Start by marking “Taking a Chance” as Want to Read:
Taking a Chance

Taking a Chance

TAKING A CHANCE is a fun romantic comedy novella!

Liza Parker has a fear of heights, crowds and small spaces. So what’s a girl like her doing on a crowded elevator going to the top of the Empire State Building? Freaking out, that’s what she’s doing.

Enter Jay Sanders, a tourist who thinks he might be able to help Liza face her fears, but she has to be willing to spend the d
Published November 16th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Taking a Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking a Chance

Jacob Proffitt
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chaste, romance
This was a fascinating short romance story because it's structured differently than most of similar size. So much has to happen for two people to form a romantic connection that most short romance stories depict the culmination. Which is why so many short-form romances are second-chance or friends-to-lovers stories. This story shows that all you really need is to cover the change or choice in a way that the reader can trust will work out in the end.

This story shows the day two strangers meet an
Julie Carpenter
Such a cute, witty and very humorous book with plenty of sweet and swoony moments. I was laughing out loud more times than I could keep track of. Liza has plenty of spunk and her personality shines through. Her insecurities, her sorrows, her lack of confidence, all to be laid at the reader's feet as we watch her in the first few moments completely fall apart. She should turn around and back out, but she made a promise and she's doing her best to fulfill it. She's trying to take a chance and as s ...more
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Loved it! Liza's fears were palpable as well as her emotional grief for her sister. I loved the way Jay connected with her and befriended her- such a sweet, good guy! Liza's inner dialogue was pretty funny, self-aware, and self-deprecating. I was glad to see that she realized the risks of trusting a stranger, and her radar is present as they enjoy their time together in New York City. I especially enjoyed the setting since I got to visit there for the first time a couple years ago and it made th ...more
Katie W
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
See how many pages are in this book? That right there scared me a little bit because it's very tricky to get a full story out in just 52 pages. I'm usually left wanting for more, but guess what?! I was totally surprised to find myself laughing, tearing up, and swooning in this short, but sweet, romantic comedy. I felt like the story was complete and I finished feeling satisfied.

We're basically given a funny/punny guy, a nervous and fearful girl, and lots of elevators in NYC. What are the chance
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
This is a super quick read- a novella on the shorter side. It's also so very cute and it made me smile. Especially the lines like this- "My giddy hormones giggle inside my stomach. Down, ladies." ha. This book is filled with lines like this. This is also the second book I've read this week involving an elevator. :)

Content: Clean

Kindle unlimited
Mara
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars for this sweet novella. Becky Monson sure packed a lot of story into only 52 pages.

Liza Parker has a few fears, one if which is a fear of heights. Because of her sister's bucket list she's going to the top of the Empire State Building where she meets Jay Sanders, who's only in town because of a layover. He helps Liza face her fear of heights, and they end up spending the rest of the day together. Jay helps Liza face some of her fears as she tries to cross things off of her deceased si
Kelly
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novella, 2018, freebie
What a fun read!! I loved the dad jokes, Jay, Liza's fears! The end gave me goosebumps!

Recommend it to everyone. It's a short read!!💞
Kara
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, romance
Short and sweet, this little novella relies heavily on the chemistry between its two main characters. And it surely delivers! From their initial meeting and throughout their one day together each of them slowly opens up to the other and begins to find an understanding heart. Finding Liza's bravery makes for a cute and adventurous day for the two and the slow buildup to the final pages felt very natural. We leave them at a place of beginning and leave me with a smile on my face! Super cute. :)
Annabelle Costa
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a sweet read! Liza is trying to go to the top of the Empire State building but is stopped by her own panic. She runs into Jay, a stranger on the elevator, who decides to try to help her. One by one, he helps her conquer greater and greater heights as the two of them tour New York City.

I love stories about New York City, my hometown, and I feel this book did it justice. I loved the connection between Jay and Liza, and I felt that, as usual for Becky Monson, the protagonist's persona
InD'tale Magazine
A sweet contemporary novella, “Taking a Chance” ends much too soon!

Read full review in the 2017 June issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Bethany Clark
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fun novella! I LOVED the concept of the story - Liza's bucket list. They have a "chance" meeting when Liza is trying to go to the top of the Empire State Building and look over. She is panicking all the way up and it's not looking good.

Jay sees what's going on and tries his best to help her accomplish her goal, it doesn't happen.

But he does realize that he can help her and they take a tour of the city and the ending is adorable!
Christina
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short but very good read!

This novella can easily be read in an hour, but I thought it was very well done. In such a short time it's often hard to put so much characterization and build-up into a story, but the author does it splendidly.
NaDell
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute novella about a girl conquering her fear of elevators/heights because of her sister's challenge. The characters are so sweet and real and likable. It was short, but fun!
Rosie
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eliza (Liza) Parker feels like she is crumbling within herself, riding in an elevator within the Empire State Building. Absolutely terrified of elevators and heights, Liza feels her chest tighten as it becomes more and more difficult to breathe. The kindness of a stranger, Jay Sanders, pulls Liza out of the mental quicksand which is drowning her, enabling her to make her way to the top. Only in town for one day during a stopover to London, Jay is determined to see the city, while helping his new ...more
Jessie
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute!

Liza is afraid of heights, and enclosed spaces, and crowds. Still, she goes to New York to ride to the top of the Empire State Building to complete her sister's bucket list.

Jay Sanders helps her through her elevator fear with charm, and very cheesy jokes. What follows is a fun tour of New York City as Liza and Jay get to know each other and help conquer some of her fears.

This was a short, but cute story. I would love to hear more about Liza and Jay. I loved the humor (the witty one-liners a
Cathy
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love it when Amazon offers books for free by authors that I already know and love. That was the case with this one.

This one is a novella, it's super short and easily readable in one afternoon. I like that you can finish this type of book quickly, but sometimes it seems as though you don't get enough plot or character development in them. That's kind of the case with this one. I liked the plot and the characters, but I just wanted more.

I liked Liza. She's a young woman who deals with a lot of
Christine Jensen
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Seriously darling!

Take a chance on chance....that's what Liza's sisters asks of her before passing away...and gives her a list of things to do...and they are overwhelming for someone who fears almost anything!

Enter Jay, who is just in NYC for a 1 day layover..Jay Googles ideas on how to overcome a fear of heights, and sets off in a journey through the city.

Such a sweet love story!
Cassandra Piat
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this book. It was both touching and laugh-out-loud funny. Liza and Jay were wonderful characters and I just loved the ways in which Jay handled Liza's phobias and panic attacks. And his jokes - oh my God, so bad, but SO hilarious. I really wished I'd got to spend a little bit more time with them though (hint hint, nudge nudge to the author 😃) Well done to Becky Monson for another great book. You're awesome!
Bree
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun and witty romantic comedy. This was a super quick read but the story was cute about Jay who saw Liza on the elevator and decided to take a chance by trying to help her out. And she decides to take a chance on spending the day with a stranger. They form a cute friendship full of silly jokes and a few swoony moments.
Mary
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great quick read

Chose this book because I needed something quick to read while on a short trip. I enjoy Becky Monson's writing style and the simple, yet engaging way she draws you in. I now wish this was a novel, so I can see how Liza and Jay's relationship evolves.
Debby
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Take a chance on Taking a Chance

Taking a Chance is a sweet story, with a heroine I could identify with - she's so real. No, I don't have the same fears of heights, but so many of us have the same fears of "taking a chance".
Anoush Emrazian
Liza meets Jay while trying to experience everything on her deceased sister's bucket list. Her biggest problem is all the things on the list push her outside her very anxious limits. Jay helps her take baby steps and overcome her fears and in the meantime they fall in like...
Rebekah
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute novella

Just a fun cute story. True chick lit here with a little romance and a woman conquering her fears. I enjoyed this quick read.

Content: Clean
Language: a little language, but just a little. No Fbombs. I consider this clean.
Religious: No

Happy reading!
Elizabeth Rishor
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun!

A lot of depth for such a short, fun read. Really liked it s lot. Actually wish it had been longer!
Karen
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fun little book

This was such a fun little book. Since I am also afraid of heights I can totally relate. A nice clean story.
Parizad
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Loved the writing style... Witty n fun dialogues. Feel good book
Anne Lourdes
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a feel good light and hilarious read, this is the book for you
Janet Chamberlain
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chances

This is a very good book. I enjoyed this fast read, and found myself hoping for more. Was connected to the characters
Trulee Goble
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet with a dash of hilarious mixed in. I definitely wanted more!
Tracey
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice, light reading.

• Fetching Sweetness (Love Unleashed, #2)
  • The Cupcake Dilemma (Rock Creek #3)
  • Identical Differences
  • Love in Three Quarter Time
  • Once Upon a Laugh
  • The Esther Paradigm
  • A (kinda) Country Christmas
  • Love Everlasting (Isle of Hope, #2)
  • A Timeless Romance Anthology: Valentine's Day Collection
  • The Truth Between Us (Bentwood #2)
  • Never a Bridesmaid: A May Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings Novella 2, #6)
  • Told You Twice (Told You, #2)
  • The Whys Have It
  • The Perfect Match
  • The Perfect Arrangement: An October Wedding Story (A Year of Weddings Novella 2, #11)
  • Timeless Love: Romantic Stories that Span the Ages
  • A Star to Steer By (Men of Cane River, #4)
  • Kiss the Bride: Three Summer Love Stories
By day, Becky Monson is a mother to three young children, and a wife. By night, she escapes with reading books and writing. In her debut novel, Becky uses humor and true-life experiences to bring her characters to life. She loves all things chick-lit (movies, books, etc.), and wishes she had a British accent. She has recently given up Diet Coke for the fiftieth time and is hopeful this time will l ...more