at science, especially human anatomy made him a great artist, someone capable to paint The Vitruvian Man. Being a great artist helped him with the knowledge of proportions
Arianne Askham
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Don't expect much.

This reads like a high school senior year history paper...And that's probably an insult to seniors. It does include a synopsis of Leonardo's life, but don't expect any ground breaking commentary. Even so, the greatest weakness is not in the content but in the quality of the writing. This is a great speed read, and a perfect reference book for middle school students, but not substantive enough to keep an advanced reader occupied for long!
Monica
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A brief biography that can be easily read in one sitting. It provides an overview of the intense life of Da Vinci, whose studies cover so many different fields (sculpture, painting, architecture, engineering, music, anatomy, etc). I would suggest to everyone who doesn't know much about this masterful artist to read it, especially before visiting Italy.
Fatima M. Nabil
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
hourly history books are great to read in-between dense books, very short and very informative, they can also serve as introductory books or save you from boredom in transportation or boring lectures.
Da vinci is a fascinating character to me, i see him as the real life Dumbledore and it gives him a magical aura in my imagination :'D i enjoy anything i read about him.
Jim affleck
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was my first read, in my 2020 Challenge..... What a beautiful little book.

So unbelievably well written. Loved how this book, very simply encapsulates the world of a truly, truly gifted human being. Can but only HIGHLY recommend.
A.E. Leger
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really good book. I would recommend this book to other readers. It does read like a high school easy but has a lot of good information.
Munjanpour
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book!

Great book! Very informative and well written book. Provide us with more books like that one. Where I can find books like that for free?
Jayshree Salian
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Leonardo da Vinci is such a phenomenal human, how can a book that describes him be dull.
Esat
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A short biography the famous artist of the 15th and 16th century, Leonardo daVinci. It's length may not be enough to satisfy every reader but it suffices as a "snack" Of a reading time. Nicely written too.
Pradnya
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Informative

Short but impactful. Style of writing quite factual. Nothing complicated. The subject itself is so fascinating that it is an enjoyable read.
Abhijeet Jain
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book! I have read about Leonardo Da Vinci, but this book tells more than any other.

The book gives the glimpse of life during Italian Renaissance era.

The best thing about 'hour history series' is that it is totally based on facts (not opinions) & is short enough to complete in a sitting :)

I am glad that the author talked about the paintings Da Vinci did, and the description is quite remarkable.

Briefly yet vividly described paintings in this book are

The last supper
Monalisa
The Vitruvian Man
Shadira
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it

In
Nabanita Ghosh Mondal
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
He said, ‘Learning never exhausts the mind’ and his life proved it too. A legendary genius, he surpassed time. His thoughts, works, designs have not be able to be deciphered by today’s generation who has the liberty of high tech machines. An eternal mystery, Leonardo Da Vinci proved to us that you could very well be a master of all trades and not a mere jack. The current society thrives on specialization. However, had Leonardo invested all his life in painting, he would not have been able to do ...more
Abid Uzair
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, racy-reads
Leonardo da Vinci was a polymath, which is something that resonated with me. He emphasised on proportion, perspective and anatomy, which is evident in his artistic works.

As a reader, I enjoyed learning about how he viewed art and other subjects. He saw art, science, math and engineering as inter connected subjects which is what makes him a well informed person, a testimony of an intellectual mind.

I am looking forward to read more about his life & work through the eyes of Walter Isaacson.
Terri Gostola
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was quite interesting. Before reading this, about all I knew about Leonardo da Vinci was he painted the Mona Lisa. His mother was a peasant girl and not married to his wealthy father and he therefore had no last name, although he was known throughout the region as Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci (meaning Leonardo, son of Messer Piero from Vinci.) How very interesting that Leonardo loved to do mirror writing! He was very innovative in many way and had quite a few scientific conclusions and in ...more
Nita
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Leonardo da Vinci: A Life From Beginning to End;

This Hourly History edition is a concise and an extremely brief account of the great visionary. This book might look a little informative for people having been acquainted with Vinci only to the level of Monalisa or the Vitruvian man. However, for people having more that an amateurish interest on this man; both his life and work, this book will definitely prove be drab.
Richard
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Original Review posted at CymruBoyo Books

There are few people in the history of the world who evoke as much curiosity and wonder as Leonardo Da Vinci. This book serves as a combination of mini-biography and highlights reel of his career. However there is little here that you won't already know if you've read about him before.
In addition, some of the writing is of a low quality (I wonder if English is the authors first language?) and certain items are written about out of order chronologically.
T
Janice Errington
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Leonardo was a true genius that never abandoned his true human insight of the soul. Gentle, humane, and caring with respect all of his subjects.

Yes he was extremely fortunate to learn from the best artists of the time. But he was far beyond what we consider a "naturalist, or talented". He was driven by his integrity, or spirit to delve deep beyond what the eye could see! I find his life amazing! He had an endless drive of knowledge and his degree of adversity of subject matter overwhelming. How
Avinash Pandey
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This brief review of a stupendous life of the Greatest intellectual of all times, Leonardo da Vinci. He dabbled in art, music, sceine, engineering, weaponry, anatomy, aviatory, flying machines ,architecture, geometry, methematics and nature. During his life he filled 13000 pages of handwritten notes and unmatachble artpeices, namely Mona Lisa, The Last Supper, The Virgin on the Rock, The virgin and the child with St Anne. THe Vitruvian Man, The Baptism of Christ,St Jerome in the wilderness etc . ...more
Vineeta Tyagi
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
"Learning never exhausts the mind."
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."
That's Da Vinci alright, one of the greatest minds in human history. I'm not sure how this book ended up on my kindle but reading it made for a delightful hour. It's short. It's sweet. It does a damn good job at packing Leonardo Da Vinci's epic life in a short book you can read in less than an hour. Maybe two if you're a slow reader.
Aniket Chauhan
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brief and precise.

Considering that the book is totally free, it was a very good read, all the facts and stories were arranged chronologically which made the book very easy and comfortable to read.
I completed the book in one sitting, it took me about 30 minutes to completely read the book.

I rated it one star less because the author could have provided the pictures of the paintings and locations he mentioned in the book, this would have made it a more interactive read.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Napoleon: A Life From Beginning To End (One Hour History Military Generals Book 1)
  • Alexander the Great: The Macedonian Who Conquered the World
  • Genghis Khan: A Life From Beginning To End (One Hour History Military Generals #3)
  • Julius Caesar: A Life From Beginning to End (One Hour History Military Generals Book 4)
  • Nikola Tesla: Imagination and the Man That Invented the 20th Century
  • World War 1: A History From Beginning to End
  • Titanic: The Story About The Unsinkable Ship
  • Greek Mythology: A Concise Guide
  • Vikings: A Concise History of the Vikings
  • The Black Death: A History From Beginning to End
  • Inspiring Thoughts
  • Alexander The Great: A History From Beginning To End (One Hour History Military Generals #1)
  • Abraham Lincoln: A Life From Beginning to End
  • My Life: Albert Einstein
  • Do It Today: Overcome Procrastination, Improve Productivity, and Achieve More Meaningful Things
  • Indra Nooyi - A Biography
  • The Einstein Theory of Relativity
  • Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw
At Hourly History, we focus on publishing history books that are concise, straightforward and take no longer than one hour to read.

Receive our new eBooks for free every Friday.
Sign up at: www.hourlyhistory.com/free

News & Interviews

“Leonardo believed that sight was the most significant sense of all and that one’s eyes were the most important.” 1 likes
“piety;” 0 likes