Start by marking “Boy: A Journey” as Want to Read:
Boy: A Journey

Boy: A Journey

Luke may never have been close to his father, but he feels like he knew him. Jay was a frustrating parent – always urging Luke to go to mortuary school, disapproving of his Broadway aspirations, and favoring his other children. He even had the audacity to die mid-argument, forcing additional guilt on Luke for never meeting his expectations.

However, Luke’s assumptions about
Published December 19th 2016 by NineStar Press (first published December 14th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boy

Start your review of Boy: A Journey
Cheryl
Copy received from author via Indigo Marketing and Design, in exchange for an honest review.

I’m not sure I can put together the words for this review which can do this book justice. I am completely blown away by the way JS conveys the depth of emotion and the complexity of the human mind, not of just our main character Luke but of all the characters who play a part in this story. It had a grip on my heart from the very beginning.

Luke is 26 and has stayed away from home, for more than a year, do
Stacey Jo
I received a copy from the author via Indigo Marketing and Design, in exchange for an honest review.

This is a very deep story that is very thought provoking. It’s not at all light hearted and especially not for the faint of heart. It’s sometimes a tad graphic in the details regarding death. Suicide, or the contemplation of suicide, is one of the topics, so readers should be aware of that if it’s something they might have a problem reading about. You’ll find yourself running through a lot of emot
DMG Byrnes
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
(the entire review can be found here https://dmgbyrnes.com/2017/02/20/revi...)

While speaking with James Stryker after I had finished his debut novel Assimilation, he told me about his latest (then upcoming) novel, Boy: A Journey. After reading the description on his website, I was very much interested in it as well.

A snippet of it is: Everyone knew about Jay's hidden transgender past -- except his son. Now that his father is gone, Luke must seek the truth to understand the man he thought he knew
Becky Condit
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This may be one of the most difficult reviews I’ve ever written, partly because it was not an easy book to read, but also because I want to do justice to a masterful piece of literature.
In this book we encounter deep sorrow, grief no one should ever have to encounter, jealousy, paranoia on a substantial scale, and secrets kept for too long. Let me introduce the main characters: Luke and Beau are twin brother and sister. Their parents are Jay, a mortician, and Jackie. Beau is married to Jake (aka
Steven
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great story, and a good read. Mr Stryker's writing is articulate, perceptive and insightful. I enjoyed how the plot jumps from past to present. I think this is a perceptive way of telling a story, but I had to pay attention to understand what was happening. I did struggle to find liking for Beau, and I felt her and Luke's sudden "ah ha!" moments were a bit sudden and contrived.
Barbie
Feb 18, 2017
Angel
Mar 10, 2017
James Stryker
Mar 10, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Kay Card