Start by marking “Babymoon” as Want to Read:
Babymoon

Babymoon

A newborn family spends a quiet day together. It's their babymoon—a time set apart for them to bond, to rest, and to fall in love. Illustrated by Juana Martinez-Neal. (spring 2019)
Hardcover
Published 2019 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Babymoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babymoon

Start your review of Babymoon
Abigail
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Charming Books About the Idea of Babymoon
Coined by the late anthropologist Sheila Kitzinger, MBE, the term "babymoon" refers to the period just after a baby's birth, when the immediate family take the time to welcome the newcomer, and bond with him or her. Author Hayley Barrett celebrates one such babymoon in this delightful picture-book, her rhyming text working together with illustrator Juana Martinez-Neal's artwork to create a sense of peace, warmth and family love...

With a rhyming text just made to be read aloud - "The house is hus
Vera Godley
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The "honeymoon" phase of having a new addition to a family - baby - has been termed "Babymoon" and is quite appropriate. Whether it is a couple embarking on being parents to that new life entrusted to them or an already "bulging at the seams" family, a period of quiet integration and adjustment is a beautiful way to begin this adventure.

Beautifully written rhyme gently takes the reader - young or older - into the confines of the home where the new baby has arrived. The sweet pictures are simply
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Babymoon is a new concept to me, but it's one I'd love to promote. Babymoon is the idea of a family spending time together after the birth of a new baby, getting to know each other, learning about each other, enjoying time together. This book is a beautiful way to share that idea.
Emily
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So much to admire in this sweet and serene picture book. Among them: 1) the concept of "babymoon" itself, wherein a family retreats from the outside world for a time after the birth of a baby in order to create a nurturing cocoon of love for baby and for parents; 2) the kind attentiveness of a father toward a mother, who is no doubt still healing physically but also probably reeling with hormones and emotions; 3) a mother depicted breastfeeding; 4) the comforting inclusion of family pets, who se ...more
Cathy Mealey
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gentle encouragement for new parents embarking on the journey of parenthood, this tender, hushed book is a treasure for the sweet, oh-too-brief babymoon period. Delicate rhyming couplets swaddle the trio as they are "reassuring, building trust - believing that we'll soon adjust" and hazy, warm-toned illustrations glow with a sense of perfect contentment. A delightful, definite purchase for new families and mamas-to-be!

Can I give this one thousand stars, please?
Jillian Heise
Could I see gifting this for baby showers or to new parents? Absolutely. Do I see a place for it in the school library or classroom? I don't think so. It's gorgeous (Juana Martinez-Neal is a favorite illustrator!), but even the author's bio says that it was aimed at parents.
Emily
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: families
Beautiful picture book illustrated by the author-illustrator of “Alma and How She Got Her Name.” I enjoyed the simple text and gorgeous illustrations!
Linda
Those who know best recommend that new parents and baby spend time to rest and to know their new family recently made, a time named "babymoon". In lovely rhyming couplets, ones that are like a lullaby, Hayley Barrett sweetly tells of 'sunny naps' and 'reading stories' along with bringing a chuckle when she writes "We muddle through each new concern. Focusing on the baby snuggling, sleeping, looking along with the parents' happiness and amazement Juana Martinez-Neal brings pages of warmth into he ...more
Margie
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As an educator in an elementary school you are privy to all sorts of student announcements. As soon as they enter your classroom, if they have news, it will eagerly burst forth from their lips. One of their favorite declarations is the birth of a new member in their family.

Most of them wear the cloak of mentorship with pride. They are happy to be the newly christened older sister or brother. They acknowledge the changes already happening in their home. Babymoon (Candlewick Press, April 2, 2019)
Phoebe
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Before reading this, I knew babymoons to be the trips that friends took pre-birth to celebrate their togetherness and have a last hurrah before the kid comes and keeps them up every night for two years. So imagine my surprise at this picture book that recasts a babymoon as the time parents and newborn (and perhaps a cat) take to cozy up and get to know one another --a private time, a sweet time, and, yes, a sleepless time. Hayley's text is thoughtful and knowledgable, the gentle, rolling rhyme b ...more
Marcia
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The rhyme is spot on in this beautiful portrayal of the early nesting of a newborn and the delight and changes he/she will bring to a family. New and expectant parents will embrace the message during what is often a stressful albeit joyous time in their lives. Later, toddlers will enjoy seeing how little and loved they once were and always will be. Lovely soft illustrations of acrylic, colored pencil and graphite.
Nancy
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, inside & out! ...more
Michelle (FabBookReviews)
The house is hushed. The lights are low. We're basking in a newborn glow. The note we post says SEE YOU SOON. At last - we're on our babymoon.

Hayley Barrett (of the upcoming What Miss Mitchell Saw with illustrator Diana Sudyka) and Juana Martinez-Neal ( Alma and How She Got Her Name ) team up for the exquisite and enchanting picture book Babymoon. A term that may now be recognized as one denoting a special vacation that parents take before a baby's birth, this babymoon (as per the book's
molliekay
Disclaimer: A copy was provided for this review by the publisher.

What a perfect message for new parents: take time to find your new normal.
Meredith
A couple spends a quiet day bonding with their newborn child.

This is an extremely gentle and positive new baby book. The illustrations are very soft with curved smudged lines and muted colors. The interactions are depicted with loving tenderness. Both parents are actively engaging with the baby, portraying the father as equally involved. The parents are a mixed ethnic couple, which adds an inclusive dimension to the story.

I really loved how the new parents in this story unapologetically hang a d
Jana
This interesting picture book was partly dedicated to "the late anthropologist Sheila Kitzinger, MBE, who coined the word 'babymoon' to encourage new families to take time to rest, learn, and fall in love" with their newest members. Before reading this lovely book, I had never heard the term before, but I think it's a terrific concept. With warm, comforting artwork and rhyming text, young readers will get to experience the first days after a newborn baby's arrival at home - resting together, rea ...more
Kris
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is gorgeous, and I absolutely love the concept of a "babymoon". As an idealistic parent pregnant with my first, this beautifully illustrated book would easily have been five stars. However, as a mom of five, with my baby days behind me, I wished for a little more realism. There was no inconsolably crying newborn who is hungry because mom's milk hasn't come in. There is not a crying mother whose nipples are cracked and bleeding as she learns to nurse, or a mother who is bottle feeding aching ...more
Tanya
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The term "babymoon" was coined by anthropologist Sheila Kitzinger and is used by midwives and birthing professionals alike. This lovely book shares information about this important bonding time of baby and parents' first days at home together, alone, where they get to know one another, rest, cuddle, eat, and enjoy life as a new family, before others or the world appear on the doorstep to distract them from each another. Barrett's gently rhyming text pairs nicely with Martinez-Neal's soft illustr ...more
Jackie
A lovely, gentle reminder that a new family needs to bond without the noise and interruption of the outside world. Babymoonis full of simple cues and lovely tones to learn about each other and from each other. The world will catch up with them soon enough....now is the time for the family just created.

With its lovely, soft illustrations and sparse words, Babymoon would be a wonderful addition for any newborn’s family library. A gift for the parents and baby alike to cuddle up and read over and
Lisa
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
When a new baby arrives, a young couple spend their babymoon getting to know this new member of their family.

Hayley Barrett's lyrical poetry and Juana Martinez-Neal's soft illustrations invite the reader to share a peaceful, beautiful day - witnessing a circle of love, sharing, learning and experiencing the babies first days. Both mother and father are enjoying the baby as they are falling in love during this special time. The perfect gift for first time parents.

for this and more of my reviews,
J.L. Slipak
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
MY THOUGHTS:

I received this book in exchange for my honest opinion.

This is a book about family, love and enjoying a new baby.

Where man and woman go on a honeymoon.
This is time spent with babymoon. It’s cute!

The story is told in verse, meant to be read with a parent and great for reading with a toddler or tiny tot. The illustrations are vivid and beautiful and accompany the writing perfectly.

I love the hardcover size since it’ll fit in tiny laps perfectly and the book jacket art is just as lovely
Kelsey
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: identity-poc, infant
Age: Infant

A mother, father, and their new infant spend quality time together on their stay-at-home babymoon. Martinez-Neal's soft, glowing illustrations compliment the tenderness and uncertainty of this brand new adventure for a beginning family. A delightful baby shower gift or a first-visit gift for a family.

(Note: the mother is shown nursing the child, so be cautious about gifting to a mother that is not breastfeeding her baby).
Alison
Oh, this book. It expresses such profound love with so much tenderness. The art and the text together are a triumph, and I can't think of a more perfect gift to give new parents (other than love, support, sleep, showers, etc.). I'm making this title a permanent addition to my baby shower gifting list.
Andrea Wang
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, poc
This is an utterly enchanting picture book about taking the time to connect with a new baby after they come home. The rhyming text is charming and soothing to read aloud. The illustrations are gorgeous - I love that the family is diverse and the rounded shapes and color palette add softness and sweetness to the book. New parents and babies will find delight and comfort in this book.
Cara Byrne
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"We'll invite the world in soon, but for now - we're on our babymoon." I love this quiet, beautiful book. While my first days at home with a newborn are rarely so sweet and intimate as this peek into a cozy first couple of days with a new baby, this book brought me to tears to remember those tender (and tough!) first moments.
Ms. Arca
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming concept & imagery. Agree with the reviews that have said this is screaming to be a board book !

Will definitely gift this one to friends with newborns, in celebration of their falling in love with their new family time💕.
Dina
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received my copy today from a LibraryThing early reviewers giveaway. This book is so cute and the illustrations are great. I read it today and will re-read it after my baby is born this July. I am sure she will enjoy it.
Kim Chaffee
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A perfect gift for any expectant parent as this story centers around that precious time when a newborn baby arrives and a family is born. The rhyming text is exquisite and Juana Martinez-Neal’s art adds to the calm, warmth, and love of this special time.
Erin
Wow! I loved this so much. This is going to become my new go-to baby shower gift. Beautiful illustrations and text that work together to perfectly evoke the dreamlike (sleep deprived) state of brand new parenthood.
« previous 1 3 4 next »