Start by marking “Class Action” as Want to Read:
Class Action

Class Action

Student activism meets screwball comedy meets the American judicial system as a boy sets out to prove—to the U.S. Supreme Court—that homework is downright unconstitutional.
Published April 3rd 2018 by HMH

To ask other readers questions about Class Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Class Action

Start your review of Class Action
Ms. Yingling
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Sam is tired of homework. It's not that he wants to do nothing but play video games when he gets home from school-- he wants to be outside, build things with his dad, play piano, and do things OTHER than homework for hours and hours. His friend Alistair would use his time to cook, and Catalina wants to memorize Pi to a thousand digits past the decimal. When Sam finally gets fed up with one project too many threatening to ruin his weekend, he gets suspended for causing a
Alex  Baugh
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Math problems, dioramas, the despised California Missions project, and middle of the night anxiety over a forgotten bibliography leave sixth-grader Sam Warren tired, and with no time to just be a kid, to able able to play with friends Jaesang, Catalina, and Alistair, and to play more jazz piano, his real love. So when his teacher, Mr. Powell, begins handing out review packets for the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress test, Sam decides to take a stand and refuses to do any ...more
Vicki (The Wolf's Den)
A fun and thought provoking story. I personally don't remember much about my homework in school. I remember having it, but quantifying how much I had...I don't think it was as much as these kids have. Considering I had enough time for band and family and tv and books, I either didn't have much or got enough done in class to offset it. Granted, there was never enough time for sleep, and I doubt that will change any time soon.

It wasn't brought up in this story, but I would be interested in seeing
Kathy Mathey
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
More like a 4.5; various high-interest talking points infused with humor, tenderness, and critical thinking.
Chelsey
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Okay, yes, it’s every child’s wish-fulfillment. But I feel fulfilled, damnit!
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Completely implausible, but will give readers a decent idea about how class action lawsuits and the justice system work.

ARC provided by publisher.
Susan
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to @kidlitexchange for providing a copy of this book for review. All opinions are my own.

This book really spoke to my heart! As a teacher and a librarian I am a firm believer in school and education, but I always struggled with the amount of homework that the kids in my school received, as well as my own children. I was always a firm believer that kids need down time after a long day at school, just as adults do. As a mom, I might not have been able to come home and lounge, but what I
Sangeetha Narayan
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Class Action ...by Steven. B. Frank. A book that brought out the child in me ...even as the grown up me kept a cautious eye on the story line. Everyone amongst us, at least everyone who has been a child once, will root for the protagonist ..Sam Warren. A child completely exhausted by his homework schedule. A child longing to spend time with his big sister Sadie. A child longing to build a tree house with his dad. A child longing to play piano and just being a child. And one day, he revolts ...he ...more
Lizz Axnick
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I confess when I first started reading this book, I thought it might be stupid. I was pleasantly surprised to find it is anything but stupid. I quite enjoyed it.

The story is about a sixth grader named Sam who stands up against homework. Granted, I have not been in sixth grade since 1995 but if the homework load is even half as much as Sam describes, it is too much homework. I hardly ever had homework (aside from book reports and similar projects) when I was in elementary school and certainly not
MC Bailey
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was sent a copy of Class Action written by Steve B Frank from @kidlitexchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own. How much homework is too much? Why does childhood get lost because there is so much homework and no time is leftover for kids to just play or hang out? Both of those questions are what San Warren begins with when one day he stands on his desk and refuses to do homework. Sam, a sixth grader at a highly competitive middle school, is suspended for his refusal to do ...more
Ariel Hess
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: This review is solely my opinion. I was provided a copy of this book from @KidLitExchange #partner in exchange for my honest review. Thanks again to @KidLitExchange #partner for access to review a free copy of this book! The comments in this review do not reflect the views of the author or KidLitExchange. The copy used in this review is an uncorrected copy from HMH.

Overall, Class Action is a fantastic story of bravery, commitment, determination, and the power of believing in
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Class Action by Steven D. Frank, 253 pages. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2019. $17.

Language: G; Mature Content: PG; Violence: G

BUYING ADVISORY: EL, MS - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Sam realizes with his large homework load he has very little time for anything else in his life. He dearly loves to play the piano, but no time. He tries unsuccessfully to stage a protest in his middle school classroom but gets expelled instead. While serving his time out of school he befriends his neighbor a
Marty
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: realistic-kids
Sam Warren is a sixth grader who is fed up with homework. He has no time left in his day to play piano or build a tree fort with his Dad. Sadie, Sam’s sister who is a senior in high school, has an even greater mountain of homework every night...it's so much that she's up all night drinking pots of strong coffee to get through it all. It's time to take a stand. Fortunately for Sam, his cantankerous neighbor, Mr. Kalman, is a retired attorney. Sam and Sadie convince Mr. Kalman to help him bring a ...more
Alexa Hamilton
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this fantastical version of the world in which middle schooler Sam can sue the school district for too much homework. But wouldn't that be amazing? And wouldn't it be more amazing if he lost and had to go all the way up to the Supreme Court with the help of his sister and friends? Yeah, it would and there is something that is so fun about this premise. Plus, it also proves the point that kids and teens and people work harder when they believe in what they're doing. I really love ...more
Jessica
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book with a compelling storyline. I was interested if this book would be different from the other "get rid of homework" books out there and its unique take is taking the issue of homework to the courts to decide. If readers pay attention, they can learn a lot about the law, both how it functions and past cases relating to children. I'm curious to get my son's take on the book, but I enjoyed it and would recommend it.
John Neal
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm an adult, and I should read this keeping in mind the importance of education, and how things that seemed hard years ago weren't that hard in hindsight. But that being said I, like the protagonist, spent many, many days in grade school doing homework from the moment I got home until I went to bed. So I found this book extremely satisfying.
Nhi
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was really good! I learned a lot about the Supreme Court. I do receive homework. But it's never as bad as what Sam had described in this book. But my homework takes me up to an hour and that's it. Homework is what I do at home if I don't finish it in school. I really recommend this book to middle schoolers
Chase Webster
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trimester-1
I love reading this book and seeing all of the characters so involved in this one cause of getting the law passed of no homework. the energy in this book is unlike any other book I've read this year. it is very energetic and positive. I give this book a 7 out of 10
Ms.Patterson
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Well, it's not a great sign that I mis-remembered finishing the book, then realized days later that I actually had about 25 pages to go, including the climactic decision. Fun characters but the premise is such a wild ride of fake legal stuff I couldn't love it. I get it, the real process would be too boring and not make a great book.
Debbie Tanner
Sam is a regular kid who is feeling overwhelmed with all his homework, so he decides to take a stand, literally. Through a lot of persistence, Sam and his friends end up in front of the Supreme Court. Very fun story to read with some interesting social commentary.
Judy Desetti
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story. The outcome is a bit far fetched but the journey was good. This author is coming to Topeka KS in October for the Heartland Literature Festival @ Washburn University. I can't wait to hear him speak.
Karina
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book! I loved the humor and the creative ways the author exposed readers to legal terms and significant court cases. Great for fans of Richard Peck, Gary Schmidt, Andrew Clements, and Gordon Korman.
Lynn
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Over-homeworked students will cheer, but the discerning student will realize there is much more to this story than just outlawing homework.
"Class Action" would make a great class read aloud prompting much class discussion!
Alloree
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read. I was enthralled by the end goal in this novel (alas, a world without homework!) and the entire thing was very well written. I love the parts about the "guided-meditation lady". That always cracked me up.
Cherie Smeltzer
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Major suspension of disbelief required, but this is a feel good story that some upper elementary students will find satisfying. Plot progressed quickly, and kids will learn a little something about the judicial process. I really enjoyed it.
Cynthia
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I love Sam and his friends and dear Mr. Kalman! This story shows the power that kids and adults can have when they work together on something they are passionate about! Consider me a new fan!
Daria
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can declare the fact that I will not be doing anymore today! And with that, I can end this review! & sue the school....
Betsie Parren
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was funny and entertaining and I loved the history/government lesson for my kids!
Lauren
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sixth grader, Sam, takes his school district to court to ban homework. His case is appealed to the Supreme Court. Middle grade students are going to love this book.
Mr. Salerno
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A group of kids take their case to eliminate homework all the way to the Supreme Court. ...more

• Wicked Nix
  • Forgotten City
  • Lifeboat 12
  • Inkling
  • The Season of Styx Malone
  • The Worst Night Ever (The Worst, #2)
  • Ra the Mighty: Cat Detective
  • Merci Suárez Changes Gears
  • You Don't Know Everything, Jilly P!
  • Spooked!: How a Radio Broadcast and the War of the Worlds Sparked the 1938 Invasion of America
  • Skylark and Wallcreeper
  • The Benefits of Being an Octopus
  • Olguța și un bunic de milioane